PDA

View Full Version : is it just me or does the font look better in linux than windows?

NoTiG
September 1st, 2006, 02:18 AM
it took me a while to find a font i liked. Now that i use bitstream vera sans roman... i like it better than windows. !

croak77
September 1st, 2006, 02:27 AM
It's just you. They look about the same to me.

!nkubus
September 1st, 2006, 02:47 AM

For me everything look better in Linux :P

grte
September 1st, 2006, 02:48 AM
Not just him. I use bitstream vera sans, as well, and I quite like it.

Unless it's terminal. In terminal, it can only be monospace.

ComplexNumber
September 1st, 2006, 03:01 AM
is it just me or does the font look better in linux than windows? nope, its not just you. i much prefer them too....but only in gnome. the fonts in gnome look smooth and antialiased, whereas those in kde and windows don't look very easy on the eye.

JimmyJazz
September 1st, 2006, 04:22 AM
its not you, I think they look much better in ubuntu.

Sam
September 1st, 2006, 04:36 AM
Yes, the Microsoft ClearType antialiasing is much worse than in Linux.

http://www.microsoft.com/reader/info/features/images/cleartype.gif

IYY
September 1st, 2006, 05:03 AM

It's not just him. The fonts look very different to anyone who has a decent eyesight. First of all, the antialiasing and hinting is completely different, and the default font is also not the same one.

I don't like the Ubuntu fonts, but it's a matter of taste (and it's easy to configure Ubuntu to use Windows-like rendering).

PryGuy
September 1st, 2006, 07:41 AM
I also think that fonts look better in Ubuntu! FreeSans font really rocks if you set it as the interface font! A also like the scalability of the Gnome interface in general (sorry for going offtopic a bit).

croak77
September 1st, 2006, 07:48 AM
It's not just him. The fonts look very different to anyone who has a decent eyesight. First of all, the antialiasing and hinting is completely different, and the default font is also not the same one.

I don't like the Ubuntu fonts, but it's a matter of taste (and it's easy to configure Ubuntu to use Windows-like rendering).

I really don't see that much difference. I'm talking about the same font. Not the default font on each system.

Castar
September 1st, 2006, 04:18 PM
nope, its not just you. i much prefer them too....but only in gnome. the fonts in gnome look smooth and antialiased, whereas those in kde and windows don't look very easy on the eye.

Have you seen the fonts in Kopete? They're stunning! (if adjusted properly ;) )

Generally, the fonts look much nicer in linux. Unfortunately, not all webpage fonts are well rendered without installing the MS fonts... I remember it was a slight disappointment when I was beginning with linux...

starko
September 16th, 2006, 11:13 AM
They don't look better in either - there are many ways to show text and in your case Ubuntu has a way that you like and Windows does not have it. In my case Windows has a way that i prefer. Luckily it's seems possible to make it work in Ubuntu as well

Anduu
September 16th, 2006, 09:56 PM
They don't look better in either - there are many ways to show text and in your case Ubuntu has a way that you like and Windows does not have it. In my case Windows has a way that i prefer. Luckily it's seems possible to make it work in Ubuntu as well

Excactly...

It is purely a matter of preference.Obviously there is a difference visually but what it comes down to is which you like best.All this "which is better" debate is completely pointless.