PDA

View Full Version : F-Spot vs Digikam, which one you prefer and why?

Castar
August 30th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Just a quick comparison. I like digikam more, it seems more feature-packed.

ComplexNumber
August 30th, 2006, 01:31 AM
what type of application are you referring to? i mean, i'm familiar with all those applications, but what category are you classifying them under so that people can say which they think is the best in that category. in other words: the coolest what?

fuscia
August 30th, 2006, 03:39 AM
i hate all three. all annoy me.

Skia_42
August 30th, 2006, 05:12 AM
i hate all three. all annoy me.
Out of curiosity, what do you use for image storing/viewing? I started of with iPhoto when I used Apple's OSX but now I use Digicam. It gets the job and done and the interface feels fine to me so I have nothing to complain about.

Castar
August 30th, 2006, 08:25 AM
what type of application are you referring to? i mean, i'm familiar with all those applications, but what category are you classifying them under so that people can say which they think is the best in that category. in other words: the coolest what?

I was trying to give a funny note to the question. I mean, which one someone uses and for what: ease of use, features, extra effect/processing capabilities and so on.

fuscia
August 30th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Out of curiosity, what do you use for image storing/viewing? I started of with iPhoto when I used Apple's OSX but now I use Digicam. It gets the job and done and the interface feels fine to me so I have nothing to complain about.

i just put them all in a folder in my home directory and use either gqview or gwenview to look at them. any editing i want to do, i do in gimp.

Corbelius
August 30th, 2006, 01:05 PM
gThumb for view and import from camera, Gimp for editing.

bruce89
August 30th, 2006, 01:13 PM
I don't get the import idea in F-Spot, it is very stupid. It should be able to monitor a folder for changes. Other than that, it is quite nice.

hizaguchi
August 30th, 2006, 01:24 PM
F-spot. I've got several thousand pics, all tagged according to who is in them. It would be a nightmare to sift through all that in the file browser. I'd have to give each pic a long, descriptive name that includes everything in it that I'd ever want to look up again. Tags are the way to go.

DigiKam is nice too, but it's just got way too much going on for an image viewer. I like that stereotypical KDE approach for some things, but I don't need an interface more confusing than Blender just to view some pictures. :)

ComplexNumber
August 30th, 2006, 01:53 PM
i like the modular approach. when i just need to view one image, i now use eye of gnome because its the fastest and most lightweight of the lot. if i need to see a gallery of images, then i will use either gqview or gthumb.

graabein
August 30th, 2006, 02:03 PM
I import with gThumb and do photo album work with Picasa.

I hate the Windows font in Picasa and the windows explorer program that sometimes start up. Also I can't understand the folder hierarchy it's got going but I guess it's just bad habits carried over from Windows.

Hopefully F-Spot will evolve into the best program much like I have high hopes for Banshee. They both look really good.

Maybe Picasa will improve if Google makes an open source native Linux version but I don't expect that anytime soon.

Anyhow, Dapper recognizes my camera and I can import and edit to my heart's desire. All is well.

drarmi
August 30th, 2006, 03:08 PM
F-Spot is nice ...

I would want a file/folder browser to be implemented into it!!!!!

My hope is that F-Spot, Banshee and Bonfire will be default applications in ubuntu. Thay all rock and the development is moving compared to other Gnome applications.

Most Gnome apps are still left in the stone age ..

GarethMB
August 30th, 2006, 05:17 PM
I've got digikam installed. Because: A its a KDE app, B because I used it to get some pictures off a camera. But I'd prefer to look at photo's in Konqueror.

Rashid584
December 29th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Out of the above iv only tried digiKam and F-Spot. F-Spot felt more intuitive and was a greater pleasure to use.

Thats from a hard core KDE user ;)

KDE apps beat every other Gnome app at...everything :D

Anyway i dont have that many pictures and dont need to view them that much...I use konqueror to browse them (thumbnails) and preview in konqueror or gwenview to view. Edit in Krita (or gimp depending on what I want to do/what modd im in. Krita is actually very very powerful...as powerful as GIMP in someways im just slightly more familiar with GIMP)

-Rashid

kuja
December 29th, 2006, 03:15 AM
I use digikam. It's pretty decent for tagging/organizing and the like, but IMO it's not a very good viewer, that's where Gwenview comes in. Between the digikamplugins and the kipi-plugins package you can really pack a lot of functionality into those two apps.

Gargamella
December 29th, 2006, 12:35 PM
There's a thing I hate in F-spot...it copies all your photo and picture in a folder

so you have all the picture on your pc doubled.

Rashid584
December 29th, 2006, 06:00 PM
digikam does that too. thats really annoying for me...theres absolutely NO REASON to do that that i can think of. its just dumb

-Rashid

ComplexNumber
December 29th, 2006, 06:07 PM
i don't use either. gthumb suits my purposes perfectly.