PDA

View Full Version : Linux installation without the Lenovo logo in startup?

username2758
January 27th, 2021, 05:38 PM
Hello all,

This is the first time I purchase a pre-built from Lenovo, and apparently everytime I do a clean install of any Linux distribution that annoying logo is there.

Also everytime I format Windows, the installation wizard automatically chooses Microsoft Windows Pro which is the version that came with a license key.

What should I do differently in the installation procedure?

Thanks!

SeijiSensei
January 27th, 2021, 06:14 PM
You mean the logo that appears during boot? AFAIK, that is generated by the BIOS and has nothing to do with the operating system.

That logo is hardly on screen for more than a few seconds so it seems hardly worth worrying about. Or is there another logo that you're talking about? I'm on a Lenovo machine right now and can't think of any other logos.

CelticWarrior
January 27th, 2021, 06:36 PM
As above.

Regarding
everytime I format Windows, the installation wizard automatically chooses Microsoft Windows Pro which is the version that came with a license key yes, that's exactly what is supposed to happen. But this isn't a Windows forum and certainly not Windows customer support. If you need to install a different Windows version than the one you already have an OEM license for stored in the EEPROM I suggest you contact Lenovo and/or Microsoft.

grahammechanical
January 27th, 2021, 06:51 PM
My motherboard dates back to 2006 and is BIOS not UEFI but the BIOS settings utility does allow me to disable the splash screen. I do find that splash screen useful. That the time I hit the del key to enter the BIOS when I need to change the boot order.

Consider this. The motherboard runs Power On Startup Tests (POST). The splash screen might just be hiding the printout from those test. Disabling the splash screen will not speed up the boot time but disabling the POST will.

Regards

username2758
January 27th, 2021, 11:28 PM
Regarding yes, that's exactly what is supposed to happen. But this isn't a Windows forum and certainly not Windows customer support. If you need to install a different Windows version than the one you already have an OEM license for stored in the EEPROM I suggest you contact Lenovo and/or Microsoft.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking here. If there is a way to override that and make any OS not recognize the OEM data.

You mean the logo that appears during boot? AFAIK, that is generated by the BIOS and has nothing to do with the operating system.

That logo is hardly on screen for more than a few seconds so it seems hardly worth worrying about. Or is there another logo that you're talking about? I'm on a Lenovo machine right now and can't think of any other logos.

My motherboard dates back to 2006 and is BIOS not UEFI but the BIOS settings utility does allow me to disable the splash screen. I do find that splash screen useful. That the time I hit the del key to enter the BIOS when I need to change the boot order.

Consider this. The motherboard runs Power On Startup Tests (POST). The splash screen might just be hiding the printout from those test. Disabling the splash screen will not speed up the boot time but disabling the POST will.

Regards

Sorry it's not the logo but the splash screen, my bad.

I'll have a look at the BIOS to see if there is a way to disable it.

Thanks!