PDA

View Full Version : How do you care for you laptop/LCD screen?

MetalMusicAddict
September 6th, 2006, 10:47 PM
I have one of those Dell 2405s. Im SUPER paranoid about people gettin close to it because people like to touch screens. :mad: Anyway, Im wondering when you guys have to clean your LCD screens how do you do it?

John.Michael.Kane
September 6th, 2006, 10:50 PM
I used 50/50 alcohol/water mix with one of them cloths the eye doctor gives you

curuxz
September 6th, 2006, 11:42 PM
I use bleach...

nah just kidding, I use a soft cloth, like the ones you get with glasses

Stew2
September 6th, 2006, 11:51 PM
I use a damp (not wet, just damp) soft cloth to remove spots etc. and then dry/buff it with another soft cloth. If I have a mark that wont come off with just a damp cloth I will use a little eyeglass cleaning solution (just alcohol and water) on a soft cloth to get it off.

prizrak
September 7th, 2006, 02:27 AM
I use a velour sleve from my sports suit, works like a charm :)

jISh
September 7th, 2006, 04:42 AM
Damn cloth and then dry soft cloth.
For both my laptop LCD and desktop LCD.

Bezmotivnik
September 7th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I just got a new TFT/LCD monitor and it has all these dire warnings against using anything alcohol- or ammonia-based to clean the screen.

I guess this leaves water, mild soap and possibly spit.

prizrak
September 7th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Generally speaking a dry cloth will be just fine. Something sorta fuzzy seems to work best. The best cleaning cloth I have ever found for LCD's is the carrying case to my SandDisk Sansa e270 it's like sand paper for LCDs :)

Bezmotivnik
September 7th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Generally speaking a dry cloth will be just fine.
Not in the filth and squalor of my work environment!

The screen gets coated in really shocking varieties of sticky food, drink and industrial chemicals, all liberally mixed with dust, lint and cat hair. That's not counting the mystery muck that defies description and analysis.

I've had to scrape this stuff off a glass screen with a razorblade.

:roll:

prizrak
September 7th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Not in the filth and squalor of my work environment!

The screen gets coated in really shocking varieties of sticky food, drink and industrial chemicals, all liberally mixed with dust, lint and cat hair. That's not counting the mystery muck that defies description and analysis.

I've had to scrape this stuff off a glass screen with a razorblade.

:roll:

Holly crap dude, you might wanna get some screen protectors (if they make them that large).

Bezmotivnik
September 7th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Holly crap dude, you might wanna get some screen protectors (if they make them that large).
Funny you should mention it, but this new 19"er has a shipping cover over the screen that doesn't seem to affect the display at all, and I just can't bring myself to take it off! :mrgreen:

Bezmotivnik
September 7th, 2006, 02:37 PM
I used 50/50 alcohol/water mix
Wait, I just noticed this.

Aren't you describing 100-proof vodka?;)

kerb
September 7th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I have the same screen as you and I wipe it with regular old water and soft paper towel, and later buff it with a silk cloth. Works nicely.

fuscia
September 7th, 2006, 04:12 PM
a timely thread: someone's managed to get some black fur on my screen. "round up the usual suspects."

Danni
September 7th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Baby wipes. No alcohol, but whatever soap is in there works wonders.

Used for both my desktop LCD and my laptop.

Dinerty
September 7th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Do any of you buy specialized material for cleaning?, I heard you can buy special types of cloth's for cleaning laptop/lcd display's?

tribaal
September 7th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Baby wipes.

+1

- trib'

Bezmotivnik
September 8th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Baby wipes.
Funny, but I keep hearing of all sorts of strange things people use these for without involving infants of any species. Car care and whatnot. :-k

The thing that makes me wonder, though, is that they supposedly have some kind of lanolin or baby oil (which is not actually made from babies, I'm told!) in them, and that seems like it would leave a nasty residue on the screen. No?

omns
September 8th, 2006, 08:20 AM

MetalMusicAddict
September 12th, 2006, 01:33 PM
a timely thread: someone's managed to get some black fur on my screen. "round up the usual suspects."
For me thats the kids. :)

Baby wipes. No alcohol, but whatever soap is in there works wonders.

Used for both my desktop LCD and my laptop.
I tried this the other day and it actually works pretty well.

People mentioned alcohol. I thought that was bad for screens?

paul cooke
September 12th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I bought some screen cleaning tissues that stated on the package that they were specifically for cleaning PDA, TFT, LCD, plasma, laptop and scanner screens...

IXOS make them

google link here:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=ixos+screen+cleaning+tissues&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

hizaguchi
September 12th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Windex and a paper towel

Omnios
September 12th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Hi I use a a lightly dampt cloth and gentle rubbing.

Also note I forget the chemical but there is a cleaner that will damage the cover screen

MetalMusicAddict
September 12th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Windex and a paper towel

Doesnt that have ammonia in it? I thought that damages plastic?

Old Pink
September 12th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Lint free cloth, and a duster. :)