PDA

View Full Version : Flash 9 Dev would like a little love

rmjb
August 30th, 2006, 01:12 PM
In a recent interview the head Flash 9 for Linux developer said he gets a lot of negative feedback on his blog about the progress of Flash 9:

Feedback from the community has been both positive and negative. In the beginning there was a bit of misinterpretation and negative feedback about my blog and the Linux Flash Player project. But, I realize it's inappropriate to judge the overall attention based on the reader feedback on Penguin.SWF.

I imagine (or rather hope) there is a large base of Linux users patiently following the blog, understanding that this development takes time, and that it's fortunate that Adobe is treating Linux as a first-class operating system in supporting the Flash platform.

So how bout we show him some love. If you are one of the people waiting patiently for the Flash 9 release and looking forward to it, post a comment in his blog post about this interview: http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2006/08/major_player.html

Let's show him he IS appreciated.

- rmjb

PryGuy
August 30th, 2006, 01:28 PM
It is all about the Flash Player 9? I want Adobe (Macromedia) Studio to be ported on Linux so we could develop flash movies under Linux not just watch it!:D

DoctorMO
August 30th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Will it be open source?

We could do with fixing Firefox so when it incounters missing plugins it doesn't go to the sujjested site but uses apt-get in some way.

atrus123
August 30th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Will it be open source?

This is Adobe we're talking about here. They are more likely to give a copy of Photoshop to everyone in China than open any of their source.

Brunellus
August 30th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Adobe is treating Linux as a first-class operating system in supporting the Flash platform.

That's a polite way of saying "You're lucky you have flash support AT ALL you ungrateful commie bastards. STFU."

curuxz
August 30th, 2006, 03:36 PM
If they think its such a first class OS then why are none of their programs on linux and why is flash player always much futher along in windows than in linux, if your going to treat us like s**t at least have the balls to say so.

paul cooke
August 30th, 2006, 03:39 PM
This is Adobe we're talking about here. They are more likely to give a copy of Photoshop to everyone in China than open any of their source.

correct... Even Disney and several other hollywood studios couldn't get photoshop ported to Linux... instead, Disney and those other studios clubbed together and got WINE improved so that photoshop could run on it...

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1210083,00.asp

Last year, when the Walt Disney Co.'s feature animation unit, in Burbank, Calif., announced that it was using Linux for digital animation work, speculation grew that Adobe Systems Inc. would finally port its products to Linux. To this day, however, Adobe has done no such thing. Rather than wait, Disney, along with two other motion picture animation studios (which declined to be named for this article), decided to jointly fund the development of a Windows-to-Linux porting solution. The idea: develop technology using the Wine emulator to run Adobe Photoshop on Linux.

read the rest of it folks... it happened ages ago, but it still applies today.

[big self snippage... I got into rant mode... then decided to cut it...]

rmjb
August 30th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Adobe is treating Linux as a first-class operating system in supporting the Flash platform.That's a polite way of saying "You're lucky you have flash support AT ALL you ungrateful commie bastards. STFU."

This thread seemed to have touched a nerve, I'm almost sorry I started it.
The way I see it Adobe is pig headed, yes; they want a wider paying user base in linux before bringing stuff over and it's getting there slowly. I mean, they aren't doing any Flash for FreeBSD are they?

Anyhow, this post is about giving this one dev some love, not Adobe, if you don't like em, fine, but some people get encouragement from... encouragement so a little love is all I was asking.

- rmjb

EdThaSlayer
August 30th, 2006, 04:22 PM
"treating Linux as a first-class operating system in supporting the Flash platform"

Then why do they only have one guy working at the linux section??While thousands are working at the windows section??(iam just showing the comparison)

I hope that when Flash 9 does come out...it will be really and very stable...

rmjb
August 30th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Then why do they only have one guy working at the linux section??

These statements just spread FUD. The Flash Dev never said he was the only guy working on it and he has referred to members of his team in his blog postings AND in the interview mentioned.

- rmjb

DoctorMO
August 30th, 2006, 04:33 PM
I'll continue to support the GPL flash player, because at least that can be distrobuted (once patents run out in the USA) and compiled for many platforms including mobile phones. (unlike adobes version)

Brunellus
August 30th, 2006, 04:46 PM
This thread seemed to have touched a nerve, I'm almost sorry I started it.
The way I see it Adobe is pig headed, yes; they want a wider paying user base in linux before bringing stuff over and it's getting there slowly. I mean, they aren't doing any Flash for FreeBSD are they?

Anyhow, this post is about giving this one dev some love, not Adobe, if you don't like em, fine, but some people get encouragement from... encouragement so a little love is all I was asking.

- rmjb
Users can't judge intentions--we judge results. Windows has a Flash 9 player. Apple OSX has a Flash 9 player. Linux has a ....oh yeah. a Flash 7 player.

What's "first class" there? I don't really care that Adobe doesn't think that Linux isn't a significant or important platform. But I'd rather that they went out and said honestly: We are focusing platforms X and Y. We will support, in a much lesser capacity, platform Z. We will NOT support platforms A, B, or C.

Instead, Adobe sends its marketroids out to pump out fine words about how Linux is a serious platform. But in the COMPLETE ABSENCE of any concrete evidence to the contrary, Linux users will see through the exercise as nothing more than PR dancing awfully close to lying.

I'm not saying I'd throw blood all over this developer, or slash his tires, or throw bricks through his windows. Heck, if I met him in person, I'm sure he's a really nice guy, probably with a family to feed. He's got to make a living, same as the rest of us. But that doesn't mean I can't deplore his masters' actions and his words.

rmjb
August 30th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Just what I said, give the guy some support regardless of his company.

- rmjb

EdThaSlayer
August 30th, 2006, 05:08 PM
These statements just spread FUD. The Flash Dev never said he was the only guy working on it and he has referred to members of his team in his blog postings AND in the interview mentioned.

- rmjb

My mistake ](*,)
but thats what i heard (lots of misinformation going around and such...)

Brunellus
August 30th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Just what I said, give the guy some support regardless of his company.

- rmjb
I'm not writing him any love letters until I see another flashplayer. Until then, I'm going to have to make do with what I have and hope that GNASH gets going.

kegie
August 30th, 2006, 05:36 PM
I would much rather spend my energy on getting a working open source flash player than another adobe player that most likely will be filled with bugs and not play well with the rest of the OS. It is obvious (not only from how they've handled flash on linux in the past, but in general) from adobe's actions that they view linux as nothing but a threat, and won't do anything more than the bare minimum for those who use it.

I don't see any reason to start sucking up to them just because they *might* release a flash 9 player. Oo, youtube, awesome. I can live without it for a while longer.

Sorry if this comes off as all negative, but honestly, I prefer to rely on open source as much as possible instead of switching from being dependent on one corporation with nothing but profit in mind to another.

So, instead of sending mails to the adobe dude telling him how great he is, please send them to the gnash people instead. That's my two cents at least..

Kalinda
August 30th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I'll continue to support the GPL flash player, because at least that can be distrobuted (once patents run out in the USA) and compiled for many platforms including mobile phones. (unlike adobes version)
GPL Flash player? Has it got a Firefox plugin?

Anyway, yeah, Adobe isn't being overly co-operative with us, so I've had to resort to using my Photoshop 7 on WINE, where it crashes often but still works pretty well.

It's nice they've set up a blog, though, and that this one developer is working on it and they seem close to finishing it. Flash has become very important on the internet and I'd hate to be without it.

I'm glad some other companies are being more co-operative with Linux, though.

TravisNewman
August 30th, 2006, 09:01 PM
First class OS? If they believed that, we would have already had Flash player 9

Brunellus
August 30th, 2006, 09:03 PM
First class OS? If they believed that, we would have already had Flash player 9
for Adobe, Linux is a first-class seat on a cancelled flight.

DoctorMO
August 30th, 2006, 10:01 PM
It's such a shame that Adobe has stalled SVG standards development, (the only effective alternative to flash on the web) since they bought Macromedia (which developed Flash don't forget)

I think Adobe is more likly to see the bigger picture than Macromedia was which is why linux is getting a bit more dev time.

The polotics goes like this: If we don't develop a linux plugin; some linux devs will do it for us but their code will be open source and running on every platform with in a few years; margenalising the flash format liecencing revenue.

cinical moi?

Polygon
August 31st, 2006, 12:08 AM
where is this open source flash player, and how well does it work? i would like to try it.

and like the popular consensenus, i wont be praising adobe for creating flash 9 until it actually comes out and works fairly well

John.Michael.Kane
August 31st, 2006, 12:35 AM
Polygon http://ubuntu.moshen.de/dists/dapper/flash/ this is for gnash