PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in getting a CD

kadymae
April 10th, 2005, 12:01 AM
So, I just completed my request for a CD.

There was a wee snafu in the process which made me laugh, so I'll share the whole thing with you.

---

I fill out the form and ask for 1 copy of Ubuntu 5.04 for PPC

I get an error message and an email adress to contact to clear the matter up.

This is the message I just sent:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I recently tried to place an order for 1 (one) copy of an Ubuntu 5.04 CD for PPC.

And got this error:

You are ordering a disproportionately large number of AMD64 and/or PowerPC CDs. You cannot do this inside the shipit interface. If you really want this many CDs, email info@shipit.ubuntulinux.org with: (1) the email address that you used to place the order (2) the numbers and type of CDs you are requesting and (3) the reason you need so many CDs of alternative architectures.

(1) email: kadymae@name of domain here.com

(2) I "really want this many CDs": 1 (one) Ubuntu 5.04 for PPC CD. (Yes, I know this is a disproportinately large number when compared to zero, but I'm just a greedy wench.)

(3) The reason I need "so many" ;) PPC CDs is that all of my computers at home are Apples, and Apple has never made any x86 computers.

Thanks (for the service and the laugh.)

---

kassetra
April 10th, 2005, 01:21 AM
(2) I "really want this many CDs": 1 (one) Ubuntu 5.04 for PPC CD. (Yes, I know this is a disproportinately large number when compared to zero, but I'm just a greedy wench.)

(3) The reason I need "so many" ;) PPC CDs is that all of my computers at home are Apples, and Apple has never made any x86 computers.

Oh yeah, you're totally greedy wanting a whole 1 cd! Why, that is 100x times the number most people order!

Sheesh. What a wench. ;)

BWF89
April 10th, 2005, 01:53 AM
Does Ubuntu run better on Apple or PC?

Rogee
April 10th, 2005, 05:21 AM
I had the same problem when I requested 1 PPC copy and 1 x86_64 copy. It must be a bug in the web application that they need to fix.

Anyway, since I've already ordered a copy of Warty, does that mean that they will automatically send me a copy of Hoary? I couldn't really find the option to "tell them" I want a new copy when I logged in.

Rogee
April 10th, 2005, 05:48 AM
Does Ubuntu run better on Apple or PC?

I installed Hoary on my PC earlier today, and right now I'm running the Hoary LiveCD on my Mac. I honestly don't think there's too much of a difference, but I guess it all depends on your system's specs.

It would be interesting to run tests on comparable PCs/Macs. I can't do that since my Mac is a G3 and my PC is much newer. But everything looks the same and runs fairly smooth. One bonus: Sound DOES work on my Mac, while I'm still having trouble getting my soundcard working on my PC.