PDA

View Full Version : New Thunar release

weekend warrior
September 3rd, 2006, 08:55 PM
Thunar 0.4.0 RC1 released today - has a nice GUI installer for the compile process too - good stuff, it's been running well on my system so far.

Have a look over here (http://thunar.xfce.org/news.html) or go straight for the download here (http://thunar.xfce.org/download.html#0.4.0).

:)

Turgon
September 3rd, 2006, 09:53 PM
Nice! Finaly a trash in xubuntu!

maniacmusician
September 4th, 2006, 02:36 AM
looks great. is this part of edgy knot2? because i just downloaded that and will probably set up as a virtual machine soon.

maniacmusician
September 4th, 2006, 02:59 AM
to answer my own question, it is part of edgy knot2. i'm on the live cd, and i see a trash icon. this is awesome! xubuntu rocks.

Super King
September 4th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Awesome, that's one of the things I missed in Thunar.

shunthemask
September 4th, 2006, 08:43 AM
yeah, trash is something that I missed, too. Too bad that it doesn't work...

Jason-X
September 4th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Can I install this on my existing Xubuntu installation or do I have to remove the Thunar that came with Xubuntu first?

weekend warrior
September 4th, 2006, 11:50 AM
yeah, trash is something that I missed, too. Too bad that it doesn't work...
Hmm.. trash is ok here - right-click 'delete', drag & drop, cut & pasting files into trash:/// and the restore function are all working for me.

Can I install this on my existing Xubuntu installation or do I have to remove the Thunar that came with Xubuntu first?
I uninstalled first but it was a fairly old build that needed replacing. There's also a GUI uninstaller in this RC that's dead easy to use if you want/need to go back to a previous version.

Miguel
September 4th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Maybe you guys are interested to know that Xfce 4.4 RC1 has been released. I've checked the edgy packages and they are still at beta2 (through packages.ubuntu.com, I don't have edgy installed).

This release goes with Thunar 0.4.0.

Jason-X
September 4th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Thanks Weekend Warrior:) It works a treat. Also my trash works fine too.

weekend warrior
September 4th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Maybe you guys are interested to know that Xfce 4.4 RC1 has been released. I've checked the edgy packages and they are still at beta2 (through packages.ubuntu.com, I don't have edgy installed).

This release goes with Thunar 0.4.0.
Yeah, saw that too yesterday - even downloaded the installer, but thought it wiser to wait a couple days at least to see if any major bugs come up - a lot more can potentially go wrong with a desktop environment compared to a file manager ;)

songo
September 4th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Thanks Weekend Warrior:) It works a treat. Also my trash works fine too.
what did you do? did you installed over or removed it before?

Jason-X
September 4th, 2006, 06:51 PM
what did you do? did you installed over or removed it before?

I removed the Thunar that came with Xubuntu with Synaptic and then installed the new Thuner with the installer. It installed very smoothly.

kripkenstein
September 4th, 2006, 09:05 PM
This is great news. Possibly the main thing stopping me from using XFce was the lack of a trashcan.

Looks like I have a big decision to make when Edgy comes out - GNOME or XFce...

lapsey
September 4th, 2006, 09:27 PM
I know for sure that I'm dumping Gnome. Or rather, nautilus.
I have a pretty fast amchine but I'm tired of the instability and un-necessary footprint.

The lastest environment is a must have for Xubuntu Edgy.

zugu
September 5th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Is it possible for me to replace Nautilus with Thunar without installing Xubuntu?

fuscia
September 5th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Is it possible for me to replace Nautilus with Thunar without installing Xubuntu?

yes.

zugu
September 6th, 2006, 08:28 AM
And would you be kind enough to tell me how? Is it as simple as apt-get remove nautilus / apt-get install thunar ?

gurgle
September 7th, 2006, 05:08 PM
im running gnome - i tried to install thunar but i got this error:

evan@linux:~/Downloads$ ./Thunar-0.4.0rc1-installer.run
Verifying file integrity... OK.
Extracting the installer... OK.
Checking for usable C compiler... gcc
Checking for usable C++ compiler... g++
Checking for GNU make... make
Checking for package config tool... pkg-config
Checking for GLib (GModule) >= 2.6.0... not found, see /home/evan/.Thunar.installer-log for details
Cleaning up... OK.

fuscia
September 7th, 2006, 05:21 PM
And would you be kind enough to tell me how? Is it as simple as apt-get remove nautilus / apt-get install thunar ?

yup. i think you have to have dapper repositories for getting thunar. i don't recall it being in the breezy repositories.

maniacmusician
September 8th, 2006, 01:05 AM
also you probably wouldn't do apt-get install thunar (if you want the brand spankin new version), you'd probably download the installer and install it that way

zugu
September 8th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Do I need to remove Nautilus? And if not, how do I make folders open with thunar by default?

Sorry for the nagging questions, but it's really important to me.

maniacmusician
September 8th, 2006, 02:06 PM
umm i wouldnt know, don't like gnome. but fuscia said that apt-get remove nautilus would be fine.

jkroto
October 3rd, 2006, 11:16 PM

Checking for GLib (GModule) >= 2.6.0... not found, see /home/evan/.Thunar.installer-log for details
Cleaning up... OK.

I got the same thing. If I find anything I'll pass it along, please do the same.

jkroto
October 3rd, 2006, 11:37 PM

Cleaning up... OK.

I had do this
"You may have to run sudo apt-get build-dep thunar beforehand."
Found here http://http://xubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/09/03/new-thunar-release/
It is now installing.