PDA

View Full Version : what is the next MMorpg that will take the crown from WoW?

NoTiG
September 3rd, 2006, 02:56 AM
will it be by blizzard? im kind of bored with wow. the graphics and everything. although i did play it for four months... which is longer than almost any other game i have played. but i want something with newish graphics. I heard blizzard announced they are making a big announcement... wonder what it is ><

ciscosurfer
September 3rd, 2006, 03:06 AM
My thoughts are EVE online...

The Noble
September 3rd, 2006, 03:09 AM
Although technically not an mmorpg, Huxley looks like it may do very well. I think it will be on the ps3, x360, and pcs; thus there should be plenty of players. It is an fps, but with some good servers and huge pipelines it is certainly possible. Looks great as well, although character models are lacking.

NoTiG
September 3rd, 2006, 03:10 AM
eve online is sort of old though... i was thinking in the future. It would probably already have to be in development though for it to come out within the next 3-5 years i guess. Anyone know any good ones? Ps. im also a graphics ***** :P so i want it to have nice graphics too

NoTiG
September 3rd, 2006, 03:24 AM
I cant wait for the game where you will be able to scan your face or pic in and have it make like a fantasy characature somehow. would be cool. Sort of you but not you at the same time. just an element of truth

zami
September 3rd, 2006, 04:39 AM
I doubt it will even grab for the belt, nevermind the crown, of WoW, but I am VERY eagerly awaiting Trials of Ascension.

http://www.shadowpool.com/ = homepage

http://luciaslibrary.com/griefer.shtml = great little read about the game

I'm also eager to see how the rumors of a Star Wars Galaxies 2 pan out down the road.

(And I fully plan to partake in a SWGemu (read community run pre-CU) server, though I haven't yet decided wich. http://forums.swgemu.com/ )

-zami

NoTiG
September 3rd, 2006, 01:03 PM
theres going to be Star wars galaxies 2 ? i played one.... it had so much potential. but it just wasnt finished basically. there were parts of it that were cool. but i only played for like 2 months :/

Kernel Sanders
September 3rd, 2006, 01:24 PM
Stargate Worlds :cool:

(its currently in development)

Void89
December 11th, 2006, 05:35 PM
I'd say the new LOTR MMORPG that i think is coming out next year, it's still in beta, and Star Trek Online, which i believe is coming out in 2008 or 2009

gfg
December 11th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Probably age of conan or the new warhammer mmorpg.

Brunellus
December 11th, 2006, 08:19 PM
College and/or employment.

MedivhX
December 11th, 2006, 09:03 PM
"What is the next MMorpg that will take the crown from WoW?"

LOL! WoW: The Burning Crusade hehehe...

Well I think Guild Wars, I don't know why didn't anyone mention it...

awakatanka
December 11th, 2006, 10:51 PM
www.mmorpg.com there a few worth trying. But i think i go for warhammeronline our Darkfall if it ever getting finished.

And WoW is boring like hell. Ultima online and Everquest those are the King and Queen. And UO game play is the best ever. But they all fall in to mistakes sooner our later. Like both also did.

mrgnash
December 12th, 2006, 12:12 AM
I think the next MMORPG to 'take the crown' from WoW, will be one that takes the fundamental gameplay elements and jettison all the rest of the filler; hence, I give you: CALCULATOR WARS.

No seriously, Guild Wars is already a much better game imo... it's not a real MMORPG, I suppose, but that's probably why it doesn't totally suck. The missions you complete actually advance a storyline rather than just netting you experience and trinkets.

That said, the Age of Conan is potentially promising.

mcduck
December 12th, 2006, 12:12 AM
I don't play those myself, but I put my bet on the Warhammer..

Jimmie
December 12th, 2006, 01:07 AM
I believe Warhammer: Age of Reckoning will be knocking on WoW's door when it's released. More info: http://warhammeronline.com

MedivhX
December 14th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Sincerely, I think that WoW will lead at least 2-3 years more... And when Blizzard would develop Warcraft IV that would be soooo cool!!!

mitchbones
December 15th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Sincerely, I think that WoW will lead at least 2-3 years more... And when Blizzard would develop Warcraft IV that would be soooo cool!!! Considering that they announced Starcraft: Ghost before WoW and its still not out. I wouldn't be counting on it anytime soon.

My money is on Warhammer, but it will be a pipe dream to dethrone WoW. Everyone talks bad about it, but it isn't that bad. Some of the funnest moments I have had on my PC were playing WoW.

azkehmm
December 15th, 2006, 01:04 AM
I think one of the reasons WoW has grown so big, is that the warhammer brand already had a huge fanbase amongst PC gamers. I don't really see any of the currently announced games having the same potential, pre-launch fan-wise, that WoW had.
Starwars Galaxies was one of the good shoots, as there are litterally millions upon millions of starwars fans all over the world. But... only a small percentage of these fans were apperantly gamers, as SWG never reached more than 500K subscriptions as far as I know.
Like I said, if another MMO should challenge WoW, it'd have to have a huge fan-base amongst gamers already. A strong brand like, Command and Conquer or Fallout could propably reach the 5 or 6 million subscribtions, or another "legendary" game series. But... that's just my 2 cents.

ubuntu-geek
December 15th, 2006, 01:23 AM
^ Serious wow freak!

willskills
April 26th, 2007, 10:17 AM
The next game I'll be playing will be Warhammer Online, brought to us by Mythic, who made the only decent Medeival PvP game since Ultima Online.

I am fed up with carebear PvP instances, and little reward from open world PvP in WoW........

Oh yeah, I'd also like to see Darkfall out, I am still having reservations about it, but it will be the game of games, if they manage to release it.

tehkain
April 26th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Does it really matter? The big MMO will alway be a "simplified MMO" like wow from now on. I for one am a PvPer are an old school MMO player.
WoW did nothing new. Most likely neither will its successor. What can we expect from the future? We can expect three big games all focused as a easy to play or time waisting(current wow). Then on the side we can expect the good games. The games us old schoolers yern for. They will not hold a dominate share on the market but they will be specialized. This is already occurring today and it is building every moment. Proof?

EVE is doing well. They have a small team and loyal members. They are the perfect SPACE PvP game(note I say space since some people are not looking for space)

Pirates of the burning Sea is doing great in beta. They are yet another PvP game that has taken an eve aproach and avoided typical fantasy and hack and slash.

Darkfall major beta is coming. This game is another PvP game. They have chosen the fantasy setting but have taken a different path by using a great new combat, mounted combat, a 100% PvP controlled land, boat combat, non standard level/ranking system, and actual war. These are things that games all have done but never in the same game, never as a main focus, and always halfway.

Fallen Earth, I played this game. It is amazing. Think STALKER but an MMO. Planetside was the first mmofps but this one will be the first MMORPGFPS since the story is a great one.

WAR: This is a posibility. They have taken the wow path by killing this warhammer history by going T of teen. They they killed their PvP by gimping the DAoC RVR mentality. They made this game a simple kiddie game.

AOC: This game is going to be good. It will not be WoW. It will be different like EvE but way more mainstream. The issue with this game is it wont be first timer ready and as graphically accessible like WoW(a good thing for me).

Bioware MMO: This one is up in the air. This is the one company that can pull off combining the simplicity of WoW and the greatness of EVE in the same MMO. With a broad spectrum of story and player controllability. I hope they don't reach for WoW but if they do the MMO will still be fine.

The Unknow SOE MMO, this is the one MMO who is being made to go after wow. They are not reaching like WAR. They are pumping money like they havent before into this MMO just to take the chance at WoWs throat.

Starcraft MMO, well it will be wow2.0 so of cource this MMO has a great chance.

+ a million other games. TBH we are far away. No game atm in the future is as appealing as WoW to the early PC gamers with their dell systems.

Revolutionary games aimed at a medium player numbers. They are not aiming for WoW

Games like AoC with good player numbers but only a bit more suscribers the the aforementioned group.

Games with bad graphics(req wise), beginner favored, addicting, pokemonish(gotta get them epics), and repetitive. That make no money since they have nothing to offer over current games.

Games with bad graphics(req wise), beginner favored, addicting, pokemonish(gotta get them epics), and repetitive. That makes lots of money becausenit was teh first to grb these new players.

So the WoW generation will hope boat to the last one I mentioned. While the old school players wll drift between the first and second group.

koshatnik
April 26th, 2007, 11:50 AM
My thoughts are EVE online...

Played it for the first 2 years then it became one giant blobfest when CCP made effectively everyone join alliances. Killed piracy, trading, small corps, everything that used to make it fun. Still have friends that play it, they are all saying the same things. Problem is, there is no other decent space MMORG, its all elves and faeries. Also, Eve is one of the few online games with properly implemented PVP with no server sharding - which is its one big advantage. Hate sharded servers - lame, lame, lame. Can't stand non PVP online games either. Don't see the point.

Wish someone would release Elite online, with no server sharding and unrestricted PVP. :)

slimdog360
April 26th, 2007, 11:54 AM
the nerd inside of me wants to say lord of the rings online. I've always wanted to take a walk around the shire

EdThaSlayer
April 26th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Star Trek Online should be the next big MMORPG. Too bad there will be no Linux version, but the graphics look sweet. :)

Brunellus
April 26th, 2007, 06:54 PM
the nerd inside of me wants to say lord of the rings online. I've always wanted to take a walk around the shire
I can do that any time--all I need is a book.

Mazza558
April 26th, 2007, 07:12 PM
I have my eyes on Guild Wars 2 (bets in mid-2008)

Roberticus
April 26th, 2007, 07:23 PM
And when Blizzard would develop Warcraft IV that would be soooo cool!!!
Not gonna happen in a while.. Blizzard lately licenced some names including "Diablo", "Frostmorne" and "Darkmoon Faire".

Diablo 3 anyone?

Considering that they announced Starcraft: Ghost before WoW and its still not out. I wouldn't be counting on it anytime soon.
They put 'Starcraft: Ghost' on hold, because of their great quality control. It would have come out on Xbox while Xbox360 was the new thing, which is not Blizzard policy.

Back on topic: My bet is on Warhammer Online. Just watch those clips of the devs talking about the game :)

For those who are bored with WoW, do as many former Wow players have done: Play Anarchy Online, Free Sci-fi MMORPG (quite a steep learning curve, but it is fun once you get into the game).
http://anarchyonline.com/content/game/whatisao/

Mateo
May 1st, 2007, 03:28 PM
I'm sick of fantasy. I've always hated fantasy with a passion, but they decided that almost every single role playing game must be fantasy. i blame ultima online or whatever what the first rpg.

Erunno
May 1st, 2007, 03:45 PM
I'm sick of fantasy. I've always hated fantasy with a passion, but they decided that almost every single role playing game must be fantasy. i blame ultima online or whatever what the first rpg.

No need to blame Ultima Online as it was at least non-tolkienesque fantasy without tree-hugging elves and dwarves with scottish accents. Ultima actually has a very decent lore (at least the original single-player games) but I heard they butchered it during the course of several expension packs.

My girlfriend currently plays Lord of the Rings Online and she's absolutely in love with it. From what I saw over her shoulder I can attest that it looks gorgeous and seems to run fine on her midrange machine (3 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Gefore 6800GT) with full details.

Mateo
May 1st, 2007, 04:06 PM
i hate all medieval fantasy, not just ones with elves and such ;)

justin whitaker
May 1st, 2007, 05:20 PM
Not gonna happen in a while.. Blizzard lately licenced some names including "Diablo", "Frostmorne" and "Darkmoon Faire".

Diablo 3 anyone?

Yes! I will totally buy that. Well, I would have bought Starcraft Ghost too, being a Blizzard fanboy. Few game companies get that automatic pass.

Back on topic: My bet is on Warhammer Online. Just watch those clips of the devs talking about the game :)

Yeah, it's looking good. I just don't know if they can walk the line between catering to the hardcore Warhammer players, while being accessible enough to steal some players away from WoW. Should be interesting to see what they do. They might even be better off just catering to the hardcore.

For those who are bored with WoW, do as many former Wow players have done: Play Anarchy Online, Free Sci-fi MMORPG (quite a steep learning curve, but it is fun once you get into the game).
http://anarchyonline.com/content/game/whatisao/

Runs via WINE? Cedega?

I'm looking forward to Guild Wars 2. :)

forrestcupp
May 1st, 2007, 10:33 PM
maybe Everquest

graabein
May 2nd, 2007, 06:48 AM
I'm thinking Age of Conan (http://ageofconan.com/conan/en/index.html). Beta testers can apply now. It's release is set for October I think.

I play City of Heroes now and I think it's great. Going to switch to Conan though.

Ubunted
May 2nd, 2007, 07:03 AM
World (Galaxy?) of Starcraft.

Unless Star Trek Online lets me fly a Galaxy-class starship (currently they're slated to become immobile "hubs") it won't be getting a penny outta me.

steven8
May 2nd, 2007, 07:20 AM
I'm thinking Age of Conan (http://ageofconan.com/conan/en/index.html). Beta testers can apply now. It's release is set for October I think.

I play City of Heroes now and I think it's great. Going to switch to Conan though.

Those Age of Conan screens look mighty sweet!! Each one looks like a Frank Frazetta painting. :)

graabein
May 10th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Those Age of Conan screens look mighty sweet!! Each one looks like a Frank Frazetta painting. :)

It looks very impressive. I hope it will be fun as well as pretty. One thing I'm looking forward to is actually swinging the sword and not pressing key 1, 2 and 3 for different moves, but using the keypad for chopping down left, right, and down again etc. I also hope one gets the feeling of a huge world and limit the instant travelling from desert to jungle to arctic country in seconds. I want a big adventure!

Some info sites: AoC wiki (http://www.aocwiki.org/index.php?title=Main_Page) and By Mitra! (http://www.bymitra.com/) (temporarily down).

Hope to see lots of video and screenshots from the beta even though it's probably meant to be kept secret.

mrgnash
May 10th, 2007, 12:44 PM
You could only top WoW by coming out with something even more dull and tedious... hmmm... Calculator Wars, maybe.

Kougaiji
May 11th, 2007, 10:47 PM
will it be by blizzard? im kind of bored with wow. the graphics and everything. although i did play it for four months... which is longer than almost any other game i have played. but i want something with newish graphics. I heard blizzard announced they are making a big announcement... wonder what it is ><

WoW is "king" only because most people play it, it is far FAR from the "best" mmorpg out there, it's just the most hyped.

I'd give the next "king" (best mmo at least) to either:
Age of Conan - http://www.ageofconan.com/conan/en/index.html

or, my personal pick

Guild Wars 2 - http://kotaku.com/gaming/feature/feature-guild-wars-2-gw-expansion-unveiled-244666.php (if you didn't like the first one - WHY NOT? - then I suggest reading about GW2 before making a judgment about it. Many changes, hopeful they will be executed fluidly, but based on GW1 i personally believe they will be)

forcesofhabit
May 11th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Sword of the New World looks very interesting. http://www.swordofthenewworld.com/

As for those complaining there aren't many different settings amongst MMORPGs. Phantasy Star Universe is pretty sweet.

Feba
May 29th, 2007, 09:25 PM
This is of course assuming we trust Blizzard's subscriber numbers. It's good business for them to inflate them by adding multiple characters on the same account, or counting banned accounts.

I'd say a pokemon MMO. I mean the Game Boy games are practically built for MMOness, they have tons of quests and things to collect already, a multi-billion dollar fanbase, and the Wii already has enough units out to outdo WoW. A Mii MMO could be powerful too, although not as much so.