PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] surface

worthexer
April 25th, 2021, 04:20 PM
Ich bin leider nicht besonde s gut in English.
I use Windows and would like to use Ubuntu or a similar operating system. Installing and setting up the system is also basically no problem. I have also created a live version on USB. Unfortunately I can't get it to work on the Surface. The touchpad or the screen does not work. Likewise of course on the stylus from Fujitsu but that would be less tragic. But this is supposed to work: https://github.com/linux-surface/linux-surface. Unfortunately I don't get anything on this page. Can someone explain to me how exactly I get this installed so that not only the keyboard, but also the touchpad and stylus work. Why does Ubuntu or Linux not support these hybrid computers in principle. For us artists and designers, they are very good and flexible. We would also rather give money to Ubuntu than Microsoft. But we are just more USER and not programmers. Can someone explain to me how to make d work? I pass it on then gladly , here there are namely even more interested parties, if you get this to work. email-snipped@horeios.de

dddman
April 25th, 2021, 06:06 PM
I run a Dell tablet similar to your Surface Pro and not finding much linux support for this product.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2460284

My current working solution is to run Ubuntu in a virtual system. This lets me run both windows and ubuntu concurrently being able to choose and mix the two. Perhaps this would work for you.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

grahammechanical
April 25th, 2021, 06:26 PM
Why does Ubuntu or Linux not support these hybrid computers in principle.

Manufacturers cooperate with Microsoft to make sure their hardware is compatible with the Microsoft operating system. Those same manufacturers are not so willing to share information about their hardware with the Linux developers.

Who makes the Surface Pro? Why, it is Microsoft. Linux offers little threat to Microsoft's dominance on desktop and laptop machines. But it is not in the financial interests of Microsoft to make life any easier for its biggest rival for desktop & laptop operating system.

If Microsoft was willing to sell the Surface Pro with Ubuntu installed, I would have bought one. May be two. One for me and one for the wife. I want to buy my wife a laptop. But not one with Windows installed because my wife would insist that I give her instruction on how to use it. I haven't used Windows since the days of Win98. I see trouble ahead. Such is life. Oh, did I not tell you? My wife wants to buy over the counter and not mail order. Also, laptops with Linux installed are aimed at software developers and are therefore expensive

Regards

scorp123
April 25th, 2021, 10:22 PM
Why does Ubuntu or Linux not support these hybrid computers in principle.

Es ist genau anders herum. Microsoft will nicht dass Du etwas anderes als Microsoft auf "ihrem" Computer laufen lässt. Und deshalb werden die Hardware-Spezifikationen geheim gehalten, Dokumentationen verschwiegen, die genaue Funktionsweise von Hardware zum Geschäftsgeheimnis erklärt. Keine Chance für Linux jemals solche Apparate zu unterstützen. Gerade Microsoft und Apple sind in dem Bereich ganz schlimm.

English translation for non-German speakers:

It's exactly the other way around. Microsoft doesn't want you to have any other OS but a Microsoft OS on "their" computer. And that's why hardware specifications are being kept secret, they keep silent about documenting any of it, the exact functionality of their hardware is declared a "trade secret". Thus Linux has no chance of ever supporting such a device. Especially Microsoft and Apple are being horrible in that regard.