PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible? (to do with printing and windows and servers)

slimdog360
September 6th, 2006, 08:43 AM
I dont know to much about this sort of thing so there might be a giant flaw that Im not thinking of so please tell me if I have something completely wrong.

Is it possible to use a small inexpensive computer to act as a server with windows on it, or perhaps linux but with vmware server edition on it and windows on that. Install the printer on the server and use it to print from linux.
Of course Id want to install the windows drivers on it to give me full compatibility.

I have an old computer lying around collecting dust. I could put a small power supply in it and just turn it off at night.
I wouldnt really need any fans (except for the cpu fan) or anything if Im not doing to much with it so it would be very quite.

I wouldnt need to do this sort of thing if canon would start making drivers. I have a canon ip3000 which I can get working but it doesnt auto duplex in linux.

NESFreak
September 6th, 2006, 09:35 AM
if the windows printer is shared over the windows network, then you can add it to linux by when adding a printer to ubuntu selecting network and windows printer(smb) it'll auto detect. I think that if there is some way to give vmware DMA to the port at wich the printer is it may work. Else you could, as you said run a dedicated windows pc for your printer.

NESFreak. (i think this isn't a thread for the cafe. Anyone to move this?)

prizrak
September 6th, 2006, 02:32 PM
You won't be able to use full functionality of the printer if you are printing from Linux.