PDA

View Full Version : Opera 8 & ubuntu site...

wurtel
April 9th, 2005, 02:44 PM
I'd just like to point out that the ubuntu homepage doesn't display correctly for opera. More specificaly the navigation tabs.

Hope you guys get around to fixing it sometime :)

jdong
April 9th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Tell Opera about it. It's not our fault. We use VBulletin, which renders everything. The site works fine under Mozilla-based and IE-based browsers.

Opera 8 is still in the final stages of beta correct? Point that out.

TravisNewman
April 9th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Yeah, hmm. I downloaded Opera 8 to test it, and I can't see ANYTHING wrong with it.

Can you post a screenshot.
And you say the main ubuntu page-- does it do the same for the forums?

nad
April 9th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Tell Opera about it. It's not our fault. We use VBulletin, which renders everything. The site works fine under Mozilla-based and IE-based browsers.

Opera 8 is still in the final stages of beta correct? Point that out.

Just a quick reply to your flamebait.

Both Mozilla and IE use proprietary extensions. Opera is the most standards compliant major browser out there.

Dan M

TravisNewman
April 9th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Mozilla only renders standards if the page headers are formatted properly-- if not, it goes into quirks mode, which has the extensions you're talking about.

And if you right click this bad boy and click "view page info" you'll see that it's in standards mode.

TravisNewman
April 9th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Just opened opera to test.

ubuntulinux.org doesn't work-- the tabs are on the left instead of the right.
ubuntuforums.org does work fine.

jdong
April 9th, 2005, 04:10 PM
I'd just like to point out that the ubuntu homepage doesn't display correctly for opera. More specificaly the navigation tabs.

Hope you guys get around to fixing it sometime :)

Ok, now I understand, ubuntulinux.org isn't working properly... Hmm, it's powered by plone.

We don't work for Canonical; we just provide their official end-user support forums. Contact the Ubuntu site administrator about it.

kassetra
April 9th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Just a quick reply to your flamebait.

Both Mozilla and IE use proprietary extensions. Opera is the most standards compliant major browser out there.

Hmmm. It's not flamebait... and no, jdong is correct, Mozilla/Firefox now actually renders most w3c recommendations and such absolutely 100% correct... if they didn't... I would be out of a job.

23meg
April 20th, 2005, 11:42 AM
both the forums and ubuntulinux.org are fine on 8.00 here. the forums had the problem you mentioned with 7.54u2. if you did an upgrade install, consider doing a clean one.

TravisNewman
April 20th, 2005, 02:22 PM
you know, even with 7.54u2 I never got that problem here. It happened with ubuntulinux.org though.