PDA

View Full Version : College Questions!

Toxicity999
September 1st, 2006, 01:00 AM
As some of you know I spend alot of my afternoon (before school most of my day.) Poking around the Newbie forums helping out and general thigns of that nature. Now... this sounds weird... but As I'm going into a Technology field could I technically use all my time here as 'Volunteer' work? I mean It helped me learn quite a bit myself overall, and now I spend alot of my time giving back... and it all goes toward my final goal of going to college for the generic geek thing, programming and such. (In fact one of my aspirations is to become an employee working on ubuntu! Either that or other companies I love Google, Blizzard, etc.) Anyway... I'm a highly typical Geek I goto highschool and come home... I don't do sports and I don't currently have a real job. When I come home I mainly hover the forums and commit to responding in the support forums. (I'm not always the all aswers guy but for being 15 I do pretty well!)

On top of asking this I have a completely off topic set of cuestions about college to present to you guys namely I plan on going to The University of Maine (For lack of funding else where!) But I don't really know what these schools look for! Their sites never answer any questions only raise them! For example how strict are most schools on this 'Two years of a foreign language' policy? It doesn't make much sense to me but hey. What grades are considered 'there' should I strive for strict As and Bs? How much do all of these extra ciricculars count for these days? Which falls back to my desperate attempt at amassing all I do into a makeshift application at the end of this year. I have been on TONS of projects in my past. And usually end up some kind of Support staff or just in general helping the community with some trivial knowledge I pick up.

But I digress... I'm just looking for some general tips from a community I really respect! I need answers so I can formulate my plans for finishing highschool to get into a college. (I'm currently a junior!) I don't get amazing grades... infact most often subpar with Cs/Bs But I truly am an intelligent person! Do they look past the grades for admission to the person... or is it truly all about the numbers? That's why I ask about Considering this 'Volunteer' work I really need to pad my application soon... but this by no means is a 'job' obviously. They probably wouldn't understand contributions over having an actual employment as a volunteer... I'm jsut so frustrated because I get no answers about college anywhere, the college itself poses no help, and my guidance counseler though well intentioned isn't a huge help... So I turn to you!

Edit:
Also... how much does 'Self Education' Count for? I mean... I teach myself alot, or pick it up around here. but it's not in any tangible form such as an actual class... can that too be added to an application perhaps under 'skills' or something?

skymt
September 1st, 2006, 01:22 AM
Okay, I'll try to answer your questions:

* Schools are very strict on their requirements. You will have to bite the bullet and take the language courses.
* My professors have driven it into us all that we need at least a 3.0 college GPA to get noticed by corporations. I assume that's also the magic number for admissions.
* Extra-curricular activities are important to get into college. Once you're in, they're important to survive the stress.
* A high SAT score will really help you overcome a poor report card. Take the test as many times as you need, and practice for at least a month beforehand.
* See point #3. Schools look at more than grades, but grades are important also.
* Self education counts for very little. You still have to take the prerequisites. However, the more you teach yourself beforehand, the better you'll do in Comp Sci courses. Just blow through the stuff you learned and take the credits.

A couple general points:

* Get good at writing. You'll need to write for the SAT, and for most college applications. Then, once you're in, you'll be writing more almost every day. Start practicing now.
* Get some experiences. Applications love to ask you about experiences. Camping is a good way to rack them up, as long as you're sufficiently adventurous.
* Learn Java. It's all you'll be doing in most Computer Science programs, so get good at in now.

teet
September 1st, 2006, 01:32 AM
You're 15 and a Junior??? Did you skip a year?

I assume that the University of Maine is the main (no pun intended) public university in your state? If it's anything like the University of Missouri, it shouldn't be that hard to get into.

The way I see it, there are at least a couple of different routes you could take:
1) Focus on your high school grades and activities
2) Focus on doing really well on the ACT/SAT
3) Both (probably not needed if you're just going to a public in-state university).

I don't know much about SAT scores, but a 24 on the ACT will probably get you into pretty much any public university (provided you didn't fail all your classes in high school or something).

Finally, don't stress out about the whole college thing too much. The worst case scenario is that you won't get into the University of Maine, you'll spend a couple of years going to a community college (which can save a ton of money) where you'll amass a decent GPA (3.whatever), and then you'll go to University of Maine for your final two years to finish your degree.

-teet

slimdog360
September 1st, 2006, 01:38 AM
I was in the same boat as you a few years back. I just missed out on getting into uni so I had to spend a year doing an enabling program at the uni. It was either that or retake my final year at high school.
I can only guess what skymt said true (it sounded true) as here in Australia it all gets based on your marks from high school.
But I do know that if you sound keen to go to college in your application and show that you really want to learn it will help immensely. Show that you are active in the respective field of what degree you are going for.

Toxicity999
September 1st, 2006, 01:43 AM
Good pointers!
As I said my first two years in this high school I didn't do particularly BAD. Cs and Bs but by no means was it good. I plan to make up for that this year and try to strictly get As and Bs in some of the academic courses I'm taking. Now... my problem Is don't specifically know the requirments! I asked the university on their site, I mailed them for more info and such but I can't get a strait response of What courses I should get in during high school! I fear it might be too late now to cram them in. Not going to college is pretty much my worst fear ever. I mean in the IT field if you can't teach yourself everything you need to know to be a great candidate you're not much without graduating college right? I just don't know what I would do otherwise as I do have some issues just trying to pick up programming languages myself most nubly guides all in fact refer to previous knowledge of other languages as if theres no way in haha. I know the STRUCTURE of the majority of languages from just general absorption of knowledge but past that I have... well not much... I guess it's all about cracking down on my current courses (this school year literally started today so no hope lost yet =P) I'll pick up some SAT books (We are forced to take them this year... and then pay to retake if we need.) and study my little **** off. And frankly... I don't want to get into personal things here so much but Extra Ciricular activities just aren't much of an option for me... Literally all there is in this small town is sports sports sports... I Could join something like Upward bound. But I'm just so messed up all that uncomfortable situation would just kill me you know... I'm like a complete introvert honestly haha. College I could hoever handle it's just getting in! Thanks for the response.

To the second poster it's not really a public university per se (do I spell that right? I've always wondered.. and I assume the meaning of public as just easier to get into than the big guys and yea there.) It's actually a really good state university. They aren't super strict but it's still kind of hard to get into, I dehno. And I started school a few months before turning 5. So I always turn the age I should of been last year a month into the next school year... turning 16 end of september.

I'm just paranoid they'll cut me right of the list unfairly for the extra ciricular bit... No matter how well I do with the grades. And as I said I still don't know whole heartedly what specific classes I need to take foro them to like me you know.

To the Thirdddd, That's what I was talking about. To seem active in the field I want in on I could use my experience here and other places right? I mean Most people associate Linux Gnowledge (A Gnome reference! How lame of me :p) with instant geekdom.

Sorry for the long posts! I'm rather long winded hehe.

Brunellus
September 1st, 2006, 03:05 AM
There are three main things they'll look for:

1) Your GPA
2) Your test scores: SAT, SAT-2 (pick three subjects), and/or ACT
3) Your recommendations.

"Self-education" will shine through in your Personal Statement. More importantly, it should reflect itself in the other three indices: you will do better in class, you will score higher on your tests, and your teachers will recognize you as a bright and earnest student.

At the end of the day, your job is to do well at school. If you fail to do that, good feelings will not save you.

Suggestions:

Study. This is the most important thing. You MUST find some way to haul your grades out of the Cs.

Get involved. Find something you love doing, and do it.

Keep your eyes on the prize.

Imagine this situation: there is one spot left, and you might be the one that fills it. There's one sympathetic admissions officer, but he has to convince at least two of his colleagues to accept you. Your job is to make his job easier by being the best you can be.

Skia_42
September 1st, 2006, 05:57 AM
I did a little searching on http://www.go.umaine.edu/ the website was a little hard to navigate but I found this:
http://www.catalog.umaine.edu/content.php?catoid=41&page=rpp_admission.html
I don't know if that helps or not. Sites usually give you info such as minimum HS GPA and so on, I'm sure it's on the site somewhere it is just hard to find.

aysiu
September 1st, 2006, 06:20 AM
Read The Gatekeepers: Inside the Admissions Process of a Premier College (http://www.amazon.com/Gatekeepers-Admissions-Process-Premier-College/dp/0142003085/sr=8-1/qid=1157087984/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-7086026-0549569?ie=UTF8&s=books).

Toxicity999
September 1st, 2006, 11:57 AM
Thanks for all the feedback I knew I'd get some good pointers as most of guys went into the same thing I'm going to =P

I'll put that book on my list picking up a few SAT books soon to to jump ahead of schedule some. But not enoug hto degrade performance normally lol. Just in my free time. When I'm not WoWing or posting here until I get withing 2-3 months of when they make us test then I'll crack down more.

mips
September 1st, 2006, 06:41 PM
Is'nt a SAT test like a IQ/Aptitude test ? If 'yes' then how can you study for it ?

I saw them once a the American Consulate Library in Cape Town and it looked like something I did when I was 13 (just entered high school).

Brunellus
September 1st, 2006, 06:46 PM
Is'nt a SAT test like a IQ/Aptitude test ? If 'yes' then how can you study for it ?

I saw them once a the American Consulate Library in Cape Town and it looked like something I did when I was 13 (just entered high school).
one studies for the SAT by improving one's ability to do the questions that arise most often on it.

Generally, they comprise a narrow set of reading comprehension questions, and a few questions on basic mathematics.

aysiu
September 1st, 2006, 07:19 PM
Is'nt a SAT test like a IQ/Aptitude test ? If 'yes' then how can you study for it ? Quite the opposite, actually. The SAT is a test that's skill and knowledge based. It does not test your I.Q. or aptitude.

Toxicity999
September 1st, 2006, 08:29 PM
Personally I think Intelligence is more important then knowledge, yet you also need a certain amount of knowledge to even use that intelligence to it's fullest! Funky circle. You guys gave some GREAT tips, a good amount of it I already knew but I'm the type of person that needs things verified a ton before I'm comfortable anyway. so this was all good stuff. Lol.

Brunellus
September 1st, 2006, 08:38 PM
hate to be the one who tells you this, kid, but for the purposes of getting into college (or indeed, any bureaucratic purpose whatsoever) what YOU think is not nearly as relevant or important as what THEY think of you.

teet
September 1st, 2006, 08:43 PM

I had to take the ACT where I'm from, but the tests are generally similar.

Practicing for the ACT helped me A LOT. You need to be familiar with the format of the test to really excel. For example, the first time I took the english portion of the ACT during a practice test I only got like a 25 or 26. After practicing a few more times something inside my head just sort of *clicked* and I started routinely scoring 33's 34's and 35's on the english portion of the practice tests. If I would have gone into the real test cold-turkey, my final score would undoubtedly have been several points below the score that I got.

With that said, being familiar with the format of the test can only help so much. After 3 or 4 practice ACT tests my scores kind of leveled off.

-teet