PDA

View Full Version : Is Ubuntu/Gnome user friendly enough?

Cyraxzz
August 31st, 2006, 02:27 AM
Edit: Wrong thread.

Cyraxzz
August 31st, 2006, 02:33 AM
Since that's what the avrage user always complains about, the desktop environment not being simple enough.

IYY
August 31st, 2006, 02:42 AM
It's too user-friendly if you ask me. The only thing that keeps me from switching to KDE is the polished look and feel.

aysiu
August 31st, 2006, 03:05 AM
The average user doesn't complain about Ubuntu because the average user doesn't use Ubuntu. The average user uses Windows.

Only long-time Linux users, ex-Mac users, and ex-Windows power user use Ubuntu. Average users don't. Sometimes ex-Windows power users try to complain on behalf of "average users" about Ubuntu not being "user friendly" enough.

It doesn't really matter anyway.
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/linuxdesktopmyth

jISh
August 31st, 2006, 03:14 AM
asyiu, that's not entirely true, I have converted lots of friends to linux, even ones who weren't especially great at computers. With a little help getting up and running, they can do anything they usually did with Windows on Linux and have no complaints.

But still, it is true, what defines an "average user"?

majesticturkey
August 31st, 2006, 03:14 AM
I think so. I had no problem whatsoever learning to use GNOME. But that's just me, of course. It's a lot easier to configure than KDE, IMO, too. So if someone doesn't like how it feels, they can change it. For me, I like having a cross between the OS X top bar and Windows' systray and start menu, so I have a main menu, quicklaunch, notify area, etc.

fuscia
August 31st, 2006, 03:27 AM
yes.

frrobert
August 31st, 2006, 03:39 AM
When I switched my wife from Windows ME to Ubuntu she had no problems. She found gnome very intuitive for the most part.

She would be somewhere between an average user and a power user in Windows, she had never used linux before.

I believe what made her transition so smooth was she was already using Firefox and open office on the windows side.