PDA

View Full Version : 32-Bit Chroot How-To

Crad
April 7th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Most of this comes from http://digital-conquest.ath.cx/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu#Building_a_clean_32bit_chroot_with_debboots trap but I wanted to put together a cleaned up version that worked for me here (There are typos and inaccuracies on the wiki page).

Step 1:

sudo apt-get install dchroot debootstrap
sudo mkdir /chroot/
sudo gedit /etc/dchroot.conf

Add this line: hoary /chroot

sudo debootstrap --arch i386 hoary /chroot/ http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
sudo chroot /chroot/
dpkg-reconfigure locales

Step 2:
In another terminal window (or by existing chroot):

sudo gedit /chroot/etc/apt/sources.list
Add the following lines:

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary-security main restricted universe multiverse

(We do this step because gedit has yet to be installed in the chroot environment)

Step 3:
In your chrooted environment (chroot /chroot):

apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade

Step 4:

sudo cp /etc/passwd /chroot/etc/
sudo cp /etc/shadow /chroot/etc/
sudo cp /etc/group /chroot/etc/
sudo cp /etc/sudoers /chroot/etc/
sudo cp /etc/hosts /chroot/etc/
sudo gedit /etc/fstab
Add the following lines:

/home /chroot/home none bind 0 0
/tmp /chroot/tmp none bind 0 0
/dev /chroot/dev none bind 0 0
/proc /chroot/proc proc defaults 0 0
/media/cdrom0 /chroot/media/cdrom0 none bind 0 0
/usr/share/fonts /chroot/usr/share/fonts none bind 0 0

sudo mkdir /chroot/media/cdrom0
sudo mount -a
sudo gedit /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot
Add the following:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/dchroot -d "`echo $0 | sed 's|^.*/||'` $*"

sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot

Step 5:
In a new terminal:

dchroot -d
sudo apt-get install synaptic
sudo ln -s /usr/sbin/synaptic /usr/sbin/synaptic32
exit
sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot /usr/local/bin/synaptic32
sudo synaptic32

At this point you should have a 32 bit environment setup with synaptic setup. When you run synaptic32 from your main environment it will chroot execute it and all installations will be made to your 32 bit environment. If you want to be able to easily launch 32 bit chroot apps from your 64 bit environment symlink the app name to /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot. If you're using this as desktop system you'll probably want to use synaptic to install x, gnome, ubuntu specific themes, etc.

Please let me know of any errors, enhancements, or corrections :)

Crad
April 7th, 2005, 08:58 PM
To get Firefox setup with Flash I did the following:

Ran sudo synaptic32 (as noted in the above thread
Installed mozilla-firefox
dchroot -d
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libesd.so.0 /usr/lib/libesd.so.1
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/firefox32
exit
sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot /usr/local/bin/firefox32
Made sure all instances of firefox are closed (you can not run both 32 and 64 bit firefoxes at the same time afaik... it just spawns a new 64 bit thread when you launch the old.
firefox32
Visited a site with flash on it and ran the automated firefox flash install.

As of right now sound is not working. If I figure out how to get the sound stuff working across the chroot, I'll post it here.

wmcbrine
April 7th, 2005, 09:10 PM
To get sound working, you need to mount --bind /dev /chroot/dev (or the equivalent fstab line).

In my case, I also had to add my username to the right group to have permission to write to /dev/dsp; but that was because I was using my old Mandrake system as the chroot, and it used a different number for the audio group. For an Ubuntu chroot, you should be set already.

In another thread, someone said it was also necessary to modprobe ioctl32 before starting the chroot. I've not found that to be the case here, but perhaps that's because my chroot is using OSS. (?)

wmcbrine
April 8th, 2005, 01:26 AM
P.S.:

sudo chmod 777 /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot

Should be 755 -- there's no reason for this script to be world-writable.

Crad
April 8th, 2005, 01:35 AM
P.S.:

Should be 755 -- there's no reason for this script to be world-writable.

Fixed

wmcbrine
April 8th, 2005, 05:07 AM
You have "/chroot" in most places, but "/var/chroot" for the fstab lines. They should be "/chroot" too.

I've followed this guide (more or less), and I can confirm that sound works just by mounting /dev. For the record, that's:

in /etc/fstab. (However, I also killed esd long ago, just to get sound working on the 64-bit side, and set everything to alsa then; I don't know if that makes a difference.)

I now have two chroots on my system -- /old32 and /new32. :) (/old32 is where my old distro is, but I also need /new32 for more current software, like Acroread 7.) I added "-c new32" to my do_dchroot script, since I have old32 as the default.

Another thing I added is the "linux32" command (in the package of the same name). Put this before dchroot, and the 32-bit apps will think they're running under an i686 kernel -- which is necessary in some cases (mainly install scripts).

Re Flash, you can install it from Synaptic. In fact there are, confusingly, two conflicting packages. I chose the big one -- the small one is apparently just a wrapper for Macromedia's installer.

Themes are a little off for the 32-bit apps. But that could be an advantage, since it reminds me which version I'm using. :)

Now we need a list of what hasn't been ported to 64-bit. (Another thread, perhaps.)

Crad
April 8th, 2005, 07:29 PM
You have "/chroot" in most places, but "/var/chroot" for the fstab lines. They should be "/chroot" too.

I've followed this guide (more or less), and I can confirm that sound works just by mounting /dev. For the record, that's:

in /etc/fstab. (However, I also killed esd long ago, just to get sound working on the 64-bit side, and set everything to alsa then; I don't know if that makes a difference.)

I now have two chroots on my system -- /old32 and /new32. :) (/old32 is where my old distro is, but I also need /new32 for more current software, like Acroread 7.) I added "-c new32" to my do_dchroot script, since I have old32 as the default.

Another thing I added is the "linux32" command (in the package of the same name). Put this before dchroot, and the 32-bit apps will think they're running under an i686 kernel -- which is necessary in some cases (mainly install scripts).

Re Flash, you can install it from Synaptic. In fact there are, confusingly, two conflicting packages. I chose the big one -- the small one is apparently just a wrapper for Macromedia's installer.

Themes are a little off for the 32-bit apps. But that could be an advantage, since it reminds me which version I'm using. :)

Now we need a list of what hasn't been ported to 64-bit. (Another thread, perhaps.)
Thanks, I updated and fixed the /var bit. Sound isn't working for me, perhaps I need to set everything to alsa. You can fix themes if you're so inclined by installing the ubuntu artwork and ubuntu base (I think).

remkio
April 10th, 2005, 12:39 PM
The do_dchroot script was giving me problems, as parameters like:

This\ is\ a\ filename\ with\ spaces.txt

were translated into:

This is a filename with spaces.txt

causing the 32-bit program (totem) to not being able to open the file.

I solved it in the following way:

#!/bin/sh

for arg; do
arg=`echo $arg | sed -e 's/ /\\\ /g'`
args=`echo $args $arg`
done

/usr/bin/dchroot -d "`echo $0 | sed 's|^.*/||'` $args"

There should be a shorter way, however I am no expert in shell scripting.

dreadnought
April 10th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Many thanks Crad, having followed your instructions I am now able to chroot into 32 bit hoary. I nearly gave up and returned to 32 system but am now a confirmed 64-bitter.
\\:D/

gratefulfrog
April 10th, 2005, 05:35 PM
I've followed the instructions at the head of this thread, but when I reach step 5, I get some problems.... then it all falls apart...

Any help? Thanks!

~$ dchroot -d
Executing shell in 'hoary' chroot.
dchroot: chdir: No such file or directory
dchroot: Child exited non-zero.
dchroot: Operation failed.
~$
But the following happens without the -d option

~$ dchroot
No directory, logging in with HOME=/
/$exit
logout
~$ synaptic32
(hoary) synaptic32
:~$

remkio
April 10th, 2005, 10:00 PM
I've followed the instructions at the head of this thread, but when I reach step 5, I get some problems.... then it all falls apart...

Any help? Thanks!

Either reboot or mount all the partitions/links you added to fstab with

sudo mount /chroot/...

dreadnought
April 11th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Having studied this thread and got things working ok I gather I should be able to chroot into a 32 bit Hoary system that is already installed providing I mount the partition as /chroot in my 64bit Hoary. Is this correct?

mips
April 11th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Step5:

reon@mamoth:~$ apt-get install synaptic
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
reon@mamoth:~$ sudo apt-get install synaptic
Password:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done

,,,,,,,,,,text deleted.................

I had to add sudo xxxx to all th elines in step 5. Am I doing something wrong ?

Crad
April 11th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Step5:

I had to add sudo xxxx to all th elines in step 5. Am I doing something wrong ?
No that was correct, I updated the original.

mips
April 11th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Crad,

Thanks for the idiot proof guide, makes life easy for us noobs.

Where to from here ?

thanks
mips

raid517
April 12th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Hi, I have got this pretty much working now. But one thing I don't get is how do I make desktop icons of the applications I install? Say for example I wanted to install a 32Bit version of Kaffeine (and I really do want to install a 32Bit version of Kaffeine) would I have to run it all the time as su or could I run it as an ordinary user?

I tried installing kaffeine the way that is set out above - but it failed miserably,

GJ

raid517
April 12th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Also, how do I install 32 bit apps in the chroot environment that are not in the repositories - or in .deb format? For example, what about real player, or flashplayer (since I can't find a site that will install it automatically) or crossover office, or things like this?

My main interest is to have these items as desktop icons in KDE and to be able to run them as I normally do.

GJ

capriciousmind
April 12th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the guide. One question though, I installed firestarter 32 bit using the method described and everything is good until I try to start it. It says my kernel does not support ip tables does anyone know why it would say that?

raid517
April 12th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I'm realy not trying to be sarcastic, but maybe it really is because your kernel doesn't support IP tables?

Perhaps you should add them?

GJ

raid517
April 12th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Also, Is there any chance anyone could adapt this guide so that I can install a standard debian unstable distribution as my chroot environment? I ask as there are several unoffical packages I would like that are only avaiable for unstable/sid. You can potentially add these repositories to your /chroot/etc/apt/sources.list, if you are using Ubuntu as your chroot - but this is likely to cause significant problems with many applications - as you will essentially be running a mixed environment. Already I found dependency conflicts when I tried to install mplayer, when I was told that mplayer from deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main conflicted with libavcodec2 from the official Ubuntu universe repositories. I have only just learned what a huge mistake it can be to run mixed environments - as as time goes on these conflicts only tend to increase in number, until it is impossible to install anything. (Those running mixed environments may not have found this out already - but they will eventually).

There are lot's of advantages to having a pure debian unstable install as your chroot environment. Not least because of the sheer volume of packages that are avaiable (both official and unnoficial) far more indeed than can be found on the Ubuntu repositories. But more than this is the frequency of updates. I find it odd as a long term (2 years) debian user to do an apt-get dist-upgrade after a couple of days and to find zero new packages on the repositories. In the real debian world by that time there would normally have been tens of megabytes if not hundreds worth of avaiable updates.

Also if I do want to install a package that is not in synaptic and/or apt-get such as a .deb or crossover office or a crossover office (or wine) application application, or flash for firefox or whatever and I wanted an icon on my 64 bit user desktop for any 32bit application I install, can someone please tell me how to do this? It seems like a big part of the guide is missing in this regard.

Can anyone offer any input at all?

GJ

Crad
April 12th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Hi, I have got this pretty much working now. But one thing I don't get is how do I make desktop icons of the applications I install? Say for example I wanted to install a 32Bit version of Kaffeine (and I really do want to install a 32Bit version of Kaffeine) would I have to run it all the time as su or could I run it as an ordinary user?

I tried installing kaffeine the way that is set out above - but it failed miserably,

GJ
What I've been doing for that is making my own launchers manually. I've yet to come up with anything automatic for that... For example, I had 64-bit OOo installed, but it had lots of problems, so I installed it in the chroot. Then I went through linked the files to stuff like oowriter32. I then modified the launchers for OOo to point to the 32 bit ones and now I have the icons. That won't work in every scenario and is a bit of a pain... but hey we are bleeding edge now aren't we? ;-)

Crad
April 12th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Crad,

Thanks for the idiot proof guide, makes life easy for us noobs.

Where to from here ?

thanks
mips
Was thinking of making a Wiki entry, and also it looks like figuring out some sort fo bridge to the menus on the 32 bit side would be good.

Crad
April 12th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the guide. One question though, I installed firestarter 32 bit using the method described and everything is good until I try to start it. It says my kernel does not support ip tables does anyone know why it would say that?
I can't think of a reason why the chroot wouldn't see iptables if the kernel supported them. Have you inserted the module?

gmr@gmr-dev:/proc$ sudo modprobe ip_tables
gmr@gmr-dev:/proc$ sudo iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

capriciousmind
April 12th, 2005, 06:10 PM
I'm realy not trying to be sarcastic, but maybe it really is because your kernel doesn't support IP tables?

Perhaps you should add them?

GJ

That is what I thought at first too, but I checked synaptic and sure enough they were installed.

Can you compile firestarter from source to use in 64 bit?

capriciousmind
April 12th, 2005, 06:19 PM
I can't think of a reason why the chroot wouldn't see iptables if the kernel supported them. Have you inserted the module?

gmr@gmr-dev:/proc$ sudo modprobe ip_tables
gmr@gmr-dev:/proc$ sudo iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Would I need to do this if synaptic shows the ip table package is installed ?

Crad
April 12th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Yes, though you can just try "sudo iptables -L" to see if it's already inserted. (That's the only reason why I issued that command after the modprobe).

capriciousmind
April 12th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Yes, though you can just try "sudo iptables -L" to see if it's already inserted. (That's the only reason why I issued that command after the modprobe).

ok thanks, I should have thought of this earlier but can firestarter be installed from source in 64 bit? Then I wouldnt have to go through this, and it would make more since its my base system.

raid517
April 12th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Damn, there are just too many problems with it. I have Kaffeine installed, but it complains that it 'can't connect to the Xserver' whenever I try to open a file. Worse still Kaffeine needs access to kernel drivers to work my TV card - and it can't see these in chroot. There is a 64Bit version of kaffeine - but all the codecs it needs to play mutimedia files and TV streams are in 32 bit - so catch22 I'm afraid.

So it's back to 32 bit for me - and pure debian sid - so I don't have to deal with all of these conflicts between custom distros and the official debian source tree.

Fortunately I've found a bleeding edge distro that will do exactly that. (Or at least it promises to). KANOTIX looks at least promising. Almost excusively debian sid - with a lot of neat features thrown in...

I think it will be a couple of years before everyone get's up to speed on 64Bit - particularly in terms of codecs. But it is at least good that some people are working on it.

GJ

mthaddon
April 13th, 2005, 01:37 AM

Ran synaptic32 (as noted in the above thread
Installed mozilla-firefox
dchroot -d
ln -s /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/firefox32
exit
ln -s /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot /usr/local/bin/firefox32
Made sure all instances of firefox are closed (you can not run both 32 and 64 bit firefoxes at the same time afaik... it just spawns a new 64 bit thread when you launch the old.
firefox32
Visited a site with flash on it and ran the automated firefox flash install.

As of right now sound is not working. If I figure out how to get the sound stuff working across the chroot, I'll post it here.

I tried this, and I have verified that I have the 32bit version of firefox running, but I get the following message:

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /home/mthaddon/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so [libXmu.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]

I've checked that the file exists:

ls -l /home/mthaddon/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 mthaddon mthaddon 2096844 2004-05-20 07:34 /home/mthaddon/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Any idea what's happening here?

---------------------------------

Resolution:

Found out I needed to install libxmu6 - fixed the problem. Now have 32bit firefox version running nicely.

Thanks, Tom

skwashd
April 13th, 2005, 05:00 AM

Any help? Thanks!

~$ dchroot -d
~$
But the following happens without the -d option

~$ dchroot
No directory, logging in with HOME=/
/$exit
logout
~$ synaptic32
(hoary) synaptic32
:~$

I had the same problem, easy to fix. Just add this bit which is missing from the instructions:

Step 4
$ sudo gedit /etc/fstab
Add the following lines:
<snip />
$ sudo mount -a
$ sudo gedit /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot

wmcbrine
April 13th, 2005, 09:34 AM
I have Kaffeine installed, but it complains that it 'can't connect to the Xserver' whenever I try to open a file.
That's what happens when /tmp isn't mounted in the chroot (mount --bind /tmp /chroot/tmp, or via fstab).

Worse still Kaffeine needs access to kernel drivers to work my TV card - and it can't see these in chroot.
If you mean, it can't see the devices, you need to mount --bind /dev /chroot/dev (see my post above). If you mean it can't see the modules, don't worry; only the kernel needs to see them.

There is a 64Bit version of kaffeine - but all the codecs it needs to play mutimedia files and TV streams are in 32 bit
I'm not familiar with kaffeine, but that doesn't sound right. I can tell you, I run 64-bit MPlayer, VLC and Xine here, and they can play almost everything with only their native (64-bit) codecs.

minuo
April 13th, 2005, 09:44 AM
A bit of googling about no sound from flash with chroot (and esd) led to this:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/03/msg00337.html

To sum it up, flash looks for /usr/lib/libesd.so.1 (in chroot), so, symlink (in chroot) /usr/lib/libesd.so.0 to /usr/lib/libesd.so.1 and now I have sound. FWIW, I do have esound installed on chroot, but I'm not sure if its needed and I did modprobe snd-ioctl32 per a comment earlier in this thread...also not sure if that is needed.

Hope that helps anyone wanting sound with flash+chroot+esd

--m

Crad
April 13th, 2005, 08:35 PM
I had the same problem, easy to fix. Just add this bit which is missing from the instructions:

Step 4
$ sudo gedit /etc/fstab
Add the following lines:
<snip />
$ sudo mount -a
$ sudo gedit /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot
Thanks, updated!

Crad
April 13th, 2005, 08:48 PM
A bit of googling about no sound from flash with chroot (and esd) led to this:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/03/msg00337.html

To sum it up, flash looks for /usr/lib/libesd.so.1 (in chroot), so, symlink (in chroot) /usr/lib/libesd.so.0 to /usr/lib/libesd.so.1 and now I have sound. FWIW, I do have esound installed on chroot, but I'm not sure if its needed and I did modprobe snd-ioctl32 per a comment earlier in this thread...also not sure if that is needed.

Hope that helps anyone wanting sound with flash+chroot+esd

--m
This worked for me as well, thanks!

dimatrod
April 16th, 2005, 04:14 PM
When I get to step 5 and enter dchroot -d, it gives me the folowing message:

diego@jarkorpc:~$ dchroot
dchroot: Invalid input line /etc/dchroot.conf:12
dchroot: Error reading config file '/etc/dchroot.conf'.

Any ideas?

raid517
April 17th, 2005, 01:14 AM
That's what happens when /tmp isn't mounted in the chroot (mount --bind /tmp /chroot/tmp, or via fstab).

If you mean, it can't see the devices, you need to mount --bind /dev /chroot/dev (see my post above). If you mean it can't see the modules, don't worry; only the kernel needs to see them.

I'm not familiar with kaffeine, but that doesn't sound right. I can tell you, I run 64-bit MPlayer, VLC and Xine here, and they can play almost everything with only their native (64-bit) codecs.
Thanks. Just one thing though, is there a way to install official Debian unstable in my chroot directory?

I would just prefer this as there are a much wider range of applications for Debian unstable, they are updated more frequently and I can use debian unstable unofficial repositories without worrying that later down the line I am going to run into some kind of dependency conflict or other. (Running a mixed environment from different repositories is never a good idea. For those who have no discovered this yet, sooner or later you will end up running into unresolvable dependancy issues).

I assume it is just a case of changing the address in the intitial instructions? But what address should I use?

GJ

Sam
April 18th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Thank you Crad for this how to, it worked well ! Also thank you mthaddon for your note about libxmu6.

Great work ! :-)

St-Ex
April 19th, 2005, 11:45 PM
I can tell you, I run 64-bit MPlayer, VLC and Xine here, and they can play almost everything with only their native (64-bit) codecs.

Very interesting... I have been trying to get Mplayer installed through synaptic, but no luck; there is still this pbm of dependencies. Would you be kind enough to tell me how you got it working?

Cheers, ;-)

Crad
April 20th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Very interesting... I have been trying to get Mplayer installed through synaptic, but no luck; there is still this pbm of dependencies. Would you be kind enough to tell me how you got it working?

Cheers, ;-)
I use mplayer in the chroot, but vlc works just fine in 64 bit mode. I've only run divx stuff through it (as I just got the sound working). I installed it via synaptic.

St-Ex
April 20th, 2005, 07:35 PM
I use mplayer in the chroot

I'll have a go myself... :neutral:

EDIT:

No luck... How did you get it to work?
Thx.

Daz_Man
April 20th, 2005, 09:52 PM
having problems half way through step 4 of the instructions. i get to the part before it says "sudo mount -a", but when i run this command it says "mount: mount point /chroot/media/cdrom0 does not exist". i have looked in the /chroot/media folder but there is nothing in there. have i forgot to do something?

Crad
April 20th, 2005, 11:36 PM
having problems half way through step 4 of the instructions. i get to the part before it says "sudo mount -a", but when i run this command it says "mount: mount point /chroot/media/cdrom0 does not exist". i have looked in the /chroot/media folder but there is nothing in there. have i forgot to do something?
comment out the line in /etc/fstab for /chroot/media/cdrom0 then.

Crad
April 20th, 2005, 11:38 PM
I'll have a go myself... :neutral:

EDIT:

No luck... How did you get it to work?
Thx.
I installed mplayer via synaptic32 (read using the dochroot bit). I tested in dchroot -d before making the symlinks. if you run mplayer via comandline in dchroot -d what kind of errors do you get?

tlepes
April 21st, 2005, 12:02 AM

...some other stuff about chroots...
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libesd.so.0 /usr/lib/libesd.so.1
...more clipped stuff regarding chroots...

Thanks! You are awesome. I have been looking for that nugget of knowledge. I have not had sound working in my Hoary Firefox and Flashplayer at all until now. I had given up on it for a while, even. I am just running Hoary 32bit for now but have an AMD64 and was poking in here for tips on 32bit app support before I dive in.

I get sound in Firefox now! What a nice surprise!

Peace,
Tim

Ephack
April 22nd, 2005, 10:33 PM
First of all: THANK YOU! :) It's really very helpfull and thanks to you I can now view flash animations on my Ubuntu64.

My only remark is that I can have both version of Firefox working at the same time: it won't work if I make a Gnome launcher, but if I launch firefox32 from the shell, a new window of firefox32 appears, even if firefox64 is already runing

My next problem is for the sound... But I have already problems on my 64bits system, so I'm not sure I have any chance to have it to work in the chroot... Nobody spoke of OSS... Did somebody already try with it?

amarra
April 24th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Hi to all,

this is my first message in the Ubuntu Forums after my registration. :)
I've a suggestion for this excellent HOWTO.
I think that it may be useful to add the following line in the /etc/fstab

so that fonts from the 64 bit environment become available to the 32 bit chrooted environment. My 32 bit Firefox won't list all the fonts on my system before.
I hope this can be useful to someone.
Bye

downtime
April 24th, 2005, 08:34 PM
this is somewhat of an addition to amarra's post. i'm trying to use some Windows apps with cxoffice in a 32bit chroot. the apps themselves run fine, but the fonts i have installed in the 64bit userspace don't show up. that makes perfect sense, but i can't figure out how to get the fonts installed in the 32bit chroot. has anyone gotten this working or even have some suggestions on getting it working?

dmatrix
April 25th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Thanks Crad and everyone else that helped with this thread. I have updated the Cedega/Ubuntu Wiki page with all the modified details from this thread and the previous Wiki page.

http://digital-conquest.ath.cx/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu

CospeFogo
April 26th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the guide. It's very clear and straightforward. However, I couldn't get the Flash plugin working in firefox32. I visited one site that required the plugin, made the automatic firefox plugin install, and when the page reloaded, the plugin was still missing.

I have also tried to restart the browser and every time the installation ended apparently successfully, but it never appeared.

Any tips for me?

mthaddon
April 26th, 2005, 04:38 PM
See my earlier post (page 3 I think). Basically, I'd recommend starting it from a console and seeing what error message you get:

I tried this, and I have verified that I have the 32bit version of firefox running, but I get the following message:

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /home/mthaddon/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so [libXmu.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]

I've checked that the file exists:

ls -l /home/mthaddon/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 mthaddon mthaddon 2096844 2004-05-20 07:34 /home/mthaddon/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Any idea what's happening here?

---------------------------------

Resolution:

Found out I needed to install libxmu6 - fixed the problem. Now have 32bit firefox version running nicely.

Thanks, Tom

CospeFogo
April 26th, 2005, 05:06 PM
That´s the exact error message I get. Am I supposed to install libxmu6 inside the chroot?

Thanks a lot.

dmatrix
April 26th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Yes. Take a look here for an updated version.

http://digital-conquest.ath.cx/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu#Building_a_clean_32bit_chroot_with_debboots trap_on_AMD64

Ephack
April 26th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the guide. It's very clear and straightforward. However, I couldn't get the Flash plugin working in firefox32. I visited one site that required the plugin, made the automatic firefox plugin install, and when the page reloaded, the plugin was still missing.

I have also tried to restart the browser and every time the installation ended apparently successfully, but it never appeared.

Any tips for me?
It didn't work for me too this way. But as mentionned in a previous post in this topic, it works using the package flashplayer-mozilla. At least, it worked on my Ubuntu Hoary... :)

And for my sound problem? Did anybody succeed in usind sound in a chroted environment with OSS server?

CospeFogo
April 27th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Worked like a charm. Sound also. No configuration was needed at all, I just ran synaptic32 and selected libxmu6.

Thanks a lot.

DutchLau
April 27th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Admins, this should be a "Sticky" thread please :-P

Excellent "Howto"! Clean, clear, concise! Great job,

Cheers, DutchLau

St-Ex
April 28th, 2005, 10:14 AM
I installed mplayer via synaptic32 (read using the dochroot bit). I tested in dchroot -d before making the symlinks. if you run mplayer via comandline in dchroot -d what kind of errors do you get?

Thx for your reply, Crad; unfortunately I was away...
Here are the errors I get if I tape gmplayer in dchrrot -d; if I
tape mplayer, I only get the help lines...

vo: X11 running at 1280x1024 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0.0" => local display)
Opening joystick device /dev/input/js0
Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0 : Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
Can't init input joystick
Setting up LIRC support...
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
Failed to open LIRC support.
You will not be able to use your remote control.

Gtk-WARNING **: Impossible de localiser le module chargeable dans module_path : « libbluecurve.so »,
New_Face failed. Maybe the font path is wrong.
Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).
subtitle font: load_sub_face failed.

hiddenleaves
April 28th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Hi. The HOWTO looks excellent but unfortunately I can get no further than halfway through Step 1.

When running the command "sudo debootstrap --arch i386 hoary /chroot/ http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu" it gets as far as "I: extracting libc6-i686..." then stops. Nothing crashes or anything, but the setup process only ever gets this far.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks...

idn
May 5th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Great, thanks alot, works great, but if i wanted to remove it would all i have to do is delete the /chroot/ dir or would more steps be required.

Just there may be space issues for me.

daniele
May 5th, 2005, 06:43 PM
The same happened also to me.

daniele@bsdx:~$ dchroot -d
daniele@bsdx:~$

But, since my home directory links to /usr/home (FreeBSD issue),
I just have to change the current dir to another location

daniele@bsdx:~$ cd /
daniele@bsdx:/$ dchroot -d
daniele@bsdx:/$

Now it works fine !

cheers
daniele

Sam
May 9th, 2005, 04:04 PM
<snip />

Step 4:
<snip />
Why not make symlinks instead of copying the files ? The changes aren't reflected to the chroot environnement...

flex447
May 10th, 2005, 08:07 PM
I tried to set up the 32bit chroot and when I added my cdrom in fstab to /chroot/media/cdrom0 and I went into the chroot enviroment with dchroot -d I couldnt access my cdrom drive.

Crad
May 12th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Why not make symlinks instead of copying the files ? The changes aren't reflected to the chroot environnement...
Because when you're in your chroot env, they will symlink to themselves.

Crad
May 12th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Hi to all,

this is my first message in the Ubuntu Forums after my registration. :)
I've a suggestion for this excellent HOWTO.
I think that it may be useful to add the following line in the /etc/fstab

so that fonts from the 64 bit environment become available to the 32 bit chrooted environment. My 32 bit Firefox won't list all the fonts on my system before.
I hope this can be useful to someone.
Bye
Thanks, added!

sud_crow
May 13th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Hi,
This is my first post in the forum, i used your tutorial and worked almost perfectly :)

Here is a tip for those who want to share partitions with Windows.

Mounting FAT32 partitions in the CHROOT enviroment

Here is my #CHROOT section at /etc/fstab, this goes in the 64bit enviroment fstab

## CHROOT!
#/media/cdrom0 /chroot/media/cdrom0 none bind 0 0
/mnt/win1 /chroot/mnt/win1 none bind,umask=0000,dmask=0000,uid=0002,gid=users,user s 0 0
/mnt/win2 /chroot/mnt/win2 none bind,umask=0000,dmask=0000,uid=0002,gid=users,user s 0 0
/mnt/win0 /chroot/mnt/win0 none bind,umask=0000,dmask=0000,uid=0002,gid=users,user s 0 0

Now the problems.

Cant get audio to work, mPlayer displays this error:

Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound

Also, i cant get XMMS to work on 64bit
I get this error:

libmikmod.so.2: no se puede abrir el fichero del objeto compartido: No existe el fichero o el directorio

That means, "cant open the file of the shared object: the file doesnt exist or the directory."

This is not a translation error, thats the message, as confusing as it sounds. (at least for me)

so i sayd well, i make him run in 32bit mode (i dont know if MP3 works in 64bit, i guess it does), but ](*,) i have no sound! and besides that, the thing freezes at the first file i try to play with it...

This are the issues im having... so, any ideas??
Thanks for all the work done here!

Sykil
May 14th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Hrm...

sykil@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install dchroot debootstrap
Password:
E: Couldn't find package dchroot

Fascination
May 18th, 2005, 04:09 PM
When I try to run "apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade" in chroot for the first time, it throws up;

root@balamb:/# apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade
Err http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security Release.gpg
Temporary failure resolving 'security.ubuntu.com'
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security Release
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security/main Packages
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security/restricted Packages
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security/universe Packages
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security/multiverse Packages
Err http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security/main Packages
Err http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security/restricted Packages
Err http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security/universe Packages
Err http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security/multiverse Packages
Err http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary Release.gpg
Temporary failure resolving 'archive.ubuntu.com'
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary Release
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/main Packages
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/restricted Packages
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/universe Packages
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/multiverse Packages
Err http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/main Packages
Err http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/restricted Packages
Err http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/universe Packages
Err http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/multiverse Packages
Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hoary/Release.gpg Temporary failure resolving 'archive.ubuntu.com'
Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hoary-security/Release.gpg Temporary failure resolving 'security.ubuntu.com'
Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hoary-security/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz Temporary failure resolving 'security.ubuntu.com'
Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hoary-security/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz Temporary failure resolving 'security.ubuntu.com'
Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hoary-security/universe/binary-i386/Packages.gz Temporary failure resolving 'security.ubuntu.com'
Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hoary-security/multiverse/binary-i386/Packages.gz Temporary failure resolving 'security.ubuntu.com'
Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hoary/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz Temporary failure resolving 'archive.ubuntu.com'
Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hoary/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz Temporary failure resolving 'archive.ubuntu.com'
Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hoary/universe/binary-i386/Packages.gz Temporary failure resolving 'archive.ubuntu.com'
Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hoary/multiverse/binary-i386/Packages.gz Temporary failure resolving 'archive.ubuntu.com'
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/restricted Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary_restricted_b inary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/universe Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary_universe_bin ary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/multiverse Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary_multiverse_b inary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary-security_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security/restricted Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary-security_restricted_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security/universe Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary-security_universe_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security/multiverse Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary-security_multiverse_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/restricted Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary_restricted_b inary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/universe Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary_universe_bin ary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/multiverse Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary_multiverse_b inary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary-security_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security/restricted Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary-security_restricted_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security/universe Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary-security_universe_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security/multiverse Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary-security_multiverse_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

Any ideas regarding why it cant find the servers? If I try to go on, when it gets to the stage where I enter; "sudo mount -a" it replies;

mount: mount point /chroot/usr/share/fonts does not exist

Fascination
May 18th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Just had a thought; could it be anything to do with the fact that I have an alcatel speedtouch usb modem? It has to be set up with additional drivers on a fresh install - would this mean that it would need to be set up on the new 32bit chroot?

Heliode
May 18th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Hmm... just a thought: could a procedure similar to this be used to install a Ubuntu system from scratch from a live-cd like Knoppix, much in the same way you would install Gentoo? Could be nice for people who like having an optimized system!

zaro
May 19th, 2005, 08:01 AM
There is such thing alredy.
Debian From Scratch (http://people.debian.org/~jgoerzen/dfs/html/)

fritzi7
May 19th, 2005, 11:27 PM
comment out the line in /etc/fstab for /chroot/media/cdrom0 then.

Shouldn't you just not forget to create the directory /chroot/media/cdrom0

The same happens with the mounting point for /media/cdrom0, so you have to add
"sudo mkdir /chroot/media/cdrom0" to your guide before mounting the whole lot or am I completely wrong?

By the way, @crad: thanks a lot fo ryour brilliant guide

fritzi7
May 19th, 2005, 11:31 PM
mount: mount point /chroot/usr/share/fonts does not exist

Just create the directory of the mounting point before executing the mount-command:

sudo mkdir /chroot/usr/share/fonts

Fascination
May 20th, 2005, 04:36 AM
Thats worked, but what about the apt-get isssue? When I go to run gedit in the next step it cant find it (because of course its not installed in chroot as the apt-get didnt work)

caravela
May 21st, 2005, 05:39 AM
HI i Would like to add some things that i found while i installed my chroot.
this code
#!/bin/bash
for arg; do
args=`echo $args $arg`
done
/usr/bin/dchroot -d "`echo $0 | sed 's|^.*/||'` $args"

doesn't work well with some filenames for example if it has a "(" it will not work
solution:
#!/bin/bash
for arg; do
args=`echo $args $arg`
done
/usr/bin/dchroot -d "`echo $0 | sed 's|^.*/||'` \"$args\""
added a \" before and after the $args
Also iam pretty sure that for is useless and that this line will work

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/dchroot -d "`echo $0 | sed 's|^.*/||'` \"$@\""

zxc
May 21st, 2005, 11:50 AM
root@ubuntu:/# sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo: unable to lookup ubuntu via gethostbyname()
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/main Packag es (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary_main_binary-i386_Pa ckages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/restricted Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary_restricted_b i nary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/universe Pa ckages (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary_universe_bin ary -i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/multiverse Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary_multiverse_b i nary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security/m ain Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary-security _main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security/r estricted Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary-se curity_restricted_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security/u niverse Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary-secu rity_universe_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.ubuntu.com hoary-security/m ultiverse Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hoary-se curity_multiverse_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
root@ubuntu:/# postdrop: warning: unable to look up public/pickup: No such file or directory

I get that :-?

benkong2
May 25th, 2005, 04:09 AM
did you mkdir /chroot
[-X

Fascination
May 27th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Yep. I followed the instructions to the letter.

wisu
May 31st, 2005, 09:05 AM
because my system authencticates to an LDAP server

I added libpam-ldap libnss-ldap using synaptic32
followed the ncurse configuration gui

copied the following configs to the chroot env
/etc/pam.d/sudo
/etc/pam.d/common-account
/etc/pam.d/common-password
/etc/pam.d/common-session
/etc/nsswitch.conf

thats it... it works for me... Thx Crad

tseliot
June 17th, 2005, 09:45 PM
If you want to be able to easily launch 32 bit chroot apps from your 64 bit environment symlink the app name to /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot.

What does this mean? can you write this step by ste, please?

Thanks (Sorry I'm a newbie)

FLeiXiuS
June 17th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Oh boy, so where to start with this one. I'm guessing it's just a huge problem with the repo's. I hope so :-P. As kassetra already knows I've

$ time `rm -Rf /`

Several times just to releive my frustration. Well turns out, there's a problem install postfix when it's downloaded off the repo's. It'll get to configuring then all hell breaks loose.

Postfix configuration was untouched. If you need to make changes, edit
/etc/postfix/main.cf (and others) as needed. To view Postfix configuration
values, see postconf(1).

After modifying main.cf, be sure to run '/etc/init.d/postfix reload'.

Running newaliases
postalias: warning: valid_hostname: misplaced delimiter: x0ne.hsd1.md.comcast.net.
postalias: fatal: file /etc/postfix/main.cf: parameter myhostname: bad parameter value: x0ne.hsd1.md.comcast.net.
dpkg: error processing postfix (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

Not to sure why it's having a hard time with me. I blame comcast most of all :-p.

Anyways, I've been through several attempts to limit what problems could be causing this solution, no methods have worked so far.

All help would be appreciated! Thank you.

joekr
June 19th, 2005, 02:00 AM
Guide worked like a charm...

I've got a 32bit Firefox rocking the web with flash plugin!

Next, I'm going to install WINE & DVD Decrypter!

skylark
June 19th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Doh,

installation fails step1 for me:
$ sudo apt-get install dchroot debootstrap
Package debootstrap is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package debootstrap has no installation candidate

I've got universe enabled in my /etc/apt/sources.list ... am I missing something?

Edit: Fixed it - I needed to uncomment more lines in my sources.list, sorry.

lukus001
June 20th, 2005, 12:01 PM
I've been able to install 32bit firefox, realplayer etc.. via this chroot method, but realplayer lacks a lot of codecs...

is there anything "special" thing you need to do, to get the codecs running on to realplayer 32?

skylark
June 21st, 2005, 06:07 AM
I managed to set this up, and have firefox, flash, totem-xine, and the java plugin working fine. My realplayer install sort of works but has major issues (lockups etc) when playing streams.

I think this chroot ideas is good - but what I would really like to do is set it up so that I dont have to share any partitions except maybe /dev with the chroot environment. That is - create a "chroot jail" where firefox and all the plugins reside. This would be really secure... only problem is I don't know how to get the Xwindows stuff working this way (I run into permission issues).

Anyone have any ideas?

Red_Menace
June 23rd, 2005, 01:59 AM
Anyone know of a guide that explains what all of this does, step by step? I'd like to know what I'm doing. I'm pretty green when it comes to linux.

mizunoX
June 23rd, 2005, 05:03 AM
I followed all of the instructions from the first post, then I installed firefox as per the second post.

My problem is that when I run firefox32 it loads the 64 bit version...
I tried removing both versions of firefox, the installing just the 32bit version with synaptic32. Guess what? When I load firefox32, it's still showing as the 64bit one!

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

*edit* nevermind, it was the 32bit version. I was seeing AMD64 in help/about and it was throwing me off. Everything works perfectly, thanks for the how-to!

joekr
June 23rd, 2005, 08:15 PM
Does anyone know how I would be able to enable hardware acceleration within the chroot environment?

Please follow the link and help me out :D (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=225962#post225962)

filemanager
July 6th, 2005, 08:59 PM
I'm just a little confused. Does this turn your amd64 system into a 32bit system, or does it allow you to install 32bit software *as well as* 64bit software?

Also, aside from firefox and that, how do you install other 32bit programs, just normally as their documentation says?

ngolian
July 11th, 2005, 10:15 PM
I use this in /usr/local/bin/do_chroot :

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/dchroot -d "`echo $0 | sed 's|^.*/||'` `for i in "$@"; do echo -n '"'$i'" '; done`"

This way I can pass exotic characters in my command lines eg the brackets in Firefox's -remote command syntax and ampersands in URLs.

Crad
August 2nd, 2005, 08:04 PM
I'm just a little confused. Does this turn your amd64 system into a 32bit system, or does it allow you to install 32bit software *as well as* 64bit software?

Also, aside from firefox and that, how do you install other 32bit programs, just normally as their documentation says?
It allows you to have 32 bit binaries and libraries in your 64 bit system so you can execute programs that dont have well working 64-bit binaries, like say OOo.

gordyt
August 4th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Resolution:

Tom thank you for posting this! I had just setup the chroot environment on my machine yesterday afternoon and was having the exact same problem.

Regards,
--gordon

pobstil
August 20th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Hey I found this thread hoping to answer my questions, but havn't quite got it. Now I'm wondering if you can answer them for me.

I'm trying to set up a webserver, in which my mates can host their own websites. So I want to setup a user for them, so they can logon remotely via ssh, and have their website hosted in their home directory. But want I don't want them to be able to access the rest of the system. Even though I know they can't do anything because they wont have root permissions, I just want them to be able to access their home folder, and just their home folder. I thought I could do this my chrooting their user, can anyone expand on this, help me out, or point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for any hints and tips. :)

rvleeuwen
August 22nd, 2005, 02:59 PM
For me it was necesarry to add non-network local to the access control list
of X (i use debian amd64/testing/unstable btw)

Add the following:

* #!/bin/sh
* xhost + local:
* /usr/bin/dchroot -d "`echo $0 | sed 's|^.*/||'` $*"

greyhound4334
August 26th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Has anyone gotten the acrobat reader plugin to work with the chroot 32-bit firefox?

I've installed the plugin, and it shows up with "about:plugins", but when I click on a link to a pdf file I just get a blank window.

Anyone do this successfully? Any tips/tricks?

Thanks!

tseliot
August 26th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Has anyone gotten the acrobat reader plugin to work with the chroot 32-bit firefox?

I've installed the plugin, and it shows up with "about:plugins", but when I click on a link to a pdf file I just get a blank window.

Anyone do this successfully? Any tips/tricks?

Thanks!
It worked great for me. I installed it in (the chrooted) Synaptic.

zarathustra
August 31st, 2005, 04:01 PM
I'm trying to install something on Wine but I can't see any files on the CD in my 32 bit environment.

lestial
September 3rd, 2005, 09:30 PM
well as you can see this is my first post here. i'm loving this distro / community because through you guys i actually have my ati card working lol. i'm trying to set up the 32 bit environment as per this guide.. but i'm getting these errors.

Errors were encountered while processing:
postfix
at
mailx
mutt
postfix-tls
ubuntu-base
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
jimbo@ubuntu:~$ sudo ln -s /usr/sbin/synaptic /usr/sbin/synaptic32
jimbo@ubuntu:~$ exit
exit
jimbo@ubuntu:~$ sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot /usr/local/bin/synaptic32
jimbo@ubuntu:~$ sudo synaptic32
(hoary) synaptic32

(synaptic32:28009): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_unref_tree_helper: assertion `node != NULL' failed

any help would be appreciated, i'm all aquiver at the idea of finally being able to leave behind windows. if i can get this 32 bit setup.. set up, then wow working.. i wouldn't need windows for anything anymore :)

tear
September 7th, 2005, 07:24 PM
I get this massage and it's starting to irritate me

$ sudo apt-get install synaptic
Package synaptic is not available, but is referred to by another package.
E: Package synaptic has no installation candidate

draugen
September 7th, 2005, 08:02 PM
instead of:

# sudo cp /etc/passwd /chroot/etc/
# sudo cp /etc/shadow /chroot/etc/
# sudo cp /etc/group /chroot/etc/
# sudo cp /etc/sudoers /chroot/etc/
# sudo cp /etc/hosts /chroot/etc/

you can use:

# sudo mount --bind /etc/passwd /chroot/etc/passwd
# sudo touch /chroot/etc/shadow
# sudo mount --bind /etc/shadow /chroot/etc/shadow
# sudo mount --bind /etc/group /chroot/etc/group
# sudo mount --bind /etc/sudoers /chroot/etc/sudoers
# sudo mount --bind /etc/hosts /chroot/etc/hosts

with the appropriate entries in /etc/fstab of course.

then changes from the 64bit host system will be propagated to the 32bit chroot.

And for installing debian sid in the chroot:
# debootstrap --arch i386 sid /chroot <url-to-local-debian-mirror>

hope this helps :)

Ephack
September 8th, 2005, 08:19 PM
[QUOTE=tear]I get this massage and it's starting to irritate me

Hello Tear!
Perhaps you should re-do steps 2 and 3. Seems as if you did'nt update apt.

trinaryouroboros
September 20th, 2005, 11:40 PM
I firstly want to thank you all for making a fantastic guide to setting up this hybrid.

To reward those whose efforts contributed to troubleshooting this firefox32 install, I have a simple trick to get sound working in Flash, provided you followed the first post's steps to set it up.

Close Firefox first, then from terminal (root or chroot doesn't matter) type:

killall esd

Start firefox32 from chroot, and voila! SOUND is back!

trinaryouroboros
September 20th, 2005, 11:42 PM
instead of:

# sudo cp /etc/passwd /chroot/etc/
# sudo cp /etc/shadow /chroot/etc/
# sudo cp /etc/group /chroot/etc/
# sudo cp /etc/sudoers /chroot/etc/
# sudo cp /etc/hosts /chroot/etc/

you can use:

# sudo mount --bind /etc/passwd /chroot/etc/passwd
# sudo touch /chroot/etc/shadow
# sudo mount --bind /etc/shadow /chroot/etc/shadow
# sudo mount --bind /etc/group /chroot/etc/group
# sudo mount --bind /etc/sudoers /chroot/etc/sudoers
# sudo mount --bind /etc/hosts /chroot/etc/hosts

with the appropriate entries in /etc/fstab of course.

then changes from the 64bit host system will be propagated to the 32bit chroot.

And for installing debian sid in the chroot:
# debootstrap --arch i386 sid /chroot <url-to-local-debian-mirror>

hope this helps :)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=361939&posted=1#post361939

killall esd

restart firefox32 - sound is back.

trinaryouroboros
September 21st, 2005, 07:37 AM
At this point you should have a 32 bit environment setup with synaptic setup. When you run synaptic32 from your main environment it will chroot execute it and all installations will be made to your 32 bit environment. If you want to be able to easily launch 32 bit chroot apps from your 64 bit environment symlink the app name to /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot. If you're using this as desktop system you'll probably want to use synaptic to install x, gnome, ubuntu specific themes, etc.

I have an issue with this chroot. I've modified the fstab slightly, in the first post, here's the only add's :

#

* /media/cdrom0 /chroot/media/cdrom0 none bind 0 0
* /media/cdrom1 /chroot/media/cdrom1 none bind 0 0
* /usr/share/fonts /chroot/usr/share/fonts none bind 0 0

# sudo mkdir /chroot/media/cdrom0
# sudo mkdir /chroot/media/cdrom1

Now after reboot, I can access cdrom0 and cdrom1 just fine with my normal interface:

root@w0-rm-h0-l3:/media # cd cdrom0
root@w0-rm-h0-l3:/media/cdrom0 # ls
autorun.exe DirectX7 _INST32I.EX_ Readme.txt _sys1.cab
autorun.ico Docs ip.cfg _Setup.dll _sys1.hdr
autorun.inf Dsetup.dll Ip.exe Setup.exe Tapsplash640.bmp
ConfigINI.exe dxMedia.exe _ISDel.exe SETUP.INI _user1.cab
data1.cab Eaukhelp.hlp lang.dat setup.ins _user1.hdr
data1.hdr Eula.txt layout.bin SetupInstall.exe
DATA.TAG FinalSetup.exe os.dat setup.lid

But, when I try to access these drives from chroot :

root@w0-rm-h0-l3:/media/cdrom0 # chroot /chroot
root@w0-rm-h0-l3:/ # cd /media
root@w0-rm-h0-l3:/media # cd cdrom0
root@w0-rm-h0-l3:/media/cdrom0 # ls
root@w0-rm-h0-l3:/media/cdrom0 #

Nada, zip, zilch.

What am I doing wrong here? There's got to be some way to get the cdroms to be recognized and mountable in the chroot here...

Sockpuppet
September 28th, 2005, 01:04 AM

I don't quite understand this. Using this and calling "do_dchroot firefox --verbose", the script will call

/usr/bin/dchroot -d "do_dchroot firefox --verbose"

so it will call do_dchroot in the chrooted directory, which isn't there.

Is there some bit I am missing?

Sockpuppet
September 28th, 2005, 01:16 AM

Yes, you can. You have to modify /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox for this. The PING_STATUS will determine if the script uses an existing browser running on the X server or if it starts a new one, It's enough to add these two lines:

diff -c5 /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox /chroot/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox
*** /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox 2005-09-22 20:02:48.000000000 +0200
--- /chroot/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox 2005-09-28 01:53:55.000000000 +0200
*** 367,376 ****
--- 367,379 ----
DISPLAY="${CMDLINE_DISPLAY}" ${MOZ_PROGRAM} -remote 'ping()' \
> /dev/null 2>&1
PING_STATUS=$?
fi

+ # force standalone start
+ PING_STATUS=2
+
echo_vars PING_STATUS

# Clean user profile if we are not trying to use the running instance and only
# if the check was successful (status 2)
if [ "${REMOTE}" -eq 0 ] && [ "${TRY_USE_EXIST}" -eq 0 ] && [ "${PING_STATUS}" -eq 2 ]; then

I have also added a diversion of the .mozilla folder in /etc/fstab to make sure that the two browsers are not interfering with each other

/home/sockpuppet/.mozilla32 /chroot/home/sockpuppet/.mozilla none bind 0 0

For that, one has to mkdir ~/.mozilla32, of course.

One bad thing about the the "remote" call used by the Mozilla shellscripts (http://www.mozilla.org/unix/remote.html) to find an existing browser instance is that one cannot tell if it is talking to the 32 or the 64 bit browser.

So I still need to find out how one can make sure that clicks in other applications will always be opened by the 64 bit browser.

Sockpuppet
September 28th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Yes, you can.

Problem is, of course, that now the two browsers look absolutely identical. (In my case, there is one difference: German menus for 64 bit and English for 32 bit, but that's too subtle to notice it while working with it.)

Is there any way I can force a colour scheme onto firefox, so that I can run the 32 bit firefox with a different menu / background colour?

Sockpuppet
September 28th, 2005, 01:54 AM
Is there any way I can force a colour scheme onto firefox, so that I can run the 32 bit firefox with a different menu / background colour?

I have "solved" this now by using a suitably ugly firefox theme for the 32 bit version to tell them apart. But I don't really like this, so I will try to find a way to change the application's GTK colour theme through the console.

Also, the firefox callup script needs to be changed to identifying the 32 and the 64 bit apps on the system. Right now, I can close the 64 bit version and if I then try to restart it, "remote ping" will find the already running 32 bit version and open a new window there.

benkong2
September 30th, 2005, 06:41 PM
I have an amd64 with breezy installed and have run into the following problem:

I took these steps:
# sudo apt-get install dchroot debootstrap
# sudo mkdir /chroot/
# sudo gedit /etc/dchroot.conf

* Add this line: hoary /chroot

# sudo debootstrap --arch i386 hoary /chroot/ http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
# sudo chroot /chroot/

now when I get to the sudo chroot /chroot/

I get this error:
"chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory"
all goes well until I execute this command the chroot dir is in the / directory I tried cd /chroot/ then issuing the command got the same error.

Since all others have had such great success I know it must be my error.

Thanks for any help.

benkong2
September 30th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Hey thanks nevermind I figured it out. bad on me I did not place a space between the hoary /chroot/ and the http: stuff so debootstrap made my directory structure /chroot/http:/archive/ubuntu/com/ubuntu/ then I got the normal directory structure.

So I did a:
cd /http:/archive/ubuntu/com/ubuntu/
sudo mv * /chroot/
sudo rm -drf /chroot/http:

after that all worked well now I am after flash-macromedia. Which BTW is the only reason I needed to do this in the first place.

Thanks for what I know would have been a great answer.

kb_ganesh
October 2nd, 2005, 07:41 PM
i work from behind a proxy server..so, i guess you can add a section in the first post mentioning how to first set the proxy settings for wget(which is used by the 4th step, namely
sudo debootstrap --arch i386 hoary /chroot/ http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu )..which involves editing ~/.wgerc to include these lines..

http_proxy = <proxy_addy>
use_proxy = on
wait = 15

i dont think anyone would use wget at all what with d4x and synaptic to do all the work..just a thought..(came out of personal experience :) )

alesdoc
October 8th, 2005, 08:33 PM
in my laptop the howto does'nt work. If i write:

dchroot -d

i receive

Executing shell in 'breezy' chroot.

but if i give

i receive nothing...so i can't proceed with the howto.

if i write
exit

i receive this:

i've added
snip /

ideas?

vox
October 10th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the howto :) Have one problem tho. When trying to run a 32bit app from within the 64bit environment, i get this error:

vox@Hagalaz:~$ vlc32
(breezy) cho /usr/local/bin/vlc32 | sed 's|^.*/||'
bash: cho: command not found

but if i run it from within the 32bit enviro, it works fine. What've i done wrong? :)

***Edit***

Gah ok. this was an issue with the joe editor. I'll go crawl back under my rock now.. :)

perfektion
October 11th, 2005, 06:06 PM
i don't find howto erase messeges.
so i cant erase this.
so i type is instad.

puiphooey
October 12th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Hey nice FAQ. Maybe you want to add an addendum. If you want to do this with an ATI graphics card and use propreitary drivers, you have to add this to your do_dchroot:

#!/bin/sh

xhost + local:

And if you want 3d Acceleration after making sure your /dev is mounted correctly, install (k/x)ubuntu-desktop through synaptic32.

Duali
October 18th, 2005, 10:20 PM
I have followed the how-to almost trought, but when I try to install synaptic I get this:

teppo@kotikone:~$ sudo apt-get install synaptic
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
synaptic: Depends: libapt-pkg-libc6.3-5-3.9
Depends: libfontconfig1 (>= 2.2.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libglade2-0 (>= 1:2.5.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.6.0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.8.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libvte4 (>= 1:0.11.12) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libxft2 (> 2.1.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: scrollkeeper but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
teppo@kotikone:~$

Any ideas? Oh, and I have breezy installed so I have changed hoary -> breezy during the how-to

puiphooey
October 19th, 2005, 04:50 PM
O and another nice addendum:

#!/bin/sh

xhost + local:

temp=`echo $0 | sed 's|^.*/||'`
command=`echo $temp | sed 's/32/ /'`

for arg; do
args=`echo $args $arg`
done

/usr/bin/dchroot -d "$command $args"

This verison doesn't require you to create another symlink in the chroot, something I found annoying.

jtinel
October 20th, 2005, 02:05 AM
I have followed the how-to almost trought, but when I try to install synaptic I get this:

teppo@kotikone:~$ sudo apt-get install synaptic
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
synaptic: Depends: libapt-pkg-libc6.3-5-3.9
Depends: libfontconfig1 (>= 2.2.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libglade2-0 (>= 1:2.5.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.6.0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.8.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libvte4 (>= 1:0.11.12) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libxft2 (> 2.1.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: scrollkeeper but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
teppo@kotikone:~$

Any ideas? Oh, and I have breezy installed so I have changed hoary -> breezy during the how-to

Exact same problem here. I believe I have followed the instructions exactly, with the exception of changing hoary to breezy wherever it appeared.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
jt

feight
October 20th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Having problems, to start, I'm running Breezy as well. I cannot get the chroot to install with or without changing hoary to breezy in the commands, in both cases, even after deleting and recreating the /chroot/ folder I get stuck at...

I: Checking component main on http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu...
for several several minutes.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently I was more patient the last time I did this, not used to the lack of information on progress.

feight
October 20th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Exact same problem here. I believe I have followed the instructions exactly, with the exception of changing hoary to breezy wherever it appeared.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
jt

I had the same problem as well, until I realized that at the step where you edit the chroot sources.list I didn't replace hoary with breezy.

feight
October 20th, 2005, 08:38 AM
I have a 32bit chroot made up of breezy... only problem is, due to my want to trailblaze I've run into a snag. Firefox32 runs fine... but I can install the macromedia flash plugin a dozen times and restart the computer and it keeps insisting I don't have it and the flash movies don't run.

EDIT: Well, overlooking the obvious, I installed flashplayer-mozilla... long story short, problem solved. I just wish I knew why installing the application through firefox didn't work like it has the last few chroots I've attempted.

!nkubus
October 21st, 2005, 04:19 AM
WOW that trick is really nice. You saved me, now I can play my games, flash sites, and quicktimes movies... well not aaaallll of them but a lot of them :)

Navyblue
October 25th, 2005, 07:04 PM
I have been in following the how to. I am running Breezy, but still following the Hoary chroot, as someone here recommends to follow word by word unless I know what I am doing. Anyway when I reached the final step of "sudo synaptic32", I get this:

(hoary) synaptic32
bash: synaptic32: command not found

At the step of "sudo apt-get install synaptic", it doesn't seem to work. I got this message:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = "en_SG:en",
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_SG.UTF-8"
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
Preconfiguring packages ...
dpkg: syntax error: unknown group `postdrop' in statusoverride file
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

Any clue?

cmo
October 28th, 2005, 07:28 AM
I'm having the same problem as Navyblue, except my locale settings are set to en_GB.

Any ideas....

Cheers

cmo

Update: I've matched the locale settings with the system settings and it seems to get past that error, but now it's stuck on:

while installing synaptic.

Any ideas?

Cheers

cmo

Navyblue
October 29th, 2005, 02:54 AM
I have installed a couple more of locale and the locale error message went away as well. Now I got the same message as CMO.

Btw, I also get the same error at "apt-get upgrade"

Does anyone still looking at Hoary forum except for those who are looking for an answer?

gk_jam
November 9th, 2005, 02:09 AM
I'm a total newbie to Linux, just got set up with Breezy and trying to follow this howto. In Step 1, first few commands go good, until

sudo chroot /chroot/

When I do that, the terminal pops up this message:

chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory

I look inside my /bin and there's a file bash. Anyone know why it's doing this, and how to fix?

Ephack
November 9th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Hello gk_jam! I've experienced the same problem while installing my chroot. What I did it simply delting the whole /chroot directory and doing everything again from the beginning. And it worked! I've no idea where the problem came from and if you have the same, but for me it worked ike that...

Good luke ;)

legout
November 11th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Hi this is a very long thread;-) and i won´t read all that is written there.

So is there a howto in the wiki, or can anybody tell me where i can find the completly howto in the forums?

THANKS

Legout

Snifffurt
November 14th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Hi

I've made symbolic Links to the files in etc in stead of copying them. It works at a glance, and makes syncing of the files at changes obsolete.

user@host:/chroot/etc$ pwd
/chroot/etc
user@host:/chroot/etc$ sudo ln -s /etc/passwd passwd
user@host:/chroot/etc$ sudo ln -s /etc/shadow shadow
user@host:/chroot/etc$ sudo ln -s /etc/group group
user@host:/chroot/etc$ sudo ln -s /etc/sudoers sudoers
user@host:/chroot/etc$ sudo ln -s /etc/hosts hosts

Regards

Snifffurt

(Edited)

Oups.... This seems not to be working. Today FF and Acroread didn't start out of the 32Bit chroot. After changing back the links they where working again....

pjs_flyer
November 15th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Excellent guide - works well in Breezy too.

Quick (and probably dumb) question, though. Having installed the chroot environment, everything seems to be replicated in my chroot environment, including all the stuff in home, so I've got copies of all of the documents, pdfs, spreadsheets etc that I use in my 64bit breezy. Given that I only use the chroot environment for firefox (and potentially other "troublesome" apps), is it safe to delete these copy documents from my chroot environment? And is there anything else that can be deleted wholesale?

Cheers

P

Ephack
November 15th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Euh... I would'nt do that pjs!

Your /chroot/home directory is not a copy, but a link to /home. I didn't do the test, but if I'm not wrong, if you empty your /chroot/home directory, you will have an also empty /home directory, which is probably not your intention :p

pjs_flyer
November 16th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Said it was a dumb question - lucky I asked! Thanks Ephack!

nalmeth
November 18th, 2005, 12:19 PM
ok, i am running breezy, and am not sure if anybody will even read this, but I followed the exact same procedures, replacing 'hoary' with 'breezy'. Everything was successful up to step 5.

here is my /etc/dchroot.conf:
# /etc/dchroot.conf
#
# This file configures the chroots that users can access with the 'dchroot'
# command. Input lines consist of a description and a path separated by
# whitespace. If more than one input line is present the first will be the
# default chroot.

# Example : the following line enables a chroot called 'stable'
# located at /chroot/stable

#stable /chroot/stable
#breezy /chroot

and here is what happens when executing dchroot -d:

nalmeth@ubuntu:~$ dchroot -d
dchroot: No chroots found in config file '/etc/dchroot.conf'.

any ideas?

thanks in advance!

Snifffurt
November 19th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Hi

and here is what happens when executing dchroot -d:

nalmeth@ubuntu:~$ dchroot -d
dchroot: No chroots found in config file '/etc/dchroot.conf'.

any ideas?

I think you should comment out a chroot, otherwihse dchroot will not know where to chroot to:

# /etc/dchroot.conf
#
# This file configures the chroots that users can access with the 'dchroot'
# command. Input lines consist of a description and a path separated by
# whitespace. If more than one input line is present the first will be the
# default chroot.

# Example : the following line enables a chroot called 'stable'
# located at /chroot/stable

#stable /chroot/stable
breezy /chroot

HTH

Best Regards

Snifffurt

Jeffj
December 1st, 2005, 01:19 AM
jjm@moped:~$ dpkg-reconfigure locales
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure must be run as root

Jeffj
December 1st, 2005, 01:36 AM
did you mean exiting?

rplantz
December 6th, 2005, 05:32 AM
All seemed to go well, but acroread32 doesn't work. I need to dchroot first.

I have

bob@robert:~$ ls -l /usr/local/bin/
total 8
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 2005-12-04 20:38 acroread32 -> /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 62 2005-12-04 20:18 do_dchroot
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 2005-12-04 20:25 synaptic32 -> /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot
bob@robert:~$ cat /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot
#!/bin/sh

When I do

sudo synaptic32

it runs, but

bob@robert:~$ acroread32
(breezy) acroread32
bash: acroread32: command not found

However,

bob@robert:~$ dchroot -d
bob@robert:~$ acroread
bob@robert:~$

works fine.

I'm confused.

Edit on 12/6/05

Okay, I figured it out. I needed to link app_name32 to app_name. That is

bob@robert:~$ dchroot -d
bob@robert:~$ which acroread
/usr/bin/acroread
bob@robert:~$ cd /usr/bin/
bob@robert:/usr/bin$ sudo ln -s acroread acroread32
bob@robert:/usr/bin$ exit
exit
bob@robert:~$ acroread32

and it works!

Ferrat
December 10th, 2005, 04:26 AM
Hmm I figure it's a update problem or something but at the last step I get

holo@Holokauston:~$ sudo synaptic32
(hoary) synaptic32
holo@Holokauston:~$

Tried redoing update and install but that won't override and stops.

----------------

Think I found it

Running

I get an error after unpacking it all

I: Extracting whiptail...
I: Extracting zlib1g...
I: Installing core packages...
W: Failure trying to run: chroot /chroot dpkg --force-depends --install var/cach e/apt/archives/base-files_3.1.0ubuntu3_i386.deb var/cache/apt/archives/base-pass wd_3.5.9_i386.deb

Any ideas?

--->> NVM got it work, had missed to replace the horay with breezy ^^

rplantz
December 17th, 2005, 07:11 PM
I'm a total newbie to Linux, just got set up with Breezy and trying to follow this howto. In Step 1, first few commands go good, until

sudo chroot /chroot/

When I do that, the terminal pops up this message:

I look inside my /bin and there's a file bash. Anyone know why it's doing this, and how to fix?

Same thing happened to me. Then I realized that in the command

sudo debootstrap --arch i386 breezy /chroot/ http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu

I had left out the space between "/chroot/" and "http://..." because I was viewing the text in a proportional font. A copy and paste revealed my error.

After my error, the ls /chroot command showed

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu

I deleted the entire /chroot/ directory and started over again. When done correctly, the last line read:

I: Base system installed successfully.

and I see (in another terminal):

bob@ubuntu:~$ ls /chroot
bin dev home initrd media opt root srv tmp var
boot etc http: lib mnt proc sbin sys usr
bob@ubuntu:~$

draven
December 20th, 2005, 11:10 PM
[me@host ~]$ sudo apt-get install dchroot debootstrap
Package dchroot is not available, but is referred to by another package.
E: Package dchroot has no installation candidate

Am I the only one with this problem?

My source.list contains

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy main restricted
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-updates main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-updates main restricted
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security main restricted

Do I need any others?

John Mytton
December 21st, 2005, 02:27 AM
Thanks for this - now I can get my wine on!

(The windows emulator, that is...)

draven
December 21st, 2005, 04:31 PM
Packages are in Universe from /etc/apt/sources.list

[me@host ~]$ sudo apt-get install dchroot debootstrap
Package dchroot is not available, but is referred to by another package.
E: Package dchroot has no installation candidate

Am I the only one with this problem?

My source.list contains

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy main restricted
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-updates main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-updates main restricted
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security main restricted

Do I need any others?

draven
December 21st, 2005, 06:42 PM
In order to get FF32 and Flash working I had to manually install Flash by copying the files to the plguins dir. Then using synaptic32 I installed libXmu-dev.

EDIT:

Now I'm having a problem where I can't close any TABS in FF. If I hit the red X, use right-click // close-tab it just won't close. I can open new ones though. It works in the 64bit FF but not the chroot 32bit. It also reports no errors in the console.

Randomskk
January 10th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Heh. Just a brief post, but if you have made the chroot and decide you want to get rid of it, it seems taking out the new lines in fstab, doing mount -a and then rm -rf /chroot really isn't the best idea.
I ended up wiping my /home, /tmp, /dev etc.
After that I just went su, rm -rf /, because I always wanted to try that, but yeah.

Ooops. >.<.

wishyjr
January 10th, 2006, 03:51 PM
hiya, ran through your HOWTO and it seems to have worked! cheers! i did get this error when running sudo mount -a though:
[mntent]: warning: no final newline at the end of /etc/fstab

can anyone tell me what this means?

also, im trying to run stuff with wine but im getting an error that looks like this:

paul@ubuntu:~$ wine /DATA/stuff/Brain.exe
(breezy) wine /DATA/stuff/Brain.exe
wine: cannot find '/DATA/stuff/Brain.exe'

any ideas? thank you.

Damburger
January 11th, 2006, 06:13 AM
hiya, ran through your HOWTO and it seems to have worked! cheers! i did get this error when running sudo mount -a though:
[mntent]: warning: no final newline at the end of /etc/fstab

can anyone tell me what this means?

also, im trying to run stuff with wine but im getting an error that looks like this:

paul@ubuntu:~$ wine /DATA/stuff/Brain.exe
(breezy) wine /DATA/stuff/Brain.exe
wine: cannot find '/DATA/stuff/Brain.exe'

any ideas? thank you.

I'm guessing its because the file in quest isn't in the 32 bit directory structure

I'm having a related problem - I want to know how I can directly execute a program using wine and chroot, in a single command. The path name of the program I want to wine has spaces in it, but for some reason the "s get stripped out in the process.

wishyjr
January 11th, 2006, 02:14 PM
cheers. yeah, i thought that not long after i'd posted my question.

regarding yours though, about executing stuff directly through chroot, i used this:

sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot /usr/local/bin/wine

it seems to work, but then again i havent tried it out yet. :) i can get xwine to run through it though.

werewolves
January 21st, 2006, 05:32 PM
I have been in following the how to. I am running Breezy, but still following the Hoary chroot, as someone here recommends to follow word by word unless I know what I am doing. Anyway when I reached the final step of "sudo synaptic32", I get this:

(hoary) synaptic32

At the step of "sudo apt-get install synaptic", it doesn't seem to work. I got this message:

LANGUAGE = "en_SG:en",
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_SG.UTF-8"

Any clue?

Anyone have a solution for this yet? I am having exactly the same issues.

EDIT:
no idea why but I decided to try changing all 'hoary' references to 'dapper' and it worked fine, and I have FireFox 1.5 :)

tartarin
January 26th, 2006, 10:39 AM
sarac@zenc:~$ dchroot -d
sarac@zenc:~$ sudo apt-get install synaptic
Password:
The following extra packages will be installed:
defoma docbook-xml fontconfig laptop-detect libatk1.0-0 libexpat1
libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libglade2-0 libglib2.0-0 libgtk2.0-0
libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-common libjpeg62 libpango1.0-0 libpango1.0-common
libpng12-0 libscrollkeeper0 libtiff4 libvte-common libvte4 libx11-6
libxcursor1 libxext6 libxft2 libxi6 libxinerama1 libxml2 libxrandr2
libxrender1 libxslt1.1 perl perl-modules scrollkeeper sgml-base sgml-data
ttf-bitstream-vera ucf xlibs-data xml-core xorg-common
Suggested packages:
defoma-doc psfontmgr x-ttcidfont-conf dfontmgr docbook docbook-doc
docbook-dsssl docbook-xsl libfreetype6-dev ttf-kochi-gothic ttf-kochi-mincho
ttf-thryomanes ttf-baekmuk ttf-arphic-gbsn00lp ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp
ttf-arphic-gkai00mp ttf-arphic-bkai00mp perl-doc libterm-readline-perl-perl
sgml-base-doc perlsgml doc-html-w3 opensp libxml2-utils debhelper
x-window-system-core x-window-system
Recommended packages:
libft-perl libatk1.0-data libglib2.0-data hicolor-icon-theme gksu deborphan
libgnome2-perl
The following NEW packages will be installed:
synaptic ttf-bitstream-vera ucf xlibs-data xml-core xorg-common
0 upgraded, 42 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/19.4MB of archives.
After unpacking 70.7MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
sarac@zenc:~$

I also have this unknown group 'postdrop' error. Upto that point everything went well. Has anyone solved this problem? [-o<

tartarin
January 26th, 2006, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=tartarin]

sarac@zenc:~$ dchroot -d
sarac@zenc:~$ sudo apt-get install synaptic
Password:
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
sarac@zenc:~$

I have found a solution to this problem but i'm not sure why something like this happened.

My /var/lib/dpkg/statoverride file is like this:
hplip root 755 /var/run/hplip
----

but if i cat /chroot/var/lib/dpkg/statoverride i get (i have no idea why):
root postdrop 02555 /usr/sbin/postqueue
postfix postdrop 02710 /var/spool/postfix/public
root postdrop 02555 /usr/sbin/postdrop
-------

When i delete the lines that has postdrop postfix groups or users the problem solved.

One alternative might be adding group and user
addgroup postdrop
adduser postfix

I have no idea what will be the impacts, or is it safe to do this, but i could install the synaptic after these edits.

o_O
January 30th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Ok, so I'm having trouble with getting synaptic32 to run in the chrooted environment. I followed this guide step by step, only replacing all instances of "hoary" with "breezy", and when I run the synaptic32 command, it just shows the following:

username@ubuntu:~$ sudo synaptic32
(breezy) synaptic32

I tried to mount the directories one by one, simlinking them... Nothing worked.

This is a copy of my /etc/fstab file, just in case it's needed:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/sda2 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/sda1 /media/sda1 ntfs defaults 0 0
/dev/sda6 /media/sda5 vfat iocharset=utf8,umask=000 0 0
/dev/sda5 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/sdc /media/usb0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0

#dchroot

Any ideas?

[Off-topic] P.S: BTW, "iocharset=utf8,umask=000 0 0" doesn't seem to work for my FAT32 partition, since it sets permissions to 555 which doesn't let anyone write to it. I can't chmod nor chown it, not even as root... So what gives? [/Off-topic]

Thanks in advance for any help that you may provide.

Alabama_Man
January 31st, 2006, 12:45 PM
my usb-gamepad only works with a generic driver(2 buttons, 2 axis!!!) in chroot, although it works perfect in my normal enviroment. In jscalibrator thc console gives this error message:
Failed to set joystick /dev/js0 correction values: Invalid argument
does anybody know how to fix this?

exp(x)
February 9th, 2006, 11:52 AM
my usb-gamepad only works with a generic driver(2 buttons, 2 axis!!!) in chroot, although it works perfect in my normal enviroment.
I have the same problem with my xbox controller. If you figure anything out, post here.

pvgorp
February 14th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Hi all,
I've followed your instructions but cannot apt-get install anything after "dchroot -d".

The system complains:
> dpkg: syntax error: unknown user `postfix' in statusoverride file

Have I missed something? Note that I'm using shadowed passwords.

Thanks for your advice,
Pieter Van Gorp

pvgorp
February 14th, 2006, 03:18 PM
I solved the problem by creating a user 'postfix' in group 'postdrop':
adduser --ingroup postdrop postfix

This was suggested in another thread.

Cheers,
Pieter.

jrblevin
February 28th, 2006, 04:25 PM
In response to the perl locale problems mentioned earlier (perl: warning: Setting locale failed), installing language-pack-en-base seemed to fix it for me.

jinxed
March 8th, 2006, 05:16 AM
n00b question:
Everthing went well... even ran synaptic, but after restarting my machine, I can't run anything using X. Here's my output...

(synaptic:11343): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
Any ideas?

:???:

jinxed
March 8th, 2006, 05:22 AM
n00b question:
Everthing went well... even ran synaptic, but after restarting my machine, I can't run anything using X. Here's my output...

(synaptic:11343): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
Any ideas?

:???:

Nevermind... I'm a moron :oops:

forgot to use the -d option...

mune
March 12th, 2006, 04:32 AM
I have been reading this looooong thread but I haven't found any answer to my (simple) problem.

I applied the how-to and it worked fine (btw GREAT thanks a lot).

My problem is that the 32 bit applications (such as firefox32) are in english and not in my own language (as all other apps).

Does anybody have a tip?

Thanks

Fede

mune
March 17th, 2006, 06:10 PM
I can live with en_US messages.

I had big big huge problem: all the applications x32 couldn't print. Now it is worse.

I thought "I do a smart thing: I install cups+gnome-cups-manager, in the 32 environment and I'll be allset".:-D

I end up that I can't print from the original 64 bit environment and I still can't print from the x32 application.:evil:

What can I do, now?

Thanks

Fede

DragonOrta
April 2nd, 2006, 09:45 AM
When ever I run "dpkg-reconfigure locales" and select and of the en_US locales, I get this error.

root@dragon64:/# dpkg-reconfigure locales
LANGUAGE = "en",
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

I've also tried setting to a different english, such as GB, but I still get that error.

slim_chiply
April 8th, 2006, 03:07 PM
I can live with en_US messages.

I had big big huge problem: all the applications x32 couldn't print. Now it is worse.

I thought "I do a smart thing: I install cups+gnome-cups-manager, in the 32 environment and I'll be allset".:-D

I end up that I can't print from the original 64 bit environment and I still can't print from the x32 application.:evil:

What can I do, now?

Thanks

Fede

I had the same problem. I found that there were 2 different problems not allowing me to print. The first: upgrading my kernel to 2.6.12-10-amd64-generic caused all printing to stop. I reverted to the previous kernel ( 2.6.12-9-amd64-generic) and printing started again.

The second problem was printing in my chroot. I saw on another thread that I should also install cupsys-bsd in my chroot environment. That seems to have solved the problem of not printing.

BjornHaland
April 9th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Error:

I have no name!@shapeir:/# dpkg-reconfigure locales
LANGUAGE = "en_NO:en_US:en_GB:en",
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Config.pm line 16.
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
debconf: (No usable dialog-like program is installed, so the dialog based frontend cannot be used. at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Dialog.pm line 66.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Readline
debconf: (Can't locate Term/ReadLine.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.4 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Readline.pm line 5.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Teletype
dpkg-query: failed to open package info file `/var/lib/dpkg/status' for reading: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: locales is not installed
I have no name!@shapeir:/#
](*,)
Could be this is just too much for me right now, but I gave it a try.
It would be great if someone knew what this is, and I'd appreciate any help.
But I'm willing to let it go for now anyway - do I have to uninstall this whole thing, or can I keep it here? And what steps do I have to take in order to uninstall it? Thank you.'

Oh btw, I'm using Dapper Drake, is there an incompatibility issue, perhaps?

DragonOrta
April 10th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Ok, fixed the last error by changing it to Breezy, but now I'm getting
W: Failure trying to run: chroot /chroot mount -t proc proc /proc

after I run

sudo debootstrap --arch i386 breezy /chroot/ http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu

This is with an Athlon X2.

BoyOfDestiny
April 10th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Ok script works and is fully tested. It makes chrooting trivial.
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=904320&postcount=1

mystictim
April 17th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Thanks for making chrooting so straight forward. There was one problem I couldn't access my cd drive in the chroot. I think this is becouse when the cd drive is used it's mounted over the binding "/media/cdrom0 /chroot32/media/cdrom0 none bind 0 0" in fstab effectivly hiding this binding.
I made the cd drive accessible in the chroot by mounting the cdrom drive on /chroot/media/cdrom0 (instead of /media/chdrom0) and then makeing /media/cdrom0 a symlink to /chroot/media/cdrom0.
To do this remove or comment out the following line from fstab
/media/cdrom0 /chroot/media/cdrom0 none bind 0 0then modify the line for the cdrom device to:
/dev/hdc /chroot/media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0Make sure that /chroot/media/cdrom0 is part of the file group cdrom
~$ sudo chgrp cdrom /chroot/media/cdrom0Then make the symlink
~$ sudo ln -s /chroot/media/cdrom0 /media/cdrom0This worked for me hope it helps anyone with a similar problem.

ivantorresjmz
April 24th, 2006, 06:39 PM
I have the same problem and also I'm working with Dapper Drake (AMD64). I've got stuck in same place. I tried twice without any luck. Does some one got it running with dapper?

Thanks!

Error:

I have no name!@shapeir:/# dpkg-reconfigure locales
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Config.pm line 16.
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
debconf: (No usable dialog-like program is installed, so the dialog based frontend cannot be used. at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Dialog.pm line 66.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Readline
debconf: (Can't locate Term/ReadLine.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.4 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Readline.pm line 5.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Teletype
dpkg-query: failed to open package info file `/var/lib/dpkg/status' for reading: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: locales is not installed
I have no name!@shapeir:/#
](*,)
Could be this is just too much for me right now, but I gave it a try.
It would be great if someone knew what this is, and I'd appreciate any help.
But I'm willing to let it go for now anyway - do I have to uninstall this whole thing, or can I keep it here? And what steps do I have to take in order to uninstall it? Thank you.'

Oh btw, I'm using Dapper Drake, is there an incompatibility issue, perhaps?

incubus
April 25th, 2006, 06:10 AM
This worked for me:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83315&page=2&highlight=file+directory+locale%3A+set+LC_CTYPE+de fault

(the last suggestion)

incubus

ivantorresjmz
April 25th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Many thanks Incubus, it worked just fine!!! :D

This worked for me:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83315&page=2&highlight=file+directory+locale%3A+set+LC_CTYPE+de fault

(the last suggestion)

incubus

searden
April 30th, 2006, 04:45 PM
It works until i get to installing synaptic, then this happens:

searden@ubuntuamd64:~$ dchroot -d
searden@ubuntuamd64:~$ sudo apt-get install synaptic Reading package lists... Done
Suggested packages:
Recommended packages:
libgnome2-perl
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

Any suggestions? i guess i'm pretty screwed without it as i'll get dependancy probs when i try to install other apps in chroot.

exp(x)
May 4th, 2006, 08:26 PM
I just installed some updates today in the 64-bit environment, and now the chroot is dropping network packets like crazy. I have had to switch back to 64-bit firefox.

leris
June 4th, 2006, 05:03 PM
It works until i get to installing synaptic, then this happens:

searden@ubuntuamd64:~$ dchroot -d
searden@ubuntuamd64:~$ sudo apt-get install synaptic Reading package lists... Done
Suggested packages:
Recommended packages:
libgnome2-perl
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

Any suggestions? i guess i'm pretty screwed without it as i'll get dependancy probs when i try to install other apps in chroot.

Not sure if you've worked it out, but after beating my head in and trolling countless forums (in german is where i found the answer), I've found that under /chroot/var/lib/dpkg/statoverride (a text file), there are some references there that dpkg doesn't find.

Therefore, I backed up the file, and removed ALL entries in it. Worked after that. I also read somewhere that you could do dpkg --clean or something along those lines, but my version of dpkg did not support any command similar to that.

Hope it helps.

holomorph
June 6th, 2006, 01:15 AM
on step 3, apt-get update complains about being unable to verify signatures (and similarly apt-get install complains about not being able to authenticate packages); this doesn't actually hurt anything, but can be confusing. doing 'apt-get install gnupg' and then apt-get update will make these go away.

dysphoros
June 8th, 2006, 04:37 AM
Error:
[code]I have no name!@shapeir:/# dpkg-reconfigure locales
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"

I got rid of this error by executing:

$ sudo cp /var/lib/locales/supported.d/local /chroot/var/lib/locales/supported.d/

Then run dpkg-reconfigure locales again. I don't know about the rest of the errors though.

Sheldon

bforbes
June 9th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I can't get past this point:

bforbes@ben:~$ sudo debootstrap --arch i386 breezy /chroot/ http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
I: Retrieving Release
I: Retrieving Packages
I: Validating Packages
I: Checking component main on http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu...

It just sits there not doing anything. What can I do to fix this?

EDIT: Never mind, it finally worked. Now I have to work out what to do with this chroot.

bforbes
June 9th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Now I have another problem. I compiled mplayer with the Win32 codecs, but there doesn't seem to be any video_out devices. How do I install them in the chroot?

Here's the output from "mplayer -vo help" in the chroot:

Available video output drivers:
fbdev Framebuffer Device
fbdev2 Framebuffer Device
vesa VESA VBE 2.0 video output
cvidix console VIDIX
null Null video output
mpegpes Mpeg-PES to DVB card
yuv4mpeg yuv4mpeg output for mjpegtools
tga Targa output
pnm PPM/PGM/PGMYUV file
md5sum md5sum of each frame

Here's the list I get outside the chroot:

Available video output drivers:
xv X11/Xv
x11 X11 ( XImage/Shm )
xover General X11 driver for overlay capable video output drivers
gl X11 (OpenGL)
gl2 X11 (OpenGL) - multiple textures version
dga DGA ( Direct Graphic Access V2.0 )
sdl SDL YUV/RGB/BGR renderer (SDL v1.1.7+ only!)
ggi General Graphics Interface (GGI) output
fbdev Framebuffer Device
fbdev2 Framebuffer Device
aa AAlib
caca libcaca
dxr3 DXR3/H+ video out
directfb Direct Framebuffer Device
dfbmga DirectFB / Matrox G200/G400/G450/G550
null Null video output
mpegpes Mpeg-PES to DVB card
yuv4mpeg yuv4mpeg output for mjpegtools
png PNG file
jpeg JPEG file
gif89a animated GIF output
tga Targa output
pnm PPM/PGM/PGMYUV file
md5sum md5sum of each frame

norv
June 10th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Great howto, got 32-bit firefox, flash, mplayer working in chroot dapper inside dapper amd64. Thanx Crad!
I have another OS on other partitions, how can I get the chroot to see these partitions?

Here is my /etc/fstab:

/dev/sda4 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/sda10 none swap sw 0 0

#debian sid
/dev/sda3 /mnt/pan64root ext3 rw,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/sda5 /mnt/pan64usr ext3 rw,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/sda6 /mnt/pan64var ext3 rw,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/sda9 /mnt/pan64home ext3 rw,user,noauto 0 0

#chroot

I want the chroot to be able to see /dev/sda9, my debian home partition.

bforbes
June 10th, 2006, 03:16 PM
I'd try:

1. Add to fstab:

/dev/sda9 /chroot/mnt/pan64home none bind 0 0

2. Get into the chroot
3. Add the mount point /mnt/pan64home

Because the chroot doesn't know about anything outside unless you tell it.

norv
June 11th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Thanx, I tried that, here is the result:

norbreezy@norbreezy:~$ dchroot -d
Executing shell in 'dapper' chroot.
norbreezy@norbreezy:~$ mount /mnt/pan64home
mount: can't find /mnt/pan64home in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
norbreezy@norbreezy:~$ exit
exit
norbreezy@norbreezy:~$ mount /chroot/mnt/pan64home
mount: only root can mount /dev/sda9 on /chroot/mnt/pan64home
norbreezy@norbreezy:~$ sudo mount /chroot/mnt/pan64home
mount: Not a directory
norbreezy@norbreezy:~$ ls -ln /chroot/mnt
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 2 0 0 4096 2006-06-10 17:20 pan64home
norbreezy@norbreezy:~$

Any ideas?

bforbes
June 11th, 2006, 04:36 AM
Okay, I got it to work on mine. Don't bind the device to the chrooted mount point, bind the normal mount point to the chrooted mount point:

/mnt/pan64home /chroot/mnt/pan64home none bind 0 0

bforbes
June 11th, 2006, 04:40 AM
I got my mplayer problem to work. Before compiling, I installed libx11-dev and libxv-dev.

Now I'm having issues with Firefox. I installed the latest Firefox in the chroot, and got flash working on it, but whenever I run normal Firefox after running chrooted Firefox, it checks for compatibility updates for my extensions, then loads up the "Latest Firefox" page. It also happens the other way round, ie, running chrooted Firefox after normal Firefox.

Can I get rid of this behaviour? I tried disabling all the update options but that doesn't change anything.

norv
June 12th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Thanx bforbes, still can't get it to work..

norbreezy@norbreezy:~$ mount /dev/sda9
norbreezy@norbreezy:~$ mount /mnt/pan64home
mount: according to mtab, /mnt/pan64home is mounted on /mnt/pan64home
mount failed
norbreezy@norbreezy:~$ mount /chroot/mnt/pan64home
mount: according to mtab, /mnt/pan64home is mounted on /mnt/pan64home
mount failed
norbreezy@norbreezy:~$ ls /mnt/pan64home
bookmarks.html house lost+found norv ubuntu
exit

What mount command should I use, should I be trying the mount command from within the chroot? That gives me a "no fstab or mtab" error..

norbreezy@norbreezy:~$ more /etc/fstab
# UNCONFIGURED FSTAB FOR BASE SYSTEM

bforbes
June 13th, 2006, 03:21 AM
No, all the mounting has to be done from outside the chroot. Use the instructions I posted above, doing everything from fstab. Then outside the chroot do "sudo mount -a" to mount everything. Inside the chroot it should be mounted fine.

EDIT:

To clarify:

1. Add to fstab outside the chroot:

2. Get into the chroot
3. sudo mkdir /mnt/pan64home
4. Get out of the chroot
5. sudo mount -a

norv
June 14th, 2006, 03:10 AM
Sorry bforbes, looks like I'm a dumbass.
I have:
a) /dev/sda9, mount-point, /mnt/pan64home
b) /mnt/pan64home, mount-point /chroot/mnt/pan64home
c) sudo mount -a does not mount /dev/sda9 (because of noauto option???)
d) /chroot/mnt/pan64home exists
e)chroot still cannot see inside pan64home
f) I have to mount /dev/sda9 specifically to see into pan64home from outside chroot
g) chroot still cannot see inside pan64home

As shown in this snippet:

norbreezy@norbreezy:~$ more /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
/dev/sda4 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/sda10 none swap sw 0 0

#debian sid
/dev/sda3 /mnt/pan64root ext3 rw,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/sda5 /mnt/pan64usr ext3 rw,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/sda6 /mnt/pan64var ext3 rw,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/sda9 /mnt/pan64home ext3 rw,user,noauto 0 0

#chroot

norbreezy@norbreezy:~$ sudo mount -a
norbreezy@norbreezy:~$ ls /chroot/mnt
pan64home
exit
norbreezy@norbreezy:~$ mount /dev/sda9
bookmarks.html house lost+found norv ubuntu

bforbes
June 14th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Okay, without using "sudo mount -a" I did this:

1. Remove the fstab line binding /mnt/pan64home to /chroot/mnt/pan64home
2. sudo umount /mnt/pan64home;sudo umount /chroot/mnt/pan64home
3. mount /mnt/pan64home
4. mount -o bind /mnt/pan64home /chroot/mnt/pan64home

Then it should all be good.

norv
June 14th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Yes! Got it! Thank you very much for all your help bforbes!

bforbes
June 15th, 2006, 11:24 AM
No problem.

chrestomanci
June 23rd, 2006, 10:31 AM
I have setup a chroot as described and it is mostly working, however I have found that I can't run commands that have spaces in the pathnames. For example if I run a command:

mplayer32 "/home/david/My holiday video.avi"
Then 32 bit mplayer complains about not being able to find the files "/home/david/My" "holiday" or "video.avi"

It looks like the quoted pathname is getting unquoted by the do_dchroot script:

Add the following:
#!/bin/sh

I am planning to re-write the do_dchroot script (in perl) to correctly handle spaces in filenames, but I wondered if anyone else has allready solved the problem so I don't have to.

cesera
July 2nd, 2006, 02:15 PM
It looks like the quoted pathname is getting unquoted by the do_dchroot script:

I am planning to re-write the do_dchroot script (in perl) to correctly handle spaces in filenames, but I wondered if anyone else has allready solved the problem so I don't have to.

On page 5 of this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=426504&postcount=6

jakedh
July 7th, 2006, 05:00 PM
](*,)
I have a 32 bit subsystem working...to some extent. It has been the cause of many headaches and it's getting to the point where I can't justify using it. Since I have only one application which actually needs a 64 bit environment it would seem like a better idea to install a 64 bit subsytem on a 32 bit base. So here's the querstion:
Can I do the exact opposite of what is described in this thread? I need support for a single 64 bit app in a 32 bit base system. I don't want to nuke my HDD without some confidence in this. It's this or back to M$ :(
I have a PIV Xeon (64 bit).

rancio
July 8th, 2006, 07:57 PM
hello, this is my first post in this forum, i'm new in this linux thing too..
i made all the steps in the guide... (pretty good for noobs like me)
but when i do $ dchroot -d y get teh following message:

su: Authentication service cannot retrieve authentication info.
(Ignored)

I get this message as a common user and as root.. after it appears once, i can't switch users..

what did i do wrong?

thanx

keoghan
July 12th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Thanks for this how to, I just used it on a dapper setup with a little substitution (dapper for hoary) and it worked great!

Also used the fstab entries for passwd, shadow, group etc. Everything seems to be working fantastically.

Good Stuff!

K

cesera
July 26th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Thank you for this howto. It works well for me (on dapper). I have however one little problem. I have some of my home directories on seperate partitions, and even though I have added:

to my /etc/fstab file I cannot enter the home directories that are on seperate partitions (mounted on /home/<user>), but the home directories that are just normal directories on /home work fine, any idea what causes this?

PS. just tested some other partitions mounted within the directory structure, and I don't seem to be able to cross the mount-point boundary from within the chroot environment.

chrestomanci
July 26th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Thank you for this howto. It works well for me (on dapper). I have however one little problem. I have some of my home directories on separate partitions, and even though I have added:

to my /etc/fstab file I cannot enter the home directories that are on separate partitions (mounted on /home/<user>), but the home directories that are just normal directories on /home work fine, any idea what causes this?

The solution is to create similar chroot mounts for each mounted partition on your system, so in your case a section of your /etc/fstab might look like this:

# Separate mounts for each user's home dir
/dev/sdb1 /home/alice ext3 none 0 2
/dev/sdb2 /home/bob ext3 none 0 2
/dev/sdb3 /home/charles ext3 none 0 2
/dev/sdb4 /home/david ext3 none 0 2

# Chroot mount points so that users can access their files using 32bit chroot programs
/home/alice /chroot/home/alice none bind 0 0
/home/bob /chroot/home/bob none bind 0 0
/home/charles /chroot/home/charles none bind 0 0
/home/david /chroot/home/david none bind 0 0

You will also need to create a chroot mount point for each removable device that you want to use. Also if you have more than one chroot environment setup you will need to create a set of these mount points for each environment.

Needless to say this is all a bit of a pain if you have loads of partitions and several chroot environments. I am working on a script to automate the process.

cesera
August 21st, 2006, 11:21 PM
I used the 32-bit chroot successfully for a while and then came to a point where I didn't need it anymore. So I removed the /chroot from my system, this took a lot longer than I expected so I cancelled it and looked what was happening. To my horror I realised that my home directory was mounted within /chroot (I had forgotten about this) and was now mostly empty. (Thankfully I had a backup.)

Moral of the story: umount everything mounted within /chroot before removing it. (Maybe it is wise to add a warning to the howto, in case there are other idiots like me out there.)

flygin
August 26th, 2006, 08:36 PM
symlink an application to chroot including man pages, doc folders, menu (!), icons and .desktop file

check it out here:

http://www.geocities.com/thierryguy/

fireandlight27
August 31st, 2006, 03:16 PM
Works great for me under Dapper. Thanks for the great how-to. The one thing I've noticed that doesn't work is mail-to links. Clicking on a mail-to link has no effect. Is there a way to fix this without installing a mail client in the chroot?

chrestomanci
August 31st, 2006, 04:48 PM
Works great for me under Dapper. Thanks for the great how-to. The one thing I've noticed that doesn't work is mail-to links. Clicking on a mail-to link has no effect. Is there a way to fix this without installing a mail client in the chroot?

Not easily. Unfortunately this is a bit of a thorny problem.

When you click on a mailto: link, your web browser attempts to start an email program so that you can compose and send your mail message. The problem is that programs running inside the chroot cannot see outside it, so they cannot access your mail program.

As you suggest, one solution would be to install a mail client inside the chroot, and to configure your browser inside the chroot to use it. There would be some problems with this, one is that the mail client inside the chroot might confuse your normal one if they are both running at the same time and try to access the same locally stored folders. If the mail client has its own separate set of folders, then your mail messages would not all be together, and if you where looking for a message you sent some time ago, you would have to look in both mail clients. Both these problems can be solved by keeping your mail folders on an IMAP server, and having both clients talk to that server.

Also, the mail client would not be able to see your copy of sendmail, though this is unlikely to be a problem as most clients default to sending mail using TCP/IP sockets rather than calling sendmail directly.

An alternative solution would be to find a way to invoke programs in the parent system from within the chroot. It should be fairly easy to write a script that uses remote procedure calls to achieve this by calling out of the chroot to a listener running in the host OS. I don’t know if such a script or program is available. If you can’t find one, and you are competent at programming you might consider writing one yourself and posting it here.

There is also a third issue if you are sending mailto links the other way, (from a browser in the host OS, to a mail client in the chroot). Currently when the do_chroot script passes program arguments to the chroot, it does not protect special characters from being interpreted by the shell, so a command line such as:

thunderbird ‘john.doe@example.com’
Will get messed up because the quote and @ symbols are special and will be cause errors. Puiphooey (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=45533) has posted an alternative version that protects spaces but not any other special character. I am currently working on a do_chroot replacement to fix this and other issues.

feldegast
September 27th, 2006, 05:28 AM
i found that you need to do the following before synaptic will install within the chroot.

apt-get install locales

Iesos
October 29th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Hi.
Made the update to edgy a few days ago. And my chroot broke down. Now I'm trying to get it back up, by doing this guide again. But I get this error trying to enter chroot:

$ sudo chroot /chroot/
Password:
/bin/bash: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /bin/bash)
/bin/bash: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3.4' not found (required by /bin/bash)

Anyone know anything about it?

ronelly
November 2nd, 2006, 09:23 PM
well as you can see this is my first post here. i'm loving this distro / community because through you guys i actually have my ati card working lol. i'm trying to set up the 32 bit environment as per this guide.. but i'm getting these errors.

postfix
at
mailx
mutt
postfix-tls
ubuntu-base
jimbo@ubuntu:~$ sudo ln -s /usr/sbin/synaptic /usr/sbin/synaptic32
jimbo@ubuntu:~$ exit
exit
jimbo@ubuntu:~$ sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot /usr/local/bin/synaptic32
jimbo@ubuntu:~$ sudo synaptic32
(hoary) synaptic32

(synaptic32:28009): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_unref_tree_helper: assertion `node != NULL' failed

any help would be appreciated, i'm all aquiver at the idea of finally being able to leave behind windows. if i can get this 32 bit setup.. set up, then wow working.. i wouldn't need windows for anything anymore :)

hi,
I am having the same problem. did you manage to solve it? I appreciate any help!
thanx,
ronny

Funzo22
November 3rd, 2006, 04:44 AM
Hi.
Made the update to edgy a few days ago. And my chroot broke down. Now I'm trying to get it back up, by doing this guide again. But I get this error trying to enter chroot:

$ sudo chroot /chroot/
Password:
/bin/bash: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /bin/bash)
/bin/bash: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3.4' not found (required by /bin/bash)

Anyone know anything about it?

I solved this problem quite simply by reinstalling my whole chroot system, I guess this solution wont work for you if you have spent time configuring it or whatever, but if your chroot'd environment is relatively empty just do this:

sudo rm -r /chroot

and follow the guide again but replace all instances of breezy with edgy and voila a working chroot environment with edgy

Joybin
November 26th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Currently when the do_chroot script passes program arguments to the chroot, it does not protect special characters from being interpreted by the shell

You can use this shell script as do_chroot to protect most special characters, except for continuous backslashes.

#!/bin/sh
args="`echo $0 | sed 's|^.*/\(.*\)\(32\)*$|\1|'`"
for arg; do
args="$args `echo $arg | sed 's|\([^-_a-zA-Z0-9]\)|\\\\\1|g'`"
done
/usr/bin/dchroot -d "$args"

petriborg
December 15th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Here is an update to make the whole do_dchroot process easier.

#!/bin/sh
args="`echo $0 | perl -e '$_=<>; s/^.*\/(.*?)(32)?$/\1/; print; '`"
for arg; do
args="$args `echo $arg | sed 's|\([^-_a-zA-Z0-9]\)|\\\\\1|g'`"
done
if [ -e /usr/bin/linux32 ]; then
/usr/bin/linux32 /usr/bin/dchroot -d "$args"
else
/usr/bin/dchroot -d "$args"
fi

Because of the change in do_dchroot step five becomes simpler:

dchroot -d
sudo ln -s /usr/sbin/synaptic /usr/sbin/synaptic32 (DELETE, NO LONGER NEEDED)
exit
sudo synaptic32

This is a small change to the regex to allow this. This makes one assumption, the 64 bit program is not visible from within the 32bit chroot - which would make sense, after all we just spent all that time making a seperate area for the 32 bit programs! If there is no 32 at the end of the name it will ignore it and try and launch the program in the chroot anyway. The corrected handling of 32 required a non-greedy operator which I don't think seds can do (which is why it now uses perl).

I also added a check for linux32 for those that need to do compiling in the chroot, this should automatically run the chroot with linux32 in front if it exists.

petriborg
December 18th, 2006, 01:08 AM
On a side note, you can *also* add another detail, under Dapper, if you add a file named "debian_chroot" to the /chroot/etc directory, the default profile will append the content of the file at the start of the PS1 variable. For example, if you put "dapper32" in the file it displays: (dapper32)petri@linuxbox:~$

How cool is *that*

hacktorious
January 30th, 2007, 03:21 AM
I followed the directions from this thread. I am running the sudo synaptic32 command and getting the following error message:

scott@zeus:~/downloads/BasicStamp$ sudo synaptic32
I: [edgy chroot] Running command: “synaptic32 ”

(synaptic32:29339): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.

Does anyone know what is going wrong here and how I can fix it? Thanks.

I am running Kubuntu 6.10.

babwe
February 7th, 2007, 05:10 PM
im running Ubuntu 6.06 LTS on a 64-bit pc
getting this error in step 1 line 5
Failure trying to run: chroot /chroot dpkg --force-depends --install var/cache/apt/archives/base-files_3.1.0ubuntu3_i386.deb var/cache/apt/archives/base-passwd_3.5.9_i386.deb
dont know what t do

note: Im trying to run xchat with support of http://fish.sekure.us/. cant get that t run on the pc :(

gbajosh
February 9th, 2007, 05:11 AM
HI!

I am very new to Linux, but am enjoying learning about it. When I try to do this I get this

josh120@josh120-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install dchroot debootstrap
Password:

Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package dchroot

Whenever I try to apt getupdate it never connects. Same with Add/remove, it says "Downloading 1/35" and does nothing. I have been working on this 1 problem for a few days now and am lost.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks so much

kragen
February 21st, 2007, 12:09 AM
hey, nice guide - worked a treat for me, simply had to install an extra package to get around a locale problem, but apart from that it was plain sailing :D

two things:

1) All my apps look ugly :P How do I go about installing gtk themes in the chroot, is there any way to get the chroot to use the same themes as the rest of my desktop via another fstab mount point or something similar?

EDIT: Answered my own question here: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=307194

2) someone else earlier mentioned using "sudo mount --bind /etc/passwd /usr/chroot32/passwd" etc... as a neater way than simply copying all the required files, I'm a perfectionist and woud quite like to do this :P but all I get is:

mount: mount point /usr/chroot32/passwd does not exist

Should this work? I've seen this in another guide, so I'm geusing there is a way of making it work...

cibercol
March 12th, 2007, 12:33 AM
:lolflag: http://lambda-complex.blogspot.com/2006/11/configurando-chroot-de-i386-en-una.html
correction for locales problem

dukeleto
March 14th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Hi all,

my chroot edgy32 under edgy 64 works, except I am unable to install dbus; I get an error
stating that "/etc/init.d/dbus start" fails; has anyone come across this or does anyone have an idea of what to do? dbus is kinda necessary for what I wanted to do!
many thanks,

Olivier

petriborg
March 17th, 2007, 04:36 PM
2) someone else earlier mentioned using "sudo mount --bind /etc/passwd /usr/chroot32/passwd" etc... as a neater way than simply copying all the required files, I'm a perfectionist and woud quite like to do this :P but all I get is:

mount: mount point /usr/chroot32/passwd does not exist

Should this work? I've seen this in another guide, so I'm geusing there is a way of making it work...

Sorry Kragen, no you can't do that, mount will only do that for folders to my knowledge.

hacktorious
March 17th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I believe you have to copy your /etc/passwd into the same location in your chroot32 environment.

THEBIGEYE
April 23rd, 2007, 02:34 AM
when i input this command
gedits says this is a directory so i cannot add the line hoary/chroot
is this an error in the direction everyone else seems to have this working also the reason i am trying to do this because i am having trouble printing after upgrading to feisty AMD64 from edgy i386 where i could print no problem so i want to see if it the 64 bit archutecture has anyone tryed this and does it work i will post if it works as a workaround

gavintlgold
April 27th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Uhh.. I did this, but I don't need it anymore. What steps should I take to remove it? Deleting /chroot ? Uninstalling some programs?

Thanks for the help. (I am using nspluginwrapper for firefox so I don't need it anymore).

shame
April 28th, 2007, 03:05 AM
You just need to delete the chroot directory you used but VERY IMPORTANT! Unmount everything first or it will delete the stuff that is mounted in it, such as your home directory.

gavintlgold
April 28th, 2007, 04:06 AM
I'm sorry, but what commands would that be, and would I need to run

dchroot -d

first?

thanks

Soverign
June 25th, 2007, 08:00 PM
umm I have a feeling I'm being very noobish here...but i have a problem on the first step...

sudo debootstrap --arch amd64 hoary /chroot/ http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
E: Failed getting release file http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hoary/Release

(arch i386 returns the same)

and the next line returns:

sudo chroot /chroot/

Help would be GREATLY appreciated!! :)

p1977p
July 14th, 2007, 10:08 AM
does the chroot use the pdnsd installed in the 64 bit environment? if not, how do i set it up in the chroot? The networking is very slow in chroot as comp. to that in the 64 bit environment. i tried installing it via synaptic 32-- downloads fine, but it gives an error :"failed to start pdnsd"

(Running 64bit Xubuntu feisty on AMD64 laptop)

alvare
August 11th, 2007, 08:59 PM
sorry but I'm new in this and i don't understand this part:

i copied it into the terminal and it says

E: Failed getting release file http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hoary/Release

can you explain me what to do?

digitec
August 22nd, 2007, 07:31 AM
Hello, try as follow:

Step 1:

sudo apt-get install dchroot debootstrap
sudo mkdir /chroot/
Add this line: feisty /chroot
sudo debootstrap --arch i386 feisty /chroot
sudo cp /var/lib/locales/supported.d/local /chroot/var/lib/locales/supported.d
sudo chroot /chroot
dpkg-reconfigure locales

Step 2:

sudo gedit /chroot/etc/apt/sources.list
Add the following lines:
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty-security main restricted universe multiverse

(We do this step because gedit has yet to be installed in the chroot environment)

Step 3:
In your chrooted environment (chroot /chroot):

apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade

Step 4:

sudo gedit /etc/fstab
Add the following lines:
<snip />
sudo mkdir /chroot/media/cdrom0
sudo mkdir /chroot/usr/share/fonts
sudo mount -a
sudo gedit /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot
Add the following:
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/dchroot -d "`echo $0 | sed 's|^.*/||'` `for i in "$@"; do echo -n '"'$i'" '; done`"

sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/do_dchroot

Step 5:
In a new terminal:

dchroot -d
sudo ln -s /usr/sbin/synaptic /usr/sbin/synaptic32
exit
sudo synaptic32

TechZilla
August 28th, 2007, 07:17 AM
why exactly are we chrooting in the first place??? to run 32-bit appz???

i use flash 32 on my 64-bit firefox via nspluginwrapper

skype via 32-bit libs and that new getlibs script

i dont use java but im almost pretty sure that there is a better non chroot way.....

chrooting is overkill

allorder
September 15th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I did everything in the howto

when I do ./rolauncher game load and then I got a black screen with error: out of range ??

innocenceisdeath
October 1st, 2007, 08:51 AM
How do I actually install 32 bit apps now I've set this up? :confused:

Ahhh help! Ever since I did this, my CD/DVD drive won't mount! Is there anything I can do?

brandom
August 18th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Brilliant - thank you for these instructions! Now I have a fully working 32-bit environment on my 64-bit MacBook Pro. I was at my wits end dealing with problems compiling programs that had to be compiled in a 32-bit environment, and now those problems are gone!

You rock! :guitar:

musta78
August 26th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I have problems with step 5.

When I type in sudo apt-get install synaptic in terminal

So I tried to run apt-get update, but no luck!

Anyone?

lprophetl
October 7th, 2008, 09:25 PM
thx gonna use it to compile 32 bit progs then install on my 64 bit system. see if it works

tharkban
October 28th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I mostly followed these instructions, but of course updated them for using Intrepid. I also fixed the locale problem that this tutorial leaves you with. I'm sure this is all in the thread, but I don't care to search through it, so I'm bumping this solution.

There were some things missing from the instructions and they were
needlessly complicated, so I made my own. This is how I setup a
32 bit chroot jail in ubuntu (intrepid specifically).

There are exactly three times in these instructions where the distribution
being used (intrepid) is mentioned. To use a different (possibly newer version,
or a debian version) change those three places to the next distribution codename.
For the next version of ubuntu replace all instances (3) of intrepid with jaunty.

To install proprietary codecs use the following lines:

su
echo "## Medibuntu
## Please report any bug on https://bugs.launchpad.net/medibuntu/
deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ intrepid free non-free
deb-src http://packages.medibuntu.org/ intrepid free non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
aptitude update
aptitude install medibuntu-keyring
aptitude update
aptitude install w64codecs # for AMD64 systems
aptitude install w32codecs # for 32 bit i386 systems

To install the 32 bit chroot jail use the following:

cd /
su
aptitude install schroot debootstrap
mkdir /chroot/
cd /chroot
debootstrap --arch=i386 intrepid /chroot http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
unalias cp
cp /var/lib/locales/supported.d/* /chroot/var/lib/locales/supported.d/
cp -f /etc/apt/sources.list /chroot/etc/apt/
cp -f /etc/passwd /chroot/etc/
cp -f /etc/shadow /chroot/etc/
cp -f /etc/group /chroot/etc/
cp -f /etc/sudoers /chroot/etc/
cp -f /etc/hosts /chroot/etc/
echo "##chroot
/home /chroot/home none rbind 0 0
/dev /chroot/dev none rbind 0 0
/etc /chroot/etc/.root none bind 0 0
/proc /chroot/proc none rbind 0 0
/media /chroot/media none rbind 0 0
/mnt /chroot/mnt none rbind 0 0
/tmp /chroot/tmp none rbind 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
mkdir /chroot/etc/.root
mount -a
chroot /chroot

dpkg-reconfigure locales
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install aptitude mplayer firefox
apt-get install w32codecs flashplugin-nonfree

# ...

exit

el_chupacabra
December 20th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Wow, this really worked. You are great. I think this should be moved to the first topic. I almost closed the window and then thought let's take a look at the last posts. :)

Great job! Thanks a lot! I managed to run Lightscribe Simple Labeler on my 64bit intrepid with your help. \\:D/

shirsch
January 9th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I have fought my way to a working schroot installation, but there are two lingering issues I'm hoping to get help with:

One:

I'm seeing an explosion of bind mounts in the root environment's /proc/mounts file. Looks like every schroot session is creating new ones and never cleaning them up.

Two:

My home directory is automounted from NFS and I simply cannot figure out how to bind mount the root environment's /net directory such that it appears in the chroot session. All documentation for bind mounting seems to be aimed at developers who already understand it intimately and simply need a reminder of syntax. For folks coming in fresh, it's just a lot of handwaving and jargon with few concrete examples - IMHO.

Is there a mailing list for schroot that anyone knows of?

Update 6/3/2009:

It does not appear possible to bind mount autofs controlled mount points. I ended up having to start a second instance of the automounter from inside the chroot. There is no way to have this happen automatically, since the various schroot scripts execute prior to the kernel chroot() call. I discussed adding capability for this with the maintainer, but he didn't feel it was something he wanted to see in the code. Ended up hacking it in for myself.

The explosion of mounts results from abended chroot sessions. Wrote a little script to remove them automatically.

cibercol
June 3rd, 2009, 04:20 AM
Most of this comes from http://digital-conquest.ath.cx/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu#Building_a_clean_32bit_chroot_with_debboots trap but I wanted to put together a cleaned up version that worked for me here (There are typos and inaccuracies on the wiki page).

line ---> dpkg-reconfigure locales change for:

from main
line1 ---> cp /var/lib/locales/supported.d/local /chroot/var/lib/locales/supported.d/
line2 ---> dpkg-reconfigure locales

it's ok now.

mavaddat
June 4th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Can someone tell me how to actually enter into the 32-bit environment? I've followed all the instructions on this tutorial, yet it is still utterly unclear how I run or compile 32-bit programs. I do
sudo chroot /chroot/ and run
uname -a but all I get is
Linux mavaddat-desktop 2.6.24-23-generic #1 SMP Wed Apr 1 21:43:24 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux. Doesn't this mean I'm not in a 32-bit environment?

It's all very frustrating. I just want a command line (shell) prompt that allows 32-bit compilation. (I know about the '-m32' flag in gcc, but my make depends on objects that are already pre-compiled as 64-bit).

I'm getting errors when linking. Here's my terminal output:
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.2.4/../../../libgdbm.so when searching for -lgdbm
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.2.4/../../../libgdbm.a when searching for -lgdbm
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/bin/../lib/libgdbm.so when searching for -lgdbm
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/bin/../lib/libgdbm.a when searching for -lgdbm
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libgdbm.so when searching for -lgdbm
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libgdbm.a when searching for -lgdbm
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgdbm
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [obj/manager] Error 1

TSJason
June 4th, 2009, 01:19 PM
uname -a but all I get is
Linux mavaddat-desktop 2.6.24-23-generic #1 SMP Wed Apr 1 21:43:24 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux. Doesn't this mean I'm not in a 32-bit environment?

This just means that you're running a 64-bit kernel - which should support the 32-bit environment.

mavaddat
June 4th, 2009, 04:13 PM
This just means that you're running a 64-bit kernel - which should support the 32-bit environment.Thanks, Jason. But shouldn't it be running the 32-bit kernel of the 32-bit environment? I thought that was the point. Also, is it true that
sudo chroot /chroot/ is the proper way to get into a 32-bit environment (with this tutoral)? How do I check to make sure I'm in the new environment and not the old one?

TSJason
June 7th, 2009, 05:40 PM
mavaddat,

You might be confusing a chroot with a virtual environment. The chroot is simply an environment running within your 64-bit system. The kernel does not change. If you bootstrap with the "--arch i386" then the chroot only contains i386 libraries and as such will only be able to execute the 32-bit binaries. The 64-bit kernel supports 32-bit backwards compatibility which is why we can do this sort of chroot. We could not, for instance, create a 64-bit chroot in a system running a 32-bit kernel.

To test, you should just try building a small 32-bit application from the chroot and they check the libraries that are linked in. There should only be the 32-bit ones there.

If you're looking for a fully 32-bit install (kernel and all), I might suggest taking a look at the free VirtualBox software - or VMWare server 2 (which is free with registration at the vmware site).

mavaddat
June 7th, 2009, 10:40 PM
[...]You might be confusing a chroot with a virtual environment. [...]Yes, I definitely was having now read your post. (I am new to Linux. Can you tell?)

All this chroot business is only a means to an end for me to compile a program I'm trying to get going. The error I run into is this:
Linking obj/manager .....
============================
gcc -g -m32 -O3 -Wall -Wno-format -I/usr/include/gdbm -I../common -m32 -lpthread -lm -lgdbm -o obj/manager obj/benManagement.o obj/benMetadata.o obj/benSortedArray.o obj/manager.o obj/managerConfig.o obj/managerlib.o obj/metadata.o obj/metadata_db_ndbm.o obj/revBlockMap.o ../common/obj/blockmap.o ../common/obj/compatible.o ../common/obj/err.o ../common/obj/fllib.o ../common/obj/freeloader_comm.o ../common/obj/HashList.o ../common/obj/LinkList.o ../common/obj/logger.o ../common/obj/md5.o ../common/obj/metadata_common.o ../common/obj/parser.o ../common/obj/QBlockMap.o ../common/obj/queue.o ../common/obj/sha1.o ../common/obj/utility.o
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.2.4/../../../libgdbm.so when searching for -lgdbm
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.2.4/../../../libgdbm.a when searching for -lgdbm
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/bin/../lib/libgdbm.so when searching for -lgdbm
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/bin/../lib/libgdbm.a when searching for -lgdbm
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libgdbm.so when searching for -lgdbm
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libgdbm.a when searching for -lgdbm
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgdbm
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [obj/manager] Error 1And I'm not sure what to do with it. It seems like the 32-bit program doesn't like my 64-bit object files. What can I do about that? I would appreciate any help you might be able to provide.

TSJason
June 8th, 2009, 12:13 AM
mavaddat,

It seems to me that you're probably just missing some required library. Offhand, I would try installing that dev package inside your chroot environment. For instance:

sudo apt-get install libgdbm-dev

mavaddat
June 8th, 2009, 10:04 AM
It seems to me that you're probably just missing some required library. Offhand, I would try installing that dev package inside your chroot environment. For instance:
sudo apt-get install libgdbm-devI tried this, but it doesn't seem to work. I do
sudo chroot /chroot/ and then
sudo apt-get install libgdbm-devbut it tells me:
Building dependency tree
libgdbm-dev is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.Then I run make on the program I'm trying to compile, and it tells me
Linking obj/manager .....
============================
gcc -g -m32 -O3 -Wall -Wno-format -I/usr/include/gdbm -I../common -m32 -lpthread -lm -lgdbm -o obj/manager obj/benManagement.o obj/benMetadata.o obj/benSortedArray.o obj/manager.o obj/managerConfig.o obj/managerlib.o obj/metadata.o obj/metadata_db_ndbm.o obj/revBlockMap.o ../common/obj/HashList.o ../common/obj/LinkList.o ../common/obj/QBlockMap.o ../common/obj/blockmap.o ../common/obj/compatible.o ../common/obj/err.o ../common/obj/fllib.o ../common/obj/freeloader_comm.o ../common/obj/logger.o ../common/obj/md5.o ../common/obj/metadata_common.o ../common/obj/parser.o ../common/obj/queue.o ../common/obj/sha1.o ../common/obj/utility.o
collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation fault]
/usr/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `obj/benManagement.o' is incompatible with i386 output
/usr/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `obj/benMetadata.o' is incompatible with i386 output
/usr/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `obj/benSortedArray.o' is incompatible with i386 output
/usr/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `obj/manager.o' is incompatible with i386 output
/usr/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `obj/managerConfig.o' is incompatible with i386 output
/usr/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `obj/managerlib.o' is incompatible with i386 output
/usr/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `obj/metadata.o' is incompatible with i386 output
/usr/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `obj/metadata_db_ndbm.o' is incompatible with i386 output
/usr/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `obj/revBlockMap.o' is incompatible with i386 outputI'm really clueless about what to do.

TSJason
June 9th, 2009, 01:57 AM
mavaddat,

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to compile and have you done a "make clean" since the source was put into your chroot?

baghery.farhad
July 10th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I have installed it, and it works great!

But now I wanna install Oxford Dictionary, after "dchroot -d" and running ./installation.sh returns this error:

#./installation.sh
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing OALD7..........................
This installation doesn't support glibc-2.1 on Linux / x86_64

Please contact Loki Technical Support at support@lokigames.com
The program returned an error code (1)
#
Why returns this error? how fix it?

nefurimu
July 12th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I seem to have the all to common issue immediately after dchroot -d, however mine seems... slightly different unless I haven't paid that much attention.
Upon trying to install synaptic, I get the following issue:

nefurimu@Malakim:~$ dchroot -d
W: Failed to change to directory ‘/home/nefurimu’: No such file or directory
W: Falling back to directory ‘/’
I: [intrepid chroot] Running shell: ‘/bin/bash’
To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
See "man sudo_root" for details.

nefurimu@Malakim:/$ dchroot
bash: dchroot: command not found
nefurimu@Malakim:/$ dchroot -d
bash: dchroot: command not found
nefurimu@Malakim:/$ sudo apt-get install synaptic
Building dependency tree
synaptic is already the newest version.
13 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
Can not write log, openpty() failed (/dev/pts not mounted?)
Setting up dbus (1.2.4-0ubuntu1) ...
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
The system user `messagebus' already exists. Exiting.
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
invoke-rc.d: initscript dbus, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing dbus (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of dbus-x11:
dbus-x11 depends on dbus; however:
Package dbus is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing dbus-x11 (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of policykit:
policykit depends on dbus; however:
dpkg: error processing policykit (--configure):
No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of hal:
hal depends on dbus (>= 0.61); however:
hal depends on policykit (>= 0.7); however:
Package policykit is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing hal (--configure):
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libgnomevfs2-0:
libgnomevfs2-0 depends on dbus (>= 0.90); however:
dpkg: error processing libgnomevfs2-0 (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of policykit-gnome:
policykit-gnome depends on libgnomevfs2-0 (>= 1:2.17.90); however:
Package libgnomevfs2-0 is not configured yet.
policykit-gnome depends on policykit; however:
Package policykit is not configured yet.
policykit-gnome depends on dbus-x11; however:
Package dbus-x11 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing policykit-gnome (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gnome-mount:
gnome-mount depends on hal; however:
Package hal is not configured yet.
gnome-mount depends on policykit-gnome; however:
Package policykit-gnome is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing gnome-mount (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libgnome2-0:
libgnome2-0 depends on libgnomevfs2-0 (>= 1:2.17.90); however:
dpkg: error processing libgnome2-0 (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libbonoboui2-0:
libbonoboui2-0 depends on libgnome2-0 (>= 2.17.3); however:
Package libgnome2-0 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing libbonoboui2-0 (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libgnomeui-0:
libgnomeui-0 depends on libbonoboui2-0 (>= 2.15.1); however:
Package libbonoboui2-0 is not configured yet.
libgnomeui-0 depends on libgnome2-0 (>= 2.17.3); however:
libgnomeui-0 depends on libgnomevfs2-0 (>= 1:2.17.90); however:
dpkg: error processing libgnomeui-0 (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libgnome2-vfs-perl:
libgnome2-vfs-perl depends on libgnomevfs2-0 (>= 1:2.17.90); however:
dpkg: error processing libgnome2-vfs-perl (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libgnome2-perl:
libgnome2-perl depends on libbonoboui2-0 (>= 2.15.1); however:
Package libbonoboui2-0 is not configured yet.
libgnome2-perl depends on libgnome2-0 (>= 2.17.3); however:
libgnome2-perl depends on libgnomeui-0 (>= 2.22.0); however:
Package libgnomeui-0 is not configured yet.
libgnome2-perl depends on libgnomevfs2-0 (>= 1:2.17.90); however:
libgnome2-perl depends on libgnome2-vfs-perl (>= 1.00); however:
Package libgnome2-vfs-perl is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing libgnome2-perl (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libgnomevfs2-extra:
libgnomevfs2-extra depends on libgnomevfs2-0 (>= 1:2.17.90); however:
dpkg: error processing libgnomevfs2-extra (--configure):
dbus
dbus-x11
policykit
hal
libgnomevfs2-0
policykit-gnome
gnome-mount
libgnome2-0
libbonoboui2-0
libgnomeui-0
libgnome2-vfs-perl
libgnome2-perl
libgnomevfs2-extra
nefurimu@Malakim:/$ ...sigh
Most of it is just repetitive nonsense, but being a pretty large nub, I hardly begin to assume it might not be relevant. The big issue it just at the bottom. I soooo hope that code tags are how you make posts shorter....

Anyone else encounter this? I'm trying to do a 32-bit intrepid on a 64-bit jaunty... so I wonder if there is anything else I should keep in mind (or should I just downgrade to breezy, which seems to have worked for people?)

EDIT: and just to prove myself a nub, I found it worked the second time (after a few hours), without doing anything differently... oh well... thanks anyway

kiers
August 20th, 2010, 03:18 AM
interesting discussion!
I don't however see use of "jail" command/utility, as in
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man2/jail.2freebsd.html
????

is it better to use chroot or the jail utility for firefox?

v0lle85
September 18th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Hi!

On my System I found it necessary to also add an additional entry for /dev/pts in my /etc/fstab. Otherwise Synaptic failed executing vte_terminal_forkpty().

emoguitarist06
September 29th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Does the original post in this forum still apply to Lucid 64 bit?

I ask this because all of the post were prior to 10.04 and I know there was a lot of changes in 10.04 and I am personally not a linux guru so I just don't know.

My intent is to run pcsx2

Exüberance
June 7th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Does the original post in this forum still apply to Lucid 64 bit?

I ask this because all of the post were prior to 10.04 and I know there was a lot of changes in 10.04 and I am personally not a linux guru so I just don't know.

My intent is to run pcsx2

Yes, it does work. Just replace every instance of "hoary" with "lucid" and do this:
sudo cp /var/lib/locales/supported.d/* /chroot/var/lib/locales/supported.d/
just before the last line of step 1.

Whenever I use the chroot, I get the message bash: pkg-config: command not found, but it still works fine.

YannBuntu
July 11th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Dear all,
I have a related question, maybe one of you could know the answer? http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11035079#post11035079

dave01945
July 18th, 2011, 10:55 PM
hi hopefully someone can help everything seems to be working in chroot except my home directory is encrypted and is not mounted properly in the chroot enviroment.

the only files i can see in chrooted home directory are the "access private data" files not the decrypted home folder contents.

i have also read elsewhere i need to change "bind" to "rbind" to the home directory in fstab i have done this but still no luck accessing home folder in chroot.

dave01945
July 18th, 2011, 11:06 PM
solved my own problem just needed to change the entry in fstab to be specific to username instead of the whole home directory.

so fstab in now "/home/dave /chroot/home/dave none rw,rbind 0 0" instead of "/home /chroot/home none rw,rbind 0 0"

dave01945
July 18th, 2011, 11:27 PM
just restarted and now the same problem cant access home folder from from chroot really don't understand this any help would be greatly appreciated

dave01945
July 19th, 2011, 09:38 AM
solved it now i believe the problem was fstab was mounting the home directory before it was decrypted so i removed the entry from fstab and added a mount command to ~/.config/autostart so it mounts after the home directory is decrypted

fatriff
November 22nd, 2011, 07:10 PM
And the near 7 year old thread lives to see another day..

mfumbesi
August 21st, 2013, 03:10 PM
Thanks for this used, it mostly works. I used i386 precise instead of the hoary option.
Just struggling to install ROS and synaptic32.
Thank you.