PDA

View Full Version : Portable Music Player Recommendations

IanH
September 3rd, 2006, 10:10 PM
Hi all,
I'm looking to buy a portable mp3 player, and I was wondering if the folks here had any recommendations/warnings/general advice to give. Here's what I'm looking for:

*Works with Ubuntu. I rarely boot Windows and all my music is on the linux partition, so this is a must.
*Harddrive based. I don't need anything huge, but I want to be able to hold most/all of my music collection (currently around 1.5 gigs), with some space for the future.
*Ogg support. Most of my music is in ogg, and I'd rather not have to convert it.
*Microphone recording. Not essential, but would be nice. Just for voice, so sound quality doesn't have to be great. Most I'd like something that could record lectures/lab notes/etc.
*Browsing by ID3 tag.
*Not essential, but it'd be nice if it could work as a portable harddrive for general file storage.

Here's what I've found.
Cowon iAudio:
The version five looks very nice, except for the lack of tag browsing, which means that'd I'd have to install rockbox. Anyone have experiences to share with this? Also, how are the controls (particularily, how does the joystick compare to a touchpad).
Finally, any experience with the version 6? This seems to solve the problems with the 5, but is the price tag and lower capacity worth it?

iRiver:
The H320 seems to be the only current version supporting ogg. How well does this compare to the iAudio models?

Others: Anyone know of any other players that fit this list?

Thanks,
IanH

mushroom
September 3rd, 2006, 10:16 PM
I think all irivers use MTP now, at least in the US or UK, meaning it can be only used with Windows Media Player 10. The firmware can be changed to the Australian version, which enables UMS. I don't know anything about the iAudio.