PDA

View Full Version : save username/passwd

stevieb
August 29th, 2006, 12:45 AM
hello,

how can i tell the forums to remember my login info so i don't have to log in at every visit? i always check "remember me" but it doesn't. is this controlled in firefox?

thanks,
-steve

Anonii
August 29th, 2006, 12:50 AM
hello,

how can i tell the forums to remember my login info so i don't have to log in at every visit? i always check "remember me" but it doesn't. is this controlled in firefox?

thanks,
-steve

Try reseting your cookies.
Also, if you are using Firefox, but I guess its the same for any "good" browser, a Firefox pop-up would ask you if you would like to save the password for the next time you try to login. Well, just clear your cookies, first. Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy -> Cookies -> Clear Cookies Now.
Report here, if it doesnt work :/
I forgot to say, that by deleting your cookies, you will loose _EVERY_ other "Remember me". This means that you will have to re-enter your username/password in other forums, the next time you visit them.

stevieb
August 29th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the reply, but that did not work. like you say, usually a window pops up to ask; i must have said no at one point but now i want firefox to ask me again! please ask me, firefox, please!

-steve

Anonii
August 29th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Next try:

Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy -> Passwords -> View Saved Passwords

There should be Ubuntuforums.org in the "Passwords never Saved" tab.

stevieb
August 29th, 2006, 11:33 AM
yes, i've tried that already. this window is blank.

thanks,
-steve

Woodgar
August 29th, 2006, 12:19 PM
What are your cookie settings in firefox?

I have mine set to "allow sites to set cookies", but I have the "keep cookies" option set to "until I close firefox". This means that I can avoid the nagging from sites that want to set a cookie before they let me in, but I ensure that the cookie is deleted when I close firefox rather than when the cookie expiration date is met.

To ensure that forum sites work correctly, ie I'm not forced to log in every time I visit, I manually set up exceptions in firefox to allow the cookies from the forum sites to remain. Sometimes this doesn't always work, as you are experiencing, but it usually turns out that I have set the wrong domain name in the exceptions list. Maybe this is something you could check as well.

Good luck. :)

stevieb
August 30th, 2006, 03:07 PM
thanks for your reply!

i have no exceptions set up; all cookies are accepted. cookies remain active until they expire.

it seems i have told firefox to "never again" ask to save login info for this site. this info must be contained somewhere in a config file or something. anyone know where that is?

thanks,
-steve