PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual boot HP Omen: Ubuntu shuts down with new battery charged, while Windows don’t

hdaniel
February 12th, 2021, 01:56 AM
Hi,

I have a HP Omen-15-ax009np notebook that ran dual boot managed by grub, for 3 years without issues:

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version: 19041.804

grub version: 2.04-1ubuntu26.8

This week I had to replace the old battery with a brand new.

The battery was charged overnight.

With battery fully charged and plugged also to the AC adapter, the notebook was reboot in Windows.

After login the AC adapter was unplugged. The first time it took some minutes until Windows shuts down abruptly, with no notification.

Tried again some more times. The last time Windows shutdown right as the notebook was unplugged form the AC adapter, suggesting a suddenly power failure.

Then I rebooted in Linux. The behaviour is the same. After a few seconds unplugged it shuts down. The battery was over 80% charged.

I went back to Windows, ran HP support assistant, updated BIOS firmware and all the drivers, and let the battery discharge until it the notebook shuts down again.

The booted in BIOS diagnostics, since there was yet some power in the battery, and ran a memory check until the computer shuts down to make sure battery is fully discharged.

Reboot again into BIOS and checked battery status. There was still some charge, about 40%.

Ran the memory test again until shutdown.

I had to do this about 4 ou 5 times to completely discharge the battery.

At this point the computer was not able to turn on by pressing the power button.

With the notebook turned off I connected the power adapter until power led turn whit, indicating full charge.

This should have done a manual battery calibration.

Booted again in windows with AC adapter plugged.

After login I unplugged the adapter and let it run on battery. It ran for about 6 hours.

Recharge again the battery to its full, with pc turned off.

But now, before booting, I unplugged the AC adaptor, then boot into grub and choose to start up Windows.

Windows almost started up. The computer shutdown just before the login screen. About 10 seconds after power on.

Plugged the AC adaptor again and rebooted Windows normally, then unplugged the adapter again.

The battery this way holds the notebook for about 6 hours.

Then I tried with Linux.

Same thing if booting in battery. The notebook shuts down just before the login screen.

But with Linux, even when booting with the AC adapter and then unplugged it, the battery does not hold many minutes. When indicator says 80% or so it shuts down. I tried several times.

Tried also to set kernel boot options in Linux to "noacpi" "acpi_osi=Linux" or "acpi_osi=Windows", but the behaviour is still the same.

The present state is:

cannot boot Windows or Linux from grub with battery, even if it is fully charged. The notebook shuts down right before the login screen. This is too strange, maybe a grub issue with ACPI (?).

If booting with AC adapter and then unplug after logging in Windows, the battery supplies the computer for about 6 hours.

But if booting with AC adapter and then unplug after logging in Linux, the battery holds the computer for about 30 minutes only. The battery have 80% charge or more, but the computer is still shutdown.

Maybe this is an ACPI issue but i couldn't figure it out.

Does anyone had battery issues like this?

I’ll appreciate any hints and suggestions,

thanks