PDA

View Full Version : What does your least tech-savvy parent figure use?

aysiu
September 5th, 2006, 09:17 PM
I know polling a bunch of Ubuntu forum users about what they use is silly--after all, if they weren't at least trying to use Ubuntu, how likely would it be they'd be on this forum?

So, I'm asking you to answer for your least tech-savvy parent figure. If you don't have parents or if they've passed away, just pick a parent-like figure in your life--someone you look up to.

I know these polls aren't scientific. I just want to get a sense. The results often surprise me.

If your parent figure users more than one OS (one kind at work, another at home), pick the home computer.

If she or he dual-boots or tri-boots, pick the more-often-used OS.

Brunellus
September 5th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Ubuntu Breezy, with some success. The next computer attaching to her network will be windows, though, for reasons I have discussed elsewhere at length.

Rhapsody
September 5th, 2006, 09:34 PM
My mum is the most tech-savvy of my parents. She uses Kubuntu Dapper at home (becuase all of the stuff she wants to do on the PC is just as easy under Kubuntu as it was under Windows, plus the fact that I just deleted Windows) and some sort of Windows at work.

My dad is the least tech-savvy of anyone in this household bar the cat, meaning he doesn't use the PC at all. If he wants something, he'll get more or mum to do it. He's even confused by all the buttons on the Sky remote sometimes.

cstudent
September 5th, 2006, 09:38 PM
They're called parental units. :)

omns
September 5th, 2006, 09:42 PM

prizrak
September 5th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Whatever I give her really she doesn't know the difference.

christhemonkey
September 5th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Windows 2000.

On a fastly degenerating pc.

She still refuses to switch though.

roderikk
September 5th, 2006, 10:24 PM
WinXP, however, I have slowly started the process of reform by introducing them to Firefox and Thunderbird (both which they now prefer over MS products). Introducing OpenOffice will be a bit more tricky since my dad doesn't trust the .doc conversion tool yet... In a few years I hope they will be linux ready ;-).

Biltong (Dee)
September 5th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Mom, (born 1933)does the bookkeeping at our family owned radio electronics shop. She uses the shops fast computer and works in Excel under close supervision once it appears on the screen.

She and Dad (Born 1939) have a Pentium 1 / 233 at home and send emails okay.

They use Windows 98

Offers of a faster computer complete with Windows XP are met with cries of horror. "You want to speed it up.. why??"

CronoDekar
September 5th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I did have them using Xubuntu on an old computer, but they just recently got a computer with Windows XP, so they're using that now (both have about the same computer knowledge). I would set it up on a dual boot... but I don't really see much reason to unless they'd particularly want to. I do have them using Firefox and Thunderbird, but my dad much prefers WordPerfect to OpenOffice or Abiword.

Shay Stephens
September 5th, 2006, 11:05 PM
My parents have been using xp, but they just installed dapper for dual booting, with the intention of phasing out windows.

My brother in law just loaded kubuntu in place of redhat on one of his laptops.

My wife is 100% ubuntu, and I am 50/50 ubuntu/windows (I still have to use photoshop for work)

picpak
September 5th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Ubuntu Breezy. She hates Dapper.

Iandefor
September 6th, 2006, 12:13 AM
My dad (the more tech-savvy) likes Ubuntu. My mom doesn't even own a computer and doesn't use them.

Iskra
September 6th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Windows XP, although I (being sick of dealing with constant virus/spyware cleanings) put Dapper on my little sister's laptop. She really seems to enjoy it--especially all the games.

richbarna
September 6th, 2006, 01:31 AM
My mum can't even programme the video.

My wife will use whichever distros I have installed that particular month. She's got used to the the idea of different distros now and as long as she has Gaim and Email access she'll use anything.

To be honest apart from the different login screen and KDE or Gnome, she said that they all seem the same anyway.

jeffc313
September 6th, 2006, 01:39 AM
I installed ubuntu dapper on the family computer, so that is what they use. I have most of the stuff pretty easy for them.

Bree
September 6th, 2006, 01:57 AM
My mum can't even programme the video.

haha neither can my mum.

She has no computer of her own; all she does is buy stuff from amazon and email her sister, so she uses my XP computer. However, last night I let her use my Xubuntu box; her inital reaction was "what the hell did you do to your computer?!" :rolleyes: But when she found Opera she was fine.

nu2this
September 6th, 2006, 04:57 AM
My mom uses Dapper most of the time WXP only when she needs to print something (it's a Lexmark All-in-One).

ekuliak
September 6th, 2006, 05:26 AM
My Dad uses Windows XP on a 5+ year old computer. My brother had been using it most of the time until I built him a new computer.

I'm in the process of building my dad a new computer, actually.
Perhaps I'll see what he thinks about using Linux (if he does agree, it will most likely end up being a dual-boot system).
But then again, he might want to stick with Windows XP, since he spent so much time over the past few months learning how to use it for things other than e-mail.

fuscia
September 6th, 2006, 06:03 AM
my mother hand writes messages for my dad to email on xp.

majesticturkey
September 6th, 2006, 06:58 AM
This really isn't too fair. I once told my dad I would put a copy of a powerpoint presentation he was using in a trial on his desktop, and he corrects me, telling me that the computer is a laptop. As I pointed to the screen of the laptop.

He calls my flashdrive a keychain.

xhaan
September 6th, 2006, 07:47 AM
My stepmom uses Win 98.. with..
with..
*shudder*
AOL!

Ugh! Now I feel the need to take a shower...

SoundMachine
September 6th, 2006, 10:01 AM
90% of all the programs my dad uses are Windows only programs that don't really have any Linux equivalents so he uses XP and will eventually use Vista.

daou
September 6th, 2006, 10:10 AM
At least my parents were interested (or pretended to be) when I told them about Ubuntu and the possibility that I would remove XP from them and install Ubuntu. Not that they have a choice, after all it's me they call when they are having trouble with the comp.

Perhaps I should, a lot less maintanance and I could do whatever maintanance I need easily over the internet (a two hour drive doesn't get me excited). I don't have to teach them how to use a firewall and ad/spyware progs every 2 months.

slimdog360
September 6th, 2006, 11:04 AM
My dad is hopeless with computers but Ive managed to show him enough for him to get by. He uses XP because he like photography and has canon cameras, printers and I believe a canon scanner.
My mum however is a bit better with computers but keeps getting her computer ridden with spyware and viruses (she is using XP). As such I hope to get her a new computer at the end of the year and put linux on it.

Lord Illidan
September 6th, 2006, 11:27 AM
My dad uses windows. He knows quite a lot about tech, but is a bit behind the times, and sometimes he is just too busy to care..

He does use firefox and thunderbird, though. Matter of fact, I've the whole household using firefox!!

However, I don't think he will switch to Linux until he finishes a thesis of his, which he is doing with MS Office. He doesn't trust Open Office with .doc support, and to be honest, I don't blame him..hehe.

TeeAhr1
September 6th, 2006, 02:53 PM
My mother uses Ubuntu, because I told her that I would no longer be giving free Windows support. Remember, kids, always use your powers for good, never for evil.

0per4t0r
June 29th, 2009, 10:44 PM
My Dad uses Windows at work, so he's used to it. I can't really tell what he uses, because he's not on the internet that often, except at work. My mom tries to stay as far away as she can from computers, because she thinks she'll break them. I'm probably one of the only people in my town to use linux.