PDA

View Full Version : Color-Chain: a new program

daou
September 5th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Being my self-centered self (me me me):mrgreen: , I thought I'd draw a little attention to a program I just released. Check this thread:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=251513

Hopefully someone finds it useful.

Abstract
September 5th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Hey,

I really like the idea of this program and I downloaded and installed the .deb successfully. I did the config copy thing - I didn't use the GUI. I then ran this:

color-chain --verbose --fast

It outputted all stuff but nothing changed. I look at my background and nothing changed. Any help?

daou
September 5th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Are you sure you have a transparent background, ie an svg or a png background? Try taking your background off completely then run the program.

daou
September 5th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Also make sure you have set your desktop background color to a gradient (either a vertical or a horizontal gradient). This is something I've forgotten to include in the program, I will add an option to set it.

EDIT: Even if your background color is set as "Solid" it should still change the color of the background. However, only changes to the primary (Color1) are visible.

Abstract
September 5th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Okay it works if I take the background off and it looks pretty cool just on its own. I now have one more question:

What would I do to make it run everytime I login?

daou
September 5th, 2006, 10:24 PM
I suppose the easiest way is to add it to your session startup programs list.
In your desktop menu:

System->Preferences->Sessions->Startup Programs.
Then click "Add" and type "color-chain" in the "Startup Command" textbox.

Abstract
September 5th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks! I really like this program. I'm just trying to find some wallpapers on http://gnome-look.org.

Can you recommend any?

daou
September 5th, 2006, 10:33 PM
There aren't many that have enough transparency for the gradient to come through well. I suggest you look for SVG backgrounds.

Or, if you adventurous, you can try Inkscape and make your own SVG background. It's quite easy to make nice looking backgrounds. You can get Inkscape by typing:

sudo apt-get install inkscape

I'm glad you like it! :D

daou
September 5th, 2006, 10:36 PM
You can also install gnome-backgrounds

sudo apt-get install gnome-backgrounds

It has two translucent SVG backgrounds (ellipsis.svg and tentacles.svg). I suggest you try them.