PDA

View Full Version : ever lost your menu?

schurtek
September 4th, 2006, 08:05 AM
The menu at the top of gnome... that reads, applications / places / system... well I lost mine over the weekend... had a small stroke... but after sitting for half an hour with a mate on the phone we figured it out... if you right click on the menu you can remove it... (which must have happened when I dumped some books on my mouse while my monitor was turned off...) but if you right click on the panel bar at the top where the menu appears... you will get an option add menu... and it will open a window with a list of panels that can be added (some really cool ones i have now discovered) and the main menu is at the bottom. Also you can get to the menu (i have now learnt) by pressint Alt+F1... I love ubuntu... with windows this would have meant a re-install...

croak77
September 4th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Have you ever lost your menu in Windows?

schurtek
September 4th, 2006, 09:34 AM
yes... after doing a security update... the start button was gone... but it still worked if I pressed the flag key... but Microsoft told me I had to re-install... that's the bitch... I have never had to re-install a Linux machine unless it was something stupid that I did...

Miguel
September 4th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Hi guys,

Whenever you trash your settings, like killing all panels or putting black fonts on a black gtk2 theme or whatever, and you are desperate to fix it, deleting your personal settings always helps. Of course, this is a last resort. Well, you could always edit some XML file in the appropriate field, but it isn't very likely that you know where to do it.

Ah! Since Gnome 2.14 you always have to reboot as soon as you delete your gnome preferences. I've read something at OSnews that might be related, saying that gconf is a large xml file that gets loaded into memory.

beercz
September 4th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Yep - lost my menu as few times from doing stupid things (usually late at night). Strange though that in my former life as a ******* user I never lost my Start menu, but for often inexplicable reasons my Start menu went AWOL (together with a few other things).

The number of times I have had to re-install ******* .... *sigh*

I have never re-installed Ubuntu - and I have only ever installed it twice, once on my old laptop, and once on my new one.

Why am I telling you this?

anaspeople
December 8th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Can somebody please help me, I lost my main menu bar where Apps, My places and so on are.
Probably I did it when my monitor was turned off.
I tried right clicking all over my Desktop and pressing ALT + F1 as I read in a post by I had no luck.

Henry Rayker
December 8th, 2006, 11:56 PM
When you hold ALT and then press F1, what happens?

anaspeople
December 8th, 2006, 11:59 PM
When you hold ALT and then press F1, what happens?

Nothing happens

iPower
December 9th, 2006, 12:06 AM
never lost the menu but someway i lost all icons in the menu once

anaspeople
December 9th, 2006, 12:19 AM
I could manage with no menus but not my father who also uses this computer and I'm trying to convice him about the advantages of Ubuntun
Please somebody help me recover the main menu!

anaspeople
December 9th, 2006, 12:55 AM
It's back!!!! I ended the gnome-panel process from gnome-system-monitor and suddenly showed up

girard
March 12th, 2007, 10:58 AM
got it already! thanks!!

jdhore
March 12th, 2007, 06:09 PM
yeah, the easy way to fix panel issues is get yourself to a terminal any way you can and type: killall gnome-panel