PDA

View Full Version : I Need build-essential Package, But An Offline Installer

ZuLuuuuuu
September 5th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Hi, I have a problem about installing softwares via internet. I have two computers, actually one is mine and one is my father's. Because of a "cable" problem only my father's computer is connected to internet. But Ubuntu is only installed on "my" computer. I need to get the build-essential package to be able to install other .deb files or source codes that I downloaded via my father's computer. But I cannot install build-essential package because my computer is not connected to internet and synaptic cannot find that package.

It surprised me that Ubuntu has not any installed C compiler by default. Anyone here have an advice for me?

ciscosurfer
September 6th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Go to http://packages.ubuntu.com/ on your father's computer, download the .deb file, burn it to a disc, pop that disc in your drive, copy the .deb file over to your desktop, and then install it by clicking the icon.

toojays
September 6th, 2006, 08:22 AM
If you follow ciscosurfer's advice, make sure you download the deb files for all the necessary dependencies of build-essential as well. These are listed on packages.ubuntu.com.

Another point is that if you have (or can download) the "alternate" install CD (as opposed to the LiveCD installer), build-essential is on that CD. You can add this CD in Synaptic, and then Synaptic will know to install build-essential from the CD rather than try and use the network.

Another way to do it: on your computer, run "sudo apt-get --print-uris install build-essential", and answer yes when it asks if you want to continue. It will then print the addresses of the packages you need. If you download these and copy them to "/var/cache/apt/archives/" on your computer, then you can run "sudo apt-get build-essential" and it will install them from your hard drive.

ZuLuuuuuu
September 6th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Thank you very much, the easiest way was to insert Desktop CD and then use Synaptic. But I will try the other ways you mentioned to install other software that are not in Desktop CD.

loveuchicks
August 18th, 2008, 02:18 PM
i m unable to get build-essential ... i think i require that for c++ header file.. can any one give me link for that please i dont have internet on my comp

MONODA
August 18th, 2008, 06:32 PM
i suggest that you buy the dvd collection containing the ubuntu repos since you do not always have access to the internet. You can probably get them from linuxcd.com or osdisk.com.

WW
August 18th, 2008, 08:45 PM
i m unable to get build-essential ... i think i require that for c++ header file.. can any one give me link for that please i dont have internet on my comp

Same advice as above: I'm pretty sure you can install build-essential from your installation CD.

JMannering129
April 13th, 2009, 02:28 AM
what build package should i download there is a bunch of them and i just don't know which one everyone is talking about

slavik
April 13th, 2009, 02:58 AM
We don't ressurect dead threads around here.