PDA

View Full Version : Which Open Source CMS?

nocturn
August 31st, 2006, 07:59 AM
What Open Source CMS do you prefer and why?

nocturn
August 31st, 2006, 08:01 AM
I currently have both Joomla and a Drupal site operational. They both have advantages, but I would prefer a merger of both of them.
I've looked at Xoops, but haven't tried it.

My main issue with both is that user roles/permissions are too limited.

tribaal
August 31st, 2006, 08:26 AM
I personally like eGroupWare (http://www.egroupware.org/) a lot. It really meets my needs.

- trib'

Adler
August 31st, 2006, 09:19 AM
Joomla -- Hosted by Siteground. Check me out!

Why the Question?

nocturn
August 31st, 2006, 09:24 AM
Joomla -- Hosted by Siteground. Check me out!

Why the Question?

As I said, I have both Joomla and Drupal (Drupal only on a testing site) and it's hard to decide which one is best as each has features that the other lacks. To make it even more complex, there are others out there like Xoops that I haven't tested yet.

So, I decided to ask the community about what they like in the different systems.

Adler
August 31st, 2006, 09:31 AM
nocturn,

Drupal looks like Drupal. I never found it like anything that I wanted to work with in regard to Web Site Development. Joomla rules!

As I said before check my site out.

Adler

nocturn
August 31st, 2006, 09:34 AM
nocturn,

Drupal looks like Drupal. I never found it like anything that I wanted to work with in regard to Web Site Development. Joomla rules!

As I said before check my site out.

Adler

I did, and it looks very good. My own site (in signature) is also in Joomla.

But I like some thing in Drupal too. For the site which I'm testing now, the calendar module rocks (it generates an Ical feed that you can use in Google Calendar, Evolution etc).

dlai
August 31st, 2006, 09:39 AM
Actually I'v been fiddling around with drupal (that's what I voted), but I haven't tried the others.What I want to do is have a Gallery site.. but I just can't make the Gallery module in drupal work, is any of the others better with Gallery or Gallery 2?

nocturn
August 31st, 2006, 10:08 AM
Actually I'v been fiddling around with drupal (that's what I voted), but I haven't tried the others.What I want to do is have a Gallery site.. but I just can't make the Gallery module in drupal work, is any of the others better with Gallery or Gallery 2?

Wasn't Acidfree or something like that a Gallery?

dlai
August 31st, 2006, 10:17 AM
Wasn't Acidfree or something like that a Gallery?

Well it looks like it. But I was looking for an approach where it would be easy to upload pictures from many users, especially Windows users, therefore the Gallery module provided what I needed since it had the Windows transfer plugin.. Or F-spot!!!! But I just couldn't make it work

awakatanka
August 31st, 2006, 10:23 AM
http://www.opensourcecms.com/

here you can test all of them. and lots more.

nocturn
August 31st, 2006, 10:24 AM
I'm having some diffuculty with Drupal.

Does anyone know how to make a frontpage like the one on spreadfirefox.com (also Drupal) where the text on the frontpage doesn't have the metadata of an article/page?

curuxz
August 31st, 2006, 10:57 AM
I use a modified version of Joomla on most of my sites until my own CMS system can be perfected, which wont be until feb 07. Please do not group together mambo and joomla, one is open source the other is commericaly controled and a violation of the community trust in FOSS development mambo does not have the right to be in the same sentence as joomla.

nocturn
August 31st, 2006, 10:59 AM
I use a modified version of Joomla on most of my sites until my own CMS system can be perfected, which wont be until feb 07. Please do not group together mambo and joomla, one is open source the other is commericaly controled and a violation of the community trust in FOSS development mambo does not have the right to be in the same sentence as joomla.

I know, and you are right, that is why I switched from Mambo to Joomla.

But in practice, Mambo 4.5 and Joomla 1.0 are laregly the same and extensions are interchangeable.

az
August 31st, 2006, 11:24 AM
I'm having some diffuculty with Drupal.

Does anyone know how to make a frontpage like the one on spreadfirefox.com (also Drupal) where the text on the frontpage doesn't have the metadata of an article/page?

Look at the Front Page module.

As well, for your user permissions, take a look at the Taxonomy Access Control module.

To be honest, I have always found Joomla poorly documented and hard to use. I have spend many hours actually doing things with Drupal where I spend the same amount of time with Joomla trying to figure out where to start.

fuscia
August 31st, 2006, 11:44 AM
i've read everything so far and i still have no clue what this thread is about.

ember
August 31st, 2006, 11:59 AM
I have used Mambo for quite a while and there are quite a couple of good templates that can be used as a start for Mambo/Joomla. But I guess, I will try Textpattern (http://textpattern.com/ next. I always had the feeling that Mambo was
a) not very secure
b) kind of overkill for small sites

bluenova
August 31st, 2006, 12:07 PM
I currently have both Joomla and a Drupal site operational. They both have advantages, but I would prefer a merger of both of them.
I've looked at Xoops, but haven't tried it.

My main issue with both is that user roles/permissions are too limited.
A lot of people use Xoops over Joomla/Mambo because of user permissions. With Xoops it is very expandable. You can setup as many groups as you require, set the permissions for the groups on a per module and per block basis, and then assign members to groups.

You can check it out with a whole load of modules installed on my site here:
http://xoopsmods.mmwebsites.com

It doesn't look like much as it's just the default theme, but it'll give you an idea of the power.

frrobert
August 31st, 2006, 12:22 PM
My favorite is Joomla for most things.

My favorite for e-commerce is Zen Cart.

If your some reason you don't have an online database, Guppy works well, it can be some what difficult to add forks and such sometimes because of language issues. Guppy's native language is French so if you are using English or another language sometimes it gets a bit confusing.

Adler
August 31st, 2006, 01:42 PM
Hi All,

For a CMS -- Joomla and that can do eCommerce. I've never found Zen Cart, CubeCart or the other eCommerce solutions to be that managable without it looking like a clone of several thousand sites. LOL!

Joomla comes out of the work of the Mambo team -- after a split, and the sites are the best I've ever seen. IMHO.

Adler

curuxz
August 31st, 2006, 03:36 PM
I know, and you are right, that is why I switched from Mambo to Joomla.

But in practice, Mambo 4.5 and Joomla 1.0 are laregly the same and extensions are interchangeable.

Indeed, But joomla 1.5 will be a total split from the mambo code since they are working on more AJAX implemention. I my self am working on my own php/mysql/ajax system that I hope to launch around feb and open source next summer, most of the big ones have become way to bogged down in arguing about what little money they do make to be effective.

Adler
August 31st, 2006, 04:13 PM
I tried learning several Web Site Design softwares, and bought several books regarding Ruby & Rails. That was the latest hottest Web App thing. I do know a good deal of Code Weavers and they have backed off of it.

Basically, it can not integrate with DBs that are running, and the learning curve is too steep for a running business. I was always told PHP was too vulnerable to attack, but that has changed. There is a lot of experience here in the thinking involving this post.

As a long time Web Site Develepor "Wanna" be. Joomla blows everything away. The several Mambo sites that I've looked @ Mambo -- now Joomla -- are the best.

I'll get off my platform now. Come back at me should you have something hosted.

Adler

Adler

UbuWu
August 31st, 2006, 06:54 PM
I really like CMS Made Simple (http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/). It is one of the easiest to use.

az
August 31st, 2006, 08:31 PM
i've read everything so far and i still have no clue what this thread is about.

MySpace on steroids, in your box.

Adler
August 31st, 2006, 08:50 PM
azz,

MySpace has nothing to do with Content Management. Unless you think so. Then I come from the Star Trek generation. Remember that?

Adler

rowanparker
August 31st, 2006, 08:58 PM
I really like Simple Machines Forum (http://www.simplemachines.org/). It's not GPL, but I read the license and it's open source (I think).

az
August 31st, 2006, 10:15 PM
azz,

MySpace has nothing to do with Content Management. Unless you think so. Then I come from the Star Trek generation. Remember that?

Adler

My Space is a blog kinda thing, right? With neat features?

You can host a blog site on a CMS, and do much much more. Hence the "in your box" and "on steriods".

How would you describe a CMS in as few words as possible. Without using geek-talking terminology? While trying to be funny?

Adler
August 31st, 2006, 10:28 PM
azz,

There is a bunch of differences between Portals, Shoppimg Carts, CMS, Blogs, etc. Do you have a Google AdSense Acount? Can you put Ads into your site? I can either with GoogleAdSenmse or Yahoo.

Can you edit HTML? I like Joomla because I can edit [I]everything[/I. My host @ SiteGround just gave me a life long hosting plan because I could sneak in their ad to my site.

Check it out.

Adler

Corvillus
September 1st, 2006, 07:49 AM
Actually, I think all of those examples you mentioned could be considered content management system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_management_system) powered. For example, Joomla, Drupal and XOOPS are portal CMSes (and very versatile ones at that, since they scale up or down to other types of CMSes with their plugin systems), WordPress, MovableType and b2evolution are blog CMSes, ZenCart and OSCommerce are transactional CMSes, etc. Actually, you could even go so far as to consider the mess of ColdFusion/.NET junk that MySpace runs on to be a proprietary social networking CMS.

Anyway, back to the topic, out of those in the poll I prefer Joomla, mainly because of it's ease of use and configurability, large library of plugins, and nice administration interface and permissions system. Drupal is also pretty nice from what I saw of it, but I haven't really played with it all that much. As for XOOPS, I have no idea, never touched the thing.

H.E. Pennypacker
September 21st, 2006, 09:52 PM
Please do not group together mambo and joomla, one is open source the other is commericaly controled and a violation of the community trust in FOSS development mambo does not have the right to be in the same sentence as joomla.

curuxz, I may not know what I am talking about, but Mambo is GNU GPL, and that alone is enough to certify its open-source-ness. Just the fact that it is released under GNU GPL is enough for me to trust the product.

I don't care about the childish in-fighting. This sort of fighting eachother hurts the development of open source software, and also hurts the open source image. You never see Bill Gates fighting someone who works with him over disagreements, do you? Any problems should be sorted out internally, and shouldn't become a public debacle.

But as of now, due to the uncertain future of Mambo, it looks like I'll have to use Joomla.

mcduck
September 11th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I've been quite happy with ModX, nice and easy to work with, not too bloated, and works well with my style of making web pages.

http://modxcms.com/

Although most of my clients either don't want a CMS at all (since they have too little money) or want a custom CMS built to fit their exact needs (since they have too much money). :D