PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Im Trying To Learn Python

zachsilvey
August 30th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Ok im a 14 year old just getting into linux and am learning the language python. I like the language but I want to be able to compile the bytecode into an executable. I have a little experience in c++ on the windows side and I would like to be able to compile python as easy as c++. Thanks](*,)

neilp85
August 30th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Check out py2exe, it converts python scripts into windows executables. On the linux side I don't know of any equivalent to this. It's not really necassary though so long as you put

#!/usr/bin/python
at the top of the file and place the script somewhere in your PATH.

dwblas
August 30th, 2006, 09:09 PM
#!/usr/bin/pythonAnd make it executable, otherwise you have to enter "python program_name" instead of just "program_name". (Most take this for granted, but seeing how you are just starting, you may not know it.)

neilp85
August 30th, 2006, 09:27 PM
And make it executable, otherwise you have to enter "python program_name" instead of just "program_name".

I wasn't thinking, should have mentioned that.

chmod +x helloworld.py

jpeddicord
August 31st, 2006, 03:15 AM
That is the only thing keeping me from Python: It is a runtime executable and cannot be compiled. ](*,)

skymt
August 31st, 2006, 02:10 PM
That is the only thing keeping me from Python: It is a runtime executable and cannot be compiled. ](*,)

How is that a problem? The end user can't tell the difference, unless it's a computation heavy program like a game or graphics program. Can you honestly tell me Deskbar or Alacarte is that much worse because they're written in Python?

Note360
September 1st, 2006, 02:16 AM
Hey dude I am the same age as you. Here is my tip. Just go. Learn Learn Learn. Learn vim, emacs, joe, nano. Learn Python (I suggest this first). Learn a IDE. Learn modules. Read. Write.

Schedule:
Read
Read
Read
Write
Write
Learn
Lunch
Read
Read
Write
Read
Learn
Write
Learn
Dinner
Learn
Read
Read
Write
Coffe Brake
Read/Write
(Until morning)

That is my tip.

Daverz
September 1st, 2006, 03:00 AM
Way too much reading in that list. The great thing about Python is that you can spend more time doing than reading.

loell
September 1st, 2006, 03:01 AM
compiling python to binary?

i beleive Ironpython can do that, but then you'll have to install mono ;)
someone also suggested py2bin, but i've googled and seems there is no such thing.

and i think zachsilvey is way pass reading, the thing is when learning a dynamic interpreted language like python, a learner will come to a point,
asking "Can an interpreted language be compiled" i've ask that same question before, guru would usually say, why would you want to? you'll loose portability.

moaxey
September 1st, 2006, 08:25 AM
i do a bit of python

on mac there's a cool py2app module that you can add to your system and build impressive clickable applications... including all the code you need to run it without dependencies on target systems.

havent played with py2exe on windows, but it sounds the same

they're all derived from bindist utils
which allows you to distribute binaries on linux
http://docs.python.org/dist/dist.html

but of course, you only bother with this stuff after you've got your scripts properly working and tested by running them from the command line

python myscript.py

Note360
September 1st, 2006, 12:52 PM
YOu are right. I made it up at random.

daniel of sarnia
December 22nd, 2006, 03:38 AM
Coffe Brake
Read/Write
(Until morning)

That is my tip.

What ever you do, don't get on a bad sleep cycle. Oh you'll be able to handle it at first. Maybe even a hole year. But sooner or later your heart will start hurting from the caffeine, your immune system will get so weak you'll get a virile infection and feel like your dieing for a month or so. You just end up getting messed up so bad you lose everything you gained.

Trust me I know, and it sucks, Just practices during the day, get in good work habits, sleep right, eat right, work hard and you'll come out on top in the end.

A side note, a guy at my school drank so much red bull so often, he might need heart sugary now.

But what ever, your body your mind. Some people can only learn somethings for them selfs.

EDIT: Forget to say, have fun man. I like python and C++ and I think they are a good place to get started. Good luck!

pmasiar
December 22nd, 2006, 06:48 AM
I created a web resource for beginning programmers who wants to learn python. It has copule links to online books especially good for beginner programmers, data structures, and some tasks to solve. http://learnpydia.pbwiki.com/ Enjoy.

gpolo
December 22nd, 2006, 11:55 AM
python comes with a tool called freeze, here it is located at /usr/share/doc/python2.4/examples/Tools/freeze, that is for Linux mainly. For Windows use py2exe, it works better than freeze in some tests I have done. I did a project and used py2exe to sell the binary, and worked very well ;)

gh0st
December 22nd, 2006, 05:19 PM
I am learning Python myself at the moment and I found this book really helpful

http://diveintopython.org/

You can download the eBook as PDF or HTML for free from that site. It doesn't give you all the usual beginner rubbish like "What Is A Programming Language?" :) Just the stuff you need to get started in Python.

Very handy if you have a bit of programming knowledge already (you mentioned C++) and just want to transfer your skills to another language.

Hope that's of some use but it sounds like you know quite a bit already.