PDA

View Full Version : Simple shell scripting question

wr0x2
September 8th, 2006, 01:56 AM
I have a directory which has under it many directories and files with "_20" in the filename in place of a space. I want to go through and rename all these files recursively. What's the easiest way to do this?

goatflyer
September 8th, 2006, 03:19 AM
This doesn't do recursive, but you can supply the directory you want to rename, and keep doing it until you get no more output.

First do this:

gedit rename

Paste this text into the file and save.

#!/bin/bash

for i in `ls $1 | grep _20` ; do
# for all files with _20 in the name,

# first, translate what the new name will look like.
j=`echo $i | sed "s/_20/ /;"`

# show what we're about to do
echo "$i -> $j"

# and do it.
mv $i "$j"

done

Then

chmod +x rename

To rename all files in the current directory:

./rename .

Repeat until no more output.

Then each directory you want to rename the contents of: (suppose its mysubdir/deep

./rename mysubdir/deep

Wash, rinse, repeat. :)

jrohde
December 6th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Hi,

This doesn't work for me. It seems like the script can't handle spaces in file names, which is a problem because "_20" is replaced with a space.

Any suggestions?

Jakob

-J-
December 6th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Replace this line

j=`echo $i | sed "s/_20/ /;"`

with this

j=`echo $i | sed "s/_20//"`

Or, if you have more spaces in the file name use this

j=`echo $i | sed "s/_20//" | sed "s/ /\\ /g"`

jrohde
December 10th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Hi again,

That was better. Thanks!

Now I would like to take it a little step further...

How do I change the script, so that it isn't removing "_20" but instead removes whatevet I provide in a paramter (eg "rename _20).

The ultimate solution is to create a script that searches for all possible "_xx" combinations and replace them with the correct characters, but the above solution with a parameter will be ok for now.

Is that only a small change?

Jakob

tomj
December 20th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Hi this will be my first attempt at shell scripting under linux or any os for that matter

when i first tried the code i got this error mv: cannot stat 'file name' no such file or directory.

I Then had a look at the code and changed

for i in `ls $1 | grep _20` ; do
to

for i in `ls $i | grep _20` ; do

When i had done this i got an output of the file showing
file_20name -> filename

I repeated until all the _20's had been removed. However the actual file name had not been changed but there was a file of 100bytes in the same folder as rename with the correctish name containing the text file_20name -> filename

I fiddled with it a bit more and now when i run it nothing at all happens even though the file names are unchanged. I have tried the variations of j=... . I then went back to the start remaking rename using the original code got the error messages made the change and still nothing happens](*,) .

Any help would be apreciated

TyphoonJoe
December 22nd, 2006, 07:40 PM
Try using a combination of three tools: find, xargs, and rename

find /directory -name "*_20*" | xargs rename s/\_20//

This should find ALL files in specified directory and ALL subdirectories with _20 in the name and rename them to strip that part of the name out.

You should be able to make a shell script that takes a parameter rather than hard coding "_20" if you will do this often.

tomj
January 6th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Hi,
If anyone else has this problem and it is to do with music Amarok has a feature called organise files which does this and a few other neat things. Currently with exams coming up in a week learning about shell scripting got pushed near the bottom of my prioritys.
Thanks for the suggestion TyphoonJoe when I have more time that will be really usefull and much more powerful.