PDA

View Full Version : microsoft.com forum - user fed up with wga mentions dapper - met with "bye" response

PriceChild
August 31st, 2006, 12:50 AM
In #ubuntuforums (IRC channel) the following post was pointed out to me:
http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=519501&SiteID=25&&DI=6066&IG=40c5435f16ea4040a947de91ca404231&POS=9&CM=WPU&CE=9&CS=AWP&SR=9
In which a user is pretty angry sounding, but still quite polite, however his post is removed and has a rude reply.

So i've posted a follow up:
http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=684027&SiteID=25

Trying to be very very polite about it.

The guy is switching to ubuntu afterall, back him up!

Pricey

UPDATE

Both of the above threads have been deleted, and i wouldn't be surprised if all the participants banned also.

%hMa@?b<C
August 31st, 2006, 01:04 AM
Boy, that IS rude

Jaszman,

Bye!

PriceChild
August 31st, 2006, 01:05 AM
Just noticed the thread was locked too :P

John.Michael.Kane
August 31st, 2006, 01:15 AM
Have you read the rest of some those issues posted on that site. there are some very angry folks over there.

PriceChild
August 31st, 2006, 01:27 AM
I'm surprised at how many people are also using dodgy versions of windows... then deciding to pay for it.

Microsoft has released a way to remove the WGA notifications.

You may also still receive automatic updates, just not use the windows update site if you have dodgy serial number.

Pricey

EDIT
Whoa my first coffee cup!!!!!

nalmeth
August 31st, 2006, 01:37 AM
Hey! Stop advocating linux! :p
Haha, those forums are a good read, people are pretty pissed off!
There are like two people trying to answer everyones problems, but they get barraged by angry rants about WGA.
I can relate as to why you'd want to post there, but it's not worth the trouble. Unless of course, we all did it in mass :p

PriceChild
August 31st, 2006, 01:50 AM
I've just been banned!!!!!!!!

:'(

Someone get me a tissue :(

They also cleared out my hotmail inbox... but i've been using gmail for a while so doesn't matter.

The thing is, my email address is tied into their systems as its in xbox LIVE, and believe me... i've tried my hardest to try and change my email, and they cannot change nor get rid of it. :P

Tis quite funny.

PriceChild
August 31st, 2006, 01:52 AM
Unless of course, we all did it in mass :p

I recon i should sign back in in my other account, and a few of us do it, but not mention ubuntu linux of course.

And be very civilised.

I find it quite appalling how i've been so polite, but been banned with no reason.

Pricey

djsroknrol
August 31st, 2006, 05:23 AM
XP ran on my computer for 20 minutes...when MS said I'd have to buy another copy for my second computer, that's when it came off...I won't have software telling me what I can and cannot run on my 'puters....Billy boy is full of KA KA as far as I'm concerned, and has seen enough of my hard earned money...

Linux and Ubuntu love me...they do what I want...not what they want to do on my computers.

EDIT: Those MS forum members don't sound any different than how some members here treat people who leave us and go back to MS products....

Christmas
August 31st, 2006, 05:33 AM
They also cleared out my hotmail inbox... but i've been using gmail for a while so doesn't matter.
Are you serious? They did a thing like that? Unbelievable! Just don't use it anymore.

chaosgeisterchen
August 31st, 2006, 05:58 AM
Holy ****! There is no justice in this world :(

Microsoft really suppress users raging against them to keep the image of a clear, friendly business. What a masquerade! Unbelievable *shakes his head*

Just yesterday I got a new notebook and am now forced to use windows (ubuntu crashes on boot due to x-server-error), but things like that make me wanna delete it just in time...

MaximB
August 31st, 2006, 06:18 AM
I realized that even MS users hate Linux.
not just MS.
and there is no "free talk" in MS forums
if you just say MS suck - you are banned.
but questions and problems they have to let you pose

DoctorMO
August 31st, 2006, 07:48 AM
I've always liked the way Ubuntu forums has fee speach like that, if someone starts raving about how bad Linux is we just have a good old usenet flame war we don't ban them.

Derek Djons
August 31st, 2006, 09:48 AM
I never understand Microsoft's intentions. They can't stand criticism, but they create blogs and .mac rip off products (Live) where users can do what they want. Not that long ago, one or two years ago blogs where removed from msn because people were ventilating there opinion about MS and politics.

So what to expect?

tribaal
August 31st, 2006, 10:04 AM
We apologize, but an unknown error has occured in the forums.

Let me guess, lack of ActiveX support maybe? Oh no, it's just censorship :)

- trib'

kostkon
August 31st, 2006, 10:55 AM
Let me guess, lack of ActiveX support maybe? Oh no, it's just censorship :)

- trib'

I tested the links with Internet Explorer and maybe it's censorship. The second link gives the error message and, in the first, if you try to say if this post was useful, again the same error message.

Interestingly, it allows you to to post a reply!!

Strange things!!

PriceChild
August 31st, 2006, 11:06 AM
EDIT: Those MS forum members don't sound any different than how some members here treat people who leave us and go back to MS products....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=245519

For example.

I think everyone was quite polite, and gave suggestions INCLUDING ALTERNATIVE DISTOS! that may help the user get used to linux!

I simply mentioned i use ubuntu, and was told i was advocating its use on the MS forums! It was only then that i mentioned it was obviously superior :P

I'm going to write a written complaint today about my treatment on those forums before i disappear mountaneering for the week. I think it was extremely unfair, with no attempt to inform me as to why i was banned!

Pricey

frup
August 31st, 2006, 01:12 PM
I laughed so hard when all i got was forum errors...

Not only is Windows Crap but so is ASP and their forums lol.
Or maybe its because im not using IE or windows... I think a cool campaign, instead of something like counter.li.org would be to get every linux user to set their homepage to microsoft.com lol... wonder if we could get linux users above 10-15% that would have billy and his minions confused

Brunellus
August 31st, 2006, 01:17 PM
OK microsofties, I'll cut you a deal: You don't troll my forums, and I don't troll yours.

slimdog360
August 31st, 2006, 02:41 PM
reading other threads in those forums I see many many many other people in the same boat as me. I tried 3 cd keys, two legal and one illegal, when my first cd key (my legal cdkey from my legal copy of windows) said that it was an illegal key I tried a friends legal cd key. Same thing happened so I thought Id take a shot and give an illegal cdkey a try. Same thing as with the others.

I cant stand booting into windows now, I keep getting a stupid popup even though Ive downloaded about 50 tools to get rid of the wga spyware.

bruce89
August 31st, 2006, 02:45 PM
...even though Ive downloaded about 50 tools to get rid of the wga spyware.

These tools are probably spyware too.

PryGuy
August 31st, 2006, 03:34 PM
I cant stand booting into windows now, I keep getting a stupid popup even though Ive downloaded about 50 tools to get rid of the wga spyware.I feel exactly the same about Windows. Yet WGA will be integrated into Vista on a kernel level I think so you just won't be able to get rid it this way. And I don't want to get rid of this crap personally. I think I'll be able to make a complete switch pretty soon.

Brynster
August 31st, 2006, 04:16 PM
the original complaint thread is open for posting. I know i just posted there.

richbarna
August 31st, 2006, 04:28 PM
In #ubuntuforums (IRC channel) the following post was pointed out to me:
http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=519501&SiteID=25&&DI=6066&IG=40c5435f16ea4040a947de91ca404231&POS=9&CM=WPU&CE=9&CS=AWP&SR=9
In which a user is pretty angry sounding, but still quite polite, however his post is removed and has a rude reply.

So i've posted a follow up:
http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=684027&SiteID=25

Trying to be very very polite about it.

The guy is switching to ubuntu afterall, back him up!

Pricey

(ps please dont' hurt me)

I have just backed him up. Honestly, what a great advert for IT Associates !!!

Dinerty
August 31st, 2006, 07:21 PM
Intresting read, least he has the guts to totally change OS, the question is whether he was just angry and has now calmed down and decided to stay with Windows or he has made the switch

PryGuy
August 31st, 2006, 07:43 PM
Well, it's hard to quit Windows. Microsoft was wise enough to make Windows the most popular OS for developers. Ubuntu is better than Windows in terms of architecture, but what's the use of it if developers still neglect it so far. So the guy is probably very courageous if he really decided to do it!

Reshin
August 31st, 2006, 07:48 PM
This section of the forum tends to attract the wanna-be lawyers (since I would venture to guess that over 3/4 of the posters are threatening to sue), the confirmed Linux enthusiasts (a much more respectful term than "fanboy," wouldn't you agree?), and it would seem hundreds of those who are "threatening" to move to Linux. These folks, like the OP who did not ask for help of any kind, show up spewing accusations and reeking of attitude, so here I give them a little of what they are giving us. :rolleyes:

ComplexNumber
August 31st, 2006, 08:00 PM
Well, it's hard to quit Windows. Microsoft was wise enough to make Windows the most popular OS for developers. Ubuntu is better than Windows in terms of architecture, but what's the use of it if developers still neglect it so far. So the guy is probably very courageous if he really decided to do it!
apparently, the number of developers for linux has recently overtaken the number of developers for windows.

PryGuy
August 31st, 2006, 08:19 PM
I hope Adobe and game developers will join them soon...:D

DoctorMO
August 31st, 2006, 08:42 PM
"The forum you requested does not exist"

huh?

atrus123
August 31st, 2006, 09:14 PM

That is true. I've read a lot of friendly "back to MS" threads, but I've read some pretty snooty threads as well.

Dan's response was a bit rude, but it's not really that exceptional.

wordsmythe
August 31st, 2006, 09:22 PM
Wish I had a login for their site. i'm guessing the one I signed up back in the last millennium wouldn't work now.

PriceChild
August 31st, 2006, 10:58 PM
Wish I had a login for their site. i'm guessing the one I signed up back in the last millennium wouldn't work now.

Worth a try, don't think you get to keep it for a couple of months exclusively, then forever or until someone else wants it.

Pricey

jperez
August 31st, 2006, 11:44 PM
Man, that was harsh. I just read it and that was so wrong. Talk about rudeness by Microsoft.

Those are the type of things that make me ashamed to still have Windows XP Home on my laptop and Windows XP Pro on my tower. I also have Win98SE on an older computer, but only so that I can use Impulse Tracker. I LOVE Impulse Tracker. I wish there was a Linux version, and I don't mean Shism Tracker.

Impulse Tracker had the BEST sound engine for tracking. I want to be able to use it on my laptop...argh.

Jesse~

PriceChild
August 31st, 2006, 11:53 PM
Those are the type of things that make me ashamed to still have Windows XP

Tell me about it... i just can't stop playing BF2 online.

I do however respect MS for their xbox and xbox LIVE service! They have done an absolutely amazing job with it. I'm extremely impressed, even if my 360 is in for repairs at the moment!

Pricey

Polygon
September 1st, 2006, 12:21 AM
usally microsoft makes good programs and good came consoles and stuff (as can be seen by the xbox and how successful it is) but the thing is they arnt doing so well in the OS department.

and i seriously laughed really hard when i tried to mark dans post as unhelpful:

This error has been logged.

ComplexNumber
September 1st, 2006, 12:28 AM

This error has been logged. its because you have NoScript extension disabled for that site. you need to temporarily allow scripts on that site. after that, it will take you to a page where you have to log in.
i tried it myself earlier.

Yossarian
September 1st, 2006, 01:08 AM
Those forums are depressing.

Anyone know what happens if you don't install the WGA? Anything bad? I want to reinstall Windows on a second HD, incase I need it for school.

PriceChild
September 1st, 2006, 01:11 AM
Those forums are depressing.

Anyone know what happens if you don't install the WGA? Anything bad? I want to reinstall Windows on a second HD, incase I need it for school.

On my dual boot i've held it up.

You can still install updates by using the "automatic updates" in your taskbar, enabled from the security center, you just can't use the actual web site.

Toxicity999
September 1st, 2006, 01:51 AM
Typical! Microsoft is like the US Government covering the tracks at every turn heh.

SoundMachine
September 1st, 2006, 02:59 AM
The guy came in ranting and complaining and ended it with a "threat" to leave Windows. He did not add anything constructive to the forum at all and the forum isn't meant to be a "please spew your heate about MS here" forum any more than the Dapper Drake part of this forum is meant to host rants and "threats" to leave Ubuntu for Windows. (and if you did, you most likely would have been banned)

How should he have responded to that? I can tell you that i would not have been so nice.

atomkarinca
September 1st, 2006, 05:45 AM
IMHO if someone posted a security issue here and if that was true, i think it would be a huge constractive addition to the forum. the threatening is what a troll does and ubuntuforums members are quite familiar with that: anatomy of a well-intentioned linux troll (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=58017).

but i don't want to judge the whole forum with one thread and this is really not something worth bothering. people should be more OPEN ;)

SoundMachine
September 1st, 2006, 06:00 AM
IMHO if someone posted a security issue here and if that was true, i think it would be a huge constractive addition to the forum. the threatening is what a troll does and ubuntuforums members are quite familiar with that: anatomy of a well-intentioned linux troll (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=58017).

but i don't want to judge the whole forum with one thread and this is really not something worth bothering. people should be more OPEN ;)

Read around on that forum a bit, there are people threatening lawsuits, faking lawyer friends and whatnot. I'm happy I'm not a mod there and so are most users on that forum. :D

I guess that day it was just one troll threads too many for that particular mod to shut up and be nice. ;)

terminatingzero
September 1st, 2006, 06:13 AM
Oh this one is good too check this out:
http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=679784&SiteID=25
:)

Luggy
September 1st, 2006, 06:20 AM
OK microsofties, I'll cut you a deal: You don't troll my forums, and I don't troll yours.
Yeah... It might seem like a lot of fun and games to poke fun at Microsoft and their forums but don't be a bunch of jackasses about it.

We are Ubuntu users, we are supposed to be better than that.... leave the trolling for the Gentoo users:p

PryGuy
September 1st, 2006, 06:57 AM
The thing is Micro$oft is too self-confident about it's Windows. I've always tried to be realistic about anything happening in the computer world. Three years ago there was no alternative to Windows, there is now.

PriceChild
September 1st, 2006, 12:30 PM
Unless i'm very mistaken, both threads have now disappeared on the official MS forums, and if all the linux users that posted haven't been banned, i'll go back to windows!

Guys remember that the name of that category was "feedback and comments"

It was NOT a tech support forum.

Pricey

P.S.

I just realised that my avatar on these forums and many others, is ripped form my avatar on a game called Halo2 on xbox LIVE - completely microsoft owned (bungie and live)

Brunellus
September 1st, 2006, 01:26 PM
The thing is Micro$oft is too self-confident about it's Windows. I've always tried to be realistic about anything happening in the computer world. Three years ago there was no alternative to Windows, there is now.
They have every reason to be confident. They dominate the market, and will continue to do so for the forseeable future. Most of their users are utterly dependent on them, their software, and their toolchain.

They can't lose.

PriceChild
September 1st, 2006, 02:42 PM
UPDATE

Both of the MS threads have been deleted, and i wouldn't be surprised if all the participants banned also.

Brunellus
September 1st, 2006, 02:51 PM
UPDATE

Both of the MS threads have been deleted, and i wouldn't be surprised if all the participants banned also.
probably the same as I'd do, if similarly-inclined Windows partisans came wading in here looking for a fight.

Again, people: It's OK that we love Ubuntu and free software. It might even be OK to loathe the alternatives. But don't go wading onto their fora and look for fights with the residents there. You might think you're an 'advocate' when you're really a troll.

Humanity to others--even windows users.

justin whitaker
September 1st, 2006, 03:22 PM

I thought telling a Windows user about Ubuntu was "humanity to others." ;)

This forum needs a rep system.

wordsmythe
September 1st, 2006, 03:31 PM
probably the same as I'd do, if similarly-inclined Windows partisans came wading in here looking for a fight.

Again, people: It's OK that we love Ubuntu and free software. It might even be OK to loathe the alternatives. But don't go wading onto their fora and look for fights with the residents there. You might think you're an 'advocate' when you're really a troll.

I think we've got a strong argument that we're a bit nicer about the "I'm going back to Windows" trolls around here. Not perfect, but if anyone in these forums were to act like that, I'm confident that someone (could be me) would quickly remind him to step back in line.

PS: Luggy, I love your avatar!

Brunellus
September 1st, 2006, 03:31 PM
I thought telling a Windows user about Ubuntu was "humanity to others." ;)

This forum needs a rep system.
In general, if there's a forum that's known to be hostile to your topic, the best rule is to stay away.

Thus, I don't hang out on Windows boards and say "Well, Ubuntu r0x0rz, and your OS isn't as good and is obviously not ready for the desktop"

Brunellus
September 1st, 2006, 03:36 PM
I think we've got a strong argument that we're a bit nicer about the "I'm going back to Windows" trolls around here. Not perfect, but if anyone in these forums were to act like that, I'm confident that someone (could be me) would quickly remind him to step back in line.

but I can't control how forum members act on other forums. I can only plead with them not to be c*cks.

SoundMachine
September 1st, 2006, 03:47 PM
Oh this one is good too check this out:
http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=679784&SiteID=25
:)

Looks like another user who has "omg optimizization"ed his system and turned off services that need to run. Of course, now that he has the solution and realize how daft he has been he will never return to that thread again.

BlackViper strikes again. :rolleyes:

SoundMachine
September 1st, 2006, 03:51 PM

Really? So if someone came in ranting and raving about how much Ubuntu sucks and saying that he was going to leave Linux for Windows then someone saying "bye" as a response would be too harsh?

I've seen worse responses to politer "going back to windows" OP's here.

wordsmythe
September 1st, 2006, 04:08 PM
Really? So if someone came in ranting and raving about how much Ubuntu sucks and saying that he was going to leave Linux for Windows then someone saying "bye" as a response would be too harsh?

I've seen worse responses to politer "going back to windows" OP's here.

I think the difference in my mind is that when one of those posts shows up here, there's 5 responses within the hour, and if any response is rude, someone always steps up quickly and tells the responder that s/he's out of line. I'm not seeing that on the Microsoft forums.

Brunellus:
You're absolutely right. Like raising kids, though, you can only be sure that they're courteous when you can see and hear them. No telling hwo foul their mouths are once they get to the playground. Just have to have some faith, I guess (misplaced or not).

SoundMachine
September 2nd, 2006, 10:52 AM
I think the difference in my mind is that when one of those posts shows up here, there's 5 responses within the hour, and if any response is rude, someone always steps up quickly and tells the responder that s/he's out of line. I'm not seeing that on the Microsoft forums.

Well, no.

The search feture is a wonderful thing.

phrostbyte
July 18th, 2007, 04:34 AM
I just posted some criticism about WGA there recently (it wasn't even attacking them) and got instantly banned and my post deleted. Microsoft is really getting lame.