PDA

View Full Version : If Gnome is going all GTK what will happen to XFCE?

MetalMusicAddict
September 6th, 2006, 10:41 PM
If I have it right (pardon if Im off) Gnome is moving all GTK. Is that right? If so what will happen to XFCE? I thought that was one of the appeals of it. Being all GTK.

skymt
September 6th, 2006, 10:46 PM
GNOME is already completely GTK, and has been from the start. XFCE is a lightweight alternative to GNOME; both use GTK.

MetalMusicAddict
September 6th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Gnome uses Gnome libraries plus GTK ones. XCFE uses only GTK libraries. Thats the difference. Gnome is moving all GTK.

aysiu
September 6th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Gnome has Metacity.

prizrak
September 7th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Nothing is going to happen to XFCE. The reason people like XFCE using GTK is the fact that you can use all the GNOME apps on it w/o having to do anything extra. Other than that they appeal to different niches, Gnome is a full DE with loads of features, XFCE while still a full DE is not nearly as full featured as Gnome.

MetalMusicAddict
September 7th, 2006, 02:33 AM
Nothing is going to happen to XFCE. The reason people like XFCE using GTK is the fact that you can use all the GNOME apps on it w/o having to do anything extra. Other than that they appeal to different niches, Gnome is a full DE with loads of features, XFCE while still a full DE is not nearly as full featured as Gnome.
So then maybe you can help me. If XFCE (which I love BTW) can use all the Gnome apps what were all the gnome-libs for and why the move to get rid of 'em?

Thanx.;)

croak77
September 7th, 2006, 02:43 AM
XFCE has some libs too. Not as much as GNOME but GNOME is a much larger project. Who said GNOME are getting rid of their libs? Do you have a link?

MetalMusicAddict
September 7th, 2006, 02:47 AM
Who said GNOME are getting rid of their libs? Do you have a link?Was something I read a bit ago. Im trying to get info here from people who know more than me.

prizrak
September 7th, 2006, 02:29 PM
So then maybe you can help me. If XFCE (which I love BTW) can use all the Gnome apps what were all the gnome-libs for and why the move to get rid of 'em?

Thanx.;)

You will always need extra libs for extra software :) There are also Gnome libs in Gnome right now in addition to GTK so that's where they come from ;)

On a more serious note there are quite a few advantages to XFCE and Gnome both using GTK. You can use Gnome themes on XFCE seamlessly, you get the same look and feel across the board, there are integration possibilities. So to address the OP nothing is gonna happen to XFCE if anything it will be better for XFCE when Gnome goes all GTK

siacs
September 7th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Was something I read a bit ago. Im trying to get info here from people who know more than me.

Are you referring maybe to Project Ridley?

http://live.gnome.org/ProjectRidley

mostwanted
September 7th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Are you referring maybe to Project Ridley?

I was just about to post that ;)

Project Ridley just means that the long term goal of Gnome is to add the most used parts of the Gnome libraries (less focus on being portable) to the Gtk+ libraries (high focus on being portable between operating systems).

bruce89
September 7th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Project Ridley just means that the long term goal of Gnome is to add the most used parts of the Gnome libraries (less focus on being portable) to the Gtk+ libraries (high focus on being portable between operating systems).

GTK+ 2.10 introduces printing functionality, and libgnomeprint and libgnomeprintui are to be depreciated because of this.

Next will be libglade.

siacs
September 7th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I was just about to post that ;)

You have to be quick around here ;)

bruce89
September 7th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Just to clear up, even if all that GNOME depended on was in GTK+, Xfce would still exist, as it is designed to be lightweight.

ComplexNumber
September 7th, 2006, 07:20 PM
If I have it right (pardon if Im off) Gnome is moving all GTK. Is that right? If so what will happen to XFCE? I thought that was one of the appeals of it. Being all GTK.
it means that xfce will have even more features. many gnome libs are being placed into gtk.