PDA

View Full Version : I want to set up a Computer Business

CameronCalver
September 7th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Hello i am a 15 year old boy and i made my first computer recently and i thought becuase it is so easy and i can get ubuntu for free and all i should set up a business.
Becuase electrical shops sell there computer for around 2000 aud ( about 1000 american) i could build a similar one for at least 700 aud but i have looked on ebay and although it is so secure i dont think it is the way to go becuase there are already so many cheaps computers on it and not very many people trust it.
I live in a small town so there no point advertising it ( becuase i have already tryed this) and i though about making a website and sending the people the pre built computer but even then no one will ever go onto the website unless i tell them to so that is no good way.
So what do you guys think i should do to earn some money

Lord Illidan
September 7th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Take my advice and start learning how to program. Then you can sell your own programs. The earning money part can come later. Bill Gates didn't get rich by selling computers....well, Micheal Dell did.

CameronCalver
September 7th, 2006, 09:24 AM
nah i would rather sell computer i dont want that much money

Lord Illidan
September 7th, 2006, 09:38 AM
nah i would rather sell computer i dont want that much money

I don't know how things go down under.. but I would not buy computers from a 15 year old unless the prices were really downright cheap. It's all about the warranty, etc. Could you give a good warranty to customers? And what about your image?

No offence meant btw.

Bavo
September 7th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Like Lord Illidan said, i don't think a lot of people will buy a computer from a 15 years old. But if you handle it professionally enough people might forget that fact, but just remember that your age will make it a lot more difficult.

That said, there are quite a lot of things you have to consider and take care of if you want to start your own buissines.

I sold quite a few computers while i was a student, not really a buisness just selling computers to people i know and people who know people that ... (you get the idea).

First you need to have quite a lot of hardware, if something doesn't work you'll have to replace different parts of the computer to find out what's actually broken, so that would require some kind of investment. Don't think you can start a buissnes without money. Also every computer you'll sell you'll have to buy first.

You'll also need to think about warranty, if you buy hardware in a local store, you'll have to run to that store everytime someone brings in his/her computer. So you'd best become a hardware resseller, but for that you age could cause trouble.

Considering the fact that you plan on installing ubuntu on these computers, you'll also need to provide support. People will call you constantly, believe me. You'll also have to check if all hardware you sell is compatible with linux.

I think you'd be better of going to a computer store and ask if you can work for them, you could suggest them to let you install and support linux for them. Altough i guess you'd be very lucky if they accept your offer :)

Anyway whatever you do, good luck.

Just think about the fact that it's not as simple as it might look

Michael_aust
September 7th, 2006, 11:50 AM
The market for computers is competitive now its hardly worth getting into. Not only do you have to compete with the big chain stores selling Packard Bells, HP etc, but then there are loads of people with small businesses doing the exact same thing.

Rather then building computers, I would say look towards offering support. Be the guy who gets called out when someones daughter has riddled there machine with cr*p from going on dodgy sites.

Or do upgrades rather then building machines. Just advertise to upgrade ram etc.

You can easily charge money for fixes peoples software problems e.g. format the machines. OOr for fitting hardware, easy money then. Then you dont have so much risk with soME coming back saying such and such a thing has died, I only bought this from you last week. You dont have to worry about warrenties etc.

djsroknrol
September 7th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Everyone here is right..the hardware end of business is a dead end street...but like my father use to tell me "Think with your head not with your back" holds true here...

There have been quite a few good suggestions made in this thread and the one that makes the most sense to me is the support idea...great money in support with all the non techies in the world.

You seemed to be a "hands on" type of person by your first response, but you might think on some of the previous suggestions...

Lord Illidan
September 7th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Support sounds right.

Or you could be a techie, you know. Here in Malta, techies charge outrageous amounts of money. By undercutting them, you can make good profits.

Brunellus
September 7th, 2006, 03:20 PM
your profits will not be sales, but service. Your cash cows are windows users, who will pay for system maintenance and crapware removal.

Hardware sales is a bad business: low margins, inventory risk, and the rest of it.

Demio
September 7th, 2006, 04:13 PM
1- Make computers
2- ????
3- Profit

Jokes aside, I think you shouldn't go blindly in such venture. You need more experience and to grow a bit older.

The only business you can get into so young is the internet business (web development, etc).

EdThaSlayer
September 7th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Why dont you start to work for a little computer store?Then after you have gotten too good for that little store, go to something bigger(like Dell perhaps?) and when you get too good with the saved up money(if you saved...money) start your own store.