PDA

View Full Version : Are you using a Microwave oven ? What recipes do you cook using your microwave?

linuxyogi
February 12th, 2021, 12:30 PM
I posted this on another forum but I am interested to know what my friends here has to say about the topic. I purchased my first microwave oven in 2018. For 2 years I didn't cook a single recipe. I just used it for reheating. Yesterday after watching some Youtube videos I cooked 2 dishes. I cooked Maggi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggi) & omelette. My next dish will egg pouch.
Purchasing a SOLO microwave was a mistake. I chose a SOLO model coz my plan was to reheat food only.

Are you using a Microwave oven ? Which model ? Other than reheating what recipes do you cook using your microwave ?

This is my microwave >> https://www.flipkart.com/electrolux-20-l-solo-microwave-oven/p/itmdx255gt2mhfhd

(https://www.flipkart.com/electrolux-20-l-solo-microwave-oven/p/itmdx255gt2mhfhd)

QIII
February 12th, 2021, 01:34 PM
We don't use them for cooking. Reheating only. Actually, one we use solely to entertain ourselves by bringing in eggs from the hen house and watching them explode. Drives the dogs nuts!

poorguy
February 12th, 2021, 03:32 PM
[QIII posted]
We don't use them for cooking. Reheating only.

Yep we only use ours for reheating food we've cooked on the stove or in the oven or outside on the grill and they're great for doing that.

I know people who live on microwave food Blah.

We also find the crockpot really useful for cooking all kinds of stuff and it's convenient for those who are to busy to cook or don't want to cook.

[QIII posted]
Actually, one we use solely to entertain ourselves by bringing in eggs from the hen house and watching them explode. Drives the dogs nuts!

That's hilarious. :lolflag:

A waste of good fresh eggs imo.

linuxyogi
February 12th, 2021, 03:34 PM
We don't use them for cooking. Reheating only. Actually, one we use solely to entertain ourselves by bringing in eggs from the hen house and watching them explode. Drives the dogs nuts!
I am just the opposite. In future when I have my own separate kitchen I wont install any gas oven at all. I will buy a more feature rich microwave (solo/grill/convection) & all my cooking will be done using the microwave.

linuxyogi
February 12th, 2021, 03:38 PM
We don't use them for cooking. Reheating only.
I know people who live on microwave food Blah.
I am going to join that club very soon.

poorguy
February 12th, 2021, 04:31 PM
I always thought a microwave was a microwave and didn't know there was any difference "microwave (solo/grill/convection)".

I hope the Wife doesn't discover these microwaves we don't need anymore cooking appliances in our kitchen taking up countertop real estate.

I kinda see why you want to go that route if space and time is limited and you can cook healthy meals in them instead of all of that processed packaged food.

I going to research them as a replacement and what all type of food can be cooked in them if our existing microwave decides to stop working.

Again always learning something I didn't know on Ubuntu Forums.

linuxyogi
February 12th, 2021, 04:35 PM
@poorguy
This is just to make your research easy. Read this >>>http://www.zelect.in/microwave-oven/types

poorguy
February 12th, 2021, 07:53 PM
Cool Thanks.

poorguy
February 12th, 2021, 10:46 PM
After doing some research I really don't need to buy a combo convection / microwave.

Went into my kitchen where one of these is setting on the counter and it can cook some of the same types of food that a countertop convection / microwave will cook so I don't really need to buy anything.

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/appliances/toaster_ovens/toa-60

I just thought it was a big toaster oven.

OH well still learned something I didn't know about what I already have.

TheFu
February 12th, 2021, 11:06 PM
My parents had a microwave very early - 1970s.
Post University, I bought a bed and a microwave, then moved to my first job and bought clothes for work.
We still own that microwave. It has a rotating platter, so foods heat more evenly. The rotation matters. This house came with a built-in, over-the-stove microwave that barely gets used. It is a little higher power, but doesn't cook evenly. It is also smaller.

The microwave is mostly for reheating. We "cook" a few times a week, usually in large batches (6-10 servings) that can be reheated later.

I cook shrimp, popcorn, and plain pasta in the microwave. They are crazy easy. Tried eggs, but found that to be way too much mess and they didn't taste right.

Uncooked shrimp is 1 minute with a little flavored oil or butter + seasoning. But frying shrimp on the stove is pretty easy too. I need to master shrimp gumbo still.

Microwave popcorn using a micro-wave bowl is amazing - buy one if you like popcorn. The cheapest bulk popcorn you can buy is fine. Then add whatever fats/toppings you like - oil, butter, cheese, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, whatever. We've been adding powered cheddar cheese recently. Fantastic! A few times every week, we'll make some for a movie night here.

Plain pasta is really easy with a predictable finished time that doesn't need to be watched. Just started doing it this way. Much easier and more predictable than boiling water on the stove.

I can't imagine NOT having a gas stove. When a winter storm comes through and knocks out power for 3+ weeks, the gas still works for heat and cooking. That's the difference between having to move out and pay for 30 days in a hotel and staying at home. If you live somewhere with milder winters or a whole-house generator, perhaps this isn't so important. One of my sisters lives where they have hurricanes. They have a whole-house generator after dealing with a few CAT-4/5 storms that knocked out power for 6 weeks. The generator uses natural gas for fuel. In my life, I've never known gas pipes to fail. If I lived far from the grid, I'd have at least a 500 gallon propane tank for power needs, if solar, wind, and battery banks didn't provide enough power for a cloudy 7-day period in winter. Something like this:
http://www.missiongas.com/images/500gallonpropanetank.jpg

malspa
February 12th, 2021, 11:50 PM
I've now gone about a year and a half without a microwave oven, after mine died. I was gonna go right out and replace it, then didn't get around to it, then started noticing that I didn't really miss it. I'm eating a lot healthier now, that's for sure! It would be nice to have one to heat certain things up, but I think I'll stick with going without.

DuckHook
February 13th, 2021, 12:25 AM
…Microwave popcorn using a micro-wave bowl is amazing - buy one if you like popcorn. The cheapest bulk popcorn you can buy is fine. Then add whatever fats/toppings you like - oil, butter, cheese, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, whatever. We've been adding powered cheddar cheese recently. Fantastic! A few times every week, we'll make some for a movie night here…
:popcorn:

\\:D/

QIII
February 13th, 2021, 06:56 AM
A waste of good fresh eggs imo.

We'd never actually do that, of course! What eggs we don't eat (and that is a lot!) we give away. It costs us very little to keep a lot of chickens, which we free range. We get more eggs than we could possibly eat and others can make use of them.

I had forgotten about popcorn. The microwave is ideal for that.

Natural gas to the range and the standby generator. We have a deep well for our water and our toilets are all fancy built-in bidet contraptions with electric pumps, so we can't do without electricity. We may be country bumpkins out on our farm but we are not savages! :)

poorguy
February 13th, 2021, 02:33 PM
We'd never actually do that, of course! What eggs we don't eat (and that is a lot!) we give away. It costs us very little to keep a lot of chickens, which we free range. We get more eggs than we could possibly eat and others can make use of them.

That's great that you give away the extra eggs.

We know a lady that sells eggs and we get several dozen at a time because we love eggs we also get homemade butter that she makes.

I had forgotten about popcorn. The microwave is ideal for that.

We make popcorn using a big old cast iron skillet with a Pyrex lid like we did when we were kids and I still love watching the sparks from sliding the skillet across the stove grates.

Natural gas to the range and the standby generator. We have a deep well for our water and our toilets are all fancy built-in bidet contraptions with electric pumps, so we can't do without electricity. We may be country bumpkins out on our farm but we are not savages! :)

I spent many a summer as a country bumpkin on my uncle's farm as a kid and learned all kinds of neat things about farming although being a kid at the time really didn't appreciate being there however as an adult I realized how fortunate I was to have spent the summers on the farm.

t0p
February 13th, 2021, 03:39 PM
I'm a reheater too. Kind of a waste I guess, as the microwave oven can do a lot more than reheating.

linuxyogi
February 13th, 2021, 03:46 PM
Do you have any recipes?
I started to use my microwave for cooking just a few days back. For the last two years I used it for reheating only.
What I am doing is as the first step I decide what I want to cook & then go to Youtube & search like this "<name of food> in micorwave".

For example :

maggi in microwave

Your new (edited) post

I'm a reheater too. Kind of a waste I guess, as the microwave oven can do a lot more than reheating.

I was doing the same thing for a little over two years.

echotech2
February 13th, 2021, 10:40 PM
Add me to the reheat and popcorn list.

francisbaud
March 6th, 2021, 07:49 PM
I already cooked omelet in the microwave, but surely it doesn't count as a recipe (one ingredient).

Tadaen_Sylvermane
March 7th, 2021, 04:06 PM
I have one in the house, it was built into the cabinets above the stove when I moved in. In my previous place I also had one. I don't cook much of anything in it. It's mostly just an overpriced clock with defrosting capability in my world. On occasion if I forgot to put water in the kettle for making broth (boullion based) the I'll use it to nuke some water to near boiling real fast. I know they say some stuff can be good, but between my wife and I we both are firm believers in stovetop / oven cooking wherever possible. I also make extensive use of my pressure cooker.

uRock
March 7th, 2021, 04:17 PM
Popcorn and reheating. I prefer my grill, crock pot, and dutch oven for cooking.

TheFu
March 7th, 2021, 05:27 PM
I already cooked omelet in the microwave, but surely it doesn't count as a recipe (one ingredient).

1 ingredient? Isn't that scrambled eggs, just over cooked?
Omeletts have eggs, milk, butter, and veggies/meats - all blended/whisked together.

Waitress:
What do you want in your omelette, sir?

Marty:
Nothing in the omelette, nothing at all.

Waitress:
Well, that's not technically an omelette.

Marty:
Look, I don't want to get into a semantic argument, I just want the protein.
From Grosse Point Blank

I have a passion for omeletts. ;)

hk42
March 7th, 2021, 06:43 PM
Any glass pot whose metal lid is very hard to open because of the vacuum inside ?
Less than one minute in the oven does the trick.

TheFu
March 7th, 2021, 07:11 PM
Any glass pot whose metal lid is very hard to open because of the vacuum inside ?
Less than one minute in the oven does the trick.

What trick is that? What foods?

SantaFe
March 8th, 2021, 01:55 AM
Microwaves lie! I put a potato in the microwave & pressed the Pop Corn button. When it dinged I opened the door and it was STILL a potato! :D

Microwaves are okay, but still use the oven/stove top more.

TheFu
March 8th, 2021, 02:06 AM
Tubers!!! Completely forgot those. I cook potatoes and sweet potatoes in the microwave too. 8m each poked and wrapped in a wet paper towel. Much faster than 45-60 min the oven at 450 deg.

CharlesA
March 8th, 2021, 04:25 AM
I don't really cook stuff in the microwave, but I've been spoiled by my air fryer.

Come to think of it, I haven't tried to cook a potato in the microwave in a long time.

Baked potato sounds yummy too...

corradoventu
March 25th, 2021, 10:51 AM
Much better than boiled for a medium size fish.

ajgreeny
March 25th, 2021, 11:54 AM
Tubers!!! Completely forgot those. I cook potatoes and sweet potatoes in the microwave too. 8m each poked and wrapped in a wet paper towel. Much faster than 45-60 min the oven at 450 deg.
That is also one of my major uses of the microwave along with the fish as mentioned by corradoventu; can't beat fish cooked in a covered dish with a slice of lemon and a bit of butter on top.
The potato always goes in the hot oven as well for 5 - 10 mins, if it's already hot, to crisp up the skin.
My mouth's watering already!

werner123
April 7th, 2021, 07:21 PM
The baked apples in my microwave come out just magical!

Wild_Duck66
April 12th, 2021, 09:10 AM
I use a convection microwave oven, cooks anything an electric oven can + microwave can join in. Pork, beef wrapped in foil watch me Star Trek and wait for the ding.