PDA

View Full Version : What's Your FAvourite Eye Candy?

titus
April 8th, 2005, 10:39 PM
I'm interested to see and hear about what people have done with ubuntu to make it look even nicer.

My other pc is a mac, and i have to confess i miss expose a lot. Also, I used to have dropshadows with dropline gnome and they looked great!

So let's treat this thread as a chance to show off, and post lots of pictures.

:grin:

Titus.

digby
April 8th, 2005, 10:45 PM
No picture as the moment, but I love my transparent, borderless Eterm, and Liquid Weather (for SuperKaramba) is nice too.

bvc
April 8th, 2005, 10:48 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/gallery/

Brunellus
April 9th, 2005, 04:51 AM
I'm running fluxbox, and it sounds cheesy, but I like wmmemmon and wmcpuload.

TravisNewman
April 9th, 2005, 03:24 PM
if you miss expose, there IS a program like it for Linux, which I have gotten running successfully in the past, but I can't remember for the life of me what the name of it is.

titus
April 9th, 2005, 06:11 PM
i had a quick look and found two, expocity and skippy. I need to look into them a bit more before installing i think.

:)

arrizaba
July 16th, 2005, 06:22 PM
There is another one, which is not so nice as skippy, but faster: Kompose

poofyhairguy
July 16th, 2005, 07:04 PM
My favorites:

Some gdesktlets (I don't like what seems to be the most popular though- the one that is a rip off of the OSX dock).

Luminocity is fun but useless

xcompmgr is the best. I bought an Nvidia card just to get the full effect. drop shadows are fun and fading is very pretty.

Too bad the last one is a little buggy in Gnome because the Metacity composition manager fights with xcompmgr. I have tried to gut metacity's compositing manager, but its hard to do. When I try to get some advice from the gnome wizards, the won't help because "why do you need xcompmgr when Metacity has a compositing manager? In the future Metacity will be able to do most transparancies and more."

Of course the answer is that:

1. Metacity's is boring right now, I can't wait.

2. Even if I could wait....it might be a while. It seems to take longer for stuff like that to get into Gnome (look at how nice KDE's compositing manager is). Might be gnome 2.14 or whatever before Gnome gets fun.

3. It might never do fading, only transparancies (I care little about those alone).

4. Metacity in my opinion is the worst program in the Gnome desktop environment, so I want to depend on features coming from it 0%.

5. Metacity might just wait for glx-or whatever the new accerated x manager is- so more people can use it (just buy an Nvidia card TODAY, easy and cheap I say) and then it won't be two or three years before I get eye candy.

I'm a brat when it comes to eye candy.

TravisNewman
July 16th, 2005, 07:34 PM
" (look at how nice KDE's compositing manager is)"

ech. Slow. xcompmgr ran fine on my pc, no slowness at all, just a couple bugs. That's with all the features enabled and plenty of windows open. KDE's compositing manager made my PC grind to a halt.

poofyhairguy
July 16th, 2005, 07:48 PM
At least KDE has those features now..it will be fast and stable by the time Gnome has anything at all.

xcompmgr ran fine on my pc, no slowness at all, just a couple bugs.

Thats like saying "Windows ME is a little buggy." A big understatement.

TravisNewman
July 16th, 2005, 09:58 PM
*lol* good point. I guess what I should have said was that I only saw a few minor bugs myself.

bored2k
July 16th, 2005, 10:23 PM
if you miss expose, there IS a program like it for Linux, which I have gotten running successfully in the past, but I can't remember for the life of me what the name of it is.
Kompose and Skippy are the best. Kompose being la crème de la crème.

http://img52.echo.cx/img52/6136/snapshot93sz.th.png (http://img52.echo.cx/my.php?image=snapshot93sz.png)

And my favorite eye candy ? (just read the topic not the post) hmmm.. soap when my eyes are tired.

Stormy Eyes
July 17th, 2005, 02:21 PM
My wife, dressed in black.

smoon
July 17th, 2005, 02:42 PM

Can we please get a picture of that? I'm somehow unable to find this on freshmeat or sourceforge...
:-P

NoTiG
July 17th, 2005, 02:44 PM

unfortunately i have an ATI card but aparently there is something called exa that is gonna enable some candy i think....

Note that this also means
that we can easily give the useless, but oh-so-wanted transparent
windows to everyone right now. Not next year, not when library X will
be ready - now, as in today.
5) Implementing the download/upload/composite hooks will give us enough
power to have very fancy effects that will let us compete with
Microsoft/Apple desktops while we work on Xgl.

Stormy Eyes
July 18th, 2005, 01:26 AM
Can we please get a picture of that? I'm somehow unable to find this on freshmeat or sourceforge...
:-P

You'll have to make do with this (http://starbreaker.net/gallery/us-in-carriage.png). She's on the left.

poptones
July 18th, 2005, 02:00 AM
You're gonna be really sorry you didn't reduce that PNG when the bandwidth bill comes. I gave up after about thirty seconds, it was like waiting for images to come in form the mars lander.

I too was misled by the title of this post. I was gonna post a screencap, but this way doesn't look any fun at all.

Stormy Eyes
July 18th, 2005, 02:07 AM
You're gonna be really sorry you didn't reduce that PNG when the bandwidth bill comes.

I have 15GB/month of transfer. What, me worry?

I gave up after about thirty seconds, it was like waiting for images to come in form the mars lander.

Be gratefull I didn't use TIFF. My wife deserves the best, after all. Are you on dialup, or something?

smoon
July 18th, 2005, 02:14 AM
You'll have to make do with this (http://starbreaker.net/gallery/us-in-carriage.png). She's on the left.

You're a really nice couple. And as long as you're using ADSL or something the pic loads fast enough and 1 MB is not that big either.

super
July 18th, 2005, 04:12 AM
*smile*

Stormy Eyes
July 18th, 2005, 04:21 AM
You're a really nice couple. And as long as you're using ADSL or something the pic loads fast enough and 1 MB is not that big either.

Thanks. I'm on a cable modem myself, so I don't notice if it takes a while. :)