PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't talk

josephfg
January 18th, 2021, 10:40 PM
I am running ubuntu server on my laptop and had a network but with the fossa upgrade it was lost. Now I have ubuntu studio on my file server but it is disco. Can I ever get these two to talk? Thanks in advance.

TheFu
January 18th, 2021, 10:57 PM
what do you mean by "talk".
ssh,scp,sftp,rsync all work perfectly here. Use sftp://<ip>/ in the file manager to connect between any systems running openssh-server. If you have DNS or static IPs setup for each system in the dhcp settings for your router, ip addresses won't move. Most modern dhcp servers support this - called "dhcp reservations"

tea for one
January 18th, 2021, 11:51 PM
I am running ubuntu server on my laptop and had a network but with the fossa upgrade it was lost. Now I have ubuntu studio on my file server but it is disco. Can I ever get these two to talk? Thanks in advance.

Ubuntu Disco Dingo reached End of Life in January 2020. You should install a current version.

josephfg
January 18th, 2021, 11:59 PM
I mean to see the files on my lenovo (file server) from my hp laptop.
I'll be accessing this forum on the HP.

I don't know networking protocols much.

TheFu
January 19th, 2021, 12:51 AM
Well, you should be using ssh, sftp, scp, rsync, sshfs, x2go, .... as the protocols between different Unix/Linux systems.
On all the systems, run this:

sudo apt install ssh fail2ban
After doing that, almost all Linux file managers will accept sftp://{insert-IP-address}/ in the URL to connect to a different system. Pretty easy and fast. Sorta ... just works. fail2ban prevents brute force attacks.

I use caja on my 20.04 desktop (that's the default Mate desktop file manager). Because I have a DNS server and my internal LAN uses static IPs for all systems (or DHCP reservations), I can use sftp://istar/ to connect to my other system named istar. I could use the IP address for it, but that's what DNS is for - so I don't have to know it.

Once you have ssh installed (that is a meta-package for both the ssh-client and the ssh-server), there are about 50 other tools that work for connecting Unix-to-Unix systems.

ssh is enough for

secure remote access to files via sftp
secure remote filesystem access via sshfs
secure remote CLI/shell access to systems with plain ssh
securely run applications on a different machine, but display the window locally
secure remote desktops via x2go/freenx
secure remote file replication with rsync (ssh is the default rsync protocol)
secure port forwarding of selected ports
secure remote editing with vim/gvim and other editors
pseudo-VPN with sshuttle

http://diogomelo.net/blog/10/ssh-tricks for people completely new to ssh wonders.
http://blogs.perl.org/users/smylers/2011/08/ssh-productivity-tips.html as you learn more.

ssh has been used since the mid-1990s. It is the only system-to-system connection tool that I know which is both more secure AND more convenient once keys have been setup for key-based authentication. This authentication is valid for any ssh-based connection. Imagine being asked for a password only once a day (or every 12 hours) to unlock the ssh-key, but then have full access to a different system. The system can be on your LAN or halfway around the world. ssh is how a single Unix/Linux admin can manage thousands of servers spread around the world. There are millions of these servers being managed by a relatively few people.

In the time you've spent already, you could have installed and been using key-based authentication between both your systems. When you know what you are doing, it is about 60 seconds of effort to install and configure ssh-keys. Plus, Windows supports ssh and sftp for about 2-3 yrs (Win10). Don't know why it took them so long.

I've provided steps to setup ssh-keys and transfer those keys in these forums a number of times.
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2433034&p=13916386#post13916386
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2443909&p=13959278#post13959278

Of course, there are thousands of different protocols. If you weren't using laptops, I'd suggest some others like NFS. But NFS needs a system that doesn't move. Isn't powered off and stays at the same location on the network. That isn't a typical laptop purpose. But NFS is the native way for Unix systems to share storage. 99.95% of the time, the NFS-client system doesn't know that the storage is actually from another system. All problems (cough .... almost all), work perfectly using NFS storage. NFS performance is excellent when the wired network connecting the clients and server are excellent.

"Talking" can mean by a number of other things like DLNA, XMPP, IRC, video streaming using webcams ... thousands of methods. But nobody can help if you aren't clear on what you hope to see "talk" between these systems.

josephfg
January 19th, 2021, 02:28 PM
ok, where can I get ubuntu studio for a stick drive in the latest release?

CelticWarrior
January 19th, 2021, 02:32 PM
https://ubuntustudio.org/download/

josephfg
January 19th, 2021, 04:12 PM
udisks-error
quark, 11

when I try to format my cruzer stick

TheFu
January 19th, 2021, 04:38 PM
when I try to format my cruzer stick

Maybe you should start a different thread so other experts in whatever the new issue is can help? Be clear. Don't assume anyone knows what you are trying to accomplish.

Unless formatting a cruzer stick (whatever that is) is somehow related to "can't talk"?

Different people here have different knowledge. Use a good thread title to get the people you want help from to look deeper.

josephfg
January 19th, 2021, 05:32 PM
update: I disabled remote administration in the BIOS on my file server.
Seems like a half-way point.

the message you referenced was directly related to the one just above, the error message I got.

quark, 11

working on it. . .

yancek
January 19th, 2021, 08:56 PM
What is on the usb? If nothing on it, what was on it? I'd start by rewriting the partition table, don't know if you know how to do that but it's fairly simple with GParted. Obviously this will destroy all data on the usb but that would happen anyway when you write Ubuntu to the usb.

Unless formatting a cruzer stick (whatever that is)

Sandisk Cruzer.

josephfg
January 20th, 2021, 10:54 AM
yes, thanks. I have this issue almost licked. Will keep updating until done.

yes I know this

I am now downloading the image direct to my stick. Should work!

failed once. uh-oh!

fails with 18s left!

CelticWarrior
January 20th, 2021, 11:31 AM
I am now downloading the image direct to my stick. Should work!

No, it definitely shouldn't. You need some tool to extract and write the ISO (AKA "burn") onto the USB stick in order to have a bootable drive.

josephfg
January 20th, 2021, 01:52 PM
ok, update: working on getting my lenovo internet ready then gonna d/l the new studio for it. Should work.

No, it definitely shouldn't. You need some tool to extract and write the ISO (AKA "burn") onto the USB stick in order to have a bootable drive.

Thank you. I will google the procedure.

Ubuntu Disco Dingo reached End of Life in January 2020. You should install a current version.

I am attempting to do just that.

josephfg
January 21st, 2021, 10:48 AM
ok, I installed Termius, cross-platform ssh client.

TheFu
January 21st, 2021, 04:47 PM
ok, I installed Termius, cross-platform ssh client.

Why?