PDA

View Full Version : Launching applications in seperate threads

rupy
August 29th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Hi Guys,

It is possible to launch applications seperately, and indpendantly from the shell that you run them in.

EG: when I run something from shell it attaches that to the shell - if I close the shell the application closes as well, I want it to be entirely seperate.

Anonii
August 29th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Hi Guys,

It is possible to launch applications seperately, and indpendantly from the shell that you run them in.

EG: when I run something from shell it attaches that to the shell - if I close the shell the application closes as well, I want it to be entirely seperate.

Ctrl + z, will bring the application to the background.
Then by using the command "bg" you can check which tasks are on the background, and by "fg" and the task number you will bring them back to the foreground and you will be able to use them.

But from what I remember you cant use the application while its on the background, but I think it will continue to run its task. For example a torrent client ,will continue downloading while in the bg, but you wont be able to change settings etc, till you bring it to the foreground. I dont know a method, unfortunately, to control the bg applications.

kwalo
August 29th, 2006, 03:33 PM
EG: when I run something from shell it attaches that to the shell - if I close the shell the application closes as well, I want it to be entirely seperate.Have you tested nohup(1) ?

peabody
August 29th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Hi Guys,

Yes, it's called daemonizing a process. It involves forking once, closing stdin, stderr, and stdout, and forking again. I think there's just a little bit more to it than that, but I'm sure google will get you a good example quickly if you type in "unix daemonizing examples".

rupy
August 29th, 2006, 09:39 PM
The ctrl+z method doesnt really work, cos as soon as you do that it just moves "focus" off the process and freezes it - not to mention its still attached to the console.

nohup doesnt seem to do much - still attached to the console.

daemonizing a process sounds very complicated - there must be a simpler way to do it? How does the "run command" work under the kde menu?

csy
August 29th, 2006, 10:10 PM
man screen

peabody
August 29th, 2006, 10:11 PM
nohup doesnt seem to do much - still attached to the console.

did you try actually closing the console and checking? nohup does catch the hangup signal effectively daemonizing a process. I've used it countless times.

daemonizing a process sounds very complicated - there must be a simpler way to do it? How does the "run command" work under the kde menu?

Since this is the programming forum I assumed you were interested in how to program it, but it sounds like you're simply intrested in how to do it from a user interface standpoint, in which case nohup is your friend. It's always worked for me. As for kde I really don't know, although anything you launch in KDE is essentially attached to the session I believe (it will die when you log out) so it may not do anything differently than how you're doing it from a terminal.

christhemonkey
August 29th, 2006, 10:14 PM
You do know that if you run a command from a terminal,

and then suffix it with an &
it will run independant of the terminal?

e.g.:

nautilus &

peabody
August 30th, 2006, 12:48 AM
You do know that if you run a command from a terminal,

and then suffix it with an &
it will run independant of the terminal?

e.g.:

nautilus &

This doesn't run it independant of the terminal, it runs the process in the background. Whether it stays up after closing the terminal depends on how the process handles hangups.

tomchuk
August 30th, 2006, 01:30 AM
nohup nuatilus &