PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install failure on Dell OptiPlex - I get the desktop but it's totally unresponsive

Sour Mash
March 19th, 2021, 04:51 PM
I'm trying to install 20.04 LTS as a dual boot on an Optiplex which is currently on a clean Windows install, so I'm trying to create a dual boot machine.

I've tried a few times with new download and USB stick image - it will boot OK into the try before you buy desktop but as it starts up the picture is incomplete, if I move the mouse around more of the image appears, enough to click "Try Ubuntu" - then it all seems to install OK and shows a desktop but it's unresponsive, can't select or click anything, including shut down or accessing the terminal.

I've run Speccy on the Windows build (typing this from the machine now) and I get the following info on the General tab

CPU
Intel Pentium G3440T @ 2.80GHz 50 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0VRWRC (SOCKET 0)
Graphics
T23d-10 (1920x1200@59Hz)
Intel HD Graphics (Dell)
Storage
119GB SAMSUNG SSD PM871 2.5 7mm 128GB (SATA (SSD))

As it feels like a graphics issue (I am guessing) here is the graphics info
Graphics
Monitor
Name T23d-10 on Intel HD Graphics
Current Resolution 1920x1200 pixels
Work Resolution 1920x1160 pixels
State Enabled, Primary
Monitor Width 1920
Monitor Height 1200
Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency 59 Hz
Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
Intel HD Graphics
Manufacturer Intel
Model HD Graphics
Device ID 8086-0402
Revision 7
Subvendor Dell (1028)
Current Performance Level Level 0
Current GPU Clock 598 MHz
Driver version 20.19.15.5063
Count of performance levels : 1
Level 1 - "Perf Level 0"
GPU Clock 600 MHz

Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong or attempting the impossible? It feels like what I'm trying is mundane and I should be able to do it without drama.

Thanks

J

Sour Mash
March 19th, 2021, 05:51 PM
Quick update, I'm posting this on the target machine having tried and failed to get Ubuntu or Kubuntu running from a USB stick. I am now running on Lubuntu! So far it's gone like it should, unremarkable.
I'm going to see if I can get it to install now! Can't say I like it but it's just a phase to go through!

Autodave
March 19th, 2021, 06:35 PM
What version of Windows are you running? What version of 'buntu are you trying to install? Fast boot disabled in BIOS?

Sour Mash
March 19th, 2021, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the response Auyodave.

It's Windows 10, has all updates installed

See original post, I was trying to install 20.04 LTS

I've got Lubuntu installed and running now. Bit strange but it won't connect using the wired connection, never had this issue but it won't connect through the network cable (as Windows does on the same machine). Plugged in a WiFi dongle and it's happy - weird