PDA

View Full Version : Forums - I could make one.

alecjw
September 5th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Hey guys! I've read that you're using vBulletin because it has features which other forums don't have. I was thinking, maybe I could make you a forum in my free time. I can't do anything presentational (well, I can but I have no creativity, so my CSS and HTML skills are useless). Maybe you could put someone else in charge of presentation?
I have knowledge of PHP, MySQL (could probably use PgSQL, but never tried it), AJAX, CSS, XHTML, SVG... and so the list goes on. But I usually use PHP, MySQL, XHTML and CSS.
So what do you think? I'm a student so I get lots of homework (nearly GCSE:( ) so I'd have to work on it mainly during weekends and school holidays. And of course, it won't work unless anyone wants to help me with the design of the page.

randell6564
September 7th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Hey guys! I've read that you're using vBulletin because it has features which other forums don't have. I was thinking, maybe I could make you a forum in my free time. I can't do anything presentational (well, I can but I have no creativity, so my CSS and HTML skills are useless). Maybe you could put someone else in charge of presentation?
I have knowledge of PHP, MySQL (could probably use PgSQL, but never tried it), AJAX, CSS, XHTML, SVG... and so the list goes on. But I usually use PHP, MySQL, XHTML and CSS.
So what do you think? I'm a student so I get lots of homework (nearly GCSE:( ) so I'd have to work on it mainly during weekends and school holidays. And of course, it won't work unless anyone wants to help me with the design of the page.

How about something that loads faster than Ubuntu Forums!? I dont care if you want first rights to my first born! JUST create a USEABLE forum!

alecjw
September 7th, 2006, 08:31 PM
It's not because of vBulletin thet they're slow - the server's hardware can't cater for the number of SQL queries. Apparently RAM is coming from cannonical soon.

randell6564
September 7th, 2006, 08:41 PM
It's not because of vBulletin thet they're slow - the server's hardware can't cater for the number of SQL queries. Apparently RAM is coming from cannonical soon.

I realize that, but your question was about creating a forum. Having the hardware for it BEFORE you begin would be a good idea!