PDA

View Full Version : Simple Bash problem

Roque
August 30th, 2006, 02:32 AM
Hello.

I wrote a small Bash script that downloads a file from a given place and saves it under certain folder. Currently a new downloaded file overwrites the older (because both have the same name); instead I want files to be named incrementally in order to keep a record, eg:
file_1.xml
file_2.xml
file_3.xml

I cannot use an internal counter variable because the script could be run several times a day. It should find the largest numbered file under the folder, (eg. file_345.xml) and increment that number to create a new file name (eg. file_346.xml)

How can I do this in Bash? Thanks in advance.

nagilum
August 30th, 2006, 08:45 AM
A simple loop will do the trick, something like this:

cnt=1
while [ -f "file_${cnt}.xml" ]; do
cnt=$(($cnt+1))
done

When the loop is finished $cnt contains the next unused number in your filename pattern, e.g. 4 in your example. Note that a "gap" in your file numbers will yield this gap and not the highest number + 1.

yaaarrrgg
August 30th, 2006, 04:22 PM
also, you might count the matching files, perhaps like:

#backticks execute a shell command, pipe ls output into wc
cnt=`ls file_*.xml | wc -l`

Roque
September 1st, 2006, 03:44 PM
Ok, problem solved. Thanks!

ifokkema
September 1st, 2006, 04:53 PM
Both these suggestions fail, as mentioned, if there's a gap in the file sequence. What about running ls, sorting on modification time, taking the top hit and using grep to fetch the number...?

JonahRowley
September 2nd, 2006, 09:44 AM
You could do it like this:

$ ls
file_1.xml file_2.xml file_3.xml file_7.xml max_num.sh

$ cat max_num.sh
#!/bin/bash

max=0
for f in file_*.xml; do
t=${f##*_}
t=${t%%.*}
if [ $t > $max ]; then max="$t"; fi
done
(( max += 1 ))

echo "file_$max.xml"

$ ./max_num.sh
file_8.xml

Handles gaps and stuff. Doesn't rely on sorting which, with unpadded strings, might not be correct.

ifokkema
September 2nd, 2006, 01:28 PM
Cool. I've seen you spit out code in 7 languages or so in some other thread to solve a problem. You really know your languages. Did you specifically try to learn as many different languages as possible, or are you just programming for so long that you happen to run in to these languages after time because of all the different project that you did?

JonahRowley
September 3rd, 2006, 12:10 AM
Cool. I've seen you spit out code in 7 languages or so in some other thread to solve a problem. You really know your languages. Did you specifically try to learn as many different languages as possible, or are you just programming for so long that you happen to run in to these languages after time because of all the different project that you did?

I've been coding since before I could read (no, really, I would copy the programs out of my Commodore 64 instruction booklet and change them around), so I can pick up languages very quickly. I like learning new ones to see what they're really like, and not what people say they're like, so I have at least a working knowledge of most the popular languages around.

A few years ago, I picked up this rather obscure language from Japan. I was going to learn smalltalk, but I learned this newer, supposedly better language called Ruby. Then Rails came along and my favorite language is now very useful, and tons of cool code is being written in it every day :P