PDA

View Full Version : kickoff - New menu for kde - Novel and KDE are the masters of Linux

darkhatter
September 7th, 2006, 09:00 PM
http://home.kde.org/~binner/kickoff/sneak_preview.html

first slab now kickoff

this will find its way kubuntu because its becoming part of kde :D

tseliot
September 7th, 2006, 09:21 PM
I can't wait to try it :mrgreen:

prizrak
September 7th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I'm not a fan of KDE but damn that is hot.

weatherman
September 7th, 2006, 09:44 PM
how much will we have to wait? :KS

mostwanted
September 7th, 2006, 10:03 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=241625

chaosgeisterchen
September 7th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Hmh.. Novell does sth to support KDE :)?

Great. App is also great.

Cyraxzz
September 7th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Impressive, the current menu of KDE is not well orginized in my opinion.

lapsey
September 7th, 2006, 10:35 PM
tbh i find that a lot more time consuming than having favourites right there on a panel.

prizrak
September 7th, 2006, 11:12 PM
tbh i find that a lot more time consuming than having favourites right there on a panel.

No one is saying you can't have both. I think for stuff you don't access as often this is nicer.

skymt
September 7th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Oh yeah? Yeah? Well GNOME has... New icons! Take that! ;)

Omnios
September 7th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Amazzing. Yet another Linux step in the right Linux direction.

darkhatter
September 7th, 2006, 11:22 PM
I didn't see the other thread can some one combine this with the other one

viciouslime
September 7th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Oh yeah? Yeah? Well GNOME has... New icons! Take that! ;)

lmao! Nicely put.

On a serious note though, I think I would find it a bit annoying looking at the flash menu. It would be novel at first, but it would quickly become annoying if I had to use it all the time I think...

chaosgeisterchen
September 7th, 2006, 11:58 PM
I liked this interview with one of those KDE-marketing guys on chaosradio (German) talking 'bout how good the collaboration between GNOME and KDE people is :)

%hMa@?b<C
September 8th, 2006, 01:49 AM
very svelte. Too bad I'm a gnome/xfce guy:rolleyes:

reacocard
September 8th, 2006, 02:54 AM
That's an awesome menu. if I used KDE I'd use it. But I use Gnome with USP, which is almost as cool. USP has plugin support, which will make it even better.

SoundMachine
September 8th, 2006, 02:56 AM
http://home.kde.org/~binner/kickoff/sneak_preview.html

first slab now kickoff

this will find its way kubuntu because its becoming part of kde :D

*Reboots to SuSE to check out factory*

grte
September 8th, 2006, 08:23 AM
I liked this interview with one of those KDE-marketing guys on chaosradio (German) talking 'bout how good the collaboration between GNOME and KDE people is :)

I expect the animosity between the two stems from users and not devs.

NoTiG
September 8th, 2006, 08:51 AM
it would have been cooler if the doors "the end" showed up when he typed the end.

and why are they using"my computer" . copying microsoft? the funny thing is even microsoft is ditching that name

basse1989
September 14th, 2006, 03:59 PM
eeeuuuw, awfully KDEish... eew...

darkhatter
September 14th, 2006, 04:13 PM
eeeuuuw, awfully KDEish... eew...

care to explain whats so bad about it

PatrickMay16
September 14th, 2006, 04:16 PM
What is really good about this is the ability to search the menu. Applications menus get massive as you install more and more stuff... and it becomes a chore to find anything. Except with this, where you just open the search box and find what it is that you're looking for.

Brunellus
September 14th, 2006, 04:20 PM
care to explain whats so bad about it
that it isn't GNOME? :)

Or fluxbox. or e17....

GeneralZod
September 14th, 2006, 04:29 PM
What is really good about this is the ability to search the menu. Applications menus get massive as you install more and more stuff... and it becomes a chore to find anything. Except with this, where you just open the search box and find what it is that you're looking for.

Personally, Katapult has pretty much completely replaced the K-Menu for me.

hizaguchi
September 14th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Personally, Katapult has pretty much completely replaced the K-Menu for me.
Yup, I with there was a Katapult equivalent for Gnome. There's Alt+F2, but somehow that's not the same.

Somenoob
September 14th, 2006, 05:25 PM
What is the ETA for this new KDE start menu?

darkhatter
September 14th, 2006, 09:13 PM
whenever the next stable version of open suse comes out, and I *THINK* with kde 4

chaosgeisterchen
September 14th, 2006, 09:16 PM
I do not think so..

openSUSE 10.2 Schedule

Current version released on Thursday, 7th of September: Alpha 4

Next version Thu, Oct 05: Alpha5

The final release of openSUSE 10.2 is scheduled for Thu, Dec 7. Please read the Roadmap and the Changes on Factory/News for more information about the next release.

So it will be certainly out before KDE 4 is released. I do not think that KDE 4.0.0 will be fully stable.

darkhatter
September 14th, 2006, 09:18 PM
that it isn't GNOME? :)

Or fluxbox. or e17....

I'm not sure whats so good about gnome......fluxbox, e17 to be fair they aren't in the same game as kde. They're light but thats all they are.....

Brunellus
September 14th, 2006, 09:23 PM
I'm not sure whats so good about gnome......fluxbox, e17 to be fair they aren't in the same game as kde. They're light but thats all they are.....
I'm not so sure what's so great about KDE, either.

Just a difference of preference. Both are good: I happen to use GNOME more because I just like it better. But I have used KDE, and follow its progress. It's a good choice, just not mine.

chaosgeisterchen
September 14th, 2006, 09:23 PM
KDE is a fully evolved desktop environment targeting fully software package for everything a user needs throughout his working process on the pc based upon the Qt-graphiclibs.

GNOME does not have the same target I assume. Firefox is _not_ a part of GNOME, but Epiphany (cannot spell the name, argh) is? I'm not too certain. But integration between apps shows, that KDE is really forcing unity within the DE. Everyting runs on the same emphasis and can therefore communicate with each other 'K-Part'.

E.g. Kontact, Kopete, Amarok.

Brunellus
September 14th, 2006, 09:27 PM
KDE is a fully evolved desktop environment targeting fully software package for everything a user needs throughout his working process on the pc based upon the Qt-graphiclibs.

GNOME does not have the same target I assume. Firefox is _not_ a part of GNOME, but Epiphany (cannot spell the name, argh) is? I'm not too certain. But integration between apps shows, that KDE is really forcing unity within the DE. Everyting runs on the same emphasis and can therefore communicate with each other 'K-Part'.

E.g. Kontact, Kopete, Amarok.
Gnome, I think, was really meant to be more modular, with far more interchangable parts, than full-on KDE.

chaosgeisterchen
September 14th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Hmh.. it's good to have both options but I do prefer the KDE-model of unity.

I do like it, if apps can interoperate that great!

Konqueror is a killer application IMHO. With every possible plugin installed he's indeed behind Firefox and Opera but he can manage so many more things. This is a direct interface between local and remote files, may it be a smb or nfs-share, a ftp-server or simply another web ressource like a mere website.

You see, I am a KDE-user. I do know the severe drawbacks included while using KDE (stabilty problems *sigh*) but I do know about the advantages as well. And there are more than disadvantages.

But everyone is free to deceide for their own sake.

MetalMusicAddict
September 14th, 2006, 09:32 PM
I'm not a fan of KDE but damn that is hot.
You said it. Nice. ;)

darkhatter
September 14th, 2006, 09:33 PM
I'm not so sure what's so great about KDE, either.

Just a difference of preference. Both are good: I happen to use GNOME more because I just like it better. But I have used KDE, and follow its progress. It's a good choice, just not mine.

I think its more then a preference but suit your self. just remember I don't go into fluxbox threads and talk about how bad it is (not that is, I played with it in slackware)

chaosgeisterchen
September 14th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Dont argue with your foe in his hometown ;)

Hmh.. as I said, I am happy to have the choice at last.

darkhatter
September 14th, 2006, 10:45 PM
I'm installing the suse factory to play with the menu I can't wait anymore:D :D :D

SoundMachine
September 15th, 2006, 02:09 AM
If you need any help with that alpha4 then PM me.

A good day to do the upgrade would be Fridays only.

Oh, and PM packs don't work too great with factory, you'll need to rename a file or two and download and force the install if you intend to use it, if you can't handle that then use release instaad.

The suse menu's in both KDE and Gnome are the most advanced things that have happened to either desktop environment in four versions, how sad is that?

SoundMachine
September 15th, 2006, 02:11 AM
Gnome, I think, was really meant to be more modular, with far more interchangable parts, than full-on KDE.

Yah and they failed, BIG TIME, today it's the other way around x100.

darkhatter
September 15th, 2006, 02:42 AM
I'm to lazy to hunt down 5 cdrw so I'll wait till they come out with a dvd,

SoundMachine
September 15th, 2006, 02:58 AM
I'm to lazy to hunt down 5 cdrw so I'll wait till they come out with a dvd,

Uhm, there is a DVD download.

Don't tell me i have to find it for you, it's been months but i burned it on a DVD-RW at the time.

darkhatter
September 15th, 2006, 03:06 AM
Uhm, there is a DVD download.

Don't tell me i have to find it for you, it's been months but i burned it on a DVD-RW at the time.

dvd version of alpha 4, I'm not a noob

SoundMachine
September 15th, 2006, 03:17 AM
dvd version of alpha 4, I'm not a noob

If you can't download it you most certainly are, tell me what the problem is.

n00b. ;)

Castar
September 15th, 2006, 05:31 PM
There is no DVD for the development versions. Even for the final release, the DVD comes out after some time.

If you want to see the development version you have to download the CDs.

darkhatter
September 15th, 2006, 07:29 PM
There is no DVD for the development versions. Even for the final release, the DVD comes out after some time.

If you want to see the development version you have to download the CDs.

I was guessing that was the case, so I'm going to do a text install then point it to the factory and install kde that way.