PDA

View Full Version : Free VPS Provider?

ohiodissident
October 16th, 2023, 03:37 AM
Are there any decent VPS providers that are free or really cheap? I tried AWS. It was supposed to be a free year but after a month it said I ran out of hours (750 hours). I don't need much CPU storage or bandwidth. This is for personal use, not business. I will just need a public IP (preferably v4).

QIII
October 16th, 2023, 07:13 AM
RamNode might cost you < $20US/mo depending on the number of processors/memory/storage. I run my websites and blog with them.

I'm sure there are other similar providers.

ohiodissident
October 19th, 2023, 07:20 AM
RamNode might cost you < $20US/mo depending on the number of processors/memory/storage. I run my websites and blog with them.

I'm sure there are other similar providers.

Even $20/month is a bit more than I want to spend. But I realize nothing is really totally free. I'll check them out. Thanks for the suggestion!

TheFu
October 19th, 2023, 01:47 PM
Digital Ocean and Vultr are less than $5/month for their smallest systems. I've seen some less quality VPS for $4/month. They oversold for the hardware, so if you are willing to wait 30 seconds for your VPS to be swapped in, that $1 savings could be worth it. If you don't need the CPU all the time, it isn't hard to automate starting one and configuring it for your specific needs. For example, I need a VPN every few weeks for a few hours, not all the time. When I need one, I'll spin up a vultr minimal instance and have a script that installs the VPN and my keys. In less than 2 minutes, it is ready to go. Running it for 4 hrs costs less than $0.30.