PDA

View Full Version : Hoary default desktop background

JeffS
April 9th, 2005, 12:56 AM
Now, the Ubuntu "Human" theme is actually quite nice. The browns and tans and such look warm and comforting.

But the new defualt desktop background in Hoary, the only thing that comes to mind is .....

Unmentionable

Seriously. When I see the screenshots over at Linuxbeta.com, the only thing that comes to mind is unmentionable.

Hate to be gross or anything. Just consider this "tough love". I love Ubuntu the distro, but c'mon, the new default desktop background is hideous. :roll:

This gives me the same "WTF" reaction as Mandrake's new name change to Mandriva (which sounds like a transvestite or something).

I'm sure I'll get flames for mentioning this. That's okay. If you like looking at unmentionable on your otherwise nice Gnome desktop, well, knock yourself out.

BWF89
April 9th, 2005, 01:05 AM
I think Mandriva sounds like a brand of hard disk drives.

bored2k
April 9th, 2005, 01:11 AM
I'm sure I'll get flames for mentioning this. That's okay. If you like looking at diarrhea on your otherwise nice Gnome desktop, well, knock yourself out.

Just keep it clean for us kids.

zenwhen
April 9th, 2005, 01:19 AM
I kind of like it.

carlc
April 9th, 2005, 02:25 AM
So what's up with Mandriva? Mandrake was actually a cool name. What was the thinking behind the name change?

TravisNewman
April 9th, 2005, 02:53 AM
there's a thread about this in this section already

carlc
April 9th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Thanks, I went back and read it. I personally would have left it has Mandrake.

CowPie
April 9th, 2005, 03:54 AM
It is sooooo ugly that I changed the desktop background to a single colour. I think it's funny that the best background Ubuntu had was hte blue one from the prerelease Warty :)

jeremy
April 9th, 2005, 08:43 AM
I don't like the browns myself, but, being a GNU/linux distro, everything is easy to change to my taste!

aburda
April 10th, 2005, 08:34 PM
I am in agreement about the hideous hoary background. I liked the simple warty background. I immediately changed the hoary background to a simple brown color and have been meaning to find something to put in its place.

Aaron

psoleko
April 11th, 2005, 04:02 AM
Now, the Ubuntu "Human" theme is actually quite nice. The browns and tans and such look warm and comforting.

But the new defualt desktop background in Hoary, the only thing that comes to mind is .....

Diarrhea

Seriously. When I see the screenshots over at Linuxbeta.com, the only thing that comes to mind is diarrhea.

Hate to be gross or anything. Just consider this "tough love". I love Ubuntu the distro, but c'mon, the new default desktop background is hideous. :roll:

This gives me the same "WTF" reaction as Mandrake's new name change to Mandriva (which sounds like a transvestite or something).

I'm sure I'll get flames for mentioning this. That's okay. If you like looking at diarrhea on your otherwise nice Gnome desktop, well, knock yourself out.
There are a bunch of great Ubuntu desktop backgrounds from some talented folk over at gnome-look.org. I am currently using natural gray, but there are a ton to try.

kassetra
April 11th, 2005, 04:13 AM
If you like looking at diarrhea on your otherwise nice Gnome desktop, well, knock yourself out.

Y'know for SOME of us, that LOVELY CINNAMON color is VERY APPEALING.

occy8
April 12th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Originally Posted by JeffS

It's made specialy for you to develop your artistic skills hehehe
I love it and changed my login.wav to Homer Simpsons mmmh chocolate

primeirocrime
April 12th, 2005, 02:47 AM
Funny how the things we see change from being a diferent person looking at the same exact thing.

the default desktop background only gives me this urge to eat a muffin or drink a dr.pepper soda.

But I couldn't help but laughing reading post#1.

ubuntu is so cool it uses brown sugar to bake cakes.

bvc
April 12th, 2005, 04:09 AM
Somewhere on the forum you could find a post by me that said I hated the older brown but guess what? Not only do peoples taste differ but they change, and now I like it. I used to hate sushi but love it now to.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't express their opinion, but do it tastefully...hey how about something useful like a poll that actually shows user input data? On that note, I don't like it either or the new, redish Human, but....I can change it, and I'm thankful the team is trying diff stuff! How about purple? :wink:

gabbman
April 12th, 2005, 04:20 AM
How about purple?

bvc you brought a JAMD tear to my eye. :)

CRCampbell
April 12th, 2005, 04:33 AM
I like it; it's very Zen to me.

bvc
April 12th, 2005, 05:13 AM
hey gabbman...been a while....hope all is well
you know me....variety!!!

crane
April 12th, 2005, 05:20 AM
I like it as well.
It's funny how our tastes change. I downloaded Ubuntu just to test a system out. Wanted to run something other that .rpm based distros. I planned on loading it up, testing a couple of things and putting Blag back on.
Now I have Ubuntu loaded on 4 computers and I'm about to try to change my office over to it as well. ( if they, my boss, is willing to give it a try.)

When I upgraded to Hoary logged in and looked around, I thought, WOW.
This looks great, very professional and friendly looking.

SO good job to the development team!

professor_chaos
April 12th, 2005, 05:48 AM
I like that pattern, but at first couldn't get past the brown.

I've never seen a brown background before.... It looks strange.. What is it???? I feel like I should change it.... Should I change it??? It looks different...I guess its not that bad....But its brown!!!!...Hey, its not that bad...I think I like it....Hey, this is kinda cool.

Nice work Ubuntu.

The only thing I have a hard time with...... is saying obuuntooo....

defkewl
April 12th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Yeach I think it was only okay. It could've been better though. Heuehe. I didn't use that background as well, I'd rather have it plain.

nocturn
April 12th, 2005, 10:36 AM
The problem with these things is that people have different tastes.
I personally love the new wallpaper and so does my wife, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

When designing artwork for a wide audience, it is the trick to create something that most users like, but some will dislike and even hate it anyway.

The good thing with Linux is that you can easily customize it, not only the background, but also the theme to match.

gabbman
April 13th, 2005, 01:34 AM
hey gabbman...been a while....hope all is well
you know me....variety!!!

Ahhh yes, the spice of life. :)

That's why I'm here as well, this is a great solid release on hoary and it's helping me fight of those KDE blue's. :D