PDA

View Full Version : "server" at the bootprompt... let's give it another name

ubuntu_demon
April 9th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Hi,

In warty when you just wanted to install ubuntu-base you had to type in "custom" at the bootprompt. In hoary this is changed to "server". It makes a bit sense for preventing newbies to choose this option. But I think it should be "base" since it's a basic installation of only ubuntu-base. I think this name makes a lot more sense.

Other suggestions are also welcome.

So let's do a poll!

primeirocrime
April 9th, 2005, 11:54 AM
base sounds better and it depicts something as simple and unbloated.

paul cooke
April 9th, 2005, 12:21 PM
base sounds better and it depicts something as simple and unbloated.
basic, or bare, or stripped down. base implies all of ubuntu. The terminology here is difficult as different people can take the same English word and put a totally different meaning to it.

I would suggest:

Core - just the bones dearie, just the bones... everything else is up to you ;)

Server - should take you through other menus to install the server components you want (including xorg as necessary if you are using your server to remotely serve xapps to other desktops like I do or entire desktops remotely as in the "Thin Client" model)

Desktop - everything a desktop user should require (only minimal server stuff needed here, just clients mostly)

Thin-Client - Install only what is necessary for reasonable powered desktop machines to boot locally and run remotely served desktops (you will be amazed at how well an old 300 MHz machine with 64MB of ram can do when running as a thin client and the desktop being served to it from a remote server using x over ethernet)

ubuntu_demon
April 9th, 2005, 12:49 PM
basic, or bare, or stripped down. base implies all of ubuntu. The terminology here is difficult as different people can take the same English word and put a totally different meaning to it.

I would suggest:

Core - just the bones dearie, just the bones... everything else is up to you ;)

Server - should take you through other menus to install the server components you want (including xorg as necessary if you are using your server to remotely serve xapps to other desktops like I do or entire desktops remotely as in the "Thin Client" model)

Desktop - everything a desktop user should require (only minimal server stuff needed here, just clients mostly)

Thin-Client - Install only what is necessary for reasonable powered desktop machines to boot locally and run remotely served desktops (you will be amazed at how well an old 300 MHz machine with 64MB of ram can do when running as a thin client and the desktop being served to it from a remote server using x over ethernet)
basic / core is also nice

I'm against the server option you suggest. People who want to run a serious server don't want the installer to make package decisions for them. But something like this is nice and will probably get in the next release:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/MachineTemplates

Thin-client as install-option is a good idea!

look here for user templates:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/UserTemplates

I'd like to see xfce4 in main. But then this should be a project like kubuntu. I'm not someone who asks people "please program this for me". We should be grateful Ubuntu is as great as it is. And luckily setting up xfce4 is a breeze.