PDA

View Full Version : Again? Lawsuit against Linux

Paddy Landau
April 1st, 2021, 10:45 AM
Yet another another frivolous lawsuit against some purveyors.

This originally started with Microsoft back in the day when it was trying to maintain a monopoly.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/sco-linux-fud-returns-from-the-dead/

TheFu
April 1st, 2021, 03:39 PM
Companies buying the UNIX trademark have been playing hot-potato for decades. I like to call it "who's the bigger idiot." And in typical fashion, there's always one more idiot.

I just visited Xinuos main page. Scrolled down a bit and saw this:

Continents Served: 0
Years In Business: 0
Operating Systems Sold: 0M+
Had to reformat a little here. Anyways, either they've been cracked or their web devs aren't too bright. It would be funny, if it weren't so sad.

Paddy Landau
April 1st, 2021, 03:58 PM
… Scrolled down a bit and saw this…
That might have been a problem with your browser. It's one of those automatic counting things that need Javascript enabled.

It reads 6 continents served; 40 years in business; 2M+ operating systems sold.

So it's probably a bona fide company that has decided to take a brief hike into patent trolling. Perhaps their lawyer needed a bit more money, because let's face it, the lawyer can't lose!

TheFu
April 1st, 2021, 04:36 PM
That might have been a problem with your browser. It's one of those automatic counting things that need Javascript enabled.

Not a problem with the browser. Javascript isn't mandatory. HTML is. It is a problem with the web page that they don't show the desired numbers when people DON'T have javascript enabled. My browser is working 100% correctly. Poor design by the company. Makes me wonder what else they do poorly ... besides web pages and lawsuits.

CatKiller
April 1st, 2021, 05:31 PM
So it's probably a bona fide company that has decided to take a brief hike into patent trolling.

Not patent trolling: no patents. Just vexatious litigation.

They're a company that bought the smouldering ruins of SCO and said that they weren't doing it to continue SCO's litigation, but then they ran out of money so they did it anyway.

It won't go anywhere. Even with Microsoft's funding and good lawyers, SCO didn't actually have a case; these guys don't even have that.

The Cog
April 1st, 2021, 07:32 PM
I wonder if the owners are trying to get it bought by IBM. If they're small enough, it might be cheaper for IBM to buy the company than pay its lawyers.
I still miss GrokLaw.

CatKiller
April 1st, 2021, 10:16 PM
I still miss GrokLaw.

Me too.

I wonder if the owners are trying to get it bought by IBM. If they're small enough, it might be cheaper for IBM to buy the company than pay its lawyers.

I think that was SCO's hope, too. I don't think IBM are interested in anything but scorched earth that shows them completely in the clear.

QIII
April 2nd, 2021, 02:49 AM
None of the umpteen lawsuits brought by SCO ended in their favor. Zero.

DuckHook
April 2nd, 2021, 06:00 AM
None of the umpteen lawsuits brought by SCO ended in their favor. Zero.
I'm shocked. Positively shocked, I tell you. They had such a strong case. /s

QIII
April 2nd, 2021, 07:34 AM
Their final case, I believe, was "Oh, dear! We didn't know that we had published it under the GPL! No fair. We didn't intend that!"

It was worth a chuckle when the court said "Well, it worked out in the end because you never owned it anyway."

Paddy Landau
April 2nd, 2021, 09:13 AM
Not a problem with the browser. Javascript isn't mandatory. HTML is. It is a problem with the web page that they don't show the desired numbers when people DON'T have javascript enabled. My browser is working 100% correctly. Poor design by the company. Makes me wonder what else they do poorly ... besides web pages and lawsuits.
That's a little judgemental, I think. I use a CMS (WordPress with a theme that I bought) that happens to provide this functionality. As a user of this theme (rather than as a developer), it wouldn't have even occurred to me to test it without Javascript — I depend on the experts to figure out this sort of thing. (I don't use this specific functionality, but hypothetically, if I were to…)

I would say, from my point of view, that you have the technical knowledge to disable Javascript and therefore you know that this will hobble some websites. If you were to come across my website and I had this problem, it would definitely say nothing about the quality of my services!

But at least I've learned to test my website against a browser with disabled Javascript :)

Paddy Landau
April 2nd, 2021, 04:52 PM
This article provides a timeline.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/04/xinuos-finishes-picking-up-scos-mantle-by-suing-red-hat-and-ibm/

It's a bit of a "good grief" sensation.

Ubuntu is mentioned :)

QIII
April 2nd, 2021, 05:40 PM
Tardigrades.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150313-the-toughest-animals-on-earth

DuckHook
April 3rd, 2021, 02:58 AM
Tardigrades.
I am offended on behalf of Tardigrades.

Tardigrades have long and honourable histories. They are unassuming and do no harm. They are microscopic vacuum cleaners that fulfill an essential role in their ecological niche. Not least, they are cute.

SCO/Xinuos is opposite in every which way.

I'm feeling hurt for my little buddies. What do you have against Tardigrades? :frown:

grahammechanical
April 3rd, 2021, 04:26 PM
There is speculation that cockroaches can survive a nuclear blast. It is more myth than reality. I do not have a fondness for cockroaches but comparing lawyers to cockroaches would be an insult to cockroaches. After all, cockroaches are what they are because of their DNA. Lawyers choose to get pleasure and rich making the lives of other people miserable through using litigation as a tool for legal extortion. and who made it legal? Can't you guess?

Regards

tea for one
April 3rd, 2021, 08:55 PM
There is speculation that cockroaches can survive a nuclear blast. It is more myth than reality. I do not have a fondness for cockroaches but comparing lawyers to cockroaches would be an insult to cockroaches. After all, cockroaches are what they are because of their DNA. Lawyers choose to get pleasure and rich making the lives of other people miserable through using litigation as a tool for legal extortion. and who made it legal? Can't you guess?

Regards

I'll have a stab at this- it must be the colony of Tardigrades, they seem to be omnipotent

The Cog
April 4th, 2021, 11:43 AM
I'll have a stab at this- it must be the colony of Tardigrades, they seem to be omnipotent

Coincidentally, a BBC article on tardigrades: http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150313-the-toughest-animals-on-earth
Edit: Oops - duplicate. Shouldn't post that late at night, I guess.

tea for one
April 4th, 2021, 12:47 PM
Coincidentally, a BBC article on tardigrades: http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150313-the-toughest-animals-on-earth

Yes, I got my inspiration from post 13.

I had no knowledge of this species until I saw the link posted by QIII

zebra2
April 4th, 2021, 02:33 PM
Re: the OP
I don't know if saying this is socially acceptable but Its possible that those SCO folks are old farts by now and can't remember that they already sued. On another note it's also possible that those Tardigrades are responsible for the bit loss on removable media that we've been suffering for years. A bit here a bit there and pretty soon your talking about real data. I haven't seen a floppy disk in years! Actually I'm suffering from a bit of brain decay myself and I don't remember what I was putting on those 360kb disks.