PDA

View Full Version : xrt : Depends: dkms (>= 2.2.0) but it is not going to be installed broken packages

goahead97
March 9th, 2021, 06:41 PM
Hello

I need to install a debian file in Ubuntu 18.04.4 by means of

sudo apt install ./xrt_202020.2.8.743_18.04-amd64-xrt.deb

but I get the following error:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'xrt' instead of './xrt_202020.2.8.743_18.04-amd64-xrt.deb'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xrt : Depends: dkms (>= 2.2.0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: uuid-dev (>= 2.27.1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Then I tried to run this:

sudo apt install dkms

and I got the following error:

Building dependency tree

dkms : Depends: gcc but it is not going to be installed
Depends: dpkg-dev but it is not going to be installed

Then I tried to run this:

sudo apt install gcc

and I got this error:

Building dependency tree

gcc : Depends: gcc-7 (>= 7.3.0-12~) but it is not going to be installed

I need to keep this Ubuntu release 18.04.4.

Does anyone have any idea or suggestion to be able to install the debian file in Ubuntu 18.04.4 without updating to a new release?

Thanks

CelticWarrior
March 9th, 2021, 07:16 PM
I need to keep this Ubuntu release 18.04.4.
No, you don't and it was explained why (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2458698&page=2&p=14024091#post14024091) already.
And point releases are not meant to be "static", never were, never will.
There are a few valid reason for wanting to keep a certain kernel series - drivers or other software - but keeping a specific kernel series doesn't impact the subsequent update to newer release points because all a release point mean is a more up-to-date ISO image (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2458809&p=14024231#post14024231) and that's why release points ONLY appear in LTS releases, releases that are supported for an extended period of time (3 to 5 years) therefore users benefit from not having to install tons of updates in one go. The newest release point includes all updates up to its release.

goahead97
March 10th, 2021, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the information.

Sorry, according to Xilinx website the only releases that are compatible with the 3 tools I need to use are Ubuntu 18.04.1, 18.04.2, 18.04.3 and 18.04.4

3 tools:
Alveo U50
Alveo U280
Vitis 2020.2

Find as follows the links to the screenshots of the Xilinx website where the required operating systems for each tool get displayed:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/lVzRkkuSeCDfLAliZyb_CoyjSXMN-zwd8cAoQJhPbf97fNzzQDo2vfR0xm8i07R4DcOc6H8sQtAV3Fk 6XTpmMY6CYmXqjQCzOLWChpe_-fdzZIsndmB45Ef5hMDCmpss2gumkuVS

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/yYwB8lPWhsVrQ3Aws-SXdGygKRoXHmjAjArlIvjlChR6RaqZdi8uqSaz64kUTmlQsD32 O1V-VBNcejXbY5XC2PzSVzUt4SNNnHRwFbrEF3KNptnnXWbx9cDCYg fyDjyFenMRpUcJ

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/MFC9QqiNAEj3ooH4epJDuEuDy6uSL6YyQ6ue7N8UVEU2C3Dj5A Hf1aVcugUFMOubPsnwb55nEfGua8HrEITNKRM86hZvsiGIdQk1 AZaoRNrvqa9wHyUzt4hBxYaKaWhjVJUw3PZQ

I already sent an email to Xilinx and they told me that if the website mentions the Alveo cards are compatible with Ubuntu 18.04, then they should be compatible with any release of Ubuntu 18.04. Nonetheless they also added with reference to Vitis 2020.2 that even though 18.04.5 is probably ok, installing one of the releases that, according to the explicit mention of their website, are officially compatible with Vitis 2020.2, is recommended.

I already downloaded Ubuntu 18.04.4 and I also installed it successfully. Right after installing this release I disabled all automatic updates to make sure that no change got made to the release I installed, that means Ubuntu 18.04.4. But I experienced the problems I already mentioned on my first post of this thread and I still do not how to overcome them.