PDA

View Full Version : Hey! Guitar players, let's chat.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

matthew
August 28th, 2006, 11:23 PM
@th3james: sweet avatar there, bro!

EDIT: This was an off-topic bit I started in another thread. Since we were having fun and it got interesting I moved the guitar related threads and started this thread...that's why it seems a bit out of context at first. Now that we have our own thread, let's talk about guitars and stuff!

th3james
August 28th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Thanks! It's my Les Paul (only an epiphone unfortunatly) and my mates bass, all messed up in the gimp. Is that actually ur SG!? Either way, its pimp!

matthew
August 29th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks! It's my Les Paul (only an epiphone unfortunatly) and my mates bass, all messed up in the gimp. Is that actually ur SG!? Either way, its pimp!

To the OP, I've been checking out the site that came from, and its fantastic stuff, thanks for the link!I'm the OP, so I guess I can take the thread off topic briefly. :)

It's an SG, specifically the one Eric Clapton played in the Cream era.http://www.edromanguitars.com/guitar/gibson/sg67%5B1%5D.jpg (http://www.edromanguitars.com/guitar/gibson/fool_gib.htm)

I have a Telecaster as my main guitar, but I also have a Guild acoustic, a Washburn bass, and a Fender knockoff of the old Guild Starfire IV semihollowbody electric. :)

I've played the Epi LP's, they're nice guitars. For the most part the biggest difference is the headstock. I played in a band for a while with a guy that had one and I was impressed with it.

jeffc313
August 29th, 2006, 12:12 AM
@ matthew, sorry to keep this post off topic, but I too play a telecaster as my main guitar. I have the 02-03 mexican one with the sunburst finish. I really want new pickups to replace my (rather wimpy) stock ones.

matthew
August 29th, 2006, 12:21 AM
@ matthew, sorry to keep this post off topic, but I too play a telecaster as my main guitar. I have the 02-03 mexican one with the sunburst finish. I really want new pickups to replace my (rather wimpy) stock ones.Nice!

Mine is blonde with a black pickguard engraved with my name. I replaced the neck pickup and put in a humbucker (with chrome cover, of course) and a 5 way strat style switch.

Oh, and I'm pulling out our guitar conversation and starting a new thread. Get ready to post some pics! :) I'll start...sorry this first one's a little small, but it illustrates the description of my tele.

matthew
August 29th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Some of my others and one of my amps...it's an old 1940's National I bought off of eBay. It was broken and I took it apart, repaired/restored it, and it works great. Maybe later I'll post a shot of an amp I built from scratch. Click on the pic for a large version.
http://static.flickr.com/31/52797334_e31912255e.jpg (http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=52797334&size=l)

jeffc313
August 29th, 2006, 12:34 AM
a 5.1 MegaPixel Photo of my baby is in order!
ps. I am going to hook my Tele up to my SoundCard and do some recording with Audacity a bit later
[img=http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6157/dcfc0001wp0.th.jpg] (http://img183.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dcfc0001wp0.jpg)

th3james
August 29th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Aww, you lucky tele owners! I desparatly want one as my second guitar (looking for a nice trebley sound to be the opposite of the les paul), but as a poor student, its out of the question atm (damn london house prices!). Any way, here's a pic of my LP in action!

http://myspace-205.vo.llnwd.net/00947/50/28/947468205_l.jpg

Its nothing special, but i still love it!

Brunellus
August 29th, 2006, 12:39 AM
y'know, I'm always amused at guitarists. They seek each other out to trade guitarpr0n.

I hardly ever hear about pianists posting photos of their pianos/organs/keyboards/etc. (Although if anyone here actually does play a Steinway Model B or a Hammond B3 that'd be cool)

GuitarHero
August 29th, 2006, 12:41 AM
I've got a Gibson SG Standard as my main guitar. Dean strat as a backup. Seagull and Ibanez acoustics, and 2 classical guitars. Also a banjo and a ukelele.

matthew
August 29th, 2006, 12:42 AM
@Brunellus: yeah, we do that... BTW, I love to hear someone with talent play a B3, and it's even more fun to have them in the band.

@jeffc313 & th3james: nice guitars, definitely better than anything I owned the first 10 years I played!

@GuitarHero: any pics?

Wallakoala
August 29th, 2006, 01:11 AM
I have an ibanez sz720fm

Here is a page with a pic: http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SZ720FM&color=1

It's a very nice guitar.

GuitarHero
August 29th, 2006, 01:20 AM
@Brunellus: yeah, we do that... BTW, I love to hear someone with talent play a B3, and it's even more fun to have them in the band.

@jeffc313 & th3james: nice guitars, definitely better than anything I owned the first 10 years I played!

@GuitarHero: any pics?

I just took one now, hold on need to upload it...
http://imagegrotto.com/uploads/00001701.jpg
There, my musical intrument collection. That thing in the front is a washtub bass if you dont know what it is. Next on the list is to get a real bass.

raublekick
August 29th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Some of my others and one of my amps...it's an old 1940's National I bought off of eBay. It was broken and I took it apart, repaired/restored it, and it works great. Maybe later I'll post a shot of an amp I built from scratch. Click on the pic for a large version.
http://static.flickr.com/31/52797334_e31912255e.jpg (http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=52797334&size=l)

hey matthew, did you make that stand out of PVC pipe and foam insulation? if so i did the same thing this summer. unfortunately i really don't have enough guitars to fill it.

i play a G&L ASAT (Tribute :-| ) as my main guitar, it's tobacco burst with one of those ugly dark brown marbled pick guards. i wanna replace the pick guard but i can't think of anything that would look good on it.

i also play a Steinberger GP-2R. it's a cheap Steinberger, but it's fairly reliable for what it is, and it's fun to play. all white including the back of the neck w/ rosewood fretboard, so it looks nice. really needs new pickups if i want to make it a decent guitar, the EMG Hz in them are so bland.

i got a new amp this summer too, a Crate Blue Voodoo 60. not the best, but it's a tube amp, it was $200, and it's way better than the Peavey solid state i was using.

ComplexNumber
August 29th, 2006, 01:25 AM
i used to be a guitar player, but i still have my beautiful yamaha SG. before that, i used to play a strat.
these days, i prefer to play bass because i feel more at home with it, and i had a sudden realisation that the guitar just isn't for me. bass players are far more in demand than guitar players too. everyone wants to be a guitar player because a lot of people imagine being on stage and showing off with hendrix-like solos. having said that, the guitar is such a wonderfully versatile instrument and is perfect for songwriting.

matthew
i hope bass players and bass chat are welcome in this thread too ;)

GuitarHero
August 29th, 2006, 03:01 AM
I find the number of people that want to play guitar annoying. Im all for new people playing guitar, but so many people go to walmart, buy some piece of plywood guitar, and learn one green day song before proclaiming themselves accomplished musicians.

VirtuAlex
August 29th, 2006, 03:12 AM
I find the number of people that want to play guitar annoying. Im all for new people playing guitar, but so many people go to walmart, buy some piece of plywood guitar, and learn one green day song before proclaiming themselves accomplished musicians.
It's a waste to buy gibson to play one green day song. Plywood would do just fine.

GuitarHero
August 29th, 2006, 03:14 AM
It's a waste to buy gibson to play one green day song. Plywood would do just fine.
Eh that wasn't really my point. Im saying too many people want to play guitar just so they can say they can play guitar, not to learn about musicianship or the instrument.

richbarna
August 29th, 2006, 03:23 AM

When I was younger it was Eddie Van Halen's eruption on the "Live without a net" Video, Yngwie Malmsteen, and Harry K Cody from Shotgun Messiah, the song "The Explorer" is awesome.

I have just recently sold a Limited Edition 1981 Gibson Explorer Tobacco Sunburst, it was a shame but things change. I still play a bit on my classical guitar but the electric days are gone now sadly.

nalmeth
August 29th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Go to a college dorm, and almost every guy seems to have an acoustic guitar.. They seem to think thats all college girls need to be convinced..
It always sucks when image takes precedence. Most guys buy their guitar only to learn a few hit songs, and when they play them, they appear to be accomplished and "talented". The worst thing is a lot of girls fall for it and are totally wooed by the BS!

I'm not one to judge a player on what scales and techniques he/she has mastered (those people **** me off too :p). Guitar "skill" is a redundant thing to judge, but you can usually tell quickly what their musical intentions are.

I really like the idea of this thread, when I get my camera back (hopefully by tomorrow), I will post pics of my equipment. Lets keep uploading the guitarpRon people! :mrgreen:

VirtuAlex
August 29th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Eh that wasn't really my point. Im saying too many people want to play guitar just so they can say they can play guitar, not to learn about musicianship or the instrument.
Well, I agree it is quite stupid to call oneself a musician having learned couple of chords, but not so many actually claim that. It's just that stupid ones make most of noise making them annoing.
Actually I had an offer to join a band once. I responded that I could barely allign my fingers at Hm and that only after couple of beers to relax my muscles. They told me "c'mon, you look cool, besides anybody can play bass..." I think they're still playing somewhere some crazy stuff like trash metal.
But most of my friends do own inexpensive guitars and play just for each other, because it's so hard not to sing, and nobody pretends to be musicians or make a band out of nothing. It feels good when you can do something. Of course when you can sudo it feels even better, but not everybody have talent.

IYY
August 29th, 2006, 05:36 AM
I play folkish stuff, Bob Dylan being my main influence. My guitar is nothing fancy, though; just your average everyday Yamaha. Solid, clean sounding, but without much character.

One day I want to buy a used spanish/classical guitar. I've played some in music stores and they have such a beautiful dull wooden sound.

drucer
August 29th, 2006, 07:56 AM
I play many different styles of music. Current gear:

Amps + effects:
Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX
Line6 Echo Pro studio delay modeler

Guitars:
Gretsch 6136 White Falcon
Gretsch 6118 Double Anniversary
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic guitar

Picture of my home studio & Gretsch White Falcon:
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n178/flameandthefire/

paul cooke
August 29th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Actually I had an offer to join a band once. I responded that I could barely allign my fingers at Hm and that only after couple of beers to relax my muscles. They told me c'mon, you look cool, besides anybody can play bass... I think they're still playing somewhere some crazy stuff like trash metal.

isn't that where they deliberately tune the guitars to some weird mode so that holding down all the strings against the same fret gives them a chord???

And what do you mean "anybody can play bass"... hah... most guitarists I know are "one trick ponies"... they know just enough to look good... give them a bass and they couldn't hold a rythm at all...

the bass makes you want to groove... the guitars just fill in with flash licks.

Most people don't notice when the guitar misses a lick... but they really notice when the bass can't stay in the pocket or hits the wrong root.

halfvolle melk
August 29th, 2006, 09:51 AM
@brunellus, do you have any idea how many of us it takes to screw in a light bulb??? It takes a special breed ...

*cough* click (http://130.89.163.205/~heras/fvgt/) *cough* needs a lot of work, I know.

matthew
August 29th, 2006, 11:39 AM
hey matthew, did you make that stand out of PVC pipe and foam insulation? if so i did the same thing this summer. Actually it's welded steel, but now that I think about it, PVC would have been a lot easier. :) I actually have two guitars that aren't in that picture, but you can see my mandolin case to the left of the stand.

matthew
i hope bass players and bass chat are welcome in this thread too ;)Absolutely. :)

Gretsch 6136 White FalconOh, man, I drooled all over my keyboard. Nice!

@brunellus, do you have any idea how many of us it takes to screw in a light bulb???100. 1 to screw it in and 99 to say, "Jimi would have done it better."

...or 99 to sit back and watch his hands trying to figure out how he did it.

...or 99 to complain that the light bulbs they make today aren't nearly as good as the vintage ones we used to be able to buy.

ComplexNumber
August 29th, 2006, 01:21 PM
They told me c'mon, you look cool, besides anybody can play bass that is total rubbish :lol:. i can't believe anyone can be so naive as to believe that. its usually said by people who haven't even played a single note on a bass. the bass is actually a really difficult instrument to master, not least because its the glue that keeps the rest of the band together. as paul cooke says, if the guitar stops playing or makes a mistake, nobody notices and it doesn't affect the rest of the band much because nobody depends upon him or her. when the bass stops playing or makes a mistake, everyone notices or the music will grind to a halt because what the guitar player and the drummer play depend upon what the bass player does.
the person that told you that "anyone can play bass" should just remember that the bass is the backbone of the music. there are virtually no effective bands that don't have a bass, and those that don't(eg the whitestripes) have guitar and amp with extra bass to compensate.

Brunellus
August 29th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Go to a college dorm, and almost every guy seems to have an acoustic guitar.. They seem to think thats all college girls need to be convinced..
It always sucks when image takes precedence. Most guys buy their guitar only to learn a few hit songs, and when they play them, they appear to be accomplished and "talented". The worst thing is a lot of girls fall for it and are totally wooed by the BS!

I'm not one to judge a player on what scales and techniques he/she has mastered (those people **** me off too :p). Guitar "skill" is a redundant thing to judge, but you can usually tell quickly what their musical intentions are.

I really like the idea of this thread, when I get my camera back (hopefully by tomorrow), I will post pics of my equipment. Lets keep uploading the guitarpRon people! :mrgreen:
I think there's a pretty low standard of musical literacy, generally (at least in North America).

I play piano/keyboard, and I do it, by my own admission, pretty poorly. I have a hard time reading sheet music, and my technique leaves much to be desired.

Yet, I have never ceased to be amazed at the number of people who are amazed when I can sit down and bang out enough chords to accompany a song.

Just for the hell of it, I played the open mic night once down at my local. I tried three numbers, flubbed all of them, was a total wreck, and I had three guitarists come up asking "dude! are you looking for a band?!" I didn't know whether to laugh or cry....

GarethMB
August 29th, 2006, 01:43 PM
http://img95.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0000136ji8.jpg
http://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0000137hw4.jpg

I've been playing for 3 3/4 years now, and now I finally feel pretty competent. I can play some pretty technical stuff providing I have the time to learn it. I generally play heavy rock / metal.

matthew
August 29th, 2006, 02:05 PM
the bass is actually a really difficult instrument to masterI agree. I'm a pretty good guitarist (blues, classic rock, hard rock, even country), but I'm just an adequate bass player. You can kind of kick back sometimes while playing the guitar--you mess up and almost no one notices as long as you recover well. With the bass you have to pay attention to the groove and really be immersed in the music, you are the foundation.

I think there's a pretty low standard of musical literacy, generally (at least in North America). Ouch. It's true. I once heard someone joke that Rock and Roll required the knowledge of 3 chords and the ability to spit.

I've been playing for 3 3/4 years now, and now I finally feel pretty competent. I can play some pretty technical stuff providing I have the time to learn it. I generally play heavy rock / metal.Dude, nice Dean--mahogany, right? I have found that most true metal players have a real respect for learning the foundations and technical aspects of music, often rivaling classical players.

Here's my problem: I'm entirely self-taught. I can play some things extremely well, but occasionally I discover glaring holes in my musical foundations that someone who had even one year of lessons would understand. I've read a lot of books, but most of what I play I learned by watching others and playing with really good musicians.

Brunellus
August 29th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I once heard someone joke that Rock and Roll required the knowledge of 3 chords and the ability to spit.

http://thesis.mekerr.com/now%20start%20a%20band%20tee.jpg

Which brings me to a somewhat naive question: why are so many songs written for guitar written in D?

raublekick
August 29th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Ouch. It's true. I once heard someone joke that Rock and Roll required the knowledge of 3 chords and the ability to spit.

I always loved this argument. What does blues require? Same thing, just no spitting. What does country require? 3 or 4 chords. How technically advanced a song is written should never be the deciding factor if a song is good or not.

I'd take the Ramones over Dream Theater any day. However, most modern rock acts have lost the subtlties. I love blues and even some country, and what I love about them is that I can here three songs in a row, all just standard 12-bar blues in E, just played at different tempos. But all three songs could sound completely different because of the shuffle style, the lead style, the drumming, the bass line, etc.

I agree though, America's standards are, indeed, looooooow.

matthew
August 29th, 2006, 02:24 PM
http://thesis.mekerr.com/now%20start%20a%20band%20tee.jpg

Which brings me to a somewhat naive question: why are so many songs written for guitar written in D?Because open chords like D, G & A(7) are easy to play and with only 2 sharps the piano player doesn't complain too much. :) Same with the key of G, you still use open chords (G, C, D(7)) with one less sharp. :-$

matthew
August 29th, 2006, 02:26 PM
I always loved this argument. What does blues require? Same thing, just no spitting. What does country require? 3 or 4 chords. How technically advanced a song is written should never be the deciding factor if a song is good or not.

I'd take the Ramones over Dream Theater any day. However, most modern rock acts have lost the subtlties. I love blues and even some country, and what I love about them is that I can here three songs in a row, all just standard 12-bar blues in E, just played at different tempos. But all three songs could sound completely different because of the shuffle style, the lead style, the drumming, the bass line, etc.

I agree though, America's standards are, indeed, looooooow.Agreed on all counts. For me, there's nothing like a really groovy 12 bar blues shuffle in E. The trick is making the same thing sound fresh in the next 5 songs. :) That's where the real talent lies in these styles.

ComplexNumber
August 29th, 2006, 02:42 PM
What does blues require? blues is actually quite difficult to do well. technically, its really simple. i mean, its not exactly like jazz that requires considerable knowledge. the difficulty in blues is in the expression. of course, many people will say that that applies to all music....but i think blues, by its essence, depends especially on expression.

paul cooke
August 29th, 2006, 02:50 PM
There are virtually no effective bands that don't have a bass, and those that don't(eg the whitestripes) have guitar and amp with extra bass to compensate. as I understand it, The White Stripes get away with it because he's set his system up with an effects pedal that drops stuff down an octave into the bass register when needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Stripes

White also produces a "fake" bass tone by playing his guitars through his Digitech whammy pedal, dropping the tuning down by one octave[10] for a very thick, low, rumbling sound, which he uses most notably on the songs Seven Nation Army and The Hardest Button to Button.[14]

so even they need a bass...

ComplexNumber
August 29th, 2006, 02:58 PM
as I understand it, The White Stripes get away with it because he's set his system up with an effects pedal that drops stuff down an octave into the bass register when needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Stripes

so even they need a bass...
i knew it was something like that :p. i was reading about that sometime ago, but i couldn't remember the exact technique.

richbarna
August 29th, 2006, 02:58 PM
100. 1 to screw it in and 99 to say, "Jimi would have done it better."

...or 99 to sit back and watch his hands trying to figure out how he did it.

...or 99 to complain that the light bulbs they make today aren't nearly as good as the vintage ones we used to be able to buy.

Just 1, he holds the bulb in the socket, and waits for the whole world to revolve around him. :mrgreen:

VirtuAlex
August 29th, 2006, 03:03 PM
isn't that where they deliberately tune the guitars to some weird mode so that holding down all the strings against the same fret gives them a chord???
Do people really do that? That's funny :)

And what do you mean "anybody can play bass"...
That's not what I mean, that's what they told me word by word. I've probably shoud use quotes. Sorry for misunderstanding.

that is total rubbish :lol:. i can't believe anyone can be so naive as to believe that.
If I believe that I probably would be "plaing" with them now ;).

matthew
August 29th, 2006, 03:04 PM
blues is actually quite difficult to do well. technically, its really simple. i mean, its not exactly like jazz that requires considerable knowledge. the difficulty in blues is in the expression. of course, many people will say that that applies to all music....but i think blues, by its essence, depends especially on expression.I agree. The basic blues scale has 5 notes...it's all what you do with them.

Just 1, he holds the bulb in the socket, and waits for the whole world to revolve around him. :mrgreen:matthew holds up a flaming lighter to the best answer to that joke that I've seen in a while.

ComplexNumber
August 29th, 2006, 03:22 PM
The basic blues scale has 5 notes...it's all what you do with them.
very true. i always wanted to play the blues well on guitar, but i just sounded really flat. i really couldn't bring the music alive. i found out first-hand just how difficult it is.

If I believe that I probably would be "plaing" with them now
its a good job you didn't ;). you would be holding yourself back if you joined their band. anybody with a mentality like theirs are never likely to progress beyond the ordinary and will inevitably remain uninventive.

paul cooke
August 29th, 2006, 03:59 PM
OK folks... anyone know of anyplace where I can download readymade Hydrogen drum tracks to piddle around with / practice to?

I found Hydrogen to be very nice, but awfully technical if you don't really know how drum tracks should be put together...

I'm not after tracks of commercial songs, just basic rock etc. standards.

Tab editing, I've found KGuitar to be a real pain so far... I've got Timidity set up correctly yet KGuitar fails to actually make any sound (Hints anyone?)

Songwrite does it easier (ie it actually plays through timidity (so I know my midi is correctly set up)), but is more limited in what you can do. You have to put chords in by hand on the stave and input isn't tab based but is on a proper music stave (at least the notes actually sound as you enter them)

KGuitar also falls over too often when importing guitar pro files.
DGuitar ( a java based program) plays back Guitar Pro tracks nicely, but you can't edit them :( and it falls down on some features (can't cope with time changes)

http://DGuitar.sourceforge.net

-----------
DESCRIPTION
-----------

DGuitar is a Guitar Pro (*.GP4,*.GP3,GTP) viewer, player program that works under
Linux,MacOs,Solaris,BSD,Windows and any other Operational System that has
Java Runtime Environment 1.4 or later installed.

-------
LICENSE
-------
This program is released under the GNU/GPL License. (take a look at LICENSE.TXT)

ComplexNumber
August 29th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Tab editing, I've found KGuitar to be a real pain so far. try denemo. see screenshot.

paul cooke
August 29th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Tab editing, I've found KGuitar to be a real pain so far... I've got Timidity set up correctly yet KGuitar fails to actually make any sound (Hints anyone?)

OK, got sound out of KGuitar... you have to start Timidity as a daemon beforehand using something like:

timidity -iAq -Os

:)

raublekick
August 29th, 2006, 07:37 PM
blues is actually quite difficult to do well. technically, its really simple. i mean, its not exactly like jazz that requires considerable knowledge. the difficulty in blues is in the expression. of course, many people will say that that applies to all music....but i think blues, by its essence, depends especially on expression.

yeah, i wasn't trying to say that blues is easy or anything, just that it's still basically 3 chords. then you get your strumming rhythm down, then throw in a shuffle, then decide if you want to voice the higher strings more or the lower strings, and there you have a formula for solo-blues. there's way more to it than that, but what most people here is just the three chords with some leads and whatnot.

blues certainly takes a trained ear to appreciate all the subleties. and then to play it... you just gotta groove.

Bezmotivnik
August 29th, 2006, 08:30 PM
It's all your frame of reference.

To me, ALL pop music is a joke because I eventually came to understand and appreciate opera, which makes everything and everybody in pop look like total spankery by any musical or technical standard.

Remember, there's always someone who can make you look like the bedroom-warrior kid with the plywood axe.

Bezmotivnik
August 29th, 2006, 08:36 PM
i can't believe anyone can be so naive as to believe that. its usually said by people who haven't even played a single note on a bass. the bass is actually a really difficult instrument to master, not least because its the glue that keeps the rest of the band together. as paul cooke says, if the guitar stops playing or makes a mistake, nobody notices and it doesn't affect the rest of the band much because nobody depends upon him or her.
As someone who switched to bass as my primary instrument I have to agree -- totally.

As I put it, "bass is simpler, but more difficult" than playing lead. Face it, a lead guitarist can get away with absolute murder. A bass player can't get away with anything. :(

Believe me, I've tried!

th3james
August 29th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Anyone looking for a good OSS version of Guitar pro should check out
Tux Guitar (http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/)
its the best native program i've used for tab editing, althou its got a way to go 2 match guitar pro. Sound worked straight off for me

nalmeth
August 30th, 2006, 01:18 AM
thrash metal :confused:

What you're referring to sounds like tuning to G. It's a perfect tuning for slide.

I love different tunings, they can help wake you up if you're getting in a rut playing the same stuff all the time.

jeffc313
August 30th, 2006, 01:27 AM
@th3james thanks for the link, i tried to install it a few months back, but with the daper deb, it was very easy.
@nalmeth I could use some different tunings, i always do a drop D or standard tuning, and when i practice, i keep falling into the same riffs/licks.
@everyone else tomorrow i will definately record my telecaster. I just havent had the energy to find my cables and move my (rather small P.O.S. Yamaha) amp into the next room.:D

TravisNewman
August 30th, 2006, 03:33 AM
Didn't read everything, just wanted to chime in with mine:

I have a few guitars, no pics though.
The first guitar I played was my mom's Kay acoustic from the 70s. Beautiful guitar, sounds like nothing I've ever heard before.
My first guitar was a Synsonics electric. Piece. Of. Crap. But I learned on it, so I can't get rid of it ;)
I got a Kay acoustic of my own after a while, but it's not as good. The new Kay's don't sound nearly as good as the old ones.
I was looking for a new guitar after I got more serious, and ended up settling on an Aria Pro II (don't know the model-- looks like BB King's guitar). I've played the Gibson version of it, many of them in fact, and I've never found one that sounds or plays like my Aria. I had never heard of the company, but they apparently make good stuff-- Buckethead plays Aria basses. Anyway, I'm just convinced that this is the best sounding guitar in the sub-$2000 range I've ever heard/plaed.
I also have a Danelectro that I got at a pawn shop for $100. Costs about 600 new. (again, don't know the model. I don't pay attention to that much, I just play what I think plays well and sounds good ;))

raublekick
August 30th, 2006, 04:38 AM
The first guitar I played was my mom's Kay acoustic from the 70s. Beautiful guitar, sounds like nothing I've ever heard before.

I have a Kay acoustic from probably around the same time. Unfortunately, it was in our attic from the time we moved here ('86) until about 2 years ago. Pennsylvania weather has hot hot summers and cold cold winters, so the thing got majorly damaged. The front of the body warped so that it all got concave into the sound hole, and this made the action super high. I'm talking the strings were almost a half inch off the fret board at the 5th fret. When I played it for the first time I knew at one point it was a beautiful guitar, I just wish it would have kept it's beauty :(

paul cooke
August 30th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Anyone looking for a good OSS version of Guitar pro should check out
Tux Guitar (http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/)
its the best native program i've used for tab editing, althou its got a way to go 2 match guitar pro. Sound worked straight off for me

woah, that's brill... :) although it isn't native, it's Java. The ubuntu .debs won't install for me as it can't find my Java 1.5 (I installed Java the hard way from Sun long time ago) The "binary" files do and this prog is great... developing fast as well.

I've just been hacking a gp3 track to fix one of my pet bugbears... fools who stick to one string in tab instead of going up a string and staying in the same area on the fret board. On the Bass, if the fret number is 5 or more, then you can (usually) go up a string (and sub 5 from the fret number)

if you just want one or two specific GPx files, then go here:

http://www.gprotab.net/index.php

matthew
August 30th, 2006, 11:01 AM
I was looking for a new guitar after I got more serious, and ended up settling on an Aria Pro II (don't know the model-- looks like BB King's guitar). I've played the Gibson version of it, many of them in fact, and I've never found one that sounds or plays like my Aria. I had never heard of the company, but they apparently make good stuff--I've played a lot of their guitars, they make some nice stuff for a good price. I'm always surprised they aren't more popular.

GarethMB
August 30th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I'm trying tuxguitar.

Guitar Pro is the last program that ensures my windows partition's miserable existence.
Edit:
Pretty good, except for the sound bank. Anyone know where I can get a good one?

ComplexNumber
August 30th, 2006, 10:59 PM
I've played a lot of their guitars, they make some nice stuff for a good price. I'm always surprised they aren't more popular.
i have a yamaha guitar. i personally think they make some of the best quality budget(even low-mid range) guitars around. they're not really for the high-end, though....i don;t think.
i don't know much about aria, so i can't comment.

matthew
August 30th, 2006, 11:03 PM
i have a yamaha guitar. i personally think they make some of the best quality budget(even low-mid range) guitars around. they're not really for the high-end, though....i don;t think.
i don't know much about aria, so i can't comment.I used to have a Yamaha FG411-12 twelve string acoustic and I was really pleased with it. I ended up giving it away to a friend who has used it far more than I did or would have. Yamaha makes a consistently good quality guitar in the budget and low-mid ranges.

matthew
August 30th, 2006, 11:40 PM
I mentioned earlier that I once built my own guitar amp. I used to buy old tube amps off of eBay, fix 'em, and either sell them or give them to friends. I saved up for several years and in 1999 my wife bought me an amp kit for our anniversary. I built it, took it apart again, rebuilt it with personal modifications, and now present a couple of pictures here for you to enjoy. Technical details at the bottom.

http://static.flickr.com/57/229530439_cec1ce18e1_o.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/79/229528913_02061705d9.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/90/229530442_c6387ba4e0_o.jpg

The kit as an Old Flame from Allen Amps (http://www.allenamps.com/). I was very pleased both with the parts quality and the service. Once when I talked with David Allen, the owner, he actually gave me some ideas to mod my amp according to my taste. Good guy.

My amp has two 10 inch speakers, Jensen C10N's. It is all tube circuitry with two 6L6GC power tubes, two 12AX7s in the preamp and two 12AT7's driving the reverb module. The power amp is similar to an old tweed Fender Bassman, the preamp is kind of a cross between a blackface Bassman and a Fender Vibrolux. The amp has a reverb circuit similar to that of the old brown tolex standalone Fender Reverb head. Modifications include a larger output transformer for greater power handling, a tube rectifier for better "sag" and compression during hard strumming, and some tweaks in the tone stack. The amp has a master volume and a special trick called a "raw" knob (originally a switch) that allows the signal from the guitar to gradually bypass the tone stack and gives the amp a bit of vintage Marshall grind. Yep, after 7 years I still think this is the coolest amp I have ever played!

I'll save the pedal board for another time... :)

ComplexNumber
August 30th, 2006, 11:52 PM
matthew
wow! it looks really sound! :). how long did it take you to build everything from start to finish? i imagine that it works out significantly cheaper than pre-built. fender bassmans are really good. i'm not overly struck on tele's, though ;).

incidentally, i'm looking out for a 5 string bass with a high C, so you may well have given me an idea. its very difficult to find basses with a high C, although i know i can always buy a 6 string set and adjust the neck for the extra tension instead.

matthew
August 31st, 2006, 12:10 AM
matthew
wow! it looks really sound! :). how long did it take you to build everything from start to finish? i imagine that it works out significantly cheaper than pre-built. fender bassmans are really good. i'm not overly struck on tele's, though ;).

incidentally, i'm looking out for a 5 string bass with a high C, so you may well have given me an idea. its very difficult to find basses with a high C, although i know i can always buy a 6 string set and adjust the neck for the extra tension instead.My tele's modded as well...humbucker at the neck with the coils split and a 5 way strat style pickup selector switch as well as a different value tone pot. I can coax standard tele sounds out of it from country to LedZep I (which was recorded with Jimmy Page playing a tele on the whole album!) and even get some usable Les Paul tones out of it. I do have other guitars if I need them, but that tele is my mainstay.

Come to think about it, I don't think I own anything I haven't taken apart... :)

The cost worked out to be about $750 (in 1999 dollars) compared to over $1500 at the time to have someone else build something similar. That included the professionally made cabinet and faceplate as well as the speakers and all the parts...it doesn't include tools or tubes. I already had the tools and I found new, old stock American made tubes from the 1960's at a local hamfest (I was living in Arizona at the time) for a good price. Something similar in the actual vintage arena would be well over $2-3000 and then I would need to do some restoration work...no, I wanted a player, not a museum piece. :D

For your bass idea, you might look at these links. I have used Stewart-MacDonald (http://www.stewmac.com/) for parts and supplies several times with great success (they have a cool catalog, too). I've never used Warmoth (http://www.warmoth.com/), but I know people who have and they are considered the standard parts source for do-it-yourself guitar/bass builds.

ComplexNumber
August 31st, 2006, 12:24 AM
so how long did it take? you didn't mention.

i haven't quite got to the modding stage yet because i know next to nothing about electronics, despite a mathematical background. i imagine that it gives you considerable flexibility when you're selecting a guitar because it will allow you to change anything that you are not happy about or that isn't quite perfect.

about the tele, i was never that keen on them. i tried out so many (even a hideous BC rich. i think it was one called the beast. another one included its own coffin carrying case, but i can't remember the name of it. what made me consider a bc rich, i don't know), but i eventually settled on a sunburn yamaha sg. the ele that i tried out was a peevey, and it included some piezo thing for simulating the sound of an acoustic. if i had have carried on with guitar, i probably would have got an archtop because i think they're the most stylish of all, followed by a les paul.

cheers for the links, but they seem to be american ;). that defeats the object of cost cutting and would probably create some problems when it comes to the electrics. i'll be looking for something closer to home here in england.

matthew
August 31st, 2006, 12:52 AM
so how long did it take? you didn't mention. About 30 hours of work went into the build, spaced over 2 weeks. I had quite a bit of practice and experience working on amps before that, though, so it was faster than it would be if I had never worked on a circuit like that before and had to learn how to read a schematic drawing, etc.

i haven't quite got to the modding stage yet because i know next to nothing about electronics, despite a mathematical background. i imagine that it gives you considerable flexibility when you're selecting a guitar because it will allow you to change anything that you are not happy about or that isn't quite perfect.That's the fun of it. It's also not exceptionally difficult once you get the basics. The most important thing to remember is to pay attention to safety protocols at all times. There are voltages in tube circuitry that can kill you, no exaggeration. If you follow safety guidelines you will be fine, but don't even open up an amp if you don't know what you're doing. Modding a guitar is pretty safe, you just have to know how the circuit works and how to solder.

about the tele, i was never that keen on them. i tried out so many (even a hideous BC rich. i think it was one called the beast. another one included its own coffin carrying case, but i can't remember the name of it. what made me consider a bc rich, i don't know), but i eventually settled on a sunburn yamaha sg. the ele that i tried out was a peevey, and it included some piezo thing for simulating the sound of an acoustic. if i had have carried on with guitar, i probably would have got an archtop because i think they're the most stylish of all, followed by a les paul.It's mostly personal taste, really. I am convinced that the majority of a person's tone comes from their fingers, their experience and skill. Eric Clapton always sounds like Eric Clapton whether he's playing a Gibson SG through a Marshall stack or a Fender Stratocaster through a Bassman. BTW, here's a shot of my semi-hollow-body electric. :) That was when it was new, the sticker is gone from the pickguard and my name has been engraved on it like on the tele.
http://static.flickr.com/58/229584238_a6046aed28.jpg

cheers for the links, but they seem to be american ;). that defeats the object of cost cutting and would probably create some problems when it comes to the electrics. i'll be looking for something closer to home here in england.Doh! I didn't notice you are in the UK...sorry about that. I've heard WD Music (http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/home/index.php) does pretty well up there.

ComplexNumber
August 31st, 2006, 01:44 AM
About 30 hours of work went into the build, spaced over 2 weeks. I had quite a bit of practice and experience working on amps before that, though, so it was faster than it would be if I had never worked on a circuit like that before and had to learn how to read a schematic drawing, etc. that is well quick! i would have thought it would take much longer because its so intricate.

I am convinced that the majority of a person's tone comes from their fingers, their experience and skill. Eric Clapton always sounds like Eric Clapton whether he's playing a Gibson SG through a Marshall stack or a Fender Stratocaster through a Bassman. BTW, here's a shot of my semi-hollow-body electric.
i think it does too.

That's the fun of it. It's also not exceptionally difficult once you get the basics. The most important thing to remember is to pay attention to safety protocols at all times. There are voltages in tube circuitry that can kill you, no exaggeration. If you follow safety guidelines you will be fine, but don't even open up an amp if you don't know what you're doing. Modding a guitar is pretty safe, you just have to know how the circuit works and how to solder. don't worry - i'm well aware of the voltages. an amp is similar to a television. i don't think i would bother with an amp

that archtop of yours looks really hot :cool:

thanks for the link - bookmarked :)

btw several years ago, i was checking out new audio equipment. i had intended to get a naim system 5, but i never did. i would still love to, though, because i want to get the very best musical experience. i did lots of research into all the aspects such as: using a pre and/or power amp is useless for playing anything other vinyl, despite what manufacturers and fast talking salesmen would have us believe, lots of valve systems are a complete con, and all the talk about spending 100's of pounds on interconnects and leads is a waste and does not result in much improvement in audio quality.
well, my question to you is: do you believe that spending that little bit extra on leads between guitar and amp results in a better sound? i don't believe it does.

Wight_Rhino
August 31st, 2006, 02:06 AM
I got a Custom-Made Carvin DC127. I spent about a year poring over their catalogue, then ordered all my specs on the phone with a rep.

Got a 30W Marshall Combo, but I got my eye on a Fender (Blues Jr)

Oh yeah, and my Washburn acoustic!

Been playing about 5 years now, and I'm no Clapton but I enjoy myself! :)

Bezmotivnik
August 31st, 2006, 02:23 AM
BTW, here's a shot of my semi-hollow-body electric.
That's a "24 Series" Korean Squier, isn't it?

The "24 Series" was a pretty strange story, but I imagine you've already heard it.

fuscia
August 31st, 2006, 03:43 AM
i think i need to get a bass. i think i'd actually practice if i did.

ComplexNumber
August 31st, 2006, 04:11 AM
i think i need to get a bass. i think i'd actually practice if i did.
why do you think that?

matthew
August 31st, 2006, 09:39 AM
btw several years ago, i was checking out new audio equipment. i had intended to get a naim system 5, but i never did. i would still love to, though, because i want to get the very best musical experience. i did lots of research into all the aspects such as: using a pre and/or power amp is useless for playing anything other vinyl, despite what manufacturers and fast talking salesmen would have us believe, lots of valve systems are a complete con, and all the talk about spending 100's of pounds on interconnects and leads is a waste and does not result in much improvement in audio quality.I have my grandfather's old tube stereo (Fisher 800B, it's sweet!) that I took apart and restored electronically and I will say that tube systems do sound better in general.

well, my question to you is: do you believe that spending that little bit extra on leads between guitar and amp results in a better sound? i don't believe it does.Cables can make a small difference, but some of what you hear when you get into the "audiophile" community is pure bunk. A $100 cable will not sound significantly better than a $10 cable, at least not in my experience. (I've never bought the expensive ones, but I did do some hearing testing with them in shops and at people's homes.) For the guitar, I don't buy the cheapest cables available, mainly because either the cables or the connectors seem to break more easily. I just look for something that has quality connectors (switchcraft are quite nice) that I can resolder if necessary and a good quality wire that won't kink or short out easily. Beyond that I think the appeal is mainly aesthetic or psychosomatic...although some people swear by the expensive stuff...ymmv.

I got a Custom-Made Carvin DC127. I spent about a year poring over their catalogue, then ordered all my specs on the phone with a rep.Ooohh. Carvin's are nice. I have a few friends who have guitars and/or basses by them. Great stuff, and their prices are stellar for custom-made equipment. Congrats.

That's a "24 Series" Korean Squier, isn't it?

The "24 Series" was a pretty strange story, but I imagine you've already heard it.Yes! Good eye. They weren't around very long so I got it for an amazing price ($300!!!). The original list on these was $1000, but the name on the headstock scared people off. It's too bad because it's a great guitar. I did put a bone nut on it instead of the original plastic one, but other than that it is stock.

i think i need to get a bass. i think i'd actually practice if i did.You should. They're a lot of fun, and with your musical training you should be able to do quite well on the bass.

ComplexNumber
August 31st, 2006, 12:14 PM
I have my grandfather's old tube stereo (Fisher 800B, it's sweet!) that I took apart and restored electronically and I will say that tube systems do sound better in general. sorry, i should have clarified. i didn't mean all valve systems. i just meant that there is a large proportion of "valve systems" that are valve in name only, without any benefits of valve systems. they stick a valve or 2 in there to call it a valve amp. in other words, they advertising themselves as valve systems to hike their price up and mislead people into thinking they are getting a valve-type sound. valve systems, on a properly designed system, should perform better because of the differences between them and transisters when it comes to changing state.

Cables can make a small difference, but some of what you hear when you get into the "audiophile" community is pure bunk. A $100 cable will not sound significantly better than a $10 cable, at least not in my experience. (I've never bought the expensive ones, but I did do some hearing testing with them in shops and at people's homes.) For the guitar, I don't buy the cheapest cables available, mainly because either the cables or the connectors seem to break more easily. I just look for something that has quality connectors (switchcraft are quite nice) that I can resolder if necessary and a good quality wire that won't kink or short out easily. Beyond that I think the appeal is mainly aesthetic or psychosomatic...although some people swear by the expensive stuff...ymmv. i think i'll stick with the cheap(but not dirt-cheap) stuff :p.

matthew
August 31st, 2006, 12:53 PM
sorry, i should have clarified. i didn't mean all valve systems. i just meant that there is a large proportion of "valve systems" that are valve in name only, without any benefits of valve systems. they stick a valve or 2 in there to call it a valve amp. in other words, they advertising themselves as valve systems to hike their price up and mislead people into thinking they are getting a valve-type sound. valve systems, on a properly designed system, should perform better because of the differences between them and transisters when it comes to changing state.

i think i'll stick with the cheap(but not dirt-cheap) stuff :p.Right, now I understand you...we are in total agreement on both counts.

ygarl
August 31st, 2006, 02:06 PM
Hello all!

A thread with no point whatsoever! I love it!

Anyhoo:
My toybox contains a Line 6 II 75w 1x12 combo which has perhaps the best DI recording output of any amp on the market for less than £1000 ($1600).
No, really! It sounds as good as if I spent an hour miking it up without miking it up. And it cost me £265 (about $320).
And I can gig with it, even with a proper drummer. It doesn't have quite the cache of a Marshall or Mesa, but what the heck. I can carry it with one hand, it cost less than a rubbish guitar, and it has tasty built-in digital effects which don't sound like toys.

Buy one.

<RANT ENDS>
I use a BC Rich Warlock in natural wood finish - no colour, just lacquer! Very unusual to say the least. I thought it sounded pretty good until I bought my other baby below:
I also use a Band of Gypsies Strat which was the cheapest guitar I ever bought (in Lafayette, Indiana while visiting my Mom back in the US). It also sounds like the End of the World. I've owned Jacksons (two), proper Gibson Explorers (two - one from the Custom Shop with a Kahler trem!), a Washburn (bleh), etc and it is unbelievable. It's ridiculous: a tie-dyed HM Strat, which sounds like an suped-up ESP on crack.
I so don't care what it looks like though. It's a rhythm guitar machine from hell.
<SECOND RANT ENDS>

So, I basically have gone from a MESA/Triaxis rack setup with a Jackson Kelly and Gibson Explorer setup costing 3 Grand (GBP), to a Line 6 combo and Fender and cheapy BC Rich setup costing less than 1 grand but sounding even better!

Bezmotivnik
August 31st, 2006, 08:33 PM
> That's a "24 Series" Korean Squier, isn't it?

> The "24 Series" was a pretty strange story, but I imagine you've already heard it.

Yes! Good eye. They weren't around very long so I got it for an amazing price ($300!!!). The original list on these was $1000, but the name on the headstock scared people off. It's too bad because it's a great guitar. I did put a bone nut on it instead of the original plastic one, but other than that it is stock.

The story is pretty bizarre with these. They are the best Squiers since the old Japanese ones made for Fender by Fujigen-Gakki, but they were originally a different Fender brand.

When Keith Brawley was at Guild after it was acquired by FMIC (Fender Musical Instrument Corp.), he got the idea to reissue classic early Guild electric designs made by a higher-end foreign builder (in this case, Cor-Tek in Inchon) with top-quality, Fender-made US pickups, both the instruments and the aftermarket pickups to be sold under the old DeArmond name -- which FMIC also had acquired. Keith came up with a very complete line of instruments, most of which were very good, and some of which were incredibly nice. Unusual at the time for Asian instruments, the MSRP was as much as $1200, and this supposedly contributed to difficult marketing. There was a "Special" line which included lower-cost, Indonesian-made versions.

For reasons that are still not clear, FMIC decided to dump the DeArmond line, and dump it they did: The remaining stocks were retailed at up to 85% off, and over $1,000,000 worth of some models were given away to VH1's "Save the Music" educational foundation, much of that later being sold off on eBay.

Apparently, FMIC still had a sizable contract left to run with Cor-Tek for these, so they decided to change-order the headstock shape and name, drop the American DeArmond pickups and run out remaining production as a "high-end" Squier. $1000 Squiers did not make sense to the public and these were discontinued when the contract ran out, I understand. I am not sure if any other material changes between the corresponding "24 Series" and DeArmonds models were made, though there were some 24s that didn't previously exist in the DeArmond line (including yours).

The DeArmonds were often great guitars, sometimes not. I have six or seven top-line DeArmonds around here and they include some of my favorite guitars ever...and I've been playing, buying and selling guitars for at least a decade longer than I'd care to admit. :-$

Keith Brawley left FMIC and tried his hand at marketing his own line of guitars, went out of business and the last I heard is working at Guitar Center's corporate headquarters. :(

matthew
August 31st, 2006, 09:39 PM
The story is pretty bizarre with these.
I had heard most of the story and saw/played a few of the DeArmond branded versions, which I liked a lot. When I saw mine for only $300 I knew it was a steal and after playing it I'm convinced it is better than my brother-in-law's original 1960's Guild Starfire IV (yeah, he knows I think so, but his is very nice as well and has an amazing vibe). The pickups are Duncan designed and sound just right for the guitar and it plays great. Anyway, thanks for filling in a couple of the holes in my knowledge of the back story of the Squier 24's!

christhemonkey
August 31st, 2006, 10:10 PM
I play a washburn XB125 5 string bass.
http://free.000angels.com/chrisbeagles/images/bass.jpg
Its pretty good, although iv been playing a lot of jazz/blues/swing/funk/soul, so am looking to buy a nice jazzy sort of bass.

Currently looking at the marcus miller signature from fender, or maybe the jaco pastorius.

Or maybe im just a sucker for big names....

:D

ComplexNumber
August 31st, 2006, 10:16 PM
christhemonkey
just get a warwick instead ;).

matthew
August 31st, 2006, 10:19 PM
Currently looking at the marcus miller signature from fender, or maybe the jaco pastorius.or maybe the Stu Hamm Urge II (http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0191500886)??
http://www.fender.com/products/prod_images/basses/0191500886_md.jpg

BTW, nice looking Washburn. I have one of their older 4 string basses...unusual as it has a mahogany body with a flame maple top and a maple neck/fretboard.

christhemonkey
August 31st, 2006, 10:36 PM
@mattew cheers, its quite a rocky sounding bass which needless to say is far from perfect for jazz (and i haven't changed the strings since i got it a few years back :s)
The Sta Hamm looks mighty fine.
Going to go on a bass buying trip to manchester next week with a mate so will give that one a try and let you know what i think!

@complex number, i'll try some of their basses as well :p

Bezmotivnik
August 31st, 2006, 10:48 PM
or maybe the Stu Hamm Urge II??

Though I have three or four, I'm personally not a fan of active basses (even my Music Man is passive!) -- but you pretty much have to have an active circuit to make a true P/J combination work right due to the differential in output between the original Precision and Jazz pickups.

I have a Fender "American 'Hot Rodded' Precision," which was a pricey factory passive P/J combination, and Fender had to make a special set of pickups that were never used on any other Precision or Jazz bass in order to even approach output balancing -- but even with a hotter Jazz pickup and a cooler Precision pair, you have to be pretty extreme with the pickup height setup to get it right. The end effect is a bass that sounds neither like a true Precision or a true Jazz, though the combination of all pickups sounds very nice. Fender dropped it.

Most P/J combo passive basses have pickups that only cosmetically resemble actual Precision and Jazz pickups because of this imbalance.

ComplexNumber
August 31st, 2006, 10:52 PM
i'll try some of their basses as well they're often quite pricey, but well worth it. i figured that if you're intending to get a signature model, then you uintend to spend that extra bit of cash. i think that signature models aren't worth the money, and they remind me of designer labels whereby people pay for the name rather than getting anything in the way of quality. if you're intending to get some quality and good value, i would strongly recommend that you avoid the signature models ang get a warwick instead. or at least, consider a warwick. it may well turn out that you don't find a particular warwick that fits you like a glove. i mean, just because they are good quality, doesn't mean that they are right for everyone. sometimes basses choose the buyer, rather than the other way around :p

Going to go on a bass buying trip to manchester next week is that manchester, UK? is so, is there any of the best ones in the arndale centre?

christhemonkey
August 31st, 2006, 10:59 PM
It is manchester, UK yes.
and i dont know about the arndale centre sorry.
My friend is the one who knows where to go!

i have been working all summer with the intention of getting a bass, so yes, money is not (much) of an issue.

Allthough, the less i have to pay for a superior product is better :p

I have heard a lot of very good things about the Marcus Miller, the friend i am goign to manchester with has played one and found it to be outstanding.

But yeah, that is why im going on this little bass buying trip ;)

Bezmotivnik
August 31st, 2006, 11:11 PM
they're often quite pricey, but well worth it. i figured that if you're intending to get a signature model, then you uintend to spend that extra bit of cash. i think that signature models aren't worth the money, and they remind me of designer labels whereby people pay for the name rather than getting anything in the way of quality.
With Fenders, the whole "Artist Model" thing is not in itself significant. The Hamm is a US Custom Shop item, the Miller is a Fender Japan export model (which I believe is currently manufactured by Kasura) and the Dirnt is a MIM. You're not paying much, if anything, for the artist's name. FMIC simply makes a one-time contribution in the artist's name to the charity of his choice (which presumably works out to be a nice tax fiddle for both parties), and that's the end of it. FMIC insists the artist gets nothing directly. True? I dunno, but that's what they told me.

ComplexNumber
August 31st, 2006, 11:27 PM
christhemonkey
post back in this thread and let us know what bass you settle on :). i'm hoping to get a 5 string with a high C sometime in the next 6-12 months. i may even build my own if i don't have much luck finding the right one for me.

christhemonkey
August 31st, 2006, 11:54 PM
christhemonkey
post back in this thread and let us know what bass you settle on :). i'm hoping to get a 5 string with a high C sometime in the next 6-12 months. i may even build my own if i don't have much luck finding the right one for me.

Will do!
Good night
Chris.

Bezmotivnik
The pickups are Duncan designed and sound just right for the guitar and it plays great.
I've never been able to determine which Korean manufacturer makes the "Duncan Designed" (http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/duncandesign.shtml) pickups, but with a hollowbody, I can almost guarantee you that they sound better than the Fender/DeArmond "GoldTone" humbuckers. The Goldtones sound perfect on the M-77 and JetStar DeArmond solid bodies, for example, but sound downright dreadful on the otherwise nice, jazzy X-155 (http://www.dearmondguitars.com/x155.html).

(Unfortunately, the archival DeArmond site only has a few models shown.)

matthew
Just a thought...I've owned about a dozen guitars/basses over the years (only 6 right now, but one is about to be sold) and I've only bought two new...my Tele and the Squier semihollowbody. My Guild acoustic, my Washburn bass, and all my others over the years have been bought used at the music store, from a friend or from a pawn shop...oh yeah, one was from eBay, but I generally won't buy an instrument without playing it first. I have bought a lot of effects and amps that way, though.

Anyway, all that was to say don't avoid the used ones--sometimes you can find incredible bargains on amazing gear that way.

matthew
August 31st, 2006, 11:57 PM
I've never been able to determine which Korean manufacturer makes the "Duncan Designed" (http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/duncandesign.shtml) pickups,

Me either, but they do sound nice. Say, do you have one of those DeArmonds that looks kind of like a melted chocolate bar? Those were cool. :)

EDIT: found a pic...the one on the left
http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/WNAMM00/DeArmond/Seven-Star-S67-sm.jpg

Bezmotivnik
September 1st, 2006, 12:36 AM
Me either, but they do sound nice. Say, do you have one of those DeArmonds that looks kind of like a melted chocolate bar? Those were cool. :)

EDIT: found a pic...the one on the left

The one in the picture is one of the cheaper Indonesian-made "JetStar Special" versions with bolt-neck and cheaper hardware.

The Cor-Tek manufactured "JetStar" was totally different, a real top-end axe with the US GoldTones, set maple neck in a mahogany body and better fittings. Yeah, I have one, and I think you can see a bit of it in a couple of the (bad) pictures I sent you a link to just now.

The JetStar was a somewhat interpretive reissue of the Guild "Thunderbird" (not to be confused with the Gibson Thunderbird II and IV basses) which you may remember Muddy Waters playing (http://www.filmposter.ch/img/covers/2005-2-17-13-46-57-down-on-stovalls-plantation.jpg) at one point in the '60s.

ComplexNumber
September 1st, 2006, 02:47 AM
why do people play the guitar/bass/lute/whatever?

i play the bass because:

-i love the deep sexy sound
-i prefer to be in the background most of the time
-i like the symmetry of the bass - that fact that each string is a 4th apart. when i was playing both bass and guitar in parallel, the guitar would confuse me because the high E and B string are out of sync with the others, so i found myself being a semi-tone out all the time on the B and E string. i'm aware that the guitar is tuned like it is in order to make barr chords possible, but it still upset my sense of perfection and symmetry :p. i also know that however many strings i would want to add (i don't think i want to go above 5, ever), i'm reassured that the symmetry remains intact.
-i feel that the bass is a relatively unexplored instrument, despite jaco, wooten, et al. i have some cd's of songs that contain nothing but the bass guitar. although i still feel that there is some top end missing in places which would make the song complete, they still sound really good, and show that the bass can (almost) be used to compose songs that (almost) feel complete.
-bass solos sound so wonderful. i always preferred them to playing guitar solos. guitar solos are so commonplace, so they need to be brilliant beyond belief to stand out. bass solos, on the otherhand, are not that common, so they don't have to be that good to really hold the listeners attention. one of my favourite bands of all time (ie joy division, for sentimental reasons) were bass heavy and often littered their songs with really great sounding solos by peter hook. for example: on the song Day of the Lords.
-the bass is the backbone of a band.
-the bass can be equally good at melody as it is with rhythm
-i feel at home on the bass.

tom-rocking-on
September 1st, 2006, 02:22 PM
hi:p im a christian guitar player

VirtuAlex
September 1st, 2006, 03:13 PM
what's christian guitar?

matthew
September 1st, 2006, 03:20 PM
what's christian guitar?
I was going to ask something similar...how does a guitar become a Christian? <good natured laughter>

tom-rocking-on, I'm just giving you a friendly teasing. Welcome to the thread. What guitar do you play?

[off topic] Seriously, I think he means he's a guitar player who happens to be a christian, or maybe a christian who happens to play guitar, or perhaps he only plays guitar music that is intentionally focused on God...something like that anyway.

So as to keep the thread in the cafe and out of the backyard let's just avoid the whole religion topic now and move back to guitars, bass guitars, amplifiers, effects (if anyone wants to talk about them) and so on.

ComplexNumber
September 1st, 2006, 03:37 PM
let's just avoid the whole religion topic now and move back to guitars, bass guitars, amplifiers, effects (if anyone wants to talk about them) and so on.
i wholeheartedly agree.

effects (if anyone wants to talk about them)
even when i was playing guitar, i was never one for effects. i just used to play clean all the time. i think there are some effects available for bass, although i haven't heard of them being used much.

i was hoping that people would reveal why they play their chosen guitar-like instrument, but it doesn't seem like people want to. i just thought it would be interesting, thats all.

VirtuAlex
September 1st, 2006, 03:47 PM
Seriously, I think he means he's a guitar player who happens to be a christian, or maybe a christian who happens to play guitar, or perhaps he only plays guitar music that is intentionally focused on God...something like that anyway.
That's okay, I'm not against religious music. I just thought for a moment that it is guitar shaped like a cross. On the other hand to play it you would have to hold it slightly upside down, which won't be very christian... Nevermind. Just couldn't resist :)

Bezmotivnik
September 2nd, 2006, 06:15 AM
even when i was playing guitar, i was never one for effects. i just used to play clean all the time.
Yeah, it's very rare that I can encounter an effect that I think sounds better on than off. Seriously. I have a lot of effects, multi-effect units and modelers, but I use then sparingly, if at all. I get them mainly out of curiosity when they're on sale cheap. :rolleyes:

One of the things that I've noticed among young players just starting out is that distortion and compression covers up a tremendous amount of really terrible technique that they are probably unaware of, particularly in the picking hand.

Some teachers say, "start out with a Telecaster, a solid-state clean amp and a cable -- when you sound good with that, then you can consider effects, but not before." I totally get their point. Bad technique picked up early becomes habitual and hard to get rid of later.

i think there are some effects available for bass, although i haven't heard of them being used much.

There are tons of them and a lot of bass geeks (and for some reason, bass attracts a disproportionate number of complete geeks) use them, but I can't stand conspicuous ones. Bass should sound like bass.

With a great deal of restraint, effects are OK -- but I think of them as pungent spices to be used with a very light touch.

Bezmotivnik
September 3rd, 2006, 12:20 AM
despite what manufacturers and fast talking salesmen would have us believe, lots of valve systems are a complete con

A lot of the hybrid stuff using "starved tube" circuitry, particularly. The worst for this are cheap so-called "tube" recording preamps which are actually solid-state with part of the signal shunted through a tube running at too low of a plate voltage to function properly. On rec.audio.pro, these are pejoratively known as "toob" devices.

If you want to see a really strange hybrid concept (http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/valvetronix/vtoverview_inside_story.htm), check out Vox's "Valve Reactor" amps.

I've even had EEs check out that page's tech description and none of them have been able to make the slightest sense out of it. :rolleyes:

I was so curious, I even bought a new one just to see if I could figure it out. I couldn't. Vox circuits fascinate me, but their QC is awful; of the last five Vox amps I've bought, all five were conspicously in need of bench work right out of the box, all with different problems. I finally gave up and fixed the last one myself rather than schlep it back for another new one.

I repaired the problem (reverb circuit feedback), but never figured out the rest of that handjive, such as the "virtual" output transformer, while I was inside.

Here's a GIANT, almost life-sized .jpg (http://media.zzounds.com/media/brand,zzounds/VOXVR301-b5afc15b0b2ea3325c5fa763d11f45b7.jpg) of the unit. Having front-mounted controls and being an interesting amp to look at, I kept it as it fits in a bedside bookcase, so I won't trip over it in the bedroom when I'm too lazy to go fight the mess in the studio.

and all the talk about spending 100's of pounds on interconnects and leads is a waste and does not result in much improvement in audio quality.
well, my question to you is: do you believe that spending that little bit extra on leads between guitar and amp results in a better sound? i don't believe it does.
You're right.

Check this page (http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/cords/index.php) for a (somewhat oversimplified) explanation.

ComplexNumber
September 3rd, 2006, 01:47 AM
Yeah, it's very rare that I can encounter an effect that I think sounds better on than off. Seriously. I have a lot of effects, multi-effect units and modelers, but I use then sparingly, if at all. I get them mainly out of curiosity when they're on sale cheap i just think there are of wow factor only. its the audio equivelent of XGL :p. i find both to be a waste of time. as for the effects, i think it makes guitarists rely too much on the amp rather than their own skill (if i've explained that correctly), and gets them into bad habits. i think guitarist should rely more on themseleves to find a good tone/sound rather than using artificial embellishments to make the sound that they produce sound good.

One of the things that I've noticed among young players just starting out is that distortion and compression covers up a tremendous amount of really terrible technique that they are probably unaware of, particularly in the picking hand. i agree. i think using distortion etc sometimes acts as a cover to disguise their own lack of skill.

There are tons of them and a lot of bass geeks (and for some reason, bass attracts a disproportionate number of complete geeks) use them, but I can't stand conspicuous ones. Bass should sound like bass. i agree too, although i often play a bit like peter hook (but without the skill of peter hook) from joy division/new order, in that, i sometimes play the bass like a lead guitar because i like to play solos as well as rhythm.

Check this page (http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/cords/index.php) for a (somewhat oversimplified) explanation. cheers for that :). an interesting read indeed.

muchtomydelight
September 3rd, 2006, 05:20 AM
I have a Carvin DC400MW, an ibanez AS73, and a mesa/boogie stiletto. I also have a 99 model Stagemaster (top of the line squire- if there is such) and a marshall mini stack in white from the 80's.

and of course the kimball EP3.

they are all at the practice spot at the moment but here is a pic I took of the carvin and the mesa:
http://www.atprocks.com/carvin.jpg

and the ibanez site with the AS73:
http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=AS83

and the ministack (dont have a pic of it- had to google for one):
http://melband.com.au/shop/images/uploads/MarsMiniStack.jpg

and the kimball:
http://www.atprocks.com/kimballEP3.jpg

paul cooke
September 3rd, 2006, 08:43 AM
Bezmotivnik: replied to ComplexNumber

You're right.

Mind you, make sure you get decent leads that will survive the rigours of stage work... being trodden on, pulled out at an angle etc.

They must have proper strain relief and also be easily repairable. Too many leads these days have moulded on jacks.

I used to make them up from cable and plugs way back when I was a roadie.

Bezmotivnik
September 3rd, 2006, 09:02 AM
I used to make them up from cable and plugs way back when I was a roadie.
I still do.

I'm ecstatic that I finally got a line on a decent price for bulk metal plugs. Next week I have a couple of dozen coming in, so I'll have enough to at last make enough patch cables for my studio.

I can hardly wait! :)

Bezmotivnik
September 5th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Let me be the first to report a near-washout on hot deals at the annual Guitar Center Labor Day Sale. :(

I have always made major killings in previous year's sales, but not this time. I took US$2500 in cash and only wound up spending US$16.80! Pathetic! [-(

Brunellus
September 5th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Let me be the first to report a near-washout on hot deals at the annual Guitar Center Labor Day Sale. :(

I have always made major killings in previous year's sales, but not this time. I took US$2500 in cash and only wound up spending US$16.80! Pathetic! [-(
buy yourself a System76 machine with the balance.

Bezmotivnik
September 6th, 2006, 07:05 AM
buy yourself a System76 machine with the balance.
Eh. Nah. In the wildly unlikely event I'd ever pay real money for a computer, it'd have to be something that would at least run my peripherals. :-k

matthew
September 6th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I've been out of town for a few days, but I'm glad to see the conversation continuing here.
Yeah, it's very rare that I can encounter an effect that I think sounds better on than off. Seriously. I have a lot of effects, multi-effect units and modelers, but I use then sparingly, if at all. I get them mainly out of curiosity when they're on sale cheap. :rolleyes:

One of the things that I've noticed among young players just starting out is that distortion and compression covers up a tremendous amount of really terrible technique that they are probably unaware of, particularly in the picking hand.

Some teachers say, "start out with a Telecaster, a solid-state clean amp and a cable -- when you sound good with that, then you can consider effects, but not before." I totally get their point. Bad technique picked up early becomes habitual and hard to get rid of later.

With a great deal of restraint, effects are OK -- but I think of them as pungent spices to be used with a very light touch.I wholeheartedly agree...especially the Tele and amp bit. ;) I have a ton of effects, mostly bought cheap on eBay (back when that was possible) or in pawn shops. Most of them are the sort of thing I would use for the bridge on one song in a 20 song set. :) However, there's nothing like an old bucket brigade analog delay when you want it, or a Marshall ShredMaster, or... you get the idea. I will say, I am partial to analog stuff over digital, but I admit that probably just personal preference.

For the most part, though, I stand by my earlier statement...tone in is your hands.

Check this page (http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/cords/index.php) for a (somewhat oversimplified) explanation.I've always like the GuitarNuts site. Good stuff.

Bezmotivnik
September 7th, 2006, 02:15 PM
I wholeheartedly agree...especially the Tele and amp bit. ;)

The business about the Telecaster and the solid-state clean amp (just to clarify) is not that this has any great innate sound -- in fact it's quite gruesome -- but rather that such a rig is absolutely unforgiving. You will hear every nuance of bad technique and you will also learn to control the guitar tone and overall sound to a remarkable degree by the use of your hands and pick.

Contrast this with overcompressed distortion. I was listening to some meatstick kid at Guitar Center trying to be a Nu-Metal shred god with the wall of noise thing, and when I looked closely for a moment noticed that he was actually missing the string with his pick much of the time, but the left-hand hammering was enough to gate up a signal. You couldn't even tell, and I'm quite certain that he couldn't.:rolleyes:

I have a ton of effects, mostly bought cheap on eBay (back when that was possible)

I've pretty much stopped doing eBay for anything. About 85% of all the stuff I've bought in all categories has been willfully misrepresented, including all but one of the effects I bought. Most "like new!" aren't, and have shown signs of abuse, repairs (particularly from battery acid damage), botched mods or clumsily repackaging used items to be sold as "new, factory sealed!" I doubt most buyers notice. Buyers love to be deceived for some mysterious reason, and that's the sad truth.

Anyway, if you watch the sales here you can usually get gear cheaper new and under factory warranty than you can beat to death from some eBay creep.

I will say, I am partial to analog stuff over digital, but I admit that probably just personal preference.
I've come to the conclusion that digital stuff is typically so complex to program that only the most persistent, intelligent or experienced user will ever get anything really worthwhile out of them -- but someone who knows his stuff can make them sound remarkable. I have a friend who just retired after about twenty years as an in-house music producer for MGM and Sony in Hollywood. He can get some incredible sounds out of the standard modeler and digital stuff he had in his little scratch studio at home. A lot of these home scratch tracks wound up in movie and TV series soundtracks, though his stuff was of course usually done at the big LA studios. If you're good, you can get great sound nearly anywhere.

Additionally, people get discouraged when they really listen to the factory presets on this digital gear, which is consistently hideous and overdone, no matter what brand or device. The reason is that these factory presets are there merely as demos for in-store environments and exaggerate the effects to cut through the usual cacaphony of Saturday morning at Guitar Center. Then, when you get it home in a less chaotic listening situation, it sounds so awful you just want to weep.

In order to do anything really useful with most digital gear, you have to go into "deep editing," and that's usually only practical with a computer interface. Once you open up the possibilities onscreen, they're just mind-boggling and more than a little intimidating. I just picked up one of these Yamaha Magicstomp MkIIs (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-Magicstomp-II-Guitar-Effects-Processor?sku=151560) and have been truly stunned by the extent of the settings available for editing (http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/effect/magicstomp_en3.pdf). Thirty-one (31) pages of fine print just listing them!

For the most part, though, I stand by my earlier statement...tone in is your hands.
For a long time I thought that was just hippy nonsense, an excuse from people who didn't want to think about the objective differences between gear, but in fact it's largely true. As you know, I have a lot of gear, but I find myself unconsciously changing how I play to make every different guitar sound the "default" way, and it's surprisingly successful until I catch myself doing it. ;)

I've always like the GuitarNuts site. Good stuff.
I haven't looked at it in a long time, but I keep this cable article bookmarked because the subject always seems to come up and posting a link saves me the hassle of arguing with someone who's deluded himself into thinking he gets magic sound from a sixty dollar "pro" cable. It's doubly hilarious from bassists! :mrgreen:

matthew
September 7th, 2006, 03:33 PM
The business about the Telecaster and the solid-state clean amp (just to clarify) is not that this has any great innate sound -- in fact it's quite gruesome -- but rather that such a rig is absolutely unforgiving. You will hear every nuance of bad technique and you will also learn to control the guitar tone and overall sound to a remarkable degree by the use of your hands and pick.Teles are incredibly unforgiving and that's precisely why I rank them at the top for learning. I totally agree with your point. I will say that there are very few solid state amps I actually like for general use, but for this application they are a good idea.

Contrast this with overcompressed distortion. I was listening to some meatstick kid at Guitar Center trying to be a Nu-Metal shred god with the wall of noise thing, and when I looked closely for a moment noticed that he was actually missing the string with his pick much of the time, but the left-hand hammering was enough to gate up a signal. You couldn't even tell, and I'm quite certain that he couldn't.:rolleyes: LOL

I've pretty much stopped doing eBay for anything. About 85% of all the stuff I've bought in all categories has been willfully misrepresented, including all but one of the effects I bought. Most "like new!" aren't, and have shown signs of abuse, repairs (particularly from battery acid damage), botched mods or clumsily repackaging used items to be sold as "new, factory sealed!" I doubt most buyers notice. Buyers love to be deceived for some mysterious reason, and that's the sad truth.

Anyway, if you watch the sales here you can usually get gear cheaper new and under factory warranty than you can beat to death from some eBay creep.I haven't got a good effects deal on eBay in at least 5 years. I did pick up the Squier Starfire on eBay though.

For a long time I thought that was just hippy nonsense, an excuse from people who didn't want to think about the objective differences between gear, but in fact it's largely true. As you know, I have a lot of gear, but I find myself unconsciously changing how I play to make every different guitar sound the "default" way, and it's surprisingly successful until I catch myself doing it. ;) I was doubtful, then I once snuck backstage and caught a glimpse of one of my favorite guitarists just goofing around with someone's cheap-o strat knockoff and little PigNose amp...and they sounded just as good as they did through their custom guitar and Marshall stack. That convinced me that most of the tone thing comes through practice and experience...however, there is a certain indescribable quality that comes out in how I play when I use a certain favorite guitar or a specific setup, maybe it's all psychological, but I think we're allowed to have our preferences as long as don't deceive ourselves that we need Super Reverbs turned up to 10 with a Dumble sitting next to it and a TS-9 to sound like Stevie Ray Vaughn...it was in his hands and his soul, not his gear. Buy the stuff if you like it and enjoy it, but don't think it will realistically get you substantially closer to his tone or vibe.

Someone once said that you can't play the blues on a guitar that's never been in a pawn shop so I bought my Guild acoustic from a pawn shop. :D Do you think that's what they meant? :rolleyes:

Bezmotivnik
September 7th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Someone once said that you can't play the blues on a guitar that's never been in a pawn shop so I bought my Guild acoustic from a pawn shop. :D Do you think that's what they meant? :rolleyes:
I dunno. The only blues axiom I know of for sure is my own, which is that I never, ever want to hear blues from anyone who hasn't been dead for at least twenty years. ;)

Do you remember Howlin' Wolf's bass on eBay? It was amazing. All his bassists were missing gigs because their basses were in pawn, so he got one he kept at his house. It was a 1952 Precision that was painted red with a pickguard made out of linoleum flooring. Amazing, funky axe! It was genuine and authenticated, but it only went for a few thousand.

paul cooke
September 8th, 2006, 09:33 PM
I've discovered this fantastic arm exercise for seniors... [of which I'm almost one]... to build muscle strength in the arms and shoulders. It seems so easy, so I thought I'd pass it on.

The article suggested doing it three days a week.

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side. With a 5-lb. potato sack in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides, and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, then relax.

Each day, you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer. After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb. potato sacks. Then 50-lb. potato sacks, and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb. potato sack in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute.

Once you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each of the sacks.

also ran into this excellent http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5OHPgne1S4
video on youtube...

oh and this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atCF5kyR6J4 should be mandatory watching for all youtube users before they can post their own videos...

have fun... my left hand pinkie is killing me... I've just been working on the "permutations" exercise... doesn't help that I've sliced a chunk off the tip of my ring finger and have got a "band-aid" over it either...

mind you, it could be worse... a friend of mine plays Bass and he's lost two fingers off his left hand.

mmmichael
September 10th, 2006, 06:06 AM
I started learning on my dad's old acoustic about thirty years ago. When the soundboard started separating from the rest of the body I decided to go out and find a guitar of my own. I found an Ibanez acoustic, which I love. The action is great and it has a sweet tone but can still project.
I later picked up a (very) cheap Les Paul knockoff and then moved on to a Fender Strat. Circumstances forced me to sell the Strat, and I still miss the feel of that maple fingerboard. A while later I was interested in the versatility of a semi-hollow electric, and I ended up falling for another Ibanez. I've played some Ibanezes that I didn't really care for, but the two that I own are as good as any guitars I've tried.
Time passes and life happens and after a while my guitars were thought of more than played. I haven't even plugged in the electric in a few years. But a few months back (I'm not trying to bring religion into the thread) my church found that they could no longer afford the services of an organist. I volunteered to play my acoustic, on the condition that the congregation wouldn't mind singing some old spirituals and gospel tunes. It's gone over really well and I'm having fun with the guitar again. Discovering this thread has made me decide that I'm going to take out the electric and plug it in.
I don't mean to go on, I just wanted to thank all of you for this great thread.
Here's my Ibanez with my old friend TC.

ps does anyone else think Robbie Robertson is fantastic?

matthew
September 10th, 2006, 08:03 AM
I started learning on my dad's old acoustic about thirty years ago...Time passes...a few months back my church found that they could no longer afford the services of an organist. I volunteered to play my acoustic...It's gone over really well and I'm having fun with the guitar again. Discovering this thread has made me decide that I'm going to take out the electric and plug it in.
I don't mean to go on, I just wanted to thank all of you for this great thread.

ps does anyone else think Robbie Robertson is fantastic?I'm glad you joined in--thanks for a great story and cool pic. Let us know how pulling out the electric goes.

I think Robbie Robertson is very good. I picked up a copy of The Last Dance chronicling The Band's last concert and he impressed me!

ComplexNumber
September 10th, 2006, 11:52 AM
a friend of mine plays Bass and he's lost two fingers off his left hand.
hopefully not from just playing the bass :D.

mmmichael
you'll find that an electric is CONSIDERABLY easier to fret notes. it really is a breeze compared to the acoustic.

as for finger exercises to improve finger independence and/or strength, i think The Spider is great one to limber up before playing.

freddy metz
September 10th, 2006, 03:40 PM
does anyone know how i can player guitar pro files in ubuntu?

freddy metz
September 10th, 2006, 03:49 PM
double post - ignore

Malac
September 10th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Been playing now 26 years ( professionally for 18 ).
(The photos aren't backwards, I'm a Lefty) :-D

Equipment :
Guitars
Fender Telecaster
Which used to be a "Custom Bound Sunburst" but I replaced the white scratchplate with a black "Broadcaster" copy and painted it white.
Changed the pickups for a pair of coil-tapped humbuckers from a "mashed" Gibson Les Paul. I have re-cut the bridge to take this.
Did this at the time because I had a wonderful Gibson S.G. which I wanted to match the tone of better.
However that was stolen a few months after doing the mods. Shame as It was the most wonderful guitar I have ever owned.
Fender Stratocaster
All original except for replacing bridge pickup with dimarzio humbucker.
And messing with the bridge to avoid snagging on vibrato arm use.
Tanglewood Acoustic
Cheap and cheerful, reasonable guitar for studio work.

Danelectro Bass (Stock Picture)
Exactly as pictured but mine is in the back of a cupboard, only comes out on rare Bass deps.

Amps
HIWATT Custom 100 Head
Absolutely brilliant early seventies version. Every Marshall player I've ever let play through it says it's better than their own Marshall. (Wonderful).
HIWATT 4x12
80's version of the classic straight 4x12.

HIWATT Lead 50R
Good little combo but not from their best era.

Ampeg B-200R
Decent small but powerful Bass Combo for my bass deps.

Pedals
Boss Super OverDrive.
Boss Blues Driver
Jim Dunlop Wah-Wah

Bezmotivnik
September 10th, 2006, 07:28 PM
I think Robbie Robertson is very good. I picked up a copy of The Last Dance chronicling The Band's last concert and he impressed me!
I haven't listened to anything by him in many, many years, but he always impressed me by the restrained taste and musicality of his playing. In pop, that's what really counts.

matthew
September 10th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Been playing now 26 years ( professionally for 18 ).
(The photos aren't backwards, I'm a Lefty) :-DNice stuff! I'm a bit jealous of the Hiwatt gear, but I have to confess I wouldn't have anywhere I could play it right now.

Bezmotivnik
September 10th, 2006, 09:18 PM
I'm curious about that B-200R. I haven't tried one yet. I have a B-100R (http://ampeg.com/products/diamond_blue_bass/b-100r.html) that I got new for $269.99 at a Guitar Center sale and it seems to be a fine little amp -- though it is quite different from the B-200R internally (both are nothing like the "flip-top" B15 Ampegs they outwardly resemble, of course). It's from the newer Yellville facility which Ampeg opened to get away from the dreadful production problems at the Crate/SLM plant.

My favorite small Ampeg is the BA-112 (http://ampeg.com/products/bass_amp_series/ba112.html), which is fairly rare as it is so wildly overpriced (US$500 MSRP) compared to the much more popular BA-115. I got one new for $159.99 on very long sale and love it, as does everyone I've encountered who has one.

My big stuff is mostly SWR Pro Series - 750X (http://www.swrsound.com/products/search.php?partno=4400500000), 550X (http://www.swrsound.com/products/search.php?partno=4400700000), Black Beauty combo (http://www.swrsound.com/products/search.php?partno=4420300000), Goliath cabs (http://www.swrsound.com/products/search.php?partno=4410500800) and a Rabe-era Basic Black (http://www.soundfabrik.com/grafik/swr/390.html). Here's part of it (http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/434e1f65z465b6960/e003scd/__sr_/73c5scd.jpg?phojHBFBAw5RXw4d) in situ.

IYY
September 11th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Do any of you guys know of an open source guitar tuner program that'll run on Ubuntu? Something like APTuner ( http://www.aptuner.com ) for Windows (which runs just fine on Wine, btw).

paul cooke
September 11th, 2006, 05:17 AM
sourceforge is your friend... that and synaptic on your computer... gtkguitune is in the ubuntu repositories (universe).

and a search on sourceforge brings up others (several java ones)

Bezmotivnik
September 11th, 2006, 09:27 AM
gtkguitune
Any others with strobe?

G-Tune (http://www.jhc-software.com/gtune.htm) is absolutely great, but it's Windows-only (which is OK for me personally, as my studio box is limited to Win98SE because Tom Oberheim went broke before he could pay the programmers who were holding the W2000/XP drivers for his SeaSound frontend I use -- this caused those working on a Linux set to lose heart).

paul cooke
September 11th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Any others with strobe?

G-Tune (http://www.jhc-software.com/gtune.htm) is absolutely great, but it's Windows-only

are you sure about that... it appears to work using Wine... not sure about getting an input though... as I haven't got any proper inputs setup for this box.

Bezmotivnik
September 11th, 2006, 10:40 PM
are you sure about that... it appears to work using Wine... not sure about getting an input though... as I haven't got any proper inputs setup for this box.
Same here.

Conceivably it would work under Wine, but I have no way of telling. To be honest, I've never tried running anything under Wine as it seems from everything I've read to typically be sort of buggy & slow, which would seem to defeat a strobe tuner. :-k It also would be pointless if you're running several Windows machines anyway.

Bezmotivnik
September 14th, 2006, 12:07 AM
C'mon, we can't let this tread die! :frown:

Nycthbris
September 14th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Does anybody know of a good metronome program for ubuntu?

matthew
September 14th, 2006, 08:52 AM
C'mon, we can't let this tread die! :frown:To help spark conversation, please pick a famous guitar you like, post a picture and comment on it.

Maybe from here? http://www.edromanguitars.com/featured/celebrityguitargallery.htm

My submission is below. It's Nigel Tufnel's guitar. When you combine it with his specially modified amplifier sonic mayhem is certain to ensue.

ComplexNumber
September 14th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Does anybody know of a good metronome program for ubuntu?
i use gtick all the time.

please pick a famous guitar you like, post a picture and comment on it. i suspect you mean someone's customised guitar, but i don't have a particular one in mind. as for guitar types, mine has to be the archtop. i think it looks like the stylish of all and it has a certain classic and oldy-worldly charm about it. i tend to like the real wood look these days rather than the go faster stripes (as seen on your guitar of choice, matthew :p). i could tell you that the worst bass i've ever sen, though - bootsy collins' bass. way too flashy for my tastes.

matthew
September 14th, 2006, 11:26 AM
i could tell you that the worst bass i've ever sen, though - bootsy collins' bass. way too flashy for my tastes.You mean this one...how can you not love this one? LOL
http://celebrityrockstarguitars.com/rock/collins_files/bootsy.jpg

On a more serious note, I like jazz archtops too.

There are more to laugh/appreciate/argue over at http://celebrityrockstarguitars.com/

ComplexNumber
September 14th, 2006, 11:36 AM
matthew
yes, i mean like that one :p. thats among the least flashiest of his basses, though. i've seen some of his basses that have about 15(ok, slight exeggeration. they actual have 8-10 pickups) pickups, a similar shape, and colours to leave a person rushing for the sickbowl.

in the link that you've provided, some of those guitars are really outrageous, but its good to see that some musicians like normal looking guitars :p

matthew
September 14th, 2006, 11:46 AM
matthew
yes, i mean like that one :p. thats among the least flashiest of his basses, though. i've seen some of his basses that have about 15(ok, slight exeggeration. they actual have 8-10 pickups) pickups, a similar shape, and colours to leave a person rushing for the sickbowl.:pYeah, but they match his outfits so well. :D
http://images.warner.de/images-artists/eastwest/Bootsy_Collins/61801/107166.jpg

i'm having a gander at the link that you've provided. some of those guitars are really outrageous, but its good to see that some musicians like normal looking guitars :pI tend to like stuff like Clapton's old "fool" guitar that I use for my avatar, but the ones I own are all really conservative looking because I generally feel more comfortable with them. I wonder what that says about me...I don't want to know. ;)

ComplexNumber
September 14th, 2006, 11:53 AM
everything in that photo leaves me rushing for the sickbowl ;)

I tend to like stuff like Clapton's old "fool" guitar that I use for my avatar, but the ones I own are all really conservative looking because I generally feel more comfortable with them. I wonder what that says about me...I don't want to know hehe i guess it merely means that you are quite arty but tend to be practical ;)

almostlinux
September 14th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Hi guys ...

I've been playing guitar on and off for the last 5 years..

I have a Ibanez RG 370 DX/Boss GT8/and a tiny Marshall Amp :)
It's no fun without a band though ...:-({|=

Bezmotivnik
September 14th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Yeah, but they match his outfits so well.

Proto-bling.

Bezmotivnik
September 14th, 2006, 05:10 PM
the ones I own are all really conservative looking because I generally feel more comfortable with them.
Once of my rules for gigging players is, "Never be upstaged by your equipment."

Bootsy was never upstaged by his gear, because there was a consistent, totally insane group look based on total out-there-ness and general mania. A black Precision would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

Also, if you're a geezer (or "old geezer" in Brtish parlance), you can't show up with wack gear and not look doubly ridiculous. Looking ridiculous is not the object. I would never be seen with anything but very conservative, typical pro gear onstage -- but at home and in the studio where no one can see me, my gear is often strange-looking, or at least strange-colored, because they're great axes I got long deals on because they were, say, candy-apple blue. :-&

And yes, stage appearance and presence is at least twice as important as how you play, in most instances.

Speaking of blindingly-hideous-but-great axes, when this monstrosity (http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/4/3/0/229430.jpg) drops another hundred bucks or two, I'm buying. :biggrin: I played one the other day. This is a third-generation Toronado (Cor-Tek contract). The pickups are Duncan '59 Vintage (reverse-coil option) at the neck and a Duncan Pearly Gates bridge. Neck's a Jazzmaster C pattern.

The vomitous green as been Photoshopped to a little more gold color in this shot, but in the flesh it's just shocking.

matthew
September 14th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Hi guys ...

I've been playing guitar on and off for the last 5 years..

I have a Ibanez RG 370 DX/Boss GT8/and a tiny Marshall Amp :)
It's no fun without a band though ...:-({|=Welcome! Glad you are here hanging out with us.

Once of my rules for gigging players is, "Never be upstaged by your equipment."

Bootsy was never upstaged by his gear, because there was a consistent, totally insane group look based on total out-there-ness and general mania. A black Precision would have stuck out like a sore thumb.Isn't that the truth. A black Precision standing next to George Clinton while a UFO descends from the ceiling...not possible. For us mere mortals, your rule is key. I have never heard it phrased so clearly, but I have always had a sort of tendency that way I guess. It makes perfect sense.

And yes, stage appearance and presence is at least twice as important as how you play, in most instances.Unfortunately. That's why I don't enjoy some players live...Eric Johnson comes to mind. I once saw him play on a G3 dvd, Satch and Vai were rocking out having fun and EJ was standing off to the side with headphone cans on his head and he stared down at the fretboard most of the time. Great chops, not a great show for him. (Disclaimer: that's the only time I have seen him "live.")

Speaking of blindingly-hideous-but-great axes, when this monstrosity (http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/4/3/0/229430.jpg) drops another hundred bucks or two, I'm buying. I think I'm in love... :) ...must...have...racing...stripes...

GarethMB
September 14th, 2006, 08:18 PM
i think using distortion etc sometimes acts as a cover to disguise their own lack of skill.

I disagree completely. I'm a bit of a technique Nazi, always playing properly even if it makes it harder for myself (because I'll improve overall). I find that if I'm playing badly then distortion makes it sound worse. Often resulting in me practising solos clean.

mmmichael
September 15th, 2006, 05:12 AM
as for finger exercises to improve finger independence and/or strength, i think The Spider is great one to limber up before playing.

I'm not familiar with The Spider. What is it and where does one find it?

davebgimp
September 15th, 2006, 05:08 PM
I'd really like to plug my bass into my computer. Does anyone have a clue on the equipment/apps I'd need?

ComplexNumber
September 15th, 2006, 06:10 PM
I disagree completely. I'm a bit of a technique Nazi, always playing properly even if it makes it harder for myself (because I'll improve overall). I find that if I'm playing badly then distortion makes it sound worse. Often resulting in me practising solos clean.
what do you mean "I disagree completely"? :confused:. so what you're saying is that guitarists NEVER use distortion as a cover? please note that i said "sometimes". you obviously misread my post.

I'm not familiar with The Spider. What is it and where does one find it? its a finger independence exercise. this will tell you about it:
http://www.guitarists.net/lessons/view.php?id=89

Bezmotivnik
September 15th, 2006, 06:50 PM
this will tell you about it:
http://www.guitarists.net/lessons/view.php?id=89
Great site!

Bezmotivnik
September 15th, 2006, 06:59 PM
I'd really like to plug my bass into my computer. Does anyone have a clue on the equipment/apps I'd need?
In bare theory, you can run a passive bass into a soundcard's mono, high-impedance line-in, but it will sound pretty hideous. :frown:

Brunellus
September 15th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Proto-bling.
or maybe Ur-bling

paul cooke
September 16th, 2006, 05:28 PM
In bare theory, you can run a passive bass into a soundcard's mono, high-impedance line-in, but it will sound pretty hideous. :frown:

I have a little practice amp that in addition to the headphone out also has a jack out so you can plug it into a normal amp stack (it has onboard effects). Then I use my "mic in"` on my soundcard and set the mix accordingly so that it isn't distorted. That way I can boogie along over mp3s (usually rips of practice tracks that have Bass on left and the right sans Bass (pan the stereo accordingly in the mix for pcm)) and listen in mono on the headphones. Also means I can record myself at the same time to check just how badly I suck sometimes...

this is the practice amp... it actually sounds nice and mellow.

http://www.danelectro.com/Danomiscproductpage.jpg
better description here. Danelectro don't exactly sell themselves very well.
http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/076913/details.html

Bezmotivnik
September 18th, 2006, 01:53 AM
I swore to myself I wouldn't do this, but...

"In a world where it's harder and harder to get your money's worth out of expensive gear, what cheapy article -- amp, effect or axe -- surprised you with its quality?"

THAT should keep the thread going for a while! ;)

I don't know if we ought to make a distinction here between more expensive gear that showed up deeply discounted for some reason and stuff that has a low MSRP to begin with...but let's see where this one goes.

jimscafe
September 18th, 2006, 04:12 AM
OK, my Mexican Strat - I was all set to buy an American Strat in New York on one of my occassional trips there but found the Mexican suited me better - and I love it.

maniacmusician
September 18th, 2006, 04:28 AM
ah, love this.

I bought a cheap-*** no-name stratocaster on ebay. it was about 30 bucks, then 20 for shipping. It sounds fabulous, I love it, it is my favorite guitar; I named her Alexis

I admit, sometimes it's difficult to coax the sound I want out of the guitar, but I like a finicky woman. makes it interesting. But in all seriousness; I would gladly shell out $500+ for this guitar, I love it.

Bezmotivnik
September 18th, 2006, 05:54 AM
OK, my Mexican Strat - I was all set to buy an American Strat in New York on one of my occassional trips there but found the Mexican suited me better - and I love it.
In most respects, the Mexican ones are technically closer to the vintage ones (for better or worse). You really have to watch QC on them, though.

Here's a link (http://reviews.photoweborama.com/allthingsguitar1/fendertour/index.html) you might find interesting. My buddy, Mark Wong, was invited to a private tour of the Ensenada plant about two years ago. All the info was vetted by Ensenada management.

Bezmotivnik
September 18th, 2006, 07:29 AM
As Matthew knows, I have a lot of axes -- new, vintage and in-between. Becoming increasingly disappointed by the output I've been buying from Fender (US) and Gibson, I've been dipping into cheap axes and finding them to be much better values.

Entirely out of curiosity, I got one of these (http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=40668&Category=Electric_Guitars) recently and am impressed to bits. I even contacted the president of the importer, Classic Instruments, for some details on it. It's loosely based on the old Gibson Melody Maker DC profile and the pickups are the identical German Hofner "Diamond" humbuckers that are used on the $3000 German hollowbodies. Very hot and tight-sounding, with four-way switching. The body is basswood (I'm finding that I'm liking basswood bodies more and more for the weight advantage) with a perfectly set, bound maple neck with a scarf-jointed, MOTO-laminated head and (Chinese contract, naturally) Grovers. The color is remarkably beautiful and the thing plays and sounds incredibly. Very resonant and powerful.

MusiciansFriend.Com briefly had these for $149.99, shipped! MSRP was $550 (8thStreet's MSRP is incorrect for this one).

There are a few problems, notably the mounting of the somewhat unsuitable pickup switch, which required a pretty ugly hackjob in the control cavity. This has to be carefully redone and remounted to be 100% roadworthy. There were a couple of finish flaws, but nothing worse than what I've been seeing lately on $4000 Gibsons. :rolleyes:

There are a couple of fret-seating flaws, but nothing fatal.

Apparently, these were old stock from somewhere, as the metal was all lightly tarnished, but cleaned up perfectly with Simichrome polish.

There is a P-90 version (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hofner-Colorama-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=511784) as well, and MusiciansFriend.Com are blowing out the last ones of these in black for $129.99 shipped. I just ordered one tonight. Though the site says that these are German pickups as well, they aren't. They are contract items from Korea, I believe from Tesla, which I know to do Hofner contract builds. Tesla, a high-end custom builder, makes the most exotic pickups I have ever seen for the Japanese domestic market, BTW, really radical stuff.

freak4pc
September 18th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Yo ... i'm new here... my name is Shai, im from israel , i play about two years ...

My gear is :
Guitars:
- Jackson PC-3 1999 Phil Collen Signature (http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/freak4pc/Guitars%20i%20owned/JacksonPC-3PhilCollenSignature.jpg)
- Ibnaez RG 470 1992 w/ new neck (http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/freak4pc/MySpace%20Thumbs/MeWithBob2.jpg)
Amp:
- Fender FM212R 100w 2X12" Speakers (http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/freak4pc/Guitar%20and%20Bass%20Gear/FenderFM212R_Front.jpg)
Effect board:
- Dunlop GCB-95 Original Crybaby
- Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
- Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer
- Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
- Digitech XDD Digital Delay

matthew
September 18th, 2006, 09:16 AM
"In a world where it's harder and harder to get your money's worth out of expensive gear, what cheapy article -- amp, effect or axe -- surprised you with its quality?"I paid a little over $20 for a Smokey Amp (http://www.smokeyamps.com/) (mine has a red plastic case). It's a little mini amp designed for practicing and goofing around with. It has an input jack, an output jack, and a speaker. No controls. I really dig it! --especially with a fairly new battery. I've used it to drive a 4x12 cabinet (not incredibly loudly, but adequate for having some fun) just to see if it could do it. Mostly, it lives next to my guitars for those moments when I want to play but the kids are sleeping.

Yo ... i'm new here... my name is Shai, im from israel , i play about two years ...Hi, Shai. Welcome!

matthew
September 18th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Here's a link (http://reviews.photoweborama.com/allthingsguitar1/fendertour/index.html) you might find interesting. My buddy, Mark Wong, was invited to a private tour of the Ensenada plant about two years ago. All the info was vetted by Ensenada management.I didn't notice this the first time. Great link! Thanks.

Bezmotivnik
September 18th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Shai's effects are very sensible...and speaking of effects, here's one of those bargains again:

The "Tubulator" (http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/9/7/8/238978.jpg)! =D>

This is one that Mark Wong was nuts about for years (he has at least three, probably more), so when MusiciansFriend.Com had them on long sale for $11.99, I gave in and bagged one with a larger order.

It's a lot more interesting than I would have thought. It was a design apparently from Kenny Segall and the late Charlie Stringer [I just emailed Kenny for more info on that]. It somehow wound up being incorporated into the otherwise very undistinguished Arion line of effects, sold particularly in Japan were it's a very popular overdrive pedal, with mod sites and the usual fanboy stuff.

It's a rather simple, second-generation stomp made in Malaysia with large passives and through-board construction. Here's a shot of the PCB (http://www.photoweborama.com/posts/tubeu.jpg) from Mark's site. It has the usual 4558DD dual OpAmp and clipping diodes typical of these designs.

The interesting part is that it's not an example of the current third-generation stomp using robotic surface-mount production with microminiature passives like the new line of DigiTech analog effects like the wildly popular "Bad Monkey (http://www.digitech.com/products/BadMonkey.htm#)" do.

As such, the "Tubulator" is among the dwindling number of stomps that can be user modded with easy diode and capacitor changes. It's also a lot more rugged than you'd expect for a plastic-cased stomp, though I don't know if EMF shielding is a problem or not in electrically-noisy environments.

Bezmotivnik
September 18th, 2006, 10:16 AM
I didn't notice this the first time. Great link! Thanks.
Dig around on that site until you find his guitar wallpaper shots (http://photoweborama.com/guitars/). He's a really great guitar photographer -- and NO Photoshop! :biggrin: He's fanatical about that.

matthew
September 18th, 2006, 10:25 AM
As such, the "Tubulator" is among the dwindling number of stomps that can be user modded with easy diode and capacitor changes. It's also a lot more rugged than you'd expect for a plastic-cased stomp, though I don't know if EMF shielding is a problem or not in electrically-noisy environments.I've modded a couple of effects, but not much. I generally buy pedals I already like the sound of that are roadworthy--I have a ton of Boss stuff going back to the early 1980's that still works great. I like things that will stand up to road abuse and never blink. Here in Morocco effects are few and far between and expensive when you do find them. However, the article looked interesting. I know a lot of people were doing something similar with the "tank" series that Ibanez put out, the plastic cased TS-10 could be modded to conform to (or at least get really close to) the TS-9/808 circuit for example.

Dig around on that site until you find his guitar wallpaper shots. He's a really great guitar photographer -- and NO Photoshop! :biggrin: He's fanatical about that.I found 'em--great stuff!

Bezmotivnik
September 18th, 2006, 10:57 AM
I've modded a couple of effects, but not much. I generally buy pedals I already like the sound of that are roadworthy
That's pretty much my policy, but a lot of people like to doink around with the circuits, and you can't do that with something that has passives the size of grains of sand, and that's getting to be literally true.#-o

I know a lot of people were doing something similar with the "tank" series that Ibanez put out, the plastic cased TS-10 could be modded to conform to (or at least get really close to) the TS-9/808 circuit for example.

I'm pretty skeptical of this whole Tubescreamer nostalgia/reissue racket, really. The thing that made good examples of the original Tubescreamer (and they were extremely inconsistent, like most old effects) good were a combination of components that simply do not exist any more, particularly some obscure Panasonic diodes used in the clipping circuit and to a lesser extent the relatively crude JRC 4558 dual OpAmp. Some years ago, I read a piece from New Japan Radio explaining why it was impossible for them to retool and reissue the original JRC4558 OpAmp, which is several generations behind the current NJR4558DD. Now, these pricey "reissues" have new components with the old names stamped on them, but they're not the same devices, and it probably doesn't matter anyway. There's an infinite amount of self-delusion going on here with this stuff, and the number of people who have heard a really good example of an original Tubscreamer side by side with another similar device to A/B the difference is probably minuscule. :rolleyes:

You've probably seen Analog Mike's Tubescreamer History Site (http://www.analogman.com/tshist.htm).

matthew
September 18th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I'm pretty skeptical of this whole Tubescreamer nostalgia/reissue racket, really.I agree. My overdrive of choice is a Boss SD-1.

Hey, that gets me thinking...I found this from a web page I made 7 or 8 years ago (which I took down because it's hopelessly outdated). It's a list of some of my effects and how I had them routed and set at that time. I had done an outdoor concert and some of my friends (guitar gearheads...) wanted to know what all was on the pedal board and how it was set so we took a picture and later typed it up to go on the page. Maybe someone here will find the list/info interesting...

Guitar (1995 Fender Tele Special)
» Rogue Chromatic Auto Tuner (same as Carvin's with a different label)
» Boss OC-2 Octave (octave 2: 3, direct: 4, octave 1: 6)
» Morley PWA Wah (level: 4)
» input of DOD FX 30-B Noise Gate/Loop. (release: 3, gate: 5, sensitivity: 9)(It's similar to Boss's Noise Suppressor. Out to send.)
» Boss AC-2 Acoustic Simulator(level: 9, body: 4, top: 4, mode: enhance)
» Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive (level: 3, tone: 7, drive: 4.5)
» Marshall ShredMaster (gain: 8, bass: 4, contour: 2, treble: 10, volume: 5)
» Boss DS-1 Distortion (tone: 7, level: 3, distortion: 10)(I'm simulating a fuzz with this setting)
» MXR Micro Amp (gain: 6) (I am using this to counteract signal loss since I have so many pedals. Works great.)
» Boss BF-2 Flanger (manual: 5, depth: 9, rate: 5, res.: 2)
» Boss PH-2 Super Phaser (rate: 6, depth: 9, res.: 2, mode: I)
» Into return of DOD FX 30-B's loop. Out to output.
» Boss DM-2 Delay (rate: 6, echo: 4, intensity: 1)(This is probably my favorite delay I have ever heard. It's analog!!)
» Boss CE-2 Chorus (rate: 4, depth: 8 )
» Ibanez LF7 Lo-Fi Filter (drive: 5, lo cut: 8, hi cut: 2, level: 6, mode: guitar)(this does a great job of imitating the "cheap transistor amp" or megaphone sound, I really like it when used with other effects like my pseudo fuzz setting on the DS-1)
» Allen Old Flame Amplifier (volume: 3, raw: 0, bright: off, treble: 3, mid: 4, bass: 7, dwell: 7, mix: 3, tone: 2, master volume: adjust as needed)
Now, obviously they aren't all one at one time, most would get used for perhaps one song or one small part of one song in a set (Lo-Fi filter, octave).

This gives you a little glimpse of what I have. There are a few more here and there and my pedal board setup is pretty fluid depending on what I'm playing, where, and such immeasurables as my mood and the weather...guess that's the artistic part of my temperment. :) Oh! The delay+chorus NAILS the Andy Summers early Police sound.

Bezmotivnik
September 18th, 2006, 07:44 PM
I agree. My overdrive of choice is a Boss SD-1.
Among those who aren't caught up in the whole lemming-ized emotional-investment fanboy aspect of the Tubescreamer thing, a slight majority prefer the SD-1's sound over the traditional Tubescreamer's. The SD-1 was the first overdrive I got some years ago, based on that advice via alt.guitar.effects from (I believe) Analog Mike.

I have a bunch of overdrives, but rarely use them. I'm just too lazy. :roll: Really, I mainly get them to examine the circuits. How dumb is that?

I also hate buying batteries and these things eat 'em up. I want to build a really well-filtered, low-noise 9.5-10VDC power supply (as opposed to the usual commercial ones) to run everything, but I can't find the parts I need here in my junk, though I know they're here. More laziness...

It's a list of some of my effects and how I had them routed and set at that time. I
Dang. I'd get brainlock trying to set up that many effects.

matthew
September 18th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Among those who aren't caught up in the whole lemming-ized emotional-investment fanboy aspect of the Tubescreamer thing, a slight majority prefer the SD-1's sound over the traditional Tubescreamer's. The SD-1 was the first overdrive I got some years ago, based on that advice via alt.guitar.effects from (I believe) Analog Mike.I used to hang out a little on alt.guitar.effects, but I spent a lot of time on alt.guitar.amps. It's been a few years since I used newsgroups, though. My ISP that I used to use discontinued mirroring them and then a free newsgroup server I was using folded and I just never felt like taking the time to find another. BTW, I'm one of those that prefers the SD-1 anyway, but I can see good in both.

Dang. I'd get brainlock trying to set up that many effects.LOL. That was before I had kids. Now those brain cells get used for things like, "When is her school break again?" and "Does everyone have their seatbelt on?" I'm also not playing out at the moment so I can just set up the one, two or three I might want for a song I want to practice or a sound I want to play with instead of worrying about whether or not I might want a certain effect available during a set.

Bezmotivnik
September 19th, 2006, 06:34 AM
I spent a lot of time on alt.guitar.amps.

It became a useless pesthole of off-topic, rebarbative political rants and ignorant flamewars -- largely thanks to a clearly disturbed regular, "Lord Valve," and his furious detractors or groupies. Usenet has become the forum for those kicked off everywhere else.

It's been a few years since I used newsgroups, though.

I used Usenet newsgroups every day from 1983 until 2005, when a combination of greatly decreasing newsgroup quality and the lack of an adequate Linux newsgroup client made me decide that it was time to pack the whole thing in and move on with my life. I came to the conclusion that there was nothing in Usenet that was worth the expected hassle of trying to get Forte Agent to run under Wine. :-(

My ISP that I used to use discontinued mirroring them and then a free newsgroup server I was using folded and I just never felt like taking the time to find another.
There are a fair number of quality open feeds with high connectivity, like the Usenet server at Syracuse University, which I used, and then replied/posted through a M2N gate.

Of course, there's always GoogleGroups.

BTW, I'm one of those that prefers the SD-1 anyway, but I can see good in both.
They're really not that different. I think there's the symmetric/asymmetric clipping business, but the end sound is not as dissimilar as one might expect.

What I look for in this type of effect is the ability to handle tonally complex chords without becoming hopelessly muddy or "grainy." It's remarkable how some just blow up under a jazzy chord's multiple notes into pure mush. If you just use them for lead work, you'll probably never find this out.

That was before I had kids. Now those brain cells get used for things like, "When is her school break again?" and "Does everyone have their seatbelt on?"
Yours have been reassigned; mine are just gone.

ComplexNumber
September 19th, 2006, 06:02 PM
for those times when one has to do a gig in a rough pub
http://crunchgear.com/2006/09/18/the-escopetarras/

matthew
September 19th, 2006, 06:39 PM
for those times when one has to do a gig in a rough pub
http://crunchgear.com/2006/09/18/the-escopetarras/Yikes! Where's the obligatory picture of Ted Nugent holding one???

drucer
September 19th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Anybody tried Yamaha silent guitar? How silent it really is? Could you imagine strumming in the middle of the night and not wake up the others?

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/guitar/silent_guitar/index.html

I'm considering buying the classical nylon string Yamaha silent guitar. You know I'm one of those persons whose energy level is much higher in the evening / nighttime than in the morning / daytime and I'm much more motivated to practise in the nighttime. Do not know why, but that's the way it is. Seems like I get a lot of inspirations in nighttime.

ComplexNumber
September 19th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Yikes! Where's the obligatory picture of Ted Nugent holding one???
maybe motorhead and girlschool could do with one :D
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B0001IN152/ref=dp_image_text_0/026-5128365-9622024?ie=UTF8

matthew
September 19th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Anybody tried Yamaha silent guitar? How silent it really is? Could you imagine strumming in the middle of the night and not wake up the others?

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/guitar/silent_guitar/index.html

I'm considering buying the classical nylon string Yamaha silent guitar. You know I'm one of those persons whose energy level is much higher in the evening / nighttime than in the morning / daytime and I'm much more motivated to practise in the nighttime. Do not know why, but that's the way it is. Seems like I get a lot of inspirations in nighttime.I've seen these in magazines but have never had a chance to try one out so I can't comment directly. I will say that I often play my solidbody electric (telecaster) unplugged at night in my home while my wife and kids are sleeping and I have never had one of them wake up from it. It's loud enough for me to hear but none of them ever do. You could also get one of those headphone amps like a Rockman if you need a little better volume/tone for late night practice.

Bezmotivnik
September 19th, 2006, 08:00 PM
I've seen these in magazines but have never had a chance to try one out so I can't comment directly. I will say that I often play my solidbody electric (telecaster) unplugged at night in my home while my wife and kids are sleeping and I have never had one of them wake up from it. It's loud enough for me to hear but none of them ever do.
Likewise, but I think the point is that he's talking about a silent classical guitar. To play a classical guitar properly I think would be hard to do quietly, thus the market for this device. I have no idea if it's any good, but I believe they've been around for quite a while. They seem pretty expensive for what they are.

There are some user reviews on this page (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-SLG100N-Silent-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=511080).

Note the "more pictures" option (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/product/images/page=1/base_pid=511080).

Bezmotivnik
September 22nd, 2006, 10:15 PM
There is a P-90 version (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hofner-Colorama-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=511784) as well, and MusiciansFriend.Com are blowing out the last ones of these in black for $129.99 shipped. I just ordered one tonight.

[See earlier post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1512980&postcount=146)]

Got it yesterday.

Pretty astonishing! It was substantially better than the first one, apparently from a much more recent production run. This one included the factory gigbag (http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/0/2/1/403021.jpg). I'm no fan of gigbags in general for their complete lack of structural protection, but if you must have one, a gigbag made for the specific instrument makes a great deal of difference. This one is very heavily padded and fits the guitar like a glove.

The wiring was a lot more tidy, the finish better detailed, the fretwork better, the neck setup perfect, the Grovers properly aligned and adjusted...everything was truly top drawer, and I closely check out lots of instruments in all price ranges.

The Tesla P-90s are very hot and very P-90 sounding. As with all high-output single coils, they are noisy when near the amp or source of EMI (despite excellent control cavity shielding with a foiled cover and conductive-painted rout) unless switched to the noise-canceling mode. This center switch position uses both pickups in reverse polarity mode, essentially making a single humbucking pickup (modern Stratocasters use the same method in switch positions 2 & 4, which incidentally produces the signature Stratocaster "quack" sound). The output drop in this position is normal with this method of noise-cancellation.

The only actual problem was a burred saddle adjustment screw that I had to run a chaser down to clean up, but that was all. I had to reverse the G and B saddles for wider intonation adjustment, but this was all that was required to do a professional quality setup here on the bench. At some point, I may radius the fret end edges, but it's not really necessary.

Weight is a comfortable 7.25 pounds.

Guitars vary from one to the next, but if this one is representative of its production run, I would say that in spite of the blowout price, this is genuinely a pro-grade instrument, better made than many instruments I have bought for over five times as much.

Unquestionably the best gear value I've bought in the past year, and I buy a lot of gear.

matthew
September 25th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Unquestionably the best gear value I've bought in the past year, and I buy a lot of gear.
That sounds fabulous! Congratulations. I've been gone for a few days and just got back and had a chance to start to catch up.

dannytherocker
September 25th, 2006, 07:36 PM
@th3james: sweet avatar there, bro!

EDIT: This was an off-topic bit I started in another thread. Since we were having fun and it got interesting I moved the guitar related threads and started this thread...that's why it seems a bit out of context at first. Now that we have our own thread, let's talk about guitars and stuff!

Hi Ubuntu-guitarists,

I'm a guitar player as well, and have been playing for about 15 years! My nickname says it all:

E-maj = the chord E (I like its sound) + the "e-" (electronic, e-mail, anything about computers). The are my life passions: pc and music

I've got a modded Washburn, an acoustic Yamaha and my 1st guitar: Fender Squier...Thinking of buying the number 4 as soon as I'm graduated: Fender Stratocaster.
My favourited guitarist is S. Vai....but Joe Satriani is not worse!

ComplexNumber
September 25th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I've got a modded Washburnbefore i got my current guitar(a yamaha sg), i checked out one of the washburns. amongst other things, i was attracted to their tone control which allowed the player to gain maximum tone control somehow. i can't remember exactly what their unique system was, though. i think it was the washburn WD series.

----------------------------------------------

on a different topic, i'm wanting to buy a 5 string bass with a high C rather than a low B(ie the standard). i don't suppose there is anyone here who has their bass set up with a high C? and if so, what were your reasons for having a high C instead of a low B?

pyman
September 25th, 2006, 08:14 PM
I go acoustic only I have a 1921 "A" model Gibson Mandolin and a 1998 D28 Martin.

matthew
September 25th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Hi Ubuntu-guitarists
My favourited guitarist is S. Vai....but Joe Satriani is not worse!Welcome to you! I got to see Satch live in Phoenix last year. Incredible!! Glad to have you around.

I go acoustic only I have a 1921 "A" model Gibson Mandolin and a 1998 D28 Martin.Nice!! Bluegrass/country your thing? Welcome to you as well.

jdunn
September 26th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I have a modded Kramer Strat. It has an annoying locking nut and bridge. Despite that, it seems to go out-of-tune often. it's also a pain to restring. I'm going to trade it in some day for something different, possibly a telecaster.

I'm a bit proud of my acoustic. Its an Oscar Schmitd

Bezmotivnik
September 27th, 2006, 04:20 AM
Cheap thrills alert:

The previously-mentioned Tubulator (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1513306&postcount=150) is now at an all-time low sale price of $9.99. (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Arion-MTE1-Tubulator-Distortion-Pedal?sku=150509)

Gustav
September 27th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Here's a pic of my Fender Jaguar (well it's not mine, but mine look about the same (I don't have that bridge cover (that doesn't look that good anyway))).

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/3/5/9/268359.jpg

This must be the best looking guitar ever!!!

Bezmotivnik
September 27th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Here's a pic of my Fender Jaguar
Nice. What year?

GuitarHero
September 27th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Blech sorry, I can't stand that shape. Nor the telecaster or Jazz master

Bezmotivnik
September 27th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Blech sorry, I can't stand that shape. Nor the telecaster or Jazz master
The Jaguar was regarded at the time as "Leo's Edsel," but it had some pretty interesting technical aspects. Jaguars enjoy recurring bouts of popularity.

I'm guessing you're not a fan of the JagStang, either. :mrgreen:

Personally, I hate the Stratocaster body, which I find about like trying to play a greased pig. Ironically, my most valuable instrument is an all-original, Pre-CBS L-Series Stratocaster which spent nearly thirty-five years in my closets due to my lack of enthusiasm for the design. :rolleyes:

I do like the Telecaster. It's about the only traditional Fender guitar design for which I have any use, though I'm a big fan of the Precision bass.

Gustav
September 28th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Nice. What year?

Unfortunatly I can't afford (or is lucky enough to get a cheap) a real vintage Jaguar (or an American reissue) :(. It's 'crafted in Japan' quite resently (probably 2005).

Bezmotivnik
October 2nd, 2006, 03:59 AM
It's 'crafted in Japan' quite resently (probably 2005).
The domestic-market CIJs are the best-made production Fenders. FMIC slightly "dumbs down" the features on the few CIJs they import into the US so they aren't appreciably more desirable than FMIC product, but they're still better-built and better-finished.

I believe they're currently manufactured by Kasura, who used to do Tokai, now that Fuji-Gen Gakki is out of the guitar building business.

There was a big stink between FMIC and Ishibashi WebShop a couple of years ago, with FMIC trying to stop Ishibashi from selling Fender Japan domestic axes to US buyers.

After having the neck finishes go bad on five out of five recent new US Fenders I've purchased and Fender not making good on warranty, I only buy CIJs and MIKs, which are smarter moves.

Bezmotivnik
October 2nd, 2006, 04:46 AM
Hey, anyone but me ever use one of these (http://212.227.253.62/files/huke/proclass/warpfactor/images/Warp_Factor_Front.jpg)?

[Product page (http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php?mode=doc&id=42)]

I've accumulated a few distortion/OD stomps, but this one sort of puzzles me, largely because there's no way of getting to the circuitry without destroying the unit.

Yes, it does look like a renegade microphone stand base! :rolleyes:

matthew
October 2nd, 2006, 09:22 AM
Hey, anyone but me ever use one of these (http://212.227.253.62/files/huke/proclass/warpfactor/images/Warp_Factor_Front.jpg)?

[Product page (http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php?mode=doc&id=42)]

I've accumulated a few distortion/OD stomps, but this one sort of puzzles me, largely because there's no way of getting to the circuitry without destroying the unit.

Yes, it does look like a renegade microphone stand base! :rolleyes:I've never even seen one of those...it's hard to keep up on gear living in Africa. :) I thought it looked a bit like a land mine.

Bezmotivnik
October 2nd, 2006, 10:29 AM
I've never even seen one of those...it's hard to keep up on gear living in Africa.

They've been around for a few years. It was sold as a NuMetal pedal, back when that fad was blowing through.

As best I can tell, it's just a fairly well-designed analog distortion (it keeps its clarity with complex chords) with a midrange profile control and a mysterious 90Hz boost switch.

That's strange to me as that's right in the range of guitar mud; engineers do a cut at 60>100Hz to clean up muddly, muffled-sounding guitar tracks, so doing a boost at 90Hz seems odd.

I thought it looked a bit like a land mine.
Yeah, that's too! :-k

Bezmotivnik
October 3rd, 2006, 08:13 AM
This (http://seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87400)could only happen to me! :rolleyes:

matthew
October 3rd, 2006, 06:14 PM
This (http://seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87400)could only happen to me! :rolleyes:LOL. Bummer.

Bezmotivnik
October 3rd, 2006, 07:14 PM
Bummer.
Not a huge deal. It was on Labor Day a couple of years ago and they had a bunch of random single aftermarket pickups on long sale for $9.00 each. I got a DiMarzio VirtuAL2 neck Stratocaster and a Duncan Vintage Rails neck Stratocaster pickup and some others. Promptly forgot about them for a couple of years. Haven't used any of them.

Got a Duncan "Maverick" soundhole acoustic pickup for $9.99 last Labor Day and promptly forgot about it, too. :rolleyes:

Frankly, I can see no reason why aftermarket pickups should ever be a whole lot more than this anyway. Extrordinarily overpriced items, normally -- $120 MSRP for a magnet, some wire and a plastic spool on a stock frame? Crazy. :confused:

Bezmotivnik
October 7th, 2006, 12:20 AM
I have a birthday coming up next week and am thinking of getting myself one of these. (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-G61191962HT-Tennessee-Rose-Electric-Guitar?sku=517766)

[Better Picture] (http://www.gretschguitars.com/repository/gretsch/images/G6119-1962HT_xl.jpg)

Y'think?

Long sale, -63% from MSRP. I'm thinking about doing a bit of alt.country/Wilco-ish stuff locally and this might fit the look.

matthew
October 7th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I have a birthday coming up next week and am thinking of getting myself one of these. (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-G61191962HT-Tennessee-Rose-Electric-Guitar?sku=517766)

[Better Picture] (http://www.gretschguitars.com/repository/gretsch/images/G6119-1962HT_xl.jpg)

Y'think?

Long sale, -63% from MSRP. I'm thinking about doing a bit of alt.country/Wilco-ish stuff locally and this might fit the look.That's a great price! I've only played a couple of Gretsch guitars, but they were quite nice. I haven't paid much attention to them since they were bought by Fender (they were, weren't they?) but I can't imagine the quality suffering in this day and age.

Bezmotivnik
October 7th, 2006, 07:11 PM
they were bought by Fender (they were, weren't they?)
FMIC's wording was deliberately evasive but, essentially, "yes."

but I can't imagine the quality suffering in this day and age.
I'm not 100% positive who manufactures them, and FMIC non-disclosure policies prevent publication of the information, but I believe it's probably Kasuga (Tokai). The best-built production guitars are Japanese, but they're definitely not cheap.

apollo1900
October 7th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Is anyone else here addicted to delay effects?

Bezmotivnik
October 7th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Is anyone else here addicted to delay effects?
Not in the normal sense, but I just bought one of the Yamaha Magicstomps (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-Magicstomp-EB?sku=151561) primarily for the extremely sophisticated delay effects, the complexity of which have in the event completely overwhelmed me. :oops:

My rule of thumb about effects is that their use should be non-obvious. The greatest value of delay effects for me is their ability to "fatten" sound by single repetitions usually somewhere between 15-50ms. If I understand the Yamaha effects, they have up to four individually adjustable delay taps, which seems promising for this sort of use (think four overdubbed guitar tracks). The only problem with this is to avoid comb filtering and other unwanted artifacts caused by identical overlapping tracks.

Supposedly, the way to prevent/cure that is to individually run the delayed tracks through further processing to give each a distinctive EQ or whatever.

Funny you should mention it, but I just dug out a mint Ibanez DM500 rack unit delay I had forgotten I even had.

So...what do you do with delay?

apollo1900
October 7th, 2006, 09:11 PM
A lot, I guess I'm kind of a noob.

In Garage Band (Apple) in the effects there is AuDelay. It allows you to set up the delay n stuff. I pretty much use it so I could sound like The Edge. :)

matthew
October 7th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Is anyone else here addicted to delay effects?I'm not an addict, but I have an old Boss DM-2 from the early 1980's that I love. Amazing pedal.

baldy1324
October 7th, 2006, 11:32 PM
i would like some suggestions on a gibson sg or a strat. im upgrading from my squire beginner kit. i play rock (some hard and some soft like stairway to heaven). some of my idols are stevie ray vaugh,eric clapton,and jimi hendrix. some i love the humbuckers on gibsons b/c the hum on fenders annoy me. i do also like a lot of music that is played on a sg like ac/dc. my fingers and hands are small, so the gibson appeals that way. the strat looser and easier to slide, but i like the sturdiness of the sg. im not sure can u give me suggestions. any suggestions?

baldy1324
October 8th, 2006, 03:11 PM
okay ive narrowed my choice down to the stratocaster b/c i like its easy playability alot (probably the maple neck). now two questions-
1. i was looking on guitar center's site and i found a really cool all black strat that looked like the sg (not the typical strat two-color design) it looked like this http://www.guitarz.com.au/Black%20Strat%20lyig%20down.JPG
2. i found that guitar center sells strats that come with 1 out of the 3 pickups as humbuckers which i am definitely interested in; does anyone have any thoughts?

matthew
October 8th, 2006, 03:17 PM
okay ive narrowed my choice down to the stratocaster b/c i like its easy playability alot (probably the maple neck). now two questions-
1. i was looking on guitar center's site and i found a really cool all black strat that looked like the sg (not the typical strat two-color design) it looked like this http://www.guitarz.com.au/Black%20Strat%20lyig%20down.JPG
2. i found that guitar center sells strats that come with 1 out of the 3 pickups as humbuckers which i am definitely interested in; does anyone have any thoughts?
I think you will be very happy with a Strat and the black one looks quite nice. The ones with one humbucker (usually at the bridge) may be right up your alley--is there any way for you to go to the store to try one out or to compare it with the 3 single coil version?

BTW, when you put the pickup selector switch in postitions 2 and 4 the recent models will cancel the hum.

There are also hum-cancelling pickup versions of strats out there or replacement pickups available...that might be overkill at this time in your playing, but something to think about for later.

Bezmotivnik
October 10th, 2006, 01:08 AM
In that small hands were mentioned, I would warn against Gibson SGs without first checking them out.

My Gibson SG "Classic" (http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/434e1f65z465b6960/e003scd/__sr_/8832scd.jpg?phQ_wKFBQ.byyME1) has a neck like a grand piano leg.

As a consequence, I rarely play it. A big honkin' neck also works against you in terms of the SG's already precarious neck-heavy imbalance.

ComplexNumber
October 10th, 2006, 12:21 PM
for those that are interested, here is a short video showing elvis presley, keith moon, sheryl crow, stevie wonder, and noel gallagher all jamming together
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA-aEqbU6jE
:D

Bezmotivnik
October 12th, 2006, 08:06 PM
For the assembled bassists, has anyone here any experience with the Gretsch Broadkaster (http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G6119B&cat1=&cat2=&q=&st=1)?

I'm thinking of bagging one. :-k

Bezmotivnik
October 15th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Well, I (somewhat belatedly) pulled the trigger on that Gretsch "Tennessee Rose" (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-G61191962HT-Tennessee-Rose-Electric-Guitar?sku=517766)...will review when it arrives.

raublekick
October 16th, 2006, 02:49 AM
when i got home from work today i found a slide sitting on the counter from my mother and sister. quite a nice surprise.

i've been interested in slide guitar for a while now, but haven't really gone out of my way to learn it. but now my guitar is tuned to G and i'm learning a thing or two about slide guitar. i just wish i had some people to jam with!

ComplexNumber
October 16th, 2006, 02:53 AM
i've been interested in slide guitar for a while now, but haven't really gone out of my way to learn it. but now my guitar is tuned to G and i'm learning a thing or two about slide guitar. i just wish i had some people to jam with!i simply used to put a thimble on my little finger :D
i was inspired by the Paris-Texas sound track album covered by ry cooder. there's some really great examples of slide in that.

23meg
October 16th, 2006, 03:11 AM
I recently bought a Boss LS-2, and it's the most versatile pedal I've ever seen. It has so many possible uses that I figured I could have three and find uses for all three.

Bezmotivnik
October 16th, 2006, 06:31 AM
i was inspired by the Paris-Texas sound track album covered by ry cooder. there's some really great examples of slide in that.
Funny you should mention that. I was just listening to it last night.

Wicked lot of slide knocking noises, though.

matthew
October 16th, 2006, 09:45 AM
when i got home from work today i found a slide sitting on the counter from my mother and sister. quite a nice surprise.

i've been interested in slide guitar for a while now, but haven't really gone out of my way to learn it. but now my guitar is tuned to G and i'm learning a thing or two about slide guitar. i just wish i had some people to jam with!How fun! I have a slide, but I have to confess I've never really learned to use it...at least not well. What a cool mom & sis!

I recently bought a Boss LS-2, and it's the most versatile pedal I've ever seen. It has so many possible uses that I figured I could have three and find uses for all three.Are you talking about the Line Selector?
http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/com/LS-2/images/top_M.jpg

Are you running a multiple amp setup or do you have several effects loops? stereo rig? Inquiring minds want to know...

raublekick
October 16th, 2006, 02:01 PM
How fun! I have a slide, but I have to confess I've never really learned to use it...at least not well. What a cool mom & sis!

http://www.bigroadblues.com/slide/index.html

that is the first site i found online with some good info on the basics of slide guitar. in 10 minutes you'll at least know the basics and having fun!

matthew
October 16th, 2006, 04:44 PM
http://www.bigroadblues.com/slide/index.html

that is the first site i found online with some good info on the basics of slide guitar. in 10 minutes you'll at least know the basics and having fun!Cool. I'll take a look. Thanks!

ComplexNumber
October 16th, 2006, 04:52 PM
hmmm i wonder if bass slide has been done before. something tells me that it wouldn't work. maybe i'll try it so time, so that if it ever takes off, i can have my name attributed to it :D

23meg
October 16th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Are you talking about the Line Selector?
Yes.

Are you running a multiple amp setup or do you have several effects loops? stereo rig? Inquiring minds want to know...When recording in the studio I use it to mix different amounts of pedal effects together, and occasionally to switch between amps. An envelope filter and an overdrive layered together with the LS-2 sounds nothing like an envelope filter fed into an overdrive or an overdrive fed into an envelope filter. Same goes for a combination of just about any two effects.

On stage I put my digital effects (Digitech Whammy and Korg Kaoss Pad 2) on one loop so that my signal won't go through analog to digital and digital to analog conversion all the time, and I engage that loop only when I need it. I put my tuner on the other loop and bypass its dirty circuitry as well. In the near future I'll add my tablet pc to the first loop to process the guitar signal with PD running on Ubuntu.

It's also usable as a two channel mixer with routing and I've also experimented with just wiring different pedals together in unaccustomed combinations to make noises (without a guitar or any other input signal).

Bezmotivnik
October 16th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Well, I (somewhat belatedly) pulled the trigger on that Gretsch "Tennessee Rose" (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-G61191962HT-Tennessee-Rose-Electric-Guitar?sku=517766).
[sigh!] Just cancelled the order. I was getting reports from buyers that these were coming with small "vintage" frets, which is a total deal-killer. While fret specs are mysteriously missing on the Gretsch data pages, I was able to confirm this unfortunate information by phone with FMIC. :(

matthew
October 17th, 2006, 09:05 AM
[sigh!] Just cancelled the order. I was getting reports from buyers that these were coming with small "vintage" frets, which is a total deal-killer. While fret specs are mysteriously missing on the Gretsch data pages, I was able to confirm this unfortunate information by phone with FMIC. :(Oh, sorry to hear that.

@ComplexNumber: If the bass slide thing works for you I would love to hear it. :)

23meg
October 18th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Anyone own a vintage Fender Twin Reverb?

I have my eyes on one that's lying in a shop on my street: silver face plate, master volume, original orange JBL speakers (actually branded Fender but made by James B. Lansing, as it reads below the logo; it seems JBL didn't even exist as a company then), 135W output, ultralinear output transformer, tubes just replaced and the whole thing reconditioned. It's probably a mid-70s one.

What I'm wondering is:

- how much volume / channel gain it normally takes to drive these into power stage saturation, say, with a stock Telecaster

- whether it hurts the amp and/or the tubes to remove two of the tubes to get a saturated tone at lower volumes

- whether I can bypass preamp clipping at least partially and get power stage saturation by hitting the inputs with a louder signal than usual using a clean booster (such as the MXR Micro Amp)

- how much such an amp would typically go for in the US.

ComplexNumber
October 18th, 2006, 12:46 AM
@ComplexNumber: If the bass slide thing works for you I would love to hear it.
it doesn't sound anyhwere near as good on guitar. part of the reason why is because of the 'grooves' in the bass strings, so it soudns really coarse.

Bezmotivnik
October 18th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Anyone own a vintage Fender Twin Reverb?

I own a new one I bought a couple of years back in a moment of temporary insanity because it was on sale. I played it an hour or so and put into a big pile of unused stuff in a corner of the studio. It's been there ever since.

I've written a great deal about Twins over the years, none of it complementary.

Essentially, the Twin is a very poor engineering concept meant as a compromise for portability. It has way too much amp for a reliable open-back tube combo configuration. Fender eventually had to go to the use of re-labeled Soviet-era avionics relay tubes in place of 5881s at the loss of about 25%-30% output efficiency merely to keep the tubes alive long enough to get out of warranty. If you think about it, the problems are pretty obvious if you're really crankin'.

Back in the '60s, before the guitar player was in the band's sound reinforcement mix, he had to have a lot of volume and he usually had to have a lot of portability. The original Twin had lower output and wasn't quite such a nutty proposition, but it was still a compromise. When the output was later upped, so were the service problems.

I don't personally know anyone who got a Twin who doesn't regard it as a mistake. Possible exceptions supposedly include country and pedal steel players who want a lot of clean tube watts (though that's always struck me as something of an oxymoron).

A tube amp of that output needs to be in a separate head/cab arrangement (like the Dual Showman) for both sound efficiency and amp longevity. Never mind the backstrain factor. :frown:

Bezmotivnik
October 18th, 2006, 06:58 AM
because of the 'grooves' in the bass strings...
Real bass players use flatwounds! ;)

Bezmotivnik
October 18th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Oh, sorry to hear that.
Maybe I'll get one of these (http://www.gretschguitars.com/repository/gretsch/images/G6073_xl.jpg) instead. :mrgreen:

matthew
October 18th, 2006, 09:58 AM
@23Meg: The Twin Reverb you are looking at sounds like a mid-1970's model, like you guessed. I don't own one, but I've played through several. My observations are

-you have to play really loud before you get any breakup...like, too loud for any place that seats fewer than about 3 or 400 people. Think volume at at least 7 or 8 and people running out of the room with bloody ears before you get breakup. You could put a Super Overdrive in front of it and it would sound nice, but that's not the point. I can't recall ever hearing the preamp tubes clip in these unless they were going bad or the circuit was modded. Using a MicroAmp in front will push the power tubes sooner, but it will still be loud before you get tube saturation and breakup.

-I like the tone of the JBLs, they seem to have a frequency response that works well with guitar. Again, they are very clean.

-like Bezmotivnik said, the design wasn't great. The tubes get a lot of abuse because they are so close to the speakers and unprotected-the vibration just kills them at typical volumes. You are better off with a head/cabinet setup at that wattage, and if you want nice power tube breakup I would lean toward a Marshall or a lower wattage Fender.

-I've never removed two power tubes, but I know people who have. It seems to be okay, but I have no clue as to the long term effects. Really, you would be better off finding something with the tube complement you want rather than having to do this. Oh, if you do remove to, make sure you remove either the outer or the inner pair...you probably knew that already.

EDIT: I did a little research and the 135 watt UL models seem to be going for about $750 to $900 stateside depending on condition. I saw that one guy got his for $250, but that may have been in horrid condition or from a friend. Certainly less than $1000.

Maybe I'll get one of these (http://www.gretschguitars.com/repository/gretsch/images/G6073_xl.jpg) instead. :mrgreen:All that bass talk got you thinking, huh? It sure looks nice.

23meg
October 18th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks matthew and Bezmotivnik for the comments.

I've wanted a Twin for a long time, having heard it played by some of my "essential favorite" acts in recordings and live. I'm aware that it isn't the best compromise between durability / portability and sound quality for today, but I like it for what it is; now that I think about it, my desire for it matured all these years without considering practical disadvantages such as the 35kg weight and extremely high output at the sweet spot.

I had set my eyes on this particular one for its rarity; it's hard to come by this specific model (orange JBL speakers etc.) where I live, and perhaps elsewhere as well. But the 135W wattage, combined with the fragile internals of the amp which can be hard to repair (no PCBs, not even cables; most components are simply soldered together end to end!) and the mediocre condition of the amp make it impractical for my use.

Among Fenders I'm now considering the reissue model of the Deluxe Reverb if I can find one (single speaker version of the Twin, AFAIK) or the 85W reissue blackface Twin, which has more modern components (fitted on a PCB) and lower wattage. Anyone played these?

I'd also consider others but Fenders are more widely available than anything else here (except Marshalls, which I don't even turn to look at). I'll keep my eyes open and save my money, especially for some rare older gems or a Vox AC30CC reissue, but I can consider any decent low wattage tube amp too. Suggestions welcome.

ComplexNumber
October 18th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Real bass players use flatwounds! ;)
i don't think so ;). don't you mean massochistic bass players use flatwounds? flatwounds are more for fretless.

matthew
October 18th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I agree with everything you have said in this post except these lines...
...the fragile internals of the amp which can be hard to repair (no PCBs, not even cables; most components are simply soldered together end to end!)This form of construction is generally BETTER than using a PCB, except in rare cases. Why? There are a few reasons...they are easier to work on if you can read a schematic and solder, as a result they are easy to modify/upgrade as needed, and there is no risk of a PCB cracking thereby rending the whole amp obsolete. If something comes loose you can easily repair it. Anyway, I'm biased in favor of point-to-point wiring over PCBs so you can feel free to take my comments with a grain of salt. The style of construction of this old silverface amp is actually in its favor in my opinion, though.

I'm now considering the reissue model of the Deluxe Reverb if I can find one (single speaker version of the Twin, AFAIK) or the 85W reissue blackface Twin, which has more modern components (fitted on a PCB) and lower wattage. Anyone played these? I've played them both. The Deluxe Reverb is a totally different beast, it uses 6V6's instead of 6L6's and is significantly lower wattage. I find their power tubes break up nicely at a much lower volume and have an amazing sweet spot. The reissue is good, the originals (black or silver face) are better. Either should be a good choice. I seem to recall they put out about 20-22 Watts.

The Twin you mention will have similar problems as the larger wattage silverface you mentioned...they stay clean until they are really loud.

You might try to find something in the 40 watt range like a blackface Vibrolux Reverb or Bassman. The Bassman won't have reverb, but it will sound quite nice. It has 4 ten inch speakers while the Vibrolux has 2 ten inch speakers.

23meg
October 18th, 2006, 03:57 PM
"In a world where it's harder and harder to get your money's worth out of expensive gear, what cheapy article -- amp, effect or axe -- surprised you with its quality?"I was looking for a second "good guitar" for our band to go along my Telecaster, and was dissatisfied with everything available for higher than sensible prices in the shops. One day I saw this unbranded, 70s looking guitar on display at a luthier's workshop. Its metal hardware was in bad condition when I bought it for $100; the pickups had such an unexpectedly original sound (think of a Rickenbacker with a solid body, but not exactly that) that I decided to pay the luthier an extra $150 to restore and refret it. For $250 I now have a very original guitar which outperforms those that go for more than a grand, with all of which I was dissatisfied. "You get what you pay for"? I say not necessarily.

All the luthier knows is that it's Italian made and dates to the 70s. I'll post pics when I get round to it; maybe one of you can identify it.

ComplexNumber
October 18th, 2006, 06:09 PM
a video showing a speed guitar/bass battle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j01x2lAFRwk

Bezmotivnik
October 18th, 2006, 08:40 PM
flatwounds are more for fretless.
Tell it to Jamerson. :rolleyes:

Actually, you mean tapewounds.

Flats (or half-rounds, if you must) have numerous advantages, primarily that they are easier on both the fingers and (especially) the frets. They have a much more solid lower end sound. They tend to be more expensive, but they last longer.

Bass should not have "twang," in my opinion as a traditional bassist, so the higher harmonics of roundwounds are not desirable anyway.

ComplexNumber
October 18th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Actually, you mean tapewounds.
nope. i definitely mean flatwounds :)

Bezmotivnik
October 18th, 2006, 08:56 PM
This form of construction is generally BETTER than using a PCB, except in rare cases...
Having at one point in my life done point-to-point audio assembly for a living, I'd say I'm less sure of this.

Here's why:

1: PTP is very limiting in terms of the circuit's complexity. You simply could not build a full-featured modern amp PTP.

2: A bad PTP layout is worse than a good PCB layout in all ways. It can be harder to work on, it can have more sonic defects (ground loops, etc.), it can be harder to troubleshoot, etc. I've worked on plenty of both kinds.

3: It's grossly inefficient in terms of production compared to any current-generation robotic output.

PTP is gone for good, and PCB design is improving a lot. If I were to have a dream amp, it would be a well-designed central PCB with flying leads to the jacks, switches, sockets and pots. Unfortunately, this is unlikely. :(

Bezmotivnik
October 19th, 2006, 04:30 AM
my desire for it matured all these years without considering practical disadvantages such as the 35kg weight and extremely high output at the sweet spot.
I confess that this bore some passing weight in my decision to impulse-buy one myself, a nostalgia thing (never mind it was a new amp :rolleyes:).

As I said, the Twin wasn't a completely crazy idea forty years ago.

At $599, I couldn't control myself. I had time to consider my error lying in bed for two days with a strained back after unloading it from the trunk on arrival home, however. There are certainly heavier pieces of equipment, but they have more than a small, centrally-located single carrying handle. That blasted amp is a triumph of orthopedic malice.

Oh, and of the five Twin-Amps like mine I've personally seen, four had fractured case joints, including three new ones that never got out of Guitar Center before breaking.

Bezmotivnik
October 22nd, 2006, 10:22 AM
Man, this thread's gotten so slow, I just bought a drum kit! :shock:

You probably think I'm kidding.

matthew
October 22nd, 2006, 02:12 PM
I just bought a drum kit!How do you get a drummer to leave your front porch? Pay him for the pizza.

How can you tell if the drum riser is level? The drool comes out both sides.

How can you tell when a singer is at the front door? They never know when to come in.

How many bass players does it take to change a light bulb? None. The keyboard player just does it with his left hand.

How do you get a guitarist to turn his volume down? Put a chart in front of him.

spacegypsy
October 22nd, 2006, 02:53 PM
I'm not a guitar player but bass player;
Here's my stack:

matthew
October 22nd, 2006, 08:31 PM
I'm not a guitar player but bass player;
Here's my stack:Sweet!

spacegypsy
October 22nd, 2006, 09:05 PM
Sweet!

Not exactly what my neihbourgs think. :-D

Bezmotivnik
October 23rd, 2006, 12:43 AM
I'm a nominal bassist, too.

Dunno if it will hotlink or not (this is mainly an experiment), but here's a picture of some of my SWR bass rig (http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/mQHhBfutulQA/__sr_/a077.jpg?tkn=phI0APFBdsE7mRXi&saveas=100_0016). If you can get this shot, lemmee know. Not shown, the Ampeg and Sunn rigs.

The neighbors haven't the faintest idea I'm a musician. :mrgreen:

Seriously. :neutral:

23meg
October 23rd, 2006, 03:28 AM
At $599, I couldn't control myself. I had time to consider my error lying in bed for two days with a strained back after unloading it from the trunk on arrival home, however. There are certainly heavier pieces of equipment, but they have more than a small, centrally-located single carrying handle. That blasted amp is a triumph of orthopedic malice.

-like Bezmotivnik said, the design wasn't great. The tubes get a lot of abuse because they are so close to the speakers and unprotected-the vibration just kills them at typical volumes. You are better off with a head/cabinet setup at that wattage, and if you want nice power tube breakup I would lean toward a Marshall or a lower wattage Fender.
Right, it's really not versatile for today, unless you're "big" enough to have your own logistics people to push it around, your own techs to retube it and keep it in good condition, etc. It's one thing to watch an artist push a Twin to its limits and go "that's cool, I want one too, it's a classic", and another thing to actually own one and look after it and carry it and play it.

I've given up on it. I'm saving for a reissue model of my other all time favorite combo (yes, there are just two), a Vox AC30CC2X.
If you can get this shot, lemmee know. I got it, but
The neighbors haven't the faintest idea I'm a musician.I don't get that; do you live in the bomb shelter? Just curious; I'm in urgent need for extra isolation in my studio because new neighbors two floors above are complaining.

Bezmotivnik
October 23rd, 2006, 04:04 AM
It's one thing to watch an artist push a Twin to its limits and go "that's cool, I want one too, it's a classic", and another thing to actually own one and look after it and carry it and play it.
My Twin-Amp's on the left in that picture, underneath a Princeton Stereo Chorus, a very nice little Jazz amp. I bought them at the same sale.

The white thing in front of the Twin is this abomination (http://www.italiaguitars.com/images/GUITAR_23_front_big.jpg), not my most distinguished bass.

do you live in the bomb shelter? Just curious; I'm in urgent need for extra isolation in my studio because new neighbors two floors above are complaining.
I don't use the big stuff here. For bass, I have a really wonderful little Ampeg BA-112 (http://ampeg.com/products/bassamp/ba112/index.html) or the B-100R (http://ampeg.com/products/diamondbluebass/b100r/index.html), which I play quietly in any case. My house is on a slab foundation in a noisy neighborhood, so I have to be a bit loud to get noticed. 95% of my guitar and bass playing is probably done unplugged while I'm lying on my back in bed anyway. :rolleyes: This when there are amps all over the house. :roll:

maniacmusician
October 23rd, 2006, 05:38 AM
reaching back into the thread a little, but Bezmotivnik: i groaned when I saw the deal you got on that Tesla P-90 a while back. Discontinued now, but I really wish i'd seen it in time to buy it; what a deal!

you posting about deals and whatnot on here is very helpful, when i actually read the thread; so thanks.

Bezmotivnik
October 23rd, 2006, 06:26 AM
i groaned when I saw the deal you got on that Tesla P-90 a while back. Discontinued now, but I really wish i'd seen it in time to buy it; what a deal!
Oh, you mean the Höfner Colorama Special (http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/0/2/4/403024.jpg)? Yeah, that was a great deal, though I'm not as crazy about the bridge pickup as I was, and you may recall the P-90 fiasco that ensued when I started to replace it with that mislabeled Duncan P-90 bridge pickup! :rolleyes:

Those Coloramas were insane. The Höfner Colorama Custom (http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/0/3/8/403038.jpg) that came with the German "Diamond" pickups is pretty much my #1 axe around here at the moment. It's a much better deal than the Special due to the very nice pickups, which are the same as on the German axes costing up to three grand.

As of tonight, 8th Street Music still has them in black for $149.95, shipped. (http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=40667&Category=Electric_Guitars)

There's quite a bit of inconsistency in finish quality on these, and the pickup selector switch may be a bit kludged, but essentially these are very nice axes once you sort them out -- absolutely untouchable at the price.

you posting about deals and whatnot on here is very helpful, when i actually read the thread; so thanks.
I'm a real deal hound. Nobody shops harder. Nobody can figure out how a guy with virtually no income can have a house so full of gear that it actually smells like Guitar Center. :mrgreen:

Kurt`
October 23rd, 2006, 07:29 AM
My guitar! Jackson DK2 Dinky with Floyd Rose tremelo :E

I also have this guitar (http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product?full_sku=100198385), mostly for fingerpicking. The Jackson is for death metal (it stays in step-down/Drop-C tuning)

I really want a RR1 or RR3. Randy Rhoads is god!

Bezmotivnik
October 23rd, 2006, 08:33 AM
I also have this guitar (http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product?full_sku=100198385), mostly for fingerpicking.
I had one of those for a while a few years ago (when GC was claiming a $600 MSRP), but I sold it to a friend because the huge neck was too large for me to play comfortably -- but it was a very good guitar for the $200 price. It was flawlessly finished, had Grovers and a fairly decent active/piezo setup. I got it to experiment with the active circuit.

The head was a somewhat different shape on mine, and was scarf-jointed in a interesting way I haven't seen since. It may have been a little different from the current MD100CE production, I dunno.

I am told that the "Mitchell" in this case was the founder of Guitar Center, BTW.

I think my best acoustic catch was one of these (http://fr.audiofanzine.com/img/produits/normal/1/1/11988.jpg) when Gretsch dropped most of the "Historic" series acoustics and Guitar Center blew them out on Labor Day a couple of years ago. I have never seen a picture of these that does them justice. Mine is a gorgeous instrument. All solid, nicely-figured woods, beautiful sound, perfect finish, excellent neck and action...substantially better than my Gibsons in all ways. Price? I got my pick from three of them for $199.99! And a deluxe hardshell case for $10 more! :mrgreen:

The deals are out there!

maniacmusician
October 24th, 2006, 04:39 AM
Oh, you mean the Höfner Colorama Special (http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/0/2/4/403024.jpg)? Yeah, that was a great deal, though I'm not as crazy about the bridge pickup as I was, and you may recall the P-90 fiasco that ensued when I started to replace it with that mislabeled Duncan P-90 bridge pickup! :rolleyes:

Those Coloramas were insane. The Höfner Colorama Custom (http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/0/3/8/403038.jpg) that came with the German "Diamond" pickups is pretty much my #1 axe around here at the moment. It's a much better deal than the Special due to the very nice pickups, which are the same as on the German axes costing up to three grand.

As of tonight, 8th Street Music still has them in black for $149.95, shipped. (http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=40667&Category=Electric_Guitars)

There's quite a bit of inconsistency in finish quality on these, and the pickup selector switch may be a bit kludged, but essentially these are very nice axes once you sort them out -- absolutely untouchable at the price.

I'm a real deal hound. Nobody shops harder. Nobody can figure out how a guy with virtually no income can have a house so full of gear that it actually smells like Guitar Center. :mrgreen:
how would i "sort them out"? I'm not a guitar technician lol. at 150 bucks they still seem like a steal...i'm debating whether to go for it or continue saving to build up a home studio instead.

you really are a dealhound! what you have going for you is that you actually know a lot about the guitars you're buying. I can never tell if i'm getting a great guitar at a great price, or if i'm getting ripped off. ](*,)

Bezmotivnik
October 24th, 2006, 10:15 PM
how would i "sort them out"? I'm not a guitar technician lol. at 150 bucks they still seem like a steal...i'm debating whether to go for it or continue saving to build up a home studio instead.
I dunno. The smart move would probably be to keep saving for the studio. There are lots of deals to chase there, too.

For example, I bagged one of these sets (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXL-990MXL-991-Recording-Microphone-Package?sku=273166) on sale at Guitar Center for $49.99 a couple of weeks ago. I think I prefer the Oktava MK-319 (http://www.oktava-online.com/mk319.htm) and the MK-012 (http://www.oktava-online.com/mk012.htm) as budget studio mics, but they've vanished from the scene in the US and this is probably the best deal on acceptable condenser microphones I've seen yet, anyway. GC had a pyramid of these sets, a perfect starter pair for a shoestring-budget home studio. Insane price.

maniacmusician
October 24th, 2006, 11:34 PM
thanks for the tip. bookmarked. i can't believe how helpful you are. You should try to share your knowledge about music hardware...telling good from bad, etc, so that people could become experienced deal hunters as well.

i've been trying to restrain myself, and I don't think i'll buy that mic. 100 seems to be the standard price for it, so i'd prefer to wait and get a deal on it. My budget is pretty tight though. i can only set aside at most $100 a month toward this ](*,) it's pretty frustrating.

any tips on how to look out for deals? do you have internet bots that crawl the net hunting for bargains ;) i'd like to get in on some of that action.

El Cris
October 25th, 2006, 02:49 AM
Hey folks, can you tell something about the guitars from Cort?
I find those two very interesting:
Cort M520 (http://www.cort.co.kr/english/products/common/view.asp?product_id=126)
Cort ZMP-1 (http://www.cort.co.kr/english/products/common/view.asp?product_id=141)
I had problems watching the full size pictures on the Cort-Site with firefox, so here you get the pics 'for free'.. :)
image of Cort M520 (http://www.cort.co.kr/DataBank/product/model/M/zoom/M520.jpg)
image of Cort ZMP-1 (http://www.cort.co.kr/DataBank/product/model/Masterpiece/zoom/ZMP-1.jpg)

So far about those Cort-guitars.
I already own a "Harley Benton" Les-Paul-imitation where - if I got it right - H.B. is the brand of the german mail-order-seller (is that written right? :-k I'm not a native-speaker) Thomann.
I also own a v-amp2 from Behringer.

Next I want to buy a CryBaby-pedal and FuzzFace from Dunlop. Got to have that Hendrix-sound, you know. ;)
By the way, check out the Dunlop-site (http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/p_and_e&cat=1 ), it's cool to listen to effect-samples if you can't tell them apart from their names.

Well, even though I got an effect-box (the v-amp2, which I also use to plug my headphones in - got no amp) and am going to buy some more, I am still a starting-out. I took lessons years ago when I was 13-14 iirc. I dropped playing guitar for a long time and now as I'm 22 I got interested in it again. I am taking singing-lessons for some time now, maybe that's why I also got interested in playing the guitar again.

For the purpose of learning I bought the book Fretboard Logic SE (http://www.amazon.com/Fretboard-Logic-SE-Volumes-Combined/dp/0962477060/), which is very nice.
Maybe I'll take some guitar-lessons later on, as my singing-teacher also does the guitar.

Well, that's all for the moment. :cool:

Bezmotivnik
October 25th, 2006, 08:56 AM
i've been trying to restrain myself, and I don't think i'll buy that mic. 100 seems to be the standard price for it, so i'd prefer to wait and get a deal on it.
Yeah, that's always my advice. I just supplied the link (at $99) for purely informational purposes -- note that it's TWO microphones, though, and GC had the set for $49.99!

any tips on how to look out for deals? do you have internet bots that crawl the net hunting for bargains
No crawler. I just hit sites like MF a couple of times a day, and I go to GC often. Sometime you find mad deals completely unannounced and for no good reason; I wandered into GC one Thursday morning and stumbled upon a brand new Music Man SUB4 bass (the punkest bass on earth, to my mind, and a fine instrument), for $319.99...there was another one identical to it on the wall for $699.99. List is over a grand. Why $319.99? Who knows? I did a fast, hard inspect, judged it perfect and bought it on the spot. I got that wonderful little Ampeg BA-112, new, for some weird price like $157.88 as they were tagging sale items for the next day prior to closing one rainy Sunday night.

Know your gear, know your prices, be ready to buy and do it fast before some other shark does -- 'cause he will.

Another tip for those with the courage -- consider ugly colors, especially if you plan to use the stuff in your home studio where nobody will freak out over it. That stuff gets dumped dirt cheap during clearance sales. Same gear, just weird-looking. I have some great blue :-& guitars. I've seen Gibson (and many other brand) axes in grotesque colors closed out for over 80% off MSRP.

I've taken this principle to a new high (or is that a new low? :-k ) with my recent drumset purchase. MF had a closeout that only lasted a few hours before selling out on some last year's model Mapex drums -- fusion five-piece outfits with hardware, "intermediate" sets (perfect for home studio use for several specific reasons) with a MSRP of well over a grand. A quick look at the price options showed that the butt-ugliest color option was even cheaper than the 66%-off closeout price. Cool, but who wants to pay the hefty "additional shipping" on a drumset from MF? OK, I snooped around on their site and found that MF's in-house band/orchestra subsidiary (Giardenelli) had an everything-ships-free-no-exceptions promotion and I was able to order this super-closeout drumset with the additional 11% butt-ugly-color discount through them with free shipping!

OK, to recap: I got the entire set for $269.99 delivered! It arrives tomorrow.

I the meantime I'd better reduce the lighting and perhaps get some heavily-shaded glasses. Here it is -- everything in the picture but the cymbals.

CAUTION! Do not click this link if you have a heart condition, a mouth full of hot liquids or are prone to fainting fits! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

[Ahem!] A drumroll please, for...my scary new drums... (http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/7/2/8/452728.jpg)

matthew
October 25th, 2006, 09:58 AM
CAUTION! Do not click this link if you have a heart condition, a mouth full of hot liquids or are prone to fainting fits! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

[Ahem!] A drumroll please, for...my scary new drums... (http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/7/2/8/452728.jpg)I absolutely love 'em! From now on I'll think of you in an entirely new way. :)

steven8
October 25th, 2006, 10:05 AM
I grew up with the drummer for the old Big-Hair band, Warrant. That looks exactly like a kit he may have played. :-)

I am (was) a guitarist. I owned many different guitars at one time or another, but my favorite was a Yamaha SE250. The action was soooo smoooth.

Pugaciov
October 25th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Hi all.
I'm a pseudo-guitarist, too! :D
I've been playing for almost three years now, but unfortunetely I'm not very constant and I do not take any lessons.
This is my axe, a 1991 Charvel Fusion Custom:
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/319/img60245ub.th.jpg (http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img60245ub.jpg)
I usually play Metal (Heavy, Thrash, Viking :twisted: ).

Cheers

Bezmotivnik
October 25th, 2006, 10:21 AM
can you tell something about the guitars from Cort?
"Cort" is the name under which the #1 Korean guitar manufacturer, Cor-Tek, markets its own instruments.

I have never played a Cort, though I own many instruments made by Cor-Tek, including some of my favorites. They make a huge number of Fenders (any Fender with a part number beginning with "026-" (http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0265107537)) and FMIC proprietary brand instruments. Since the huge maker Samick stopped Korean production a couple of years ago, almost any quality instrument from Korea is probably made by Cor-Tek.

Though non-disclosure policies usually prevent guitar companies from saying who builds their instruments, there were ways to tell, such as when examining the control cavity, seeing "COR-TEK" stamped on the pots. ;)

In general, I find Cor-Tek built guitars to show very good to superb build quality and finishing, though the parts, materials and designs are entirely dependent on what the client desires. It's fairly obvious that Fender, for example, "holds back" the Cor-Tek built instruments somewhat so that they will not compete directly with the American made Fenders, which do not show me as high standards of work & QC.

I have always felt that Cor-Tek would probably build superb guitars under their own label when they would presumably be trying to build the best instrument they could, though I've never been impressed by the styling of "Cort" guitars.

christhemonkey
October 25th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Ok,
back on page 9 or so of this thread,
I was going to buy a bass.

Yesterday, i finally got round to going out and playing absolutely every bass in manchester and then purchasing one.

The bass that i purchased was....

A MusicMan Stingray Fretless in Black :D

(ok its a sub, but im a student so im poor! Even poorer now...)

http://free.000angels.com/chrisbeagles/images/bassss2.jpg

matthew
October 25th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Ok,
back on page 9 or so of this thread,
I was going to buy a bass.

Yesterday, i finally got round to going out and playing absolutely every bass in manchester and then purchasing one.

The bass that i purchased was....

A MusicMan Stingray Fretless in Black :DCongratulations!

Bezmotivnik
October 25th, 2006, 10:46 AM
I grew up with the drummer for the old Big-Hair band, Warrant. That looks exactly like a kit he may have played. :-)
Yes, that's a hair-band finish option, absolutely.

You need at least twice as many of them, though, and fifteen cymbals.

And a temple gong.

Today's hair-band, trickle-down-technology deal hound tip: Fog machines have gone mainstream in the US this time of year for Halloween atmosphere effects. Every supermarket and drugstore seems to have them in the 400-450W size for $15-$20 with optional timers around $10-$15 and strobe lights for around $5-$10, all in seasonal halloween packaging.

By closing time on 31 October, all this holiday stuff will be typically be reduced by 50% or more to get rid of as much as possible before shipping it off.

A clever boy can probably get a fog machine for under ten bucks on 1 November. I'm definitely going to be out shopping for this stuff on Halloween night for some photo props and lots of scary skull year-round lighting for my studio.

One bit of trivia: "Fog juice" is distilled water and either food-grade glycerine or propylene glycol (yes, antifreeze). This stuff tends to leave a greasy-feeling residue when it settles out of the air. Be careful where you use it or Mom will be raving in rare form!

Bezmotivnik
October 25th, 2006, 11:05 AM
(ok its a sub, but im a student so im poor! Even poorer now...)
The S.U.B. rules, absolutely.

Unlike fake "US-Made" bargain hoaxes like the Fender H1 series, the S.U.B. really is a slightly-spartan Stingray with an industrial finish and no case. There is some slight difference in some hardware -- most glaringly that hideous laminate pickguard, which is completely interchangeable with a Stingray's, BTW -- and a non-contoured (read "heavy") body. Neck, pickup and all the essential stuff is indeed the same, just no gorgeous MM finish. I asked Music Man about all this when I found that one of mine for $319.99.

The S.U.B. is a true Music Man and a true Pro instrument. Ugly as a Stingray is beautiful, but you don't have to baby that hosed-on paintjob. It -- like the rest of the instrument -- is bulletproof. This is a weaponized instrument, the punkest bass on earth.

Mine's in that horrifying metallic wine-vomit-purple spatter.

It's a hideousness match for those drums, but a super bass! :mrgreen:

Bezmotivnik
October 25th, 2006, 11:13 AM
I absolutely love 'em! From now on I'll think of you in an entirely new way. :)
:-k I'm not sure what to think about that statement.

I do have some more subdued instruments. Could you possibly get more stealth than this (http://www.guitartrader.com/itm_img/EGFNFH+BKSHSCOR-f.jpg)?

That's so uniformly black it's hard to even photograph. It's a Cor-Tek built Fender Custom HH Showmaster Scorpion. Super guitar! Full-jumbo frets (24), Fender California pickup shop Black Canyon and Atomic II humbuckers w/5-way. Super-light, super-shred. I talked with the guy at Fender's pickup shop who designed the Black Canyon specifically for this series. Interesting!

steven8
October 25th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Yes, that's a hair-band finish option, absolutely.

You need at least twice as many of them, though, and fifteen cymbals.

And a temple gong.

You got that right! Just about all you could see of Steve was his hair! :-)

"Cort" is the name under which the #1 Korean guitar manufacturer, Cor-Tek, markets its own instruments.

I had a 'headless' Cort guitar. Used double-balled strings. A ball on each end. Not a bad little guitar. You could play it just about anywhere if you had somewhere to plug in your amp because it was so small.