PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] there is no ~/.xsession file - what selects the DE to run?

Skaperen
June 10th, 2021, 01:18 AM
there is no ~/.xsession file - what selects the DE to run? i have a script that back traces process parentage/ancestry but it goes from terminal to init (PID 1). so everything was backgrounded and i can't see what started what without stracing everything opendm does.

halogen2
June 10th, 2021, 04:01 AM
The display manager. You choose it in the display manager greeter before you log in. For Xubuntu at least some of the options are stored in /usr/share/xsessions/ I don't know if that's the only place though.

Skaperen
June 10th, 2021, 06:31 PM
what chooses to start Xfce in Xubuntu ... or ... what designates that the user is an Xubuntu/Xfxe (or whatever DM) user? is it something in lightdm?

what i want to do is run some additional code (in a Python script or an ELF binary ... that i could build statically linked if necessary, so PATH is not needed, yet) for every user at login time. running this AS that user with no privilege to become root is OK. but needs to, at least, know which user (it will switch real and effective user to be that user, if it is root). this code is intended to do some cleanup before anything (else) starts.

GhX6GZMB
June 10th, 2021, 08:33 PM
I run Lubuntu myself with SDDM as display manager, but I imagine the setups are pretty much alike.

The items for the environment choices during login are in /usr/share/xsessions

As far as I can tell, the default or last chosen environment is defined in etc/sddm.conf, in your case probably /etc/lightdm.conf or /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LightDM

halogen2
June 10th, 2021, 08:38 PM
what chooses to start Xfce in Xubuntu ... or ... what designates that the user is an Xubuntu/Xfxe (or whatever DM) user? is it something in lightdm?

Yes. I wonder if that is stored in /var/cache/lightdm ?

what i want to do is run some additional code (in a Python script or an ELF binary ... that i could build statically linked if necessary, so PATH is not needed, yet) for every user at login time.

Can you try editing the file in /usr/share/xsessions (or copying one and creating a new one) to somehow run your Python script before running the existing user session command?

deadflowr
June 10th, 2021, 09:02 PM
User info like Xsession the user has set is stored in /var/lib/AccountsService/users/Username.

GhX6GZMB
June 10th, 2021, 09:15 PM
That one's empty on my machine.

Skaperen
June 13th, 2021, 02:47 AM
if something(s) hold what DE the user has chosen then i need the map of DE to /what/to/run. either i fudge the map or stub the files to run. i need my script to run ASAP after user credentials are authenticated for a login. i will need to know or find out which DE the user is expecting (iff they chose a different one at login then i need to know or find out what that is).

halogen2
June 13th, 2021, 03:11 AM
If I were doing this I would edit (or better, if possible, copy somewhere it would override the original and edit the copy) the /usr/share/xsessions/*.desktop files to point to a wrapper script that calls your script with the DE name as an argument, and after your script is done exec the command that was originally in said .desktop file. I'd have your script keep its own track of what DEs the user logs into.

Unless you also need this for non-GUI/tty sessions?

dddman
June 13th, 2021, 04:17 AM
An xprofile file, ~/.xprofile and /etc/xprofile, allows you to execute commands at the beginning of the X user session - before the window manager is started.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xprofile

sounds like what your looking for

Skaperen
June 14th, 2021, 01:04 AM
If I were doing this I would edit (or better, if possible, copy somewhere it would override the original and edit the copy) the /usr/share/xsessions/*.desktop files to point to a wrapper script that calls your script with the DE name as an argument, and after your script is done exec the command that was originally in said .desktop file. I'd have your script keep its own track of what DEs the user logs into.

how does one execute a .desktop file from a script? is executing what the Exec= line has good enough?

Unless you also need this for non-GUI/tty sessions?

no.

Skaperen
June 14th, 2021, 01:13 AM
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xprofile

sounds like what your looking for

i cannot determine from that page if my script would be run in place of some other script. if so, that would probably make it necessary to add stuff to my script, such as actually running the DE. if so, how to run it? in the background? use exec (or its python equivalent) to replace my process? retain certain environment variables?

halogen2
June 14th, 2021, 06:08 PM
how does one execute a .desktop file from a script? is executing what the Exec= line has good enough?

What I had in mind was the reverse: have the .desktop file execute a wrapper script that calls your script. Then yes, have the wrapper script execute what the Exec= line has.

probably make it necessary to add stuff to my script, such as actually running the DE. if so, how to run it? ... use exec (or its python equivalent) to replace my process?

This, I think.

If you try my implementation idea, it wouldn't necessarily be your main script though, you could write the wrapper script in bash and just use exec from there after your main script exits.