PDA

View Full Version : a long-term SUSE user explains why Kubuntu meets his needs better,

newbie2
August 28th, 2006, 01:59 PM
http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/68383/index.html
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20060828#news
:cool:

ComplexNumber
August 28th, 2006, 02:01 PM
i find that not in the least surprising. not because suse is bad, but because he is obviously a kde user.

.t.
August 28th, 2006, 03:08 PM
SuSE = KDE. Like SuSE = Like KDE; .^. (why oh why can I not do a therefore symbol) Like SuSE = Like Kubuntu, non?

God, I'm in an algebra mood today. I dunno if that's a good thing...

bruce89
August 28th, 2006, 03:14 PM
(why oh why can I not do a therefore symbol)

∴, gucharmap to the rescue.

jdong
August 28th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Goes to show you how good Kubuntu has become.... SUSE used to be the absolute king of KDE distros.

I've recently started using Kubuntu more than Ubuntu, too, but I'm a KDE user at heart. Kubuntu's KDE configuration takes out the unnecessary clutter, my #1 complaint against KDE.

At this point, I'd still first recommend GNOME over KDE to a new Linux user, but I wouldn't be afraid to show a more experienced Windows user KDE as an alternative.

Hey, want a good way to scare your Windows friends away from Linux / impress them with your uber-geekiness? Boot up a Knoppix LiveCD and flip through the menus pretending like you know what half those programs are!

.t.
August 28th, 2006, 03:22 PM
∴, gucharmap to the rescue.
I've always hated character maps; in Windows, and Ubuntu the same. I wouldn't mind having more keys, but noooo.... It has to be in some obscure little app, from within which I cannot even deduce a sequence to type to get it to appear without the app; Alt-123 (- just an example) my ****!

But anyway, thanks!

Terracotta
August 28th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Basically it comes down to:
- Yast rocks, except it's package management (which is rather RPM-related than yast-related, apt rules :mrgreen: ).
- The susefirewall is nice.
- Kubuntu does the rest better.

I tried suse 10.2 beta 3 a few days ago, KDE looked like a mess (now I understand what people were talking about when claiming that KDE is bloated, those people haven't looked at Kubuntu's KDE then), package management and updating was a mess, six cd's is a lot to download, and you don't know upfront which cd's you're gonna need so having them all is a must.

richbarna
August 28th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Hey, want a good way to scare your Windows friends away from Linux / impress them with your uber-geekiness? Boot up a Knoppix LiveCD and flip through the menus pretending like you know what half those programs are!

Oh yeah Ha Ha! that is SO true Lol !

jdong
August 28th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Oh yeah Ha Ha! that is SO true Lol !

:). Yeah, but see, my problem is that I could tell you what every single program in that list does.... In fact, my friends made flashcards out of random packages in the ubuntu universe collection and I was able to give them an accurate description of the package like 95 of 100.