PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't disable secure boot

brooksmm
June 8th, 2021, 07:07 PM
I can not boot linux as I can not disable the secure boot. This is a computer I had been trying to dual boot, but now we have removed the one drive with win7 so that there is only a drive with linux, and the native hard drive that is inaccessible/locked

It seems like I'm getting closer to being able to boot up linux, but the remaining problem is that I can no longer disable secure boot. The option is there but it cannot be selected or changed. In addition, I have already set an administrator password (there is no supervisor option) and it is still impossible.

I'm still pretty new to all of this lol

update: the two options my prof and I are now leaning towards are 1) wiping this comp and just updating widows and running linux through a windows subshell, or building a new computer since this is the oldest work station in the lab anyway. So the problem wasn't fixed, per se, but based on how each time I fixed a problem to do with dual booting another problem popped up that took me a bunch of time and sanity to solve I'm thinking that continuing to work on this is no longer worth the time in comparison to other possible solutions, rip

oldfred
June 8th, 2021, 07:44 PM
What brand/model system?
Do you have most current UEFI/BIOS from vendor?

Ubuntu can install with UEFI Secure boot on. But proprietary drivers like nVidia are then a bit more difficult to install as user has to certify or sign them with mokmgr for use with Secure Boot.

brooksmm
June 8th, 2021, 08:12 PM
it's an asus my prof built in 2013--the drive we're trying to get linux working on is a PCI/NVMe drive and the BIOS version is 1908.

oldfred
June 8th, 2021, 10:14 PM
Is that an Asus motherboard? What model?

Have seen others with various issues trying to get NVMe drive to work with adapters and old systems. For those old systems, I suggest just staying with SATA SSD. You probably need newer motherboard & chips to really take advantage of NVMe over SATA anyway.