PDA

View Full Version : The wit and wisdom of Windows sysadmins

Brunellus
September 1st, 2006, 07:02 PM
An anonymous informant who works in the IT industry forwarded me this e-mail, which he received from his IT Service Desk.:

Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 10:53 AM
To: All
Subject: Critical notification!

Summary: Last night our Anti-virus software vendor released a signature update that incorrectly identified a critical Windows system component as a virus.

Service Impacted: None, as long as *no* production Windows systems are rebooted until further notice.

Description: While no virus infections actually took place, this may have left several production systems in a potentially unstable state due to the deletion of the incorrectly flagged file. It is critical that *no* production Windows systems are rebooted until further notice. We are working with the vendor to resolve this issue as quickly as possible & appreciate your patience and cooperation.

Contact Instructions: Please contact the Service Desk if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Service Desk

mips
September 1st, 2006, 07:15 PM
The funny thing is corporates always say "We need vendor support" but this is not always forthcoming. So much for your support.

My favorite I saw was from MS "By design". Yeah, by design it does not work the way a reasonable person would expect. Not to bash them but this always made me chuckle. They are basically saying "get lost"

BuffaloX
September 1st, 2006, 07:28 PM
Well we did have this unfortunate X incident.
If it wasn't for that, Ubuntu reliability would have had a much higher rating in my house.
If Microsoft had done something similar, it would have been in the news for every paper and TV station.

DoctorMO
September 1st, 2006, 07:52 PM
The difference is that windows just dies and people reboot, desensitised I think is the word.

Besides, what am I talking about I last used windows 98.

Yossarian
September 1st, 2006, 08:10 PM
I worked as a LAN administrator for four months, and this is pretty much par for the course. It doesn't happen everyday, but I saw a couple of things like this.

Once a patch we pushed out broke dialing in with a script, which we still made heavy use of. Somehow that got past both our and MS' testers. What a nightmare. I'm sure there's some law that states that breaks roll out faster than fixes do.

Dragonbite
September 1st, 2006, 08:41 PM
Microsoft troubleshooting method goes by the 4 "R"s (and it ain't reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic either!)

Restart (the applications)
Reboot (the computer)
Reinstall (the application)
Rinstall (Windows)
Remove Windows and install Linux ;)

BuffaloX
September 1st, 2006, 08:58 PM
Microsoft troubleshooting method goes by the 4 "R"s (and it ain't reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic either!)

Restart (the applications)
Reboot (the computer)
Reinstall (the application)
Rinstall (Windows)
Remove Windows and install Linux ;)

:D Ususally it's direct to Reinstall Windows. :p