PDA

View Full Version : Fish - the user friendly command line program

saracen
September 3rd, 2006, 08:49 PM
An attempt at making the command line interface more user-friendly. Tab completions have descriptions, misspelled options for commands are automatically highlighted, automatic syntax highlighting for more complex commands, and more.

http://roo.no-ip.org/fish/

Omnios
September 3rd, 2006, 09:08 PM
Very interesting downloaing it now to check it out

mostwanted
September 3rd, 2006, 09:29 PM
Me 2 ^^

I replaced BASH with Fish by going into Edit → Current profile, selected the second tab and added my own command (fish) to be executed instead of the ordinary BASH shell.

ssam
September 3rd, 2006, 10:29 PM
i have seen fish and it looks very interesting. i think i might be a bit hooked on my bash-isms to use it though. it would be nice if some things like syntax highlighting could be put into bash.

seen as ubuntu defaults to nano instead of vi(m), maybe it should be fish instead of bash.

mssever
September 3rd, 2006, 10:32 PM
I replaced BASH with Fish by going into Edit → Current profile, selected the second tab and added my own command (fish) to be executed instead of the ordinary BASH shell.

If you do
chsh /usr/bin/fish it will change your default shell everywhere, not just in gnome-terminal.

Anyone else getting weird behavior and segfaults when using fish?

For example,
less file1
^Z (to suspend less)
less file2
^Z
fg - Fish prints the following:
scott@scott-laptop /e/skel> fg -
Send job 2, 'fg -' to foreground
But job 2 doesn't come to the foreground. Besides, the expected behavior is that job 1 would come to the foreground. Also, I don't get my prompt back. I have to go fishing (killall fish :)) to get a prompt.

Next, if you type fg when there are no background jobs, fish crashes with a segfault.

So, while fish is an interesting concept, it needs a lot more work before it will be usable for me.

Note360
September 5th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Is their any way to set a right prompt?

Wallakoala
September 5th, 2006, 03:23 AM
pretty cool...

I like the highlighting.

It seems a little slower than bash to me though.

3rdalbum
September 5th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Fish is a touch slower than Bash, but you get a lot more.

You can tab-complete some command parameters, and you can also tab-complete packages when using the apt-get command! The history works well too - if you type "sudo", for instance, and then hit the Up arrow, it will only show you the commands you've typed that started with "sudo".

It's the greatest. I've never had problems with it, but then I never put terminal commands in the background and foreground and stuff.

Oh, and you can change directories without typing cd!

jbuberel
January 23rd, 2008, 08:49 PM
I created a debian/ubuntu package for the latest release - v1.23.0 - and it can be downloaded here:

http://www.buberel.org/fish_1.23.0-1ubuntu1_i386.deb

Regards,
Jason