PDA

View Full Version : Dosbox is amazing

majesticturkey
September 8th, 2006, 01:43 AM
I just want to take this time to mention that Dosbox is awesome.

A client of mine requested that I take a look at a database which they had on CD to see if I could get it running. They had problems on their own computers. Of course, we're talking a bunch of 50-60 year old WASPs, so it's not like they're computer geniuses. But I said I would and report what I found.

I put a CD in, and find out that this databse is actually a program. I saw a .exe and lots of files which I assumed held all the info for the database. I also saw the lovely "DOS4GW.EXE" which I instantly realized meant this was a DOS program. I also realized that I could use DOSbox to run the program.

a sudo apt-get install dosbox later, I right-clicked on the .bat program and chose to open it with dosbox. Without a hitch, it ran perfectly. Who'da thought a Linux user would be running dos programs more easily than a Windows user?

sup
September 8th, 2006, 02:46 AM
Who'da thought a Linux user would be running dos programs more easily than a Windows user?
Well, since dosbox has also windows version this is not really true but otherwise i can only agree, dosbox is a great project

SoundMachine
September 8th, 2006, 02:53 AM

A client of mine requested that I take a look at a database which they had on CD to see if I could get it running. They had problems on their own computers. Of course, we're talking a bunch of 50-60 year old WASPs, so it's not like they're computer geniuses. But I said I would and report what I found.

I put a CD in, and find out that this databse is actually a program. I saw a .exe and lots of files which I assumed held all the info for the database. I also saw the lovely "DOS4GW.EXE" which I instantly realized meant this was a DOS program. I also realized that I could use DOSbox to run the program.

a sudo apt-get install dosbox later, I right-clicked on the .bat program and chose to open it with dosbox. Without a hitch, it ran perfectly. Who'da thought a Linux user would be running dos programs more easily than a Windows user?

The most amazing thing is that it runs dos programs 10x better than XP's compatibility mode does, now THAT is an achievement.

vayu
September 8th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Could you use dosbox to run windows 3.1?

SoundMachine
September 8th, 2006, 03:18 AM
Could you use dosbox to run windows 3.1?

Yes, i have done that to run old apps instead of running it in a VM.

SoundMachine
September 8th, 2006, 03:21 AM

I don't get it though, a database and dos4gw, that has to be for the interface and not for the database, couldn't you just extract the database instead? That would make it easier to distribute and use on all kinds of systems.

jISh
September 8th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Agreed, DOSBox is a great tool for retro applications and games alike.

majesticturkey
September 8th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Yes, the interface was the reason for the memory expansion. However, I tried looking in the various files, and none of them were extractable. It's all encrypted. Makes sense because this was some very close information for the company.