PDA

View Full Version : Cutting down on unanswered threads

Nis
April 8th, 2005, 05:30 AM
At the time of this writing there are 500 unanswered threads. Now, not all of these are questions seeking an answer but most are. I propose that we as a community try to answer as many of these unanswered threads as possible so we don't end up like LinuxQuestions.org with its thousands of unanswered threads that date back years. If everyone responds to at least one of these threads a day, even if only to say that the thread has been read and considered, then the number of unanswered threads will drop and remain very low.

I admit that some of the problems in these threads are unclear or have been addressed before; but even a response asking for clarification or a link to a thread that answers the problem is better than no response at all. We don't want to put new users off and make them feel that no one listens to their problems. The Ubuntu community is supposed to be one of Ubuntu's strengths, and we want to make sure it stays that way.

I propose this because with the imminent release of Hoary the number of these unanswered threads is only going to increase. New users are going to arrive asking the same questions others already have asked. We should point them toward the answer and remind them that the search tool is a great friend and first resort. If we foster that behavior early it will help everyone.

So I'll end this with this question. Have you answered a thread today? :)

KiwiNZ
April 8th, 2005, 05:42 AM
Yep a few .

Good point we dont want this to become a black hole forum.

Answer a thread a day
to keep the doctor away

kiddo
April 8th, 2005, 05:42 AM
Hey, I just thought I might congratulate you for posting this thread, even if I unconsciously started doing it (see my signature :)), I guess I'll be popping more often that button (especially now that I like the forum's design better ;)). I usually give some hints on the irc channel too, when I see something I can answer to and remove some weight off the mods' shoulders ;) so, for those who haven't tried yet, there's #ubuntu (on freenode) where you can help new users! But I guess the forums are a bit more important, since content is "solid" (meaning it can be searched later).

Finally, I wanted to tell the modos that putting that "you know there's a search function right?" message on top was a nice touch (even if that makes more advanced users smile ;))
Edit: shouldn't there be a question mark in that sentence, by the way? ^^

kassetra
April 8th, 2005, 05:47 AM
when I see something I can answer to and remove some weight off the mods' shoulders ;)
Finally, I wanted to tell the modos that putting that "you know there's a search function right?" message on top was a nice touch (even if that makes more advanced users smile ;))

Let me tell ya, we appreciate the help! :)

bvc
April 8th, 2005, 06:15 AM
On another distro forum where I was a Mod for 2 years and had 7694 post before retiring what was *generally* experience was that the unanswered post were either
1. impossible to answer, as is, so a request for a better explaination/more info was asked for and not given.
2. Even devel could not help

I always thought these post after, oh....say 6 months should be deleted, but that takes time and a lot of it, which means someone has to be willing to do it. Hard to find. Someone that only comes to a forum to help, wants to help someone with an actual problem, not clean up.

Thanks to all that help others!!!
-bvc

Jad
April 8th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Answer a thread a day
to keep the doctor away
very good idea, I'm in.

MaZiNgA
April 8th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Great idea! I'm in too!

p!=f
April 8th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Diving in... :)

lao_V
April 8th, 2005, 11:04 AM
I've been trying to answer as many in the past week or two since the link was put up there but it would seem that the damn number is not moving from 500 at all..Maybe if we all try it then we should see some results :-)

poofyhairguy
April 8th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Lots of the questions are over my head. Some aren't answerable. Some is about
hardware that I've never seen. The rest I answer.

defkewl
April 8th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Yup I tried to answer questions eventhough I don't know much. Nice thread.

gw90se
April 8th, 2005, 12:48 PM
I agree. After all, it was the general responses and willingness to nelp that factored greatly into my decision to try Ubuntu, when I was ready to go to Linux. I would hate to see that major advantage in thos distro be lost.

Nis
April 8th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Lots of the questions are over my head. Some aren't answerable. Some is about
hardware that I've never seen. The rest I answer.
Even questions that might be about hardware that only the poster has should be answered if no one else has in a long time (say over a month). Something small like "It looks like no one really knows about your hardware and the problem you're having with it. We do notice that you are having a problem though. Is there any more information you could provide?" Even if this doesn't help the poster solve the problem it at least acknowledges that they exist. Sometimes something small like that is better than nothing.

raublekick
April 8th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Perhaps one way we can help is to build a little reservoir of alternate help forums. Of course, this forum should be the main place to go for Ubuntu users, but there are some pretty general linux questions that might not be a problem just for Ubuntu.

So, if a person asks a question that you don't even know how to answer, at the very least a link to linuxforums or linuxquestions, or even a google search might be a small help. Searching those sites could yield better results for them. But then they should post their solution here if they find one :-D

I remember when I first got into linux it was amazing (and almost hindering) how many help sites there were, and how many answers to the same question there are.

Jad
April 8th, 2005, 01:00 PM
it seems their are using mysql query cache or something else...
still showing the result as 500 un-answered threads, and there is some in the list have replies.

lao_V
April 8th, 2005, 01:02 PM
I was thinking the same as there are a number of them which have 1 or more replies.

dcraven
April 8th, 2005, 01:59 PM
It would be nice if, during posting/replying, there was a dropdown list of URLs to the most faq's. Then I wouldn't have to search on the OP's behalf for that same thread yet again that the 20 people before him started a new thread to ask about. Even if selecting that thread from the list simply pasted the URL into the edit box.

I know this is a silly idea... So now I think I might start keeping a database of useful specific links. Unfortunately a URL to a list of useful and on topic links is of no use to a new user, so I'll have to search my index for them. Since I answered their first question so quickly, they'll see no reason to search on their own for the next question so I'll need to keep this list handy. I wonder what the most efficient way to do this is.

Cheers,
~djc

bored2k
April 8th, 2005, 02:05 PM
It would be nice if, during posting/replying, there was a dropdown list of URLs to the most faq's. Then I wouldn't have to search on the OP's behalf for that same thread yet again that the 20 people before him started a new thread to ask about. Even if selecting that thread from the list simply pasted the URL into the edit box.

I know this is a silly idea... So now I think I might start keeping a database of useful specific links. Unfortunately a URL to a list of useful and on topic links is of no use to a new user, so I'll have to search my index for them. Since I answered their first question so quickly, they'll see no reason to search on their own for the next question so I'll need to keep this list handy. I wonder what the most efficient way to do this is.

Cheers,
~djc
That idea.. complicated. You have to remember that it's not your fault that people don't search nor go to the Tips and tricks section before posting. If you can see it, they can also, thus they have the same power as you do browse away. Not doing it is excess lazyness in my books.

Your second idea.. I keep a list of links and bookmarks. It's easy, and I'm even thinking of some having pre-written text of mine, saving me quite some time.

dataw0lf
April 8th, 2005, 02:44 PM
That idea.. complicated. You have to remember that it's not your fault that people don't search nor go to the Tips and tricks section before posting. If you can see it, they can also, thus they have the same power as you do browse away. Not doing it is excess lazyness in my books.

AGREED. C'mon people, it's a crying shame if you're not using the Wiki, the HOW-TOs, or Google to their full extent. I certainly don't mind helping people out, but you can't be held by the hand while you're operating a computer all the time. I told my girlfriend I didn't want kids for a long time for a reason.

</BOFH rant>

<3 <3 <3

lao_V
April 8th, 2005, 02:51 PM
And I believe it takes less time to search for a common solution then finding the right section and posting a question!

orion_114
April 8th, 2005, 02:55 PM
I agree we should all chip in and do something about it.
I think it would also help if people gave slightly more descriptive titles sometimes. I often overlook some threads that have titles that dont make sence to me.
I have answered 5 today. Not much, but its better than doing work!!

p!=f
April 8th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Maybe you remember times when you were thankful for any suggestions to your computer trouble. Even if you were RTFMed out of a topic feeling like ashamed primitive lifeform you got the feeling it can be solved by looking at the documentation which is not that common in Windows world.
My point is that not every user who got a tip from his friend to give Linux a try may know there're actually some manual pages, documentation packages, ubuntulinux.org/wiki with troubleshooting and FAQ sections where the answer lurks. :) Or she should bother with something which is sufficient to plug-in on Windows. Or she just don't speak so well English to enter correct search key words. :)
I think any reply (even "I can't help") is better than none.

kahping
April 8th, 2005, 03:12 PM
i try to answer as much as i can, though it's pretty hard sometimes since i'm not that far from a Linux newbie myself :-P

kahping

orion_114
April 8th, 2005, 03:22 PM
I think that is very true !! Any response is way better than none at all!

TravisNewman
April 8th, 2005, 03:37 PM
The script to bring up the unanswered threads uses a search function. The forums search maxes out at 500 threads..... so... there could be 5,000,000 unanswered threads and you'd only see 500. So, first goal is to get that number BELOW 500. If that's even possible. ;)

TravisNewman
April 8th, 2005, 03:38 PM
I think that is very true !! Any response is way better than none at all!
unless... someone who goes to the unanswered threads to help people doesn't see those threads that have one reply, which is "sorry I can't help." Then that thread may go back into obscurity and never be seen again.

lao_V
April 8th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Can the script be modified to say "Results returned: X - Showing only Top 500"?

dcraven
April 8th, 2005, 03:49 PM

Yeah. I wasn't actually suggesting that it get implemented. However, I agree with you about the lazyness part. That being said, it still happens that people don't search, and solving the unanswered post problem is the topic of this thread. It's inevidable that the same question gets asked by new users repeatedly. I'm just trying to think of ways that this problem be less of a time sink for those who want to solve the problem and who DO look at the available options such as "Search" and "FAQ" on the website.

I've started a database of text snippets that say "Please see (link)." that I can paste in replies.

Cheers,
~djc

p!=f
April 8th, 2005, 03:53 PM
So, first goal is to get that number BELOW 500. If that's even possible. ;)
Perhaps some automated mechanism with random answers could be good to deploy. :)

tkiesel
April 8th, 2005, 04:12 PM
The script to bring up the unanswered threads uses a search function. The forums search maxes out at 500 threads..... so... there could be 5,000,000 unanswered threads and you'd only see 500. So, first goal is to get that number BELOW 500. If that's even possible. ;)

I agree, but we all have to know that during the period that we're trying to lower that number, a significant number of old posts are going to get churned to the surface of every forum section where questions are commonly asked. The spread of "new posts" topics will stretch across at least two pages for a decent length of time while we're making this effort.

Not a problem for me, I'm actually excited to start helping out with this, though, at two months of Ubuntu and GNU/Linux use, I'm still rather green, but I wanted to note that that will be a very visible effect of the effort.

As well as keeping the community feeling friendly, this will serve to expand the knowledge base presented by the Search function. I have found solutions for issues by using the search, going to a relevant looking post, and then bouncing through links between posts till I hit the proverbial jackpot. No link to 'the answer' is ever wasted.

UbuWu
April 8th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Found one of my own posts at 476 or so this morning :p
Now I think it is already at 450... it might even get answered in the end :wink:

raublekick
April 8th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Maybe you remember times when you were thankful for any suggestions to your computer trouble. Even if you were RTFMed out of a topic feeling like ashamed primitive lifeform you got the feeling it can be solved by looking at the documentation which is not that common in Windows world.
My point is that not every user who got a tip from his friend to give Linux a try may know there're actually some manual pages, documentation packages, ubuntulinux.org/wiki with troubleshooting and FAQ sections where the answer lurks. :) Or she should bother with something which is sufficient to plug-in on Windows. Or she just don't speak so well English to enter correct search key words. :)

that is very important to remember. most "average" PC users (know what Windows and MS Office are, can use a computer for basic functionality) wouldn't know what a wiki is, and probably wouldn't know how to use a webforum, let alone the proper ettiquette. remember, for someone who is an "average" PC user the linux world is pretty scary. they aren't going to want to just try things to see if they'll work, they want to know a certain, tried-and-true, guaranteed to work solution. of course, we can't always offer a perfect solution, but just remember how a linux newbie thinks.

tkiesel
April 8th, 2005, 04:37 PM
It looks like the unanswered posts are sorted by date. There are 209 during the month of April so far. Depending on how far back in time threads are kept, getting the number below 500 could be quite an endeavor indeed. ;)

I think the community is up to it, but how to balance the effort against the perceived rudeness of bumping extra old posts?

Would a more feasible goal be to make a concerted effort to end the unanswered post syndrom at April, draw our version of Travis' line in the sand and try to make sure it doesn't come back?

TravisNewman
April 8th, 2005, 06:49 PM
come to think of it, I don't think that it's wise to do what I suggested. Problems from before March at the earliest MAY be obsolete by now. So my new idea for a goal-- no unanswered posts after March 1st (out of the ones already existing). Even if it's just a link to the solution (which is sometimes the best way to answer anyway) or a nudge toward the right direction, or a place where they might find better help, lets get them all out of the way ;)

And how'd you know my name?