PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about Making a Evelution W-17 third party section.

Omnios
September 1st, 2006, 11:56 PM
Hi the other day I read an article about the Evelution E-17 developments on the web and from what I have seen E-17 looks realy appealing. Also I made a post on edgy development about E-17
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1451440#post1451440
Now thinking about it for a bit it might be possible to make E-17 a third party projest as a possible desktop and hopefully grow into something more like the Xubuntu project. At leaset this would be a good start of the project takes off.

Also found a similar project for slackware
http://slacke17.sourceforge.net/

taken from http://digg.com/linux_unix/Looking_For_Another_Desktop_Environment_Enlightenm ent_17_QuickStart_Guide

does any one looking on resources required for this beauty?
my local numbers is
e16 = 52M, fast
e17 = 60M, medium
KDE = 92M, slowest
GNOME = 96M, slow
XGL = ? (hadn't tried)

Anyways there seems to be a lot of other distros supposting E-16 E-17 installs with packages.

Now there is going to be an agument about Xubuntu and do not get me wrong Xubuntu is greate but I have tryed E-16 before and it might just be what potencial users wan't. I realy didn't take the the Xubuntu set up.

meng
September 1st, 2006, 11:59 PM
Just to clarify - you're talking about Enlightenment, right?

Omnios
September 2nd, 2006, 12:01 AM
Just to clarify - you're talking about Enlightenment, right?

Yes Enlightenment I think E-16 is stable and E-17 is still in the works if I remember

blackened
September 2nd, 2006, 12:18 AM
Having used E-17 for only a few months now I am no sort of authority.

I don't know if this is likely to happen, but I would love it if it did. From the way I understand it most people are annoyed by E-17's binary only format. I personally enjoy the speed benefit of it though, and can live with the difficulty of editing the files. To have a desktop that's both faster and prettier than any Gnome screenshot I've ever seen is a wonderful thing.

Omnios
September 3rd, 2006, 06:41 PM
Having used E-17 for only a few months now I am no sort of authority.

I don't know if this is likely to happen, but I would love it if it did. From the way I understand it most people are annoyed by E-17's binary only format. I personally enjoy the speed benefit of it though, and can live with the difficulty of editing the files. To have a desktop that's both faster and prettier than any Gnome screenshot I've ever seen is a wonderful thing.

Um one quick question, what are your system specs and how fast does in run on your system. Like cpu and ram for starters. Also has anyone else run E-17 on a low ram system?

blackened
September 3rd, 2006, 10:15 PM
Um one quick question, what are your system specs and how fast does in run on your system. Like cpu and ram for starters. Also has anyone else run E-17 on a low ram system?

Athlon 1ghz, 384M of RAM, running Dapper 6.06.

No noticeable lag or hesitation on menus, program startups, mouseover effects on icons, or animated wallpaper. In fact alot of things feel about 50% faster than on Gnome.

Omnios
September 10th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Hi thinking of E-17 again.

Anyways for a very long time I have been thinking of a Ubuntu version to cater to win98 and winME users. At first I thought of making a desktop to cater to those needs. However a while ago I tryed E-16 following a how to I managed to explore E-16. Anyways from what I have read about E-16 and E-17 that they have a fairly small system requirments. I have even heard that some W-build can also run on 64megs ram. Now I do not think 64 megs should be a desktop target as Xubuntu covers that fairly well.

Now as to making a E-17-Ubuntu package I would probably aim for any where from 90megs to 128megs ram as a min requirement. Also there is more than just the desktop in the ram requirment, there is also the requirments of the pits and pieces of the desktop and this would be the main fucus for the development of a E-Ubuntu package.

The bottom line of such a desktop is to fill a 128 megs ram requirement but there even more to this in that the package caters to a low system requirment with lots of bell and whisltes. Also there is a realy nice XFCE file manager with lots of features.

Please Post if you have an interest in this project.

Note: I know that Xubuntu is a low resource desktop but the desire for a E-17 based system is to allow for lots of bells and whistles and eye candy with small system requirments.