PDA

View Full Version : How about system requirements link on main page?

dcraven
April 8th, 2005, 02:19 PM
This may seem silly to most people since the answer really depends on the environment used after install, but what about a "System Requirement" link off of the UbuntuLinux main website? It could offer a minimum requirements suggestion for the default Ubuntu/Kubuntu install and possibly a brief explanation of different environment choices (ie XFCE and fluxbox etc) and a suggested system requirement for that as well. New users to Linux are probably accustomed to seeing such a link on software websites and users of questionably older machines might appreciate the mention of older still being quite useful with nice, user freindly environments (XFCE).

We'd probably need to decide on the generally suggested minimum first which may be difficult since many people's opinion of acceptable performance will vary greatly. I think it might be safe to err on the conservative side in this case.

Something to consider?
~djc

PS. I might be missing an already existing link to such a page too, but I don't see it.

dcraven
April 8th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Such a link would fit perfectly directly under the "About Ubuntu" one on the left side of the new Ubuntu main page IMHO.

~djc

UbuWu
April 8th, 2005, 11:19 PM
I think the homepage in general should have a lot more information about what Ubuntu really is. Currently most of the information is more about the philosophy of Ubuntu than anything else. And there should be clear information about what's included in Ubuntu (not a list of packages, but what you can do with it). At the moment I don't think there is anything on the website that would convince me to try out Ubuntu if I wouldn't have heard of it beforehand...

Sleepy_Sentry
April 9th, 2005, 02:10 AM
I think that's a great idea. There really isn't enough information about it on the website.

Listing what software and applications come with it would also be a good idea.

poofyhairguy
April 9th, 2005, 02:11 AM
We'd probably need to decide on the generally suggested minimum first which may be difficult since many people's opinion of acceptable performance will vary greatly.

I say Pentuim 200+mhz and 64+mb of ram for minimum.

Recommended is 600+ mhz and 256+mb of RAM.